12+

Narco

by FanOfFates

The shadows of night don't scare me,

The sounds in the dark I can let be.

I close my eyes and let the darkness come

But the fear isn't there until I feel the sun.

I can't tell which one is real,

I can't tell apart the feel

Of the nightmares in my head...

I sometimes don't understand how I'm not dead.

Every day, it's the exact same thing-

The monsters roar and bite and sting.

No one is home- no one can help me.

I wish I could leave, but outside I see

The burning, dry glare

And the brightness in the air.

I used to fear the dark

But now I am the only one...

The only one

With an endless, hopeless

Fear of the sun.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:18 am
deathwave1 wrote a review...

Hey! A late welcome to YWS! First off, the imagery in this poem was spot on. It transitions smoothly from each image to the next, so great job on that!

A few things that didn't make sense to me: the line "I can't tell apart the feel" doesn't sound grammatically correct to me. I'm terrible at remembering the actual rules of grammar, so I couldn't tell you what's wrong with it, but I think you should look for a way to rephrase it.

Second, the rhyme scheme. There isn't a clear, repeating pattern. Now, it didn't really bother me, but the lack of a pattern didn't do much to add to the poem either, so you may want to try and rewrite it with a repeating pattern.

I absolutely loved the last four lines. They seemed to draw the poem to a close smoothly, bringing together everything mentioned beforehand. Great job!

FanOfFates says...

Thanks for the review! Now that I go back and look at it, I agree that the line "I can't tell apart the feel" does seem sorta weird, so I'll try and think of something that fits better. As for the rhyme scheme, it's strange, broken pattern is somewhat intentional, to help symbolize the theme.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:27 am
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

I'll be honest. The first thing I did here, when I noticed a rhyme scheme, was check to see if you had a consistent pattern— and you don't. However, I actually enjoyed that about the poem. I liked the sudden break and repetition that reworked the rhyme scheme and drew attention to the crux of the poem, which was narcolepsy.

However, I find your beginning to be a little weak. While it flows well in terms of how it's read, but the switch from nightmares to daymares (is that a word?) is a bit jumbled, and the metaphor almost feels too internal. It's not bad— I like the images, even if they are a bit typical— but it's a little dense. It serves as good set-up to the wonderful ending, but I'm wondering if you couldn't have a better set-up that isn't quite as forgettable before we get to the puzzle.

I like this poem and find it pretty solid, but I think it could be better. Keep the stick and hitch of the end, keep the twist, but maybe rework how we get to that twist. Pulling from slice of life to make your metaphors grounded in reality could be something to try. Maybe muck around with free verse, or a different rhyme scheme— or not. Whatever you want.

Overall, this has the start of a really good voice, and it could do pretty well as is. However, I'd like to see you reach a little farther. Dig a little deeper. Keep the twist but make the details a little more grounded, maybe set a scene that is part real, part fantasy. Just something so we get an even more surreal picture.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

FanOfFates says...

Thank you for the great review! You made some great points, and I think I might do a few edits (with your tips in mind) when I have the time.

Rosendorn says...

Glad you liked it! If you want me to go more in depth with anything or review the revised version, let me know!

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:15 am
thedumbbrunette00 wrote a review...

Hey FanofFates, first off I wanna say welcome to the site! This is a great first work to post and I loved it! I am here to offer my opinion and critique! So let's get started!

I loved the creepy atmosphere and overall tone of this poem. It's so dark and tragic and terrifying that it really brings the reader out of their element, for example when you say,

I love this quote because it is just such a great contrast between the traditional way of thinking with light being a symbol of hope and the darkness being bad, but here, you have flipped it on its head, and I love that!

However, the rhyme scheme is a little wonky throughout the poem. It changes frequently like here it is a simple AABB scale,

Every day, it's the exact same thing-

The monsters roar and bite and sting.

No one is home- no one can help me.

I wish I could leave, but outside I see

The burning, dry glare

And the brightness in the air.

And then here, in the next line, it seems to have changed completely,

I used to fear the dark

But now I am the only one...

The only one

With an endless, hopeless

Fear of the sun.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on your work. I cannot wait to read more from you and I hope you like the site!

Keep Writing!
- TheDumbBrunette00

FanOfFates says...

Thanks for the review! As for the rhyme scheme, it's supposed to be a little all over the place to somewhat symbolize the topic of the poem. I tried to make it rhyme in some places, where as I tried to break the flow that rhyme gives in other places.
I think that the lines "I close my eyes and let the darkness come, but the fear isn't there until I feel the sun", and the ending are my favorite lines.
...
Is it bad to have favorite lines of your own poem? XD

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf