z

Young Writers Society



Treasure

by FaLlEn_AnGeL_13


There is a treasure,
Such as no other.
With something inside
That cannot be measured...

Emralds of Chance,
Garnets of honesty.
Diamonds and Rubies,
And pearls and Amethysts.
Gold of great value,
Saphires of favor.
Silver and copper,
And Peridot and opal.

Delicate, priceless porcelain dolls,
Are the guards that protect the treasure chest.
If they are broken,
They are not that easily fixed.

The map for this treasure cannot be found,
It must be gained.
You must earn the key,
The key to the treasure chest.

Coveted by many,
Recieved by few.
I have chosen to give this treasure to you...
I give you my trust.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 15

Donate
Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:29 am
Bronco says...



First two stanzas are simply fantastic, great imagery. Your language is quite picturesque! :D




User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 110

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 pm
zell says...



thats given me an idea of a alright poem idea thanks for that but thats a brilliant poem :D




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 26

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:05 pm
FaLlEn_AnGeL_13 says...



ok, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the constructive critisism :P




User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 1050
Reviews: 267

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:00 am
Boni_Bee says...



I agree with bubblewrapped. It is a very good poem though! :D Good job




User avatar
701 Reviews


Points: 10087
Reviews: 701

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 am
bubblewrapped wrote a review...



To be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings about this poem.

I loved the first two stanzas; the link between the jewels and honesty, chance, etc. was cleverly done and certainly beautiful imagery - although it would have worked better without the random capitals, as innerbeauty said.

What I think lets the poem down though is the fact that in the last three stanzas it reads to me like the rhythm and wording is suddenly constrained, as though you're forcing your mind to follow the story you want. Moreover, the link between these stanzas and the jewels of the previous verses is merely the repetition of "treasure", which again adds to the feeling of being forced and unoriginal. The verses kind of jump from one idea to the next, without any logical flow.

If you ask me, it might be better if you changed the ending. Instead of pointing out the moral of the poem to the reader, and limiting your creativity to the most obvious and well-used path, perhaps you could show how the trust is given/gained instead. This would require more of that gorgeous poetic imagery I know you're capable of, plus is would provide a freshness to the age-old concept of trust as a gift. Let your imagination wander - instead of dolls, maybe dragons are guarding the treasure, and our 'hero' ("you") must slay the dragon of Mistrust before gaining the riches beyond. Poetry is particularly awesome in that it gives you the opportunity to go past the obvious and into the subtle. Granted, dragons always guard treasure (or fair maidens) in fairytales; but that was only an example. I'm sure you can think of something far more unique.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I hope I've given you a few things to think about. Keep writing!
Cheers,
~bubblez




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 44

Donate
Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 am
innerbeauty555 wrote a review...



Excellent use of metaphor and imagery. I really like it. It really describes the idea of giving someone your trust well. You don't need the random capitals in the middle of the line in the second stanza, though. Great job as a whole, though. Keep it up! :-)

-*-*--Diana--*-*-





I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues