A Janitor's Adventure: 6.1

by ExOmelas

A high-pitched beeping woke Janny up. He jerked up and hit the back of his head against the headrest. He also hit the top of his head against the ceiling, and remembered with a groan how utterly tiny this cabin was. He felt his forehead and found a steering wheel width dent from where he’d been leaning against the console. The steering wheel didn’t move as he sat up, the manual controls locked as the autopilot ferried him along.

He tried to stretch his neck his neck and arms but there was no room to move. The best he could manage was a quick whip of his form, like he was an elastic band pivoting around an invisible bar in the air. Then he remembered what had woken him up.

The beeping was coming from behind his left ear so there was no way he was turning around to inspect it. But just to the left of the steering wheel a little strip was flashing orange, with the word ‘INCOMING’ in black in the middle. Janny looked out the window, but saw nothing approaching.

“I don’t see anything!” he cried, to nobody in particular.

“Would you like to superimpose a different view on the window?” asked a calm female voice.

“What the?” Janny twisted around as far as he could. “Who was that? Where are you?”

“This is shuttle control interface Kiax Three. Please speak your command in concise Endoleon,” the voice replied.

Janny raised his hands as far as he could without hitting his knuckles on the ceiling. “Finally, a robot that doesn’t sound like it’s underwater. This is some proper machinery, I say.”

“Outstanding request confirmation: would you like to superimpose a different view on the window?” the voice said.

“Right-o. Yes please,” Janny said. “Preferably the direction from which whatever is incoming is coming… in.”

An image flashed on the windscreen. It was barely distinguishable from the actual view outside - in fact Janny imagined if he were to screw up his eyes the stars would slip into different positions just like they had with the addition of this new image. But a moment later a little orange circle appeared around one of the dots near the bottom of the screen. It was getting bigger and bigger, and the circle was pulsing in time with the LED.

“Er… small shuttle robot? Have you any idea what that is?” Janny asked.

“That is a Type-Four Horidonian missile. Autopilot trajectory will intersect with missile trajectory in forty-three seconds,” the voice said.

“Well, that’s nice,” Janny said, “Is there any way to stop that?”

“Liaising with autopilot system,” the voice said before he’d even stopped talking. “Attempting to disable.”

Janny waved his hand in the air, not caring that it hit right into the console. “Right, then. Fine. Whatever. Let me know how it goes, if you would.”

He gripped the steering wheel tight, willing it to let him swerve to the right. All the while the dot in the picture was getting wider, the beeping getting louder. He squeezed his eyes closed as he blinked, desperately trying to force the missile to stop in its tracks. What even was a Horidonian missile, or a Horidorian for that matter? And what in the galaxy did it want with him?

“Agh!” he cried, as the cabin jerked to the right. He sprang backwards, letting his hands slip off the steering wheel. Once it had righted itself, Janny held it properly and trained his eyes on the approaching missile.

But before he could even decide which way to go, the cart rumbled, shaking his bones.

“Second missile detected,” the interface said.

Janny didn’t reply as he watched the missile that had passed beneath them continue forward. It powered forward as the missile got closer, barrelling out to meet it. When they collided, they one that had come from below the ship let off a puff of green dust, which settled on the other and slowly, silently, began to dissolve it. When the first missile was completely gone, the other turned around and zoomed back the way it had come, shaking the craft again as it passed. The backs of Janny’s legs shook for a little while after it was gone. Then a few sparks of pain shot around his thighs, settling into a dull tightness just above the knee.

“Was… was that you?” Janny asked, eyes flitting around the cabin as if maybe he could meet the eyes of the robot.

“Yes,” replied a voice, but it was much deeper than the interface robot.

“Lestili?” Janny asked, carefully balancing the steering wheel to keep his trajectory on a roughly forward path.

“Yes, it’s me. It was me. I saved your skin,” Lestili said. “Sorry it took so long. My radar noticed the missile hours ago but you’re so far out. Now, let’s just reset that autopilot. What you want to do is-”

“Wait.” Janny did his absolute best to keep his voice even. “Who sent that thing, and why did they want to blow me up?”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Lestili said, “They probably want to blow me up. I’m sure they just thought I was you. Joke’s on them though. Took them out with their own Dissolution Dust.”

“Well then why did they want to blow you up?”

“Look, TIPO has many enemies. The Horidorians were annoyed about this campaign we ran where we hacked some of their communications. But we were only doing it because they were contravening trade law. Everyone does it!” Lestili cried. She had clearly been through this argument many times from the speed at which she was talking. “But seemingly in this specific case there just so happened to be Gifens monitoring our communication and Gifens are the main competition of Horidorians in this one specific market. But that market was becoming more-”

“Oh my good Gods,” Janny said, putting up his hands.

“You did ask,” Lestili replied.

“Yes, well, forget I did so,” Janny said, sighing.

“Well, in any case, here’s how you put the autopilot back on,” Lestili said.

Janny frowned. “You can’t just do it remotely? Not through whatever channel you’re speaking to me on?”

“No, no. It’s a calibration thing,” Lestili explained. “The interface is attuned to your voice.”

Janny took a deep breath. He’d been here before, even if there had been a friendly admin assistant to help out and take him to a hotel. But somehow, despite the dark, empty space around him, and the pain in his legs that was intensifying at a frankly alarming rate, his breathing was slow.

“Computer interface person?” he said.

“What are you doing?” Lestili asked.

“Yes, how can I help?” the interface replied.

Janny grinned. His heart rate did begin to speed up a bit, but he didn’t mind. “Look, Lestili, I was not made to be out here dodging missiles and hanging around in big black artificial space cubes-”

“It’s starlight purple,” Lestili muttered.

“I was made to focus my every ounce of being on a mop, a brush, a duster. I love that feeling of completion, when there’s not a single speck in sight. It’s like a blanket of new-fallen snow. You know, the way it is before it gets all slushy when kids run around building snowmen and having snowball fights.” Janny’s smile grew wider as he pictured a particularly grubby navigation screen he’d finally got clean last week, after days of persistence.

“What’s your point, Janny?” Lestili said, her voice flat.

“My point is that flying spacecraft is not where I thought my life would end up, but if I have to fly a spacecraft to get back to my crew - Fri, Cri and Upumsel - the best, if slightly reluctant team money could ever buy, then so be it.”

“Janny…”

Janny stared straight ahead and said, “Set location: Hub Six, Flexie District. Or the nearest port to that, or some such suitable arrival point.”

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am

And we continue on with the beginning of the chapter before last.

First Impression: Okay..Janny taking matters into his own hands there. Good for him. And he assumes that the craft is in fact programmed to be able to travel back to a port. Big assumption there considering it's a craft meant for a hideaway.

Anyway let's get to it,

Did Lestila just forget to mention something as important as a shuttle control interface? That seems like something that should probably have been mentioned.

Does he seriously not know what a missile is? That seems really unlikely.

That's a really good description there.

So she hung around or did the radar detect the missile like immediately after she left? It seems like quite a coincidence that she just turns up out of the blue there.

Well this section of space is just full of people wanting to blow each other up for various reasons. Doesn't anyone get along?

Once again I have to say the subtle humor is amazing.

The question now remains....will shoot him out of the air or does the ship even listen to him?

Aaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Well another interesting chapter introducing this attach, although I feel like that whole thing was just to get Janny to snap and head towards the Hub and will be not be followed up on. Well, let's see if Janny manages to get away.

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:11 pm
mellifera wrote a review...

Hey Bisc! I'm back for one more today :)

He tried to stretch his neck his neck and arms but there was no room to move.

;)

I loved this line, it gave me a chuckle. Some of Janny's dialogue really is the best.

so far, Janny has been alone for a few hours, and this is already my favourite conversation that he's had with anyone (even though its a robot. semantics).

the cart rumbled, shaking his bones.

This probably isn't what you meant to convey, but: he has bones? How does this affect his ability to reform his body? Do the bones restrict how much he can shape his form? Do they reform with the rest of his body? rubber bones, if you will I'm CURIOUS

When they collided, they one that had come from below the ship let off a puff of green dust,

the*

When the first missile was completely gone, the other turned around and zoomed back the way it had come, shaking the craft again as it passed. The backs of Janny’s legs shook for a little while after it was gone.

I don't think this has been a major issue in your prose, but in this particular instance, there is some repetition right here? I think I'd change the sentences formatting around? "When the first missile was completely gone, the other turned around and zoomed back the way it had come. As it passed, it shook the craft, and the tremors remained even after it had disappeared."

I will say, and I'm sure I'm going to sound like an absolute broken record, but there wasn't a moment where Janny ever came across as panicked? I think the dialogue could remain the same, but if there was some conveyance of fear when the missile comes, it would read better? Maybe he is just that calm, but it felt disproportionate to the situation, and also to afterwards with lines like "Janny did his absolute best to keep his voice even." because, to me, that reads as "he's shaken from the situation that just happened" or even "he's angry at Lestili that she's being so dismissive", but I can't tell because there isn't enough contextually for what Janny is experiencing/feeling right now.

“The interface is attuned to your voice.”

How, or rather, when did she attune it to his voice?

xD

“Janny…”

OKAY OKAY but I LOVED this scene and this conversation?? I know you SAID he was going to be more assertive, and this was cataloguing his journey to that point, but I love how evidenced it is in this scene, and how it really stands out here! You've been building it up like this for a while now, with little things like running away from Ennet and Grescin at the hub, and it really comes into play here. I stand by what I've said in the past, but I ]really like the outcome of everything into this moment (even though we're not quite at the end yet haha).

I think that's all I have for you today! Great work on this chapter, danger could be heightened but I adored the ending!

I hope you're doing good <3 I'll see you around!

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:41 am

Hi Bisc,
this is my first time reading any of this story I believe. Let's get started.

"“This is shuttle control interface Kiax Three. Please speak your command in concise Endoleon,”" ---> I think this is great robotic language. :) Good word choice! And this was consistent throghout the piece - it was technical enough to seem beleivable, but not so technical that it was difficult to understand.

In the part where Lestili takes control of the interface and starts conversing with Janny, it was a bit difficult to picture or understand how Lestili was suddenly able to hear and speak with Janny and why they weren't more surprised by that.

Janny was also very calm, cool and collected while they were waiting for the bomb or whatever was coming towards them, but maybe that's part of their character.

I thought this was a really lovely description right here: "“I was made to focus my every ounce of being on a mop, a brush, a duster. I love that feeling of completion, when there’s not a single speck in sight. It’s like a blanket of new-fallen snow. You know, the way it is before it gets all slushy when kids run around building snowmen and having snowball fights.”"

my only real complain is it seems like the ending has somewhat of a major revelation out of Janny when they're admitting that life isn't where they thought it would be. But I think that the intensity of the moment is undercut too much by the asides that are in that dialogue piece, "“My point is that flying spacecraft is not where I thought my life would end up, but if I have to fly a spacecraft to get back to my crew - Fri, Cri and Upumsel - the best, if slightly reluctant team money could ever buy, then so be it.”" -- I don't think right there is the best place to say they're reluctant, or even to name them, because although it's kind of funny, I think it really undercuts any emotional intensity of that moment.

Overall, not a ton happened in this chapter, but I like the world set-up and Janny seems like a likeable and humorous lead.

alliyah

Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:28 am
tgirly wrote a review...

You do a wonderful job making the whole missile situation feel just a little bit ridiculous in a good way. It reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Good Omens, and it's really fun and refreshing to read.

I love how defensive Lestili is about the color of the ship! That's such a great detail!

This is really good and really well-written. However, I'm not quite sure it makes sense for Janny to be saying all of this aloud. Maybe he could just say the first line, and the rest of it could be him thinking it? It seems like a lot to share, and just a bit too off-the-cuff eloquent for the type of character he is?

This is a solid chapter; it does a great job of moving the story along, both plot-wise and in relation to Janny's character arc.

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf