z

Young Writers Society



Steps Ahead of Thunder

by Evi


Entry for Cat and June's Horror Contest. Not sure quite how horrific it is, though, so I'd appreciate any reactions, comments, and suggestions on how to make it even scarier as well as better all-around. Enjoy!

The thunder is always a step behind me. I seem to manage to just barely evade it every time, remaining safely buried under the blankets while this storm turns my city into a whirl-wind of flying leaves and pelting raindrops. The safety is simply an illusion, though—I know that much. For, between every strike of lightning, I can hear the slow, uneven steps of the man in my house.

He certainly doesn’t deserve to be called my father; he barely deserves to be called a man. He is a monster. That much I can be sure of. Tonight, Mother and Abigail sleep in the attic, where the noise of the television can lull them into nightmares, but I am trapped downstairs, where I have nothing but the occasional crash of thunder to keep me company.

There is a dripping sound coming from above this room I’m in, but I’ve chosen to believe that it is simply the rain. The alternative is almost too horrifying to think of, although now the image is etched into my mind. And then this scent. It's the aroma of terror, and I'm suffocating in it. Why can't I breathe? Why won't my head clear? Is this what it's like to die of pure, all-consuming fear?

Not unfounded fear, though. I'm not naive enough to believe that those screams, that shattering sound, the shrill, broken voices I heard in the night were all simply background noises to my dreams. I suppose there’s no shying around the fact.

He’s going to kill us.

I could be the last one left.

I take a shaky breath and open my eyes when the footsteps stop. I'm not quite foolish enough to think that he’s gone, but I am foolish enough to throw off my blankets and crawl about the darkness, my heart threatening to rip itself from my chest. My first priority is to immediately lock the door, and when I do, I hear the click. It should be comforting; now, I can be sure that he is at least one locked door away. But God knows that one locked door won’t keep him out.

There are benefits to having a sparsely furnished room. There is no need for me to worry about bumping against a table corner or tripping over a stack of books. However, there are disadvantages, too: nowhere for me to hide. Except, of course, the walk-in closet, which is what I am headed towards.

The tricky part comes with opening the closet door. The doorknob is not an option; it is still caked with Abigail’s dried blood from the last of his rampages. The very thought of touching that, touching the part of my sister that this monster ripped from her, repulses me.

It’s almost funny, if you find that sort of thing funny. He does. I will not touch her blood because it had been put there by him, even though his blood is already coursing through my veins. I have his eyes. His beautiful, horrible, dangerous, lovely green eyes.

For a brief moment, I am overwhelmed by the urge to rip them from their sockets.

However, I do value my life. The doorknob is the only way in, and if I must use it, I will. Just not with my bare hand.

There is not much in the room for me to work with, but Mother's gloves are draped over the arm of a rocking chair in the corner. She won't mind them touching the blood, I'm sure; she never wears them anyway. I slip through the shadows, reaching down to grab one just as another flash of lightning strikes. It casts shadows around the room, and I see a flicker of movement to my left.

For ten careful, endless seconds, I freeze over the rocking chair and wait until I've convinced myself that the movement was just a shadow. It's mocking me, I'm sure, playing up on my paranoia.

I don't wait for the shadow to come back; I reach down and grab the glove.

It doesn’t fit me, of course. Mother’s dainty hands slip so easily into the lovely satin, but my bony fingers are too long for it. Another thing of the monster that I’ve inherited. Wonderful.

I am shaking as the door swings open. The noise it makes is so loud that I’m absolutely positive that its creak will be the death of me. Surely he heard it. Surely he’s on his way now, stumbling through the house, suspended somewhere between rage and drunkenness. Surely this darkness is about to swallow me whole.

The lightning comes first, a shock of white light that leaves me seeing spots. Believe it or not, I’ve paid attention in science class. The speed in which the thunder follows the lightning depends on how far away the storm is. I am paralyzed in the closet doorway, counting the seconds until I hear the low rumble. One…two…three…four…five…six…seven…eight…nine…

According to experts, those nine seconds of waiting mean that the storm isn’t quite here yet. It’s still a supposedly ‘safe’ distance away. But I know better. There is no such thing as ‘safe’ anymore. The storm is here. The storm is now.

“Jules?” I freeze in the doorway as a shaky, panicked voice whispers my name.

Oh my God.

“Abby?" I choke on my own words. "Abby, what are you doing here?”

No, Abigail. No, no, no. This isn’t right. This isn’t safe. I can’t do this anymore.

I haven’t heard his footsteps for at least five minutes. It should be reassuring, but it isn’t. At least when I can hear him I have some way to gauge how far away he is. It’s like the lightning and the thunder, only backwards. The rumble of his footsteps comes first, then the flash of his fury.

The door shuts behind me much louder than I’d intended, but I stumble forwards anyway until I can hear Abigail’s erratic breathing. It’s not a weakness she normally shows; I’ve trained her not to give herself away by simply breathing.

I bend down slowly, trying to find my voice amidst this terror that's building up inside of me. My hands are gentle as they probe around the darkness until I feel her arm, covered in goose-bumps.

“Abigail, where’s Mom? When did you get down here?” My words are just above a whisper, but she hears me. She always hears me.

She sobs, and I feel something dark and ominous growing inside of me. The lightning strikes again, but from the closet not even lightning can penetrate these shadows. “He came up and threw something at the TV,” she says in a hollow voice. “And he…he…”

I am numb as I feel for injuries, running my hands over her legs and arms. She whimpers when I get to her elbows, so I categorize them as bruises and continue up to her face. It’s not as bad as last time, but her scar has been opened up again and her left earring ripped straight from its hole. I bite my lip, forcing back a scream, and carefully take off the right one.

“Abby, honey, how about you take a deep breath and wipe your eyes? Let’s try to be very quiet. The storm is almost over,” I say, my voice shaking less than I had expected. Maybe it’s because I’ve almost convinced myself that I’m talking about the storm outside.

I hear a door slam somewhere, and I stop breathing. Abby’s sobs are under control now, and it’s all I can do to rub her where she doesn’t have bruises and try to wipe off some of the blood with a T-shirt that’s hanging above us. I hope it’s his. I hope he opens the closet tomorrow to try and wear his T-shirt, only to find that it’s covered in his youngest daughter’s blood. I hope it makes him sick.

When his footsteps are audible again, I can figure out his pattern. He’s walking in circles around the island in the kitchen, probably looking for something in the cabinets. Lying to myself, I am convinced that he is searching for his sleeping pills, which Mom always moves when she’s cleaning. Sleeping pills, Julia. He’s looking for sleeping pills.

No, he’s not. “Jules,” Abby whispers, “he’s trying to find another knife.”

Another knife?

And then she falls into me, shaking and crying. “He…Mom…the stairs, I ran and—”

“Abby, please, it’s okay.” She’s being too loud. It’s a horrible thing for me to think, but I need complete silence. “We’ll talk in a minute, sweetie, just breathe…”

More lightning.

One…two…three…four…five…

The storm is gaining on us.

I hear his footsteps stop for a brief moment, and then he’s running. Running towards us. Shaking the doorknob, and yelling, cursing, shrieking, laughing, singing, shouting. With a deafening crack, I hear the door give way as he bursts through.

Correction: the storm has arrived.

All that is left for me to do is hold my sister as we huddle in the corner. I don’t know what she’s doing, but I’m thinking about the glove on my hand. My mother is so fragile, so dainty. She could easily be shattered by a gust of wind, if it was strong enough. Until now, I don’t think he’s ever been strong enough to break her. But tonight, the thunder is louder, more destructive. I don’t think we can escape it any longer.

When he throws open the closet door, the lightning flashes again, and my very own bloodshot green eyes are staring back at me.

The thunder is no longer a step behind me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 189

Donate
Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:39 pm
Jon wrote a review...



Hi Evi! Jon here!

You're about to receive a Wise review! :lol:


Looks like I'm critiquing my competition, I see. I've also entered their contest, well, I'm entering.

The alternative is almost too horrifying to think of, although now the image is etched into my mind.

What exactly is the alternative, Evi? You don't say it. You should add it in, it'll cost y points in the contest. :wink:



He’s going to kill us.

So just one stormy night your father decides to kill you? What is his motive, why is he doing this? Is he crazy? This is a big assumption to be thinking when you're lying in bed. You should add a little thought saying something along the lines of, "I've heard him planning it for months now." Or something like that. The way it is, is just so random. :wink:

I could be the last one left.

Chilling! :shock: But then, if she was the last one left, wouldn't she hear her mother and other sibling screaming or something? Wouldn't she know? I mean, there is bound to be screaming if someone is being killed. :wink:

The tricky part comes with opening the closet door. The doorknob is not an option; it is still caked with Abigail’s dried blood from the last of his rampages. The very thought of touching that, touching the part of my sister that this monster ripped from her, repulses me.
This is a good effect, but, why would she not wash it off? If that were my door knob and it had blood on it, I would definitely wash it off. Maybe you could say just the thought of touching the door knob where her blood Used to be. :wink:


I am overwhelmed by the urge to rip them from their sockets.

I get that the character hates this person, but, torturing herself? She seems a little crazy here. :? If she is overwhelmed by doing it, she most likely will. Maybe a different word choice is needed?

Mother's gloves are draped over the arm of a rocking chair in the corner. She won't mind the blood

I thought this was dried blood, Evi. Blood wouldn't get on the gloves in the first place if it was dry.

No, Abigail. No, no, no. Go back up with Mom. This isn’t right. This isn’t safe. I can’t do this anymore.

Why would Jules want her sister to go outside of the safe room into the halls where her father/killer is? She is contradicting herself. It would be safer to keep her in there. Anyway, how did she get in there? The door was locked. :shock:

I bend down slowly, the bruises on my legs screaming at me to just fall down and sleep.

I highly doubt any part of her body wants to go to sleep. She is terrified. All of that adrenaline would keep her active and stronger than normal. :wink:

I hear his footsteps stop, and then he’s running. Running towards us. Shaking the doorknob, and yelling, cursing, shrieking, laughing, singing, shouting.


Wouldn't his footsteps get faster if he was running? Why would they stop? If they had stopped her wouldn't be running?

Correction: the storm has arrived.

All that is left for me to do is hold my sister as we huddle in the corner. I don’t know what she’s doing, but I’m thinking about the glove on my hand. My mother is so fragile, so dainty. She could easily be shattered by a gust of wind, if it was strong enough. Until now, I don’t think he’s ever been strong enough to break her. But tonight, the thunder is louder, more destructive. I don’t think we can escape it any longer.

At the very end of this I got chills. Good job.


Although, there is a huge plot hole in this piece. How in the world did Abby get in the closet? If her earring was ripped from her head, her scar was split open and she had bruises, wouldn't she be screaming? Also, how did she get away? It is hard to believe she got away without the father following her and catching her. You should add something like where the mother wards him off and tells her to run. But even then, Jules would hear the screaming. Why did she not hear the screaming? Also, I thought her door was locked. You should have the father bust through the door. All you have him do is swing it pen.


Watch the little details, Evi.


Other than that, it was good. I liked the way you referenced the storm to his rage, very clever. :wink:


---Jon---
:D


P.S. -- You have now had a 'Wise Review' XD




User avatar
365 Reviews


Points: 3225
Reviews: 365

Donate
Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 am
Antigone Cadmus says...



:oops:

Evi!!! Here I finally am! As you can tell, I'm so embarrassed about this delay that I am using multiple exclamation marks, which I normally think looks hideous. !!!!!!!!!!!

Onto your review. :oops:

bend down slowly, the bruises on my legs screaming at me to just fall down and sleep


This is probably just my personal opinion, but would bruises really make it hurt to stand? Normally when I have a bruise, they only really begin to hurt when pressure is applied. Maybe you could say she is tired from having to stand still in one position for so long?

Correction: the storm has arrived.


Personal opinion again, but I don't really like this line. Something about it seems so casual. It just seems too simply stated.

Does that make any sense?

Okay, there are some general issues I'd like to press on:

The "Locked" Door

So the door is locked, this I understand. :D
How did the sister and the father get into the locked room? You could mention your MC hearing the lock being jimmied open or something like that.

The Dead Mother

Abusive Father throws something at the TV, and as we are lead to infer, kills MC's mother. How does MC not hear this? I feel like there would be loud crashes and screaming.

Mother/Mom

Several times you use "Mom," as the name for the mother, but once you use "mother".

It is fine to interchange between "my mother" and "Mom", but since you are using "Mom" to re-name the mother (i.e, the mother's name is considered to be "Mom") you should stay consistent with it.

Did that make any sense whatsoever?

Hope this helped,
Sakura




User avatar
537 Reviews


Points: 60568
Reviews: 537

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:53 pm
Evi says...



Thank you so much everyone! I'm glad you seem to like it.

huhaballoo- I'll think about trying to hint at their ages, but I'm not sure quite how to go about that. Thanks for your input!

Sakura-- yes, this is actually my first attempt at writing in present-tense, so it was rather experimental. I corrected most of the things you pointed out. Muchos gracias!

Clo-- I had a lot of trouble with the ending; namely, not knowing where to cut off. In the end, I decided to let your imagination come up with Jules and Abigail's fates instead of me spelling it out. ;) Thanks so much!

Blink-- I tried to add some more paranoia like you said, and I put some dialogue tags on the bit that people were getting confused about. Thanks for the review!

^_^ I'm glad that my first attempt at horror and my first attempt at present tense wasn't a complete trainwreck, at least! Thank you to all for your comments and gold stars, and I'm still editing.

~Evi




User avatar
243 Reviews


Points: 13719
Reviews: 243

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:36 pm
Blink wrote a review...



Ugh. YWS just ate my review. Sorry about that.

But, to summarise, this was fantastic! I really enjoyed reading it; the pace was great and the word choices definitely worked. The only nitpick I have is where Clo said about the “Abby? Abby, what are you doing here?” line. I thought it was the girl who said that. Another thing; you said the door was locked? So how did she get in?

There really isn't a lot to say! However, I thought that you could definitely work towards using some more sensory imagery. The storm metaphor was fantastic, but how does everything smell? What can Jules feel? Is the window frozen, or damp and cold? These bring the character, and thus the reader, out of their comfort shell and make them worried. Some paranoid fear could be good, too; the flicker in the dark or the flash of shadow in the garden, the creak outside the door.

My last suggestion is too keep everything perhaps a bit more intimate between the reader and Jules. Is she shivering? Is her heart punching her chest? These little things can have a surprising effect on the story. You've already done a good job on that, to be honest. But just a thought.

Well done, and good luck with the contest!

Best
Blinky




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 402

Donate
Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:05 pm
Clo wrote a review...



Evi! :)

---

I slip through the shadows reaching down to grab one just as another flash of lightning strikes.

There should be a comma in there. "I slip through the shadows, reaching down to grab one".

“Jules?”
Oh my God.
“Abby? Abby, what are you doing here?”

We haven't really been acquainted with their name enough, so I'm not entirely sure, upon reading these names, who is who. That makes these names a little redundant, unless you specific that this person is calling for their mother/sister/daughter.

“Abby, honey, how about you take a deep breath and wipe your eyes? Let’s try to be very quiet. The storm is almost over,” I say, my voice shaking less than I had expected. Maybe it’s because I’ve almost convinced myself that I’m talking about the storm outside. [s]Weather I can handle. It would be pointless to be afraid of the weather when I have much more pressing issues to face.[/s]

I don't find the last part repetitive, since you've already drawn up a lot of comparisons between the two types of storms.

---

Holy canoli, Evi! That was amazing.

Well, I suppose I would like to know their fate -- except it seems a little obvious, and in this case probably best left unsaid. Other than that, I can find no criticism on this piece besides what I've already pointed out. This was really amazing, and I truly enjoyed it.

Good luck with the contest! I'm sure you'll place. :)

~ Clo




User avatar
365 Reviews


Points: 3225
Reviews: 365

Donate
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 am
Antigone Cadmus wrote a review...



Hey, Evi! Here as requested.

First off, I'd like to ask you a question: Have you ever written in present tense before? Present tense always strikes me as being very difficult to write in. Many of your sentences were just a tad bit awkward. :wink: I think this awkardness was mainly due to the present tense. To me, using words like "for" before a sentence makes it choppy, but it may be my personal opinion.

The thunder is no longer a step behind me.


^^ I felt like that quote was the only reason you put this in present tense, because she is (?) killed at the end, I assume.

I don't know if that made any sense, oh well... :backtotopic:

For, between every strike of lightning and roll of thunder, I can hear the slow, uneven steps of the man in my house.


Hmmm. The thunder is a metaphor for the father and/or his abuse, correct? Because of that, I find it odd to mention "a roll" of thunder in the same sentence that mentions him explicitly as the father.

Maybe this makes more sense: Right now, you are basically saying you here the father (the thunder) in between strikes of lightning and thunder (the father). Does that make any sense?

So, I would rewrite:
"For, between every strike of lightning, I can hear the slow, threating rolls of thunder shake my house."
or::
"For, between every stike of lightining, I can hear the slow, uneven steps of the man in my house."

Or something like that.

. A monster, he is


This is a bit Yoda-ish, Evi. :wink: You could simply say, "He is a monster."

Definitely too horrifying to write,


You never mentioned she was writing. And if you are implying that she is writing this down later as a memoir, that would make no sense, either. The ending implies that she is killed.

Instead, I decide, I will use Mother’s glove. It is always in my pocket


Why on earth does she carry around one glove in her pocket? Also, this led me to believe that the mother had died previously. Why else would your MC have one of her gloves?

which Mom always


Sometimes you call her Mother, and sometimes you call her Mom. Stay consistant.

I'm really sorry, Evi, my mother is made at me at the moment. This shall be posted in two parts.
:D

Hope this helped,
Sakura




User avatar
529 Reviews


Points: 30280
Reviews: 529

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:41 pm
xDudettex wrote a review...



Hey Evi =]

I really enjoyed reading this :D You definitely succeeded in giving me goosebumps!

It flowed really well and you managed to keep the suspense from start to finish.

I agree with 'hahaballoobuh123' that maybe you could add in a hint at how old the two girls are. my baby sister - You say 'baby sister' so I assumed that she was young, around three, but then Abby seems a bit older when they are in the closet.

I hope he opens the closet tomorrow to tries and wear his T-shirt, - should 'tries' be 'try' ?

It’s like the lightning and the thunder, only backwards. The rumble of his footsteps comes first, then the flash of his fury. - I loved this line :D

Overall I think you did a great job!

Good luck in the contest :D

xDudettex




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 152

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:55 am
Musicaloo7311 wrote a review...



Evi, dear! *hugs*

Wonderful story. You managed to include her whole situation so you didn't leave the reader wondering, until the very end when you stop at the climax. (I usually don't like when writers do such a thing, but this one worked nicely.)

One nit-pick:

Until [s]k[/s]now, I don’t think he’s ever been strong enough to break her.


It's now, not know, silly darling. :)

Anyway, I loved this piece! I think it was suspenseful. Good luck in the contest; I'm sure you'll do well!

Love,
Music. :)

P.S.: You scared me.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:58 am
hahaballoobuh123 wrote a review...



Oh my gosh, I am literally shaking right now. That was amazing! Your writing has amazing voice, imagery, and the metaphor with the thunderstorm put so much in perspective. I love the fury that this . . . young girl (?) puts forth towards her abusive father. The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is to tell, not straight out, but in a way, how old the two girls are. In my mind, i can imagine Julia as about 10 and Abigail as about . . . 5, maybe? And am I right to draw the conclusion that their mother has been killed? (Ooo, I have serious goose bumps . . . I'm shaking!)

And:
[ my very own bloodshot green eyes ]
^^^ This confuses me slightly, but I can't put my finger on exactly why . . .

Other than the ages, this is amazing!
Keep writing!

~hahaballoobuh123~





We know what a person thinks not when he tells us what he thinks, but by his actions.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer