z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Brink of the Apocalypse

by EscaSkye


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

Can you remember the city

when we used to describe it as monochrome?

It’s not the case anymore.

*

Do you smell death

when the pus reached a kid’s organs

and poison entered her blood stream?

*

Can you see the yellow flames

lapping at brown huts and corrugated iron

amidst the dark grey sky

showering homeowners who try to save their property

or their kids?

*

How about that blot of red

staining the concrete pavement

and the man sprawled on the road?

*

Do you hear the cries of the parents

who realize their son is gone?

*

Maybe, the world wasn’t so monochrome before,

maybe it was interesting as it was when we:

were waking up to the alarm,

were driving to work or

were hanging out with friends.

*

Back when our habits and daily schedules

didn’t make us aware

of how much our city could seem like

it’s at the brink of the apocalypse.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 3187
Reviews: 173

Donate
Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:11 am
fukase wrote a review...



Hi,
I will make a freewriting review now, I wish you understand.

***

My first impression was you are making a good image. I like how you relate the biology horror with the whole poem. It's kinda horror-ible, but it should be one to strengthen the meaning. The juxtaposition of the current city and the previous one is thing you one to focus at, so do best at that.

Can you remember the city

when we used to describe it as monochrome?

Maybe, the world wasn’t so monochrome before,

maybe it was interesting as it was when we:

It's better to continuously us the word, city, instead of, world, as you are totally saying something different which it WILL definitely not convey the original meaning that you meant.

A little sentence flaw:

How about that blot of red

staining the concrete pavement

and the man sprawled on the road?


Staining and sprawled are both in different form in the same sentence. I consider making it the same when I think they won't change the original meaning.

***

Nutshell, I believe this poem is good. But are past and present...?

(You continue it, I don't know what to say that, so it's best to stay silent.)

Best of luck,
Keep writing.

~Memo
~MDH




User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 10071
Reviews: 86

Donate
Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:25 pm
View Likes
reikann wrote a review...



Hey!
I truly do like the underlying idea here. 'Monochrome' is a fun word to begin with, and using it as a running metaphor I think is a powerful visual metaphor for encroaching chaos.
The subject matter of this poem appears to be a reference to the series of violent events currently rocking this real world. The first verse has a sense of wistfulness to it, perhaps a referral to before the constant news of mayhem. (If I was certain of the author's nationality of American, which she may well be; I can't claim to know; I'd say it's harkening to a pre-9/11 world.)
The strongest motif there is to work with here is that of color. While including the tactile senses of smell and hearing do strengthen the presence of the scene, the color motif makes for the more compelling poem. If verses two and five could slip in a color reference apiece, or maybe even rearrange itself to center of that.
The grammar here is good, even as prose. Kudos.
The asterisks between verses seem to break them into separate segments more so than just a line break could, like walls. This works great between the bookend wistfulness and the descriptions of the city, but perhaps the chaos of the city would be better maintained if the asterisks weren't placed between paragraphs of description? Just a thought.
The title matches the work, yay.
Overall, this is a poem with a clear message and evocative imagery that could make heavier use of the running metaphor to achieve a greater effect than as it now stands.




EscaSkye says...


Hi!

I removed a color reference from five, thinking it might not have been needed, but it looks like it would have been better with that after all. Also, I can assure you that I am not American, haha.

Thank you for the review! I really appreciate it.



reikann says...


'cause, you know, monochrome is such a cool word to build a poem off of, adding more colors would be better contrast, imo. If you're planning on a second draft!
Was I right about this being about the chaos of the modern world? (If so, is there any event in particular that triggered this?) Just curious.



EscaSkye says...


@reikann, ironically, this was triggered by events of the past than what's happening right now. Not 9/11 per se, but more from events that are not that popularly known.



reikann says...


Like what, might I ask?




Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
— Mark Twain