z

Young Writers Society



I Need You To Write. - 6. Part 1.

by EmmaJane


6. A Renewed Promise

My eyes flew open as I gasped. I jerked up into a sitting position so fast the room begun to spin around me.

“Oh!” I put a hand to my forehead, trying to relieve the sudden pounding there.

What the hell had happened? What was that? The little girl running up her staircase chased by her overweight maid; followed by the horror of her nearly falling to her death. My heart had almost stopped when she lurched forwards, threatening to become nothing more than a messy smear on the floor. My pulse began to quicken just at the thought of it. Had the girl been Alonsa when she was younger? The maid had called her that. If it had been her, why had she shown it to me? What was the significance of her nearly falling over the banister? Had she been telling me how accident-prone she was? Had she died in a similar way? Or maybe she’d died by falling over it again, but that time hadn’t been saved by one of the servants.

Ouch.

As ways to go went, that was pretty painful. I found myself desperately hoping she hadn’t died like that. It was a terrifying, prolonged death. I’d rather die in my sleep or something; then I wouldn’t know death was spiralling towards me.

I winced, and then found myself wondering why I was so morbidly thinking of my death. Well, I guess that’s what talking to long-dead spirits did to you.

Perhaps it would have been better if I’d actually been going mad.

Why had Alonsa been so angry when she’d come to me? It had hurt when she had dug her nails into my flesh, but when I looked I saw no marks or anything. No little half-moon indents, not even any red marks. As if it had all been a dream.

A bad dream.

That was when I realised it’d gone silent. I looked quickly at my iPod and saw I’d reached the end of the album I’d been listening to. I pulled out my earphones as there was no point in leaving them in when I wasn’t listening to anything. Besides, after that dream I was no longer in the mood for any of my songs.

I needed to speak with her. I had questions. Millions of questions. She’d said something about appearing in reflective surfaces, hadn’t she? And she’d suddenly been in the bathroom mirror yesterday – when I’d been awake.

Would she appear to me again – if I called her?

How unimpressive my full-length mirror seemed. A sheet of clear glass, framed by a simple wooden frame. I remembered that hot summer’s day in the garden when Dad helped me paint it white. I remembered slapping on loads of paint, accidentally painting the glass more than the frame. Dad said something to me and I looked up at him, smiling; white paint on my nose.

Amazing that a simple object could stir so many emotions, that it could resemble so much. And I didn’t mean a window into a spiritual world; I meant those happy days Dad and I had spent together. Days where I hadn’t been Amelia the average student, Amelia the annoying younger sister, Amelia the last hope. To Dad I’d been Amelia the princess. His treasured little girl.

I would never have those days again.

I slipped off my bed and slowly made my way to the mirror. The top end of my bed was pushed up against the wall, so the bottom faced my slightly ajar door. On either side of my door was my looming wardrobe and my slightly hidden mirror. My reflection stared back at me. My face was like stone; mouth closed, eyes steely. Ready for battle. Ready to know more.

I stared a challenge into that smooth, unflawed surface. Equally, my mirror taunted me with the image of my pale face, a slight dusting of light brown freckles scattered across it like the fragments of my family. My grey eyes seemed huge in this face, framed by lashes which huddled together like grief-stricken relatives. My limp hair was as brown as the bark of an oak tree. An oak tree.

My hand flew to my mouth to stifle the sob which nearly escaped. Tears pooled in my eyes like puddles of rainwater. I forced myself to keep staring. To notice the clumps of my fringe dangling in my eyes. I needed to get my fringe cut again; it was growing too long. It needed to be orderly and contained; it cannot be anything else because it would upset those around it. Those who were already so fragile…

I watched my mouth as I spoke. Saw my lips part and twist, forming words. Those two strands of pale pink. They could press against each other as hard as they could, yet they could never become one. They could never be whole. It was impossible; they were separated by a cavernous hole of black. That gaping crack could never be defeated, hidden. It was always there.

“Alonsa?”

My voice, no more than a painful croak, shattered the silence in the room like the glass in a windscreen.

“Alonsa?”

I didn’t try again; I was concentrating too hard on keeping my breathing normal, my chest from rising and falling so quickly. The tears from leaking.

Please, be there…

It was not Alonsa’s face I was hoping to see in my mirror. Not Alonsa I longed to speak with.

I sunk down to the floor, my legs suddenly too tired to hold me up anymore. Why do the things you always count on let you down? Abandon you? Another cruel joke of Fate, perhaps? Or is that just how things will always be? Why ever bother getting close to people, become attached to them, when you know at some point they’ll have to leave you?

A tear broke free and stroked my cheek like a cool, wet finger. There, there, don’t worry. We’re here. We’re always here.

Why get close to these strangers when you know they will leave? When you know the only thing you will have left are your tears.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 1880
Reviews: 73

Donate
Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 pm
MiriamHannah wrote a review...



The maid had called her that as she charged up the stairs.

This doesn't make sense

Wow, I really love it. Yes that chapter could not have been more of an emotional mirror, I feel really depressed. It's so good. It has a very defined story line, I'm not sure if by now I already know what's going to happen. You might need a nice twist. Other than that, just wow. Will read te 2nd part now, see how quickly I can get onto 7 ;)




User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 14

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:35 pm
ANate145 says...



I looked quickly at my iPod and saw I’d reached the end of the album I’d been listening to.

I think this sentence is a bit to long, although I might just be grasping at straws.

But i think this was great!




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 1201
Reviews: 23

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:41 pm
afeefah wrote a review...



Hi. As before I can't see any mistakes that haven't already been pointed out. I hope you finish this and when you do please consider trying to get it published.

Afeefah :D




User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 2878
Reviews: 100

Donate
Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:35 am
gsppcrocks10 wrote a review...



Hey! I figured that I'd review you because I feel like it. ;)

Why had Alonsa been so angry when she’d come to me? It’d hurt when she’d dug her nails into my flesh, but when I looked I saw no indication anything had ever happened. No little half-moon indents, not even any red marks. As if it’d all been a dream.

I like this, except one thing. It'd should be it had. I don't know why, but I really think that it doesn't fit with your writing style. (Which I love by the way).




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 13247
Reviews: 188

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:03 pm
EmmaJane says...



Don't say that you'll make me cry!
And i have had tears in my eyes more than twice when thinking of the sad moments that are gonna happen. *getting too emotional* Just thinking about how I'm gonna describe it is enough to get me going.
*sniffs* Right. Okay. Phew. It picks up after this, although chapter 8 might be a bit of a drag. Am on it at the moment. The last boring chapter! I hope. :S
Oh it's so sad! I'm sorry. Too ... urgh at the moment. Gimme a sec.
:D
My love,
Emma




User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 2401
Reviews: 95

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:55 pm
ZaddieCaso wrote a review...



Unlike the last chapter I can't find anything other than the above that I would change. I am getting a little worried though. As I put on your last chapter, this story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Please pick up some sense of plot because as amazingly fantastic it is to read, I'm getting a little impatient for a climax. I did love the bit with her father though at the end, I nearly cried as well!
If you don't have a plot it would be great if she could eventually see her father, that would be interesting.

Off to read the next part now!




Random avatar

Points: 1130
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:00 pm
brii_108 wrote a review...



wow, looks like i'm the first to review :) how awesome

i liked the ending, that was very good. i liked it all actually, but the last line especially :) nice simile, too, with the grief-stricken relatives. haha, i was looking out for that one.

okay, so just one thing. it doesn't matter too much really, but you told me to nit-pick so i shall ;)

As if it’d all been a bad dream.
A bad dream.

i think it would sound better if it was just "a dream" on the first bit, then "a bad dream" on the second bit. you don't have to change it or anything though, just what i thought. otherwise, it was really great, well done. keep it up for the next chapter!

xxxx




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 13247
Reviews: 188

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 am
EmmaJane says...



Split it into two again because it was so long!
Sorry it's so depressing ^^ um, just trying to portray how the loss of her father has affected her; how much she misses him; how much she loves him. All that.
Next part will be up soon.
Thank you all so much for reading this! Will get more interesting soon. (I hope) :S
My love,
Emma





A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.
— Mark Twain