z

Young Writers Society



I Need You To Write. - 10.

by EmmaJane


10. Mr. Davis

“I didn’t think his scars were that bad,” came the sound of Maya’s voice. “Personally, I thought they made him look yummier.”

Just shut up, I thought, squeezing my eyes shut, fighting against the waves of nausea as I leaned over the toilet. Maya was pacing outside of my cubical, annoying me with her persistent chatter about him. She had only been too glad to get out of English, happy with the excuse of comforting a friend who suddenly felt ill. Comforting! Ha! She was doing the exact opposite by talking non-stop about that man. I didn’t want to hear about him anymore. I wanted to be lying in bed, a safe distance from that evil man.

“I mean, they make him look so cute. They’re like cat whiskers, don’t you think?”

Please, just shut up.

What was he doing here? In this town? In this class? I suppose they let all sorts of people teach these days.

Even murderers.

“Oh, my God. Did you see his eyes? Ames. Ames? They were the loveliest shade of green that I’ve ever seen.”

Her voice grated on the last of my nerves.

“Maya! Shut up about him! I don’t want to hear about him any more! Just – please!”

There was silence for a few moments. She had paused, thinking about my angry outburst, unsure of what to say next. Amazingly, she hit right on the nail.

“Do you know him?”

Yes, you often do get to know a thing or two about the people who shred your family into pieces.

“Ames?”

I sat back and flushed the loo, my nausea now having passed. My body felt so heavy suddenly; so drained. I didn’t like sitting on the dirty floor, but I had no energy to move. So I sat for quite a while, gradually building up the strength that I would need so badly from now on.

When I emerged from the cubical, I saw Maya leaning against the sinks, waiting for me. She didn’t start to question me right away, just handed me her water bottle. I took a grateful mouthful, happy to wash out the horrible taste in my mouth, and handed it back to her.

She eyed it for a second and said diplomatically, “You hang on to it.”

So I did, taking another mouthful. Then I became aware of her watching me.

“Ames, who is Mr. Davis to you?”

“An awful man. I don’t know what he’s doing here teaching.”

“What did he do?”

I paused, the breath stolen from me. What did he do? Jesus, like I didn’t know. Like I didn’t have to watch my family slowly break apart. Like I didn’t have to watch my mum get thinner and thinner, whittled down by her grief. Like I didn’t have to visit Dad’s grave because of that man.

“Maya,” I started, taking a deep breath, “Remember that accident I was in when I was nine?”

She nodded. Of course she remembered; it was in the local news and newspapers for ages. It had been an event which had shaken the town. My father had been a well-known and well-liked man. To have him die so suddenly… Well, it was a wake-up call. Time for everyone to appreciate what and who they had while they still had them. But this feeling, like the news on the accident, had soon faded, and everything was back to normal again.

It was never normal again for my family.

“Well, there was a driver and a passenger. He was the passenger. The idiot driver died, but Bryce Davis walked away. Don’t you remember him? They were in the news.”

She shook her head.

Pushing out a long sigh, I glanced away, to my left, the opposite direction of Maya.

There was silence for a long moment. Then, “Gosh, Ames. What are you going to do?”

Well, wasn’t that the million-dollar question. What the hell was I going to do? Why did he have to take over my English lesson? Any other I would probably skip until the real teacher came back, but English was my favourite lesson. I couldn’t miss it.

“I suppose…” I ran a hand through my hair and sighed again. “I suppose I’m just gonna have to … deal with it.”

Maya’s eyes sparkled as she looked at me, and a wicked grin began to spread across her face. “Bet none of the other teachers know about him. Ames – we could reveal the truth! We could so totally humiliate him!”

So much for him being lush. It seemed like Maya was on my side, which I was grateful for. I wouldn’t know what I’d do if she chose him over me. I couldn’t imagine it.

“He’s probably hidden his past from the school, that’s why he’s able to teach here. So if the other teachers just happened to find out, like, say from a newspaper clipping on their desks, what would happen next would be really interesting.”

I thought about what she said, seriously considering it. He certainly deserved it. Hell, he deserved so much more. He really shouldn’t be teaching. Parents wouldn’t approve of a murderer teaching their children. So why had the school let him teach? Didn’t they know about his history? Had he hidden it from them, like Maya said? I didn’t see how he could. It wasn’t something you could easily hide. But what was he doing teaching here? Here, of all places!

“Ames?” Maya prompted, a gleam of anticipation in her eyes.

It would be great that the whole school would find out about him. It would be great if he could walk down the corridor and see the students staring at him, the same thought whispering in their minds.

Murderer.

It would be fantastic. He and his speeding buddy took my father from me. Nothing could ever be enough. Everyone would hate him, because everyone loved my father. As I said, he was a well-known and well-liked man. Those gossiping grannies had whispered well-deserved, horrible remarks and assumptions about Bryce Davis and his evil friend.

Those same grannies had also whispered about me as I walked past them.

Look. There she goes. That poor, little girl, Amelia. John died to save her, you know. He gave his life for hers. Let’s hope she does something with it.

“No!” I said to Maya, a little panicked. “I don’t want people to know; I don’t want them to stare.” My actions became jerky, desperate. “Maya – no one can know. I – I can deal with him. I…”

“Ames! What’s wrong?”

It was my fault. If I hadn’t of been in the car in the first place then the tree branch wouldn’t have got him. It would have just sunk harmlessly into the empty passenger seat. Dad would have been a little winded, a little bruised, but fine. Most likely. Maybe he’d have a broken bone or two, but he’d be alive. That was the main thing. If I hadn’t had been there…

“Maya, don’t tell anyone – please.” Asking Maya not to spread something as juicy as this was like asking her not to breathe. She couldn’t – she would die.

She looked startled. “Why not, Ames? He deserves it.”

I reached out and grabbed her arm. She squealed in surprise, flinching from me a little. “Please, Maya,” I begged. If you told them about him they would also know about me.

“Okay, okay. I won’t tell anyone. I promise.” She eyed me curiously. “But what are you going to do?”

Like the answer wasn’t obvious.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
73 Reviews


Points: 1880
Reviews: 73

Donate
Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 pm
MiriamHannah wrote a review...



10. Mr. Davis

annoying me with her persistent chatter about him.
I think this sentence could be better, the word annoying seems to obvious, everyone already knows she's being annoyed by it, but I'd say she's be more angry rather than annoyed.


She had only been too glad to get out of English, happy with the excuse of comforting a friend who suddenly felt ill.
Why? I thought she was talking about a teacher, so whys Maya now ditching his lessons? Doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, you often do get to know a thing or two about the people who shred your family into pieces.
Get to know a thing or two about, maybe it would be better to mention his appearance instead of information about him. 'Yes, you often remember the face that shred your family into peices' ???

I sat back and flushed the loo, my nausea now having passed. My body felt so heavy suddenly; so drained.
This doesn't fit right in my opinion. 'I sat back down on and flushed the loo (fullstop) My nausea now having passed (comma) my body felt so heavy suddenly; so drained.

I didn’t like sitting on the dirty floor, but I had no energy to move. So I sat for quite a while, gradually building up the strength that I would need so badly from now on.
Sat and sitting in the same sentence, just change one to slumped or crouched. Plus your doing the very English thing of understating 'quite a while' just remove the 'quite'.

I took a grateful mouthful, happy to wash out the horrible taste in my mouth,
Moutful and mouth, would there possibly be a way to change one of those for another word?

So I did, taking another mouthful. Then I became aware of her watching me.
Turn this into a whole sentence instead of two and I don't think the word then works there, maybe before instead?

I paused, the breath stolen from me. What did he do? Jesus, like I didn’t know. Like I didn’t have to watch my family slowly break apart. Like I didn’t have to watch my mum get thinner and thinner, whittled down by her grief. Like I didn’t have to visit Dad’s grave because of that man.
LOVE IT!!!!

“Well, there was a driver and a passenger. He was the passenger. The idiot driver died, but Bryce Davis walked away. Don’t you remember him? They were in the news.”
I agree with Lauren, if he was just the passenger why is she referring to him as a murderer, his face could haunt her dreams, but he was not at fault. I get she must be upset and illogical about this, but still if I were you I'd change it to the driver, say the passenger died and the driver survived, it makes him seem like more of a monster.

“He’s probably hidden his past from the school, that’s why he’s able to teach here.
Going to my last point, not his fault, why wouldn't he be allowed to teach?


the same thought whispering in their minds.
Whispering? This is one of the few occasions where I'll tell you to keep it simple, flashed, or just going through.
Murderer.
The issue it the more you over emphasise this the more other people will think its not fair that your putting so much blame on him and the more theyll actually feel sorry for him, unless you're going for that (which would be quite clever) but if not you need to tone it down or come up with a better excuse.

Look. There she goes.
One sentence, put a comma after look.

Great chapter! Love it. I don't think I have anything to add, for once I'm stumped! That's a first. So yeh, small changes, most of them you may look over and decide aren't big enough to bother with but it's always helpful for someone to point them out.
Looking forward to the next one,

Miriam.




User avatar
23 Reviews


Points: 1201
Reviews: 23

Donate
Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:56 am
afeefah wrote a review...



Good as usual Emma! Just like the Lauren mentioned though, it is a bit unrealistic, her blaming the passenger. Wouldn't she blame the driver instead???

*re-reads cliffhanger and sends evils at Emma* Be sure to send me a PM when the next part is up!

Afeefah




User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:07 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Great chapter Emma!

The only thing I was going to mention was Mr. Davis. If he was the passenger in the car, I don't understand why Amelia is referring to him as a murderer. Wouldn't he have not a lot of control over what happened to the car, as he wasn't the driver? Maybe there is something I don't know yet. But Amelia would likely overreact if he had in some way caused the accident and called him a murderer, even if he technically wasn't. But as it is, it doesn't seem logical for her to call him a murderer.

That's all I have to say. Keep writing!

-Lauren




User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 1473
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:13 pm
Apollo says...



Yay! First review! Or, to be more accurate first compliments. I could not find anything wrong with it. Post more of it! I will be eagerly awaiting your next story.




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 13247
Reviews: 188

Donate
Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:56 pm
EmmaJane says...



Okay, so the first idea was that Mr. Davis was the driver of the car. Then realised how stupidly unrealistic this was. Although, him being the passenger is also unrealistic, it is less so than my original idea. So...

Hope you all enjoyed it!

~Emma

:D





What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor