Angel's Mask (P. 1)

by EmmaJane

For Amon360's Vampire competition. This is only the first two scenes, so more to come! If you review you would be the most amazing person on Earth! Thank you! This is only about a quarter of it (roughly) so this isn't all of it. I just didn't want it to be too long. Thanks again! ^^

There was a time when I thought he was beautiful. His fine, blonde hair had been fluffed up like a fledgling’s down. His smiling, blue eyes were the exact shade of a summer’s day. His laughter poured from him like the sunlight from the merry sun. He was so … alive. So carefree, so happy. That was what made him beautiful to me. How he seemed to be only goodness.

It frightens me now how someone can be mistaken about another person. No one can truly know another. We can never see the secret thoughts that run through concealed minds. Hidden feelings, hidden hopes, hidden fears. Hidden hate. These secrets which can only be accessed by the harbourer. The pleasant mask of normality remains fixed in place until the bearer decides to cast it aside. Or it stays until pried away from them. Then the monster beneath is revealed and, happily, it leaves the mask behind.

I used to think he was beautiful.

These that walk among us, their masks the only thing they allow us to see. Yet they forget about the cracks. Through those we glimpse what lies behind. Through those tiny slivers of insight we know that what chats with us so nicely is not normal. We know they have different rules; different morals.

I was not the only one who thought he was attractive. There would always be a gaggle of girls following him like ducklings trailing after their mother. He didn’t seem to mind; he found their devoted attention amusing. I should like to say I was not like those brainless, preppy girls, but I cannot. Like them, I did not see what lurked behind that inviting smile, those gorgeous eyes. I did not see through his disguise.

I used to think he was beautiful.

* * *

“So, Sandrine, are you free this Saturday? Or is it vital that your hair gets washed that day?”

Startled, I looked up from my locker. The owner of that voice couldn’t have been mistaken. It was a voice that would make you do anything. Sell your soul to the devil.

Sell your soul to him.

He leant casually against Hattie’s locker, his attention fixed only on me. His blue eyes were crinkled at the edges from his wide, teasing smile and he looked unbelievably gorgeous in his black jacket. Behind him, outraged girls whispered to one another, astounded that he had asked out me and not them. After all, what was so special about Sandrine Bennet?

That was exactly what I was wondering.

“Oh – I – er-”

“Is ‘yes’ such a hard word to say?” he teased again, blue eyes crinkling even more.

It came out on a whispered rush of breath. “Yes.”

“I assume you’re answering my first question, Sandrine,” he smiled.

“Oh – I – of course. Um, yes.” It was impossible for me to make myself look even more of a fool at that moment. Tongue-tied and shell-shocked, full sentences would have been a miracle.

“Good.” He sounded satisfied as he stretched out the word. “That’s great. Wear a dress. Be ready by half-eight. I’ll pick you up.”

“W-wait!” I cried out as he turned to leave. He looked back at me, his eyes questioning. “Pick me up where?”

“Why, at your house.” He sounded surprised, as though the answer had been obvious. His tone made me flush, and I became aware of the titters of the other girls as they followed him. They glanced over their shoulders to glare at me and make sure my place beneath them was well-known.

“How do you…” I trailed off as he and the girls who followed disappeared around a corner. Their giggles and sarcastic comments faded within moments.

How do you know where I live?

“Wow, Sandy,” said Hattie. I became aware of her standing behind me and, like me, staring at the place where they had vanished. “Morgan James? Girl, you have got to be kidding me. That’s a date I’d die for.”

tigerwolf4 wrote a review...

I really liked what you wrote. Your title was very eye catching. The repetition in the begining, "I used to think he was beautiful," really got me curious and wanting to read more. The only thing I thought you should change is the whole line about the "merry sun." Is the sun merry? I liked the analogy but think you shouldn't use merry to describe the sun. I can't wait for the next part, awesome job!

KJ wrote a review...

I like your title. It's the reason I opened this.

As to the writing, I enjoyed that, too. As plots go, so far it's not really original. The popular-boy-finally-noticing-the-shy-girl-who's-secretly-in-love-with-him has been done before, but who knows? Maybe you have a surprise up your sleeve. This is posted in Fantasy Fiction, after all.

Oh, and I like the repetition in the beginning. You've made me curious to see what he did to make her despise him so much.

So keep writing, and be sure to keep it fresh and unique.

KJ

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hey Emma, Stella here!

I. NITPICKS

the sunlight from the merry sun.

Yes, sunlight does come from the sun. I'd just change this to merry sunlight, or turn sunlight to light or rays or... I don't know. Just fix it, somehow?

It frightens me now how someone can be mistaken about another person.

Perhaps this should be "so mistaken?" At the moment it sounds a bit weird.

Okay...

II. CHARACTER

Don't get me wrong, mostly, I loved this. But right now, your heroine is about as interesting as a sack of wood. And let me tell you something, I don't like reading about sacks of wood.

Show me more of who she is, even in just this little part. You clearly have talent as a writer, so just develop her more. Who is she? Does she have many friends? Have they spoken before? Is she generally one to get tongue-tied? And since you're at her locker, don't you have time to give her some personal quirks: what's inside? Things like this, so that I don't yawn.

III. OVERALL

Overall, I actually enjoyed this a lot. The whole "I used to think he was beautiful" thing was very well done. Nicely done :)

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:44 pm
Lilicia wrote a review...

This is really good! I was captivated by the first few paragraphs. I love your descriptions of his mask, and especially the repetition of 'I used to think he was beautiful'.

I had a few problems with the fragments, such as:

How he seemed to be only goodness.

and
Or it stays until pried away from them.

They seem slightly unstable on their own, maybe a little unconnected. I think if you could link them with previous sentences, it would be better. :)

Sell your soul to him.

In this scene, the boy is portrayed as good. From what I see, Sandrine very much fancies him. Thoughts should be positive, and I don't think that 'selling your soul' is the best thing to say in this context.
That's what I think, anyway. It's up to you :D

That's all I can find!

Overall, this is great, and I can't wait to read more! :mrgreen:

:elephant:

Reida wrote a review...

I think it's really a great beginning. You've got a girl mesmerized by a handsome, seductive guy, she's seems to want to struggle against him, but can't. She is helpless to his advances, and that's fascinating because, after all, he is a vampire. The writing seems smooth, the earlier reviews give you enough criticism to work on a few problems with the story. But all in all, it kept my interest and made me want to read more. That in itself is a fine accomplishment.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:37 am
TaylaChase wrote a review...

Hi
This was really good! I like the way you wrote it.

He leant casually against Hattie’s locker, his attention fixed only on me.

I think you meant 'he leaned casually...'

I became aware of her standing behind me and, like me, staring at the place where they had vanished.

This sentence is confusing and doesn't run smoothly. I suggest changing it around a little.

Overall, I enjoyed it. The way you wrote it was very descriptive.
Keep writing and working on it!

~Tayla

Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 pm
tiffanyann wrote a review...

Overall this is an average piece, some components are really great like the phrasing. I like the phrasing. There's only very few alterations that I have to suggest.

original: How he seemed to be only goodness.
can be changed to: How he seemed to be pure, unmarred goodness.
or: How he seemed only to be pure, unmarred goodness.
because: The original is not grammatically incorrect, just a bit awkward.

original: happily (.....revealed and, happily, it......)
can be changed to: exultingly, joyously, rejoicingly, etc.
because:I would advice anybody to refrain from using what I call "first-grader" words like happy, sad, good, bad, etc. as much as possible because it can pertain to a variety of ideas and concepts and does not paint a vivid picture.

original: chats (.....what chats with us....)
can be changed to: interacts (or something like that)
because: The rest of the piece is formal and traditional and then "chats" is sort of informal and modern so it's kinda like a bump in the road.

original: someone (...how someone can be mistaken...)
can be changed to: one
because: When I first read that sentence, it was a little confusing for I thought that "someone" is also referring to "another person" or something like that. It's just better when it's "one". You can also drop out "person" if you decide to make the change.

original: ask out me
should be changed to: ask me out
because: you "ask people out" and you don't "ask out people"

Aside from the above revisions, this is not very bad. It's very good actually.

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides