z

Young Writers Society



Rachel: Dreaming

by Emma


Something inside me is telling me to watch those clouds, I don’t know why but I do it. I walk over to the dusty window and peer out into the sky. Rain is hammering down like nails, hitting hard onto the ground, making small dents onto the gray pavement. I want it to stop, but it wont. My fists hit hard onto the dusty window.

“Stop!” I argue,

A nurse comes up to me, she’s got the friendly smile on her face again, I don’t like it. It scares me just looking at her so-called innocent face. She taps my shoulder, her hands soft as tissue, her voice as smooth as an angel singing. Though I don’t care about her. I hate her guts, it’s the nurse’s fault I had to share the ward with other people who are crazy. Though I’m not, I’m just fine. I know nothing is wrong with me. She takes me over to my bed. Its light blue sheets crunched up together. She tidies it up and helps me lie on it.

“Its time for you to go to sleep Rachel,” she says,

I nod, too tired to argue, the wall that my body is turned away from shadows me. Pictures of my mum and dad hang up there like hooks, old and battered. My dad’s face reminds me of a dog. Pug ugly. Sometimes I act like I don’t know them; I think that famous Hollywood stars are. Like Madonna, yer, she’s my mum. I smile as my eyes flutter, my smile is like a miracle has been made. I start to dream about the things around me. I first dream about Arnold who was next to my bed. He is only 15 but had mega coughing fits and likes banging his head against the wall. His name appears, smooth and strong, then all of a sudden his name stresses me out. His name is no longer smooth or is no longer straight. His name reminds me of wood, and how rigid it is. I turn over and dream about the girl in front of me. Her long black hair reminds me of my bedroom rug, and her red skin reminds me of a lobster. She wanted to be brown, she didn’t like her pale appearance. So she painted it brown, a strong muddy brown. It took two days of agonizing screaming and kicking to get it off. Her name also appears just like Arnold, her name, Lanah is straight and soothing, then it suddenly went rigid. I suddenly wake up, my lungs sore from my screaming. It won’t go away, more names are appearing and is going crazy. Arnold has woken me up, my body’s sweat is making my body sticking together. I start to scream again. I want it to go away! Lanah from across from me pulls away her and mine curtains and points a finger to me. I can see that she has done self-harm to her wrists.

“Shut up Rachel before I beat you one!” She spat,

The nurse at the end of the ward wakes up, her once neat bun on the top of her head is now like a big knot. I can tell she was sleeping. I carry on screaming as more names pop up, Nurse, doctor, mum. The nurse presses the red button by my bed. It’s like a horn, I lay there, scared and sore. Other nurses and a doctor comes over to me. Two of them then go to the people I woken up. The doctor stays with me.

“Its okay Rachel, don’t worry.” He whispers,

Once again his voice soothes me, I become relaxed. He rubs my back and repeats what he just said, and then he gets up and whispers to the closest nurse.

I start to get jealous, he’s my friend not yours! My head shouts,

I rub it, hoping it will get better. The nurse walks quickly to the newly made desk and picks up some pills.

No, no! No more pills! It shouts,

I back away, my hands in front of my mouth. They can’t make me take those pills, they’re killers. They make you go crazy!

“Come on! They won’t kill you, honey!” Smiles the doctor,

I look into his dreamy eyes, I nod, thinking he’s right. I know he won’t try to kill me. He’s nice, I know that for a fact. He opens the pill case and puts one in my mouth.

“Now suck on it, what does it taste like Rachel?” He says,

I look at him with a great big smile, it was my favorite flavor. Chocolate!

I suck on the heavenly pill and within minutes I fall asleep, this time the crazy words have vanished. All I dream is chocolate.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:02 pm
View Likes
Emma says...



Thanks, I hope you liked it!

I wow, this is like my best work! And if it is then I must be bad!




Random avatar

Points: 1212
Reviews: 241

Donate
Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:16 pm
Harley says...



The way you say words became rigid made my mind go funny... sort of like rachels. the only thing is you say "No more pills! It says." and this doesn't make sense. This is really good work, and i am looking forward to reading burning.




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:44 am
Emma says...



Hey thanks alot, then this must be my best piece yet! There is another one which I did first. Its called 'Rachel: Shaking' Though this one is better because I used the constructive critz to make this one better, sorry if this bugs you. But I like the word: I.

Also if you want Im making another (There is like 5/6 altogether if I carry on getting okay stuff and you want me to send it) its called 'Rachel: Burning' And no its not what you think, remember she thinks and acts differently to other people....




User avatar
1258 Reviews


Points: 6090
Reviews: 1258

Donate
Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:31 am
Sam wrote a review...



I know...i really like this piece because you can really get into the character's mind. i've never beeen in a situation like the one Rachel's in, but yet you have this sense of forboding, like you have and you want to go back...that is sooo freaky! Well done!




User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 54

Donate
Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:50 pm
Green Monkey wrote a review...



Hmmm... Though I do find the writing on here good and ummm... Well done. Somehow this is not the kind of story that appeals to me. But other then not fitting my taste buds, it truly shows skill. There was too much 'shouting' and stuff in it for me.... :)




User avatar
683 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 683

Donate
Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 pm
Emma says...



Hey thanx.




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...



Something inside me is telling me to watch those clouds, I don’t know why but I do it. I walk over to the dusty window and peer out into the sky. Rain is hammering down like nails, hitting hard onto the ground, making small dents onto the gray pavement. I want it to stop, but it wont. I hit hard onto the dusty window.


Lots of "I" here. Try to cut down and change your structure a lot more, for example, you could change the last sentence in this passage to - "Hitting hard onto the dusty window, I shouted "Stop!". " Of course, this is jsut an example, I'm not trying to write your on work for you. I think in this way your paragraphy could improve.

She tap my shoulder


typo - She taps my shoulder

A nurse comes up to me, she’s got the friendly smile on her face again, I don’t like it. It scares me just looking at her so-called innocent face. She tap my shoulder, her hands soft as tissue, her voice as smooth as an angel singing. Though I don’t care about her. I hate her guts, it’s the nurse’s fault I had to share the ward with other people who are crazy.


A much better paragraph. Really quite great.

In the following paragraph however you seem to fall back on bad habits and use "I" too much again, it gets irritating. Try to use something different. Just look at your sentences and you will see plenty of time where it is not neccesarily needed.

Overall, though, this is a really good story and I enjoyed it a lot. The way you expressed the character's feeling were graphic and illustrated very well, and you could feel exactly what Rachel was feeling, and this is the talent of a good writer. Only improvements include checking for typos and minimising the use of personal pronouns. Thanks for sharing.





One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah