Rachel: Burning

by Emma

This is my 3rd peace of the Rachel, I hope you like it. The first one is called 'Rachel: Shaking' and the 2nd one is 'Rachel: Dreaming'. Please comment on my work, if you don't then I won't send in my next work, which is like the following up but with more things coming up.

I'm in the hospital's garden, the sky is colorless. The gray sky looks like the dust on my window seal, thick and itchy with the nose. I only have my nightie on, its plain colors match beautifully with the empty sky. Its cold, my nose is running, but as usual I don't care. The water fountain near by makes me calm, as the water trickles down into the ground, the birds around it sing cheerful songs as they fly around it. Trees near by rustle with pleasure as the birds stop flying around the tear falling fountain and land on their branches. A sick thought came into my mind. How come birds don't go crazy? I start muttering to my self. If only I became one of those birds. No if only I didn't have my mother. She made me go to the mental hospital, she stressed me out. I am never as good as she is. I got crazy, no.. She got crazy! She wanted to use me as a cover up! I hear a weightless twig snap. My body shivers, no-one should be coming. I like being on my own, no more do I feel so, crazy. I start to hear the whispers of nurses speaking, a sudden chill goes up my spine when I hear the words Rachel. I get up and walk straight over to the nurses. They look at me as I march towards them. They're looking at me with a shocked expression. I don't like it, my face goes red.

What are they talking about?! My thoughts snap,

The oldest nurse kindly smiles at me, I frown. I know she is only faking that smile, just like my mum faking I am crazy. Her coal, black eyes show no kindness in them, I don't like her eyes. They remind me of death.

"Honey, it's cold, come indoors and take a nap" She says,

I ignore her and stare at the younger nurse. I can tell that’s she's new, she's not looking at me. Maybe it's because I'd give her the crazy germs. Maybe because she's trying to hide her laughing. Yes thats it, and I know why. It's the older nurse, I've always hated her. She doesn't know when to shut her mouth about me. I feel my body shaking, my eyes are throbbing, my muscles in my body tightens. My whole body is shaking, though its not what I normally have. Its different, I feel like the world is shaking beneath me, instead of me, though it is me. I start to feel dizzy, the world is going to fast. I get even more scared, what if the world has come to a end? Im not able to think about anything more. It's like the sun has disappeared.

I suddenly wake up, Im in the ward. The young nurse is looking over me, writing comments in my file. She smiles when I open my eyes. I look around, it's dark. I hear a fan by my bed, it's echoing breeze hits my warm body. I feel hot and tired, but I would be more hot if I didn't have it near me. It soothed me like the doctor I liked.

"I'm glad you are awake Rachel" She whispers,

It's dark, the windows are closed. I hate the dark, it freaks me out. Shadows glide across the walls like there is a ghost. No there is ghosts, I saw one. She made me cold, though for once I liked that feeling. It was different. Everyone is asleep, I can hear Arnold snoring loudly. I want to strangle him, it gives me headaches. The nurse looks at me again, this time she's staring. She takes hold of my sweaty hands,

"Darling, you don't know me but I do" She carries on whispering, "I know why you..."

She suddenly stops talking, a outline of a body by the ward's door appears. I think it's a ghost, I scream, I don't know if its bad or not. Last time she was good but there is a chance, she could change. Just like humans, just like my crazy mother. The young nurse lets go of me. I try and grab her, but my arm is too weak. It's like the ghost has sucked out all my energy. She leaves me, I'm the only one awake. The fan is still on, I get this sudden feeling, like if it stays on it will blow up, it will start a fire. I try and get up, my body is too weak. The ghost is holding me down, I know it. They don't like me, no one does. My heart beats more faster and heavier. I need to turn the fan off, I don't care if I become a puddle of sweat. A lump of shoes becomes stuck in my throat. I'm panicing again, just like I did before. What if the fan kills me with its flames? I get the horrible feeling again. Just like what I got in the garden, I hate this new feeling. It's like my body can't handle these attacks anymore. Maybe my body will blow up.

my thoughts go wild, I hate you mum, I'll die because of you! It screams,

I feel the world shake again, my muscles become stressed out, the world goes black. The fan is left on....

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:35 pm
Emma says...

Sorry, I think my story is going no where. It ends here, and for those people who wanted to find out what the nurse's secret was and what happens (because she left the fan on) Then ha! Im not getting enough comments on what should be done and how nice it was and that.. Actullay Im not getting any!

If you want to my other work check out this site:

http://www.freewebs.com/bottomless/index.htm

Its cool.

Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:34 pm
Emma says...

You'll find out soon why she says it so many times. Other nurses don't do it much? Do they? :?

Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:28 pm
Harley wrote a review...

I think that nurses in a mental hospital would use their patients' names a little more often, as they tend to use simpler language. Overall I think it is a very good piece of work, but I think that it could do with some developments if you are hoping to turn it into a story.

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:18 pm
Emma says...

Yer, at least the only first mistake. Before I used too many I's. I had to like cut down on them big time!!

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:43 pm
faith wrote a review...

The descriptions at the beginning were pretty and not overdone but the small ammount of dialogue there was sounded stiff.

"I'm glad you are awake Rachel"

people usually use contractions in dialogue and rarely use the name of the person they're talking to. so,

"I'm glad you're awake." would sound more natural. I should actually go read the others since this is the first one of the Rachel pieces I've read...i don't know if they're supposed to be read in order or not, but yeah.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson