Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

Darren Shan Saga

by Emma

I have always been a great fan of the Darren Shan books. So I will give you a little intro on what the book is about... And you might be inchanced by it...

What is it called?

Darren Shan

How many books were made?

Altogether there are twelve books on the Darren Shan saga.

What is it about?

It is about a boy called Darren who steals a vampires spider. His friend (Who has evil blood, said the vampire) got bitten by it. The only way Darren could save his friends life was to make a deal with the vampire. But he only deals in blood. Darren and the vampire go on many of adventures were their loved ones perish.

In your view, what is the best book?

I think the best book is the second last one (number 11)

Is it suitable for all ages?

No. I would say it would be in the young adults area. Its full of blood and killings.

If you have anymore questions then send them here. Or if you liked the book send me the comments telling me what you liked best!

*Please don't use full caps -Kitty15-*

Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 pm
roboninja says...

whe you read it, you are gripped by the story and always eager to read on, a second look at it proves it to be simplistic and childish - but in a cutesy way that is adorable! either way, it's fun to read and great for getting kids into reading.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 pm
TheWriters wrote a review...

I don't think the movie followed the book very well.

There is no monkey girl. Mr Crepsley is not dating Truska. Darren can't flit and he doesn't have vampire spit. There are several other things I didn't like, but I won't say.
In my opinion the movie was so bad that it didn't even ruin the book. As a movie not compared to the book I enjoyed it.
I love the series! I haven't read the 11th or 12th book yet.
I could see right through the tenth book's plot. I knew right away that Steve was the vampaneze lord.
I read books 4- 10 the week before the movie because I didn't want any chance of the movie revealing anything. In the movie I think that they were trying to make it so that they would only have to make two movies, if that is what they are planing.
Sorry, I've been going on and on about the movie. I recommend this book to anybody who likes spiders, vampires, and anything dark.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:31 am
Lifeblood says...

cool i like the ideas

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:48 am
Lil_Pau wrote a review...

I like the Demonata series. Most of Darren Shan's books are simple in writing, but they're entertaining. He's great at those descriptions of gore too xD.

Sureal wrote:- You said this should be mainly for the young adults. I personally disagree. The short chapters, largish font and clear (simplistic?) wording makes me think it's more for those of ages 10+.

Agreed. Anyway, I guess Darren Shan wanted to give children nightmares xD

Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 am
ButterFlyInk wrote a review...

I saw the movie yesterday and it followed the book really well. It was awesome to watch, as for the books I adore them even though it has been about 5 yrs since I read them. I loved the simplicity of Darren's writing. I also liked his take on vampires, its very different and a lot more entertaining than what is out there now-a-days *coughcoughTwilightcoughcough*. His creativity with the whole series was brilliant.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm
Miss_Mosh wrote a review...

I read those books a few years ago and loved them. I thought his take on vampires was interesting, and so were the characters. I still find Mr. Tiny amusing.

I'm a little worried about the film, though. I'm scared it'll butcher the series.

And as for Mr. Shan's new series...meh. It's really quite...awful, I think. Antoine Horwitzer? Jeez, that was weird.

I enjoyed the more mature book he did; Procession of the Dead, I think it was called.

Sureal says...

Darren becomes all evil and it contradicts everything we've learned about him and it happens to suddenly, its like hes the good guy, all of a sudden he gets mad and decides to be evil.

You should have read the last book then if you think that's how it ends. XD

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 am
Gabe_15 wrote a review...

Well, the writing was pretty simple.
I read up to the second last on (11) and stopped.
I hated where it was going. I don't want to put in any spoilers but the whole prophecy made me not care be cause (well u knoow what was destined to happen and I stopped caring about weather Darren lived or died. Darren becomes all evil and it contradicts everything we've learned about him and it happens to suddenly, its like hes the good guy, all of a sudden he gets mad and decides to be evil.
I think it was a fun series, but nothing great.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 am
Sureal wrote a review...

Jiggity, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the books in the Demonata series. It peaked with the first two books, and the rest range from 'okay-ish' to 'poor'. Well, so far anyways - maybe the last two will surprise me?

I'd recommend checking out his adult 'The City Trilogy', of which Book 1 'Procession of the Dead' has been released. It's flawed, but it has a very dark and disturbing tone that slowly builds up throughout it, and I'd definately say it's worth checking out for a bit of light reading.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:54 pm
Jiggity wrote a review...

I enjoyed this series heaps, but that was a good long time ago now. There's going to be a movie? That's awesome news. The Demonata was pretty damn good too, probably better in my estimation, just in terms of the writing in general.

Although I never did get round to completing the Demonata -- didn't get passed book 2

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:17 pm
WaterVyper wrote a review...

I love the Darren Shan Saga! I have all of the books and in my opinion, the sixth book was best. 'Vampire Prince' was that one. The trial, betrayal, beautiful. I have to admit, Darren was a bit whiny at first. Definitely a 10/10!

Also, the Demonata isn't that bad either. Still, I prefer the DSS. Anyway, I can't wait for the movie. It's definitely going to be awesome!

Lollipop says...

The Darren Shan Saga rocks!

I love the ons that take place at Vampire mountain and the tenth one. The Lake of souls!! Hee

Mon May 23, 2005 11:23 am
deleted6 says...

Brillant wat i like about it is he is basically a normal kid but then he makes a deal with a vampire.I read 3 i thought they were very good 8/10

Emma says...

Wow, well people have thier own styles of writing and reading. Anyway I didn't find it boring and got alot of people into it, maybe you weren't that kind of person who likes that sort of writing? Everyone is different and luckly I aint going to argue about it!

*does a dance*

Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:43 am
Willow says...

Sorry Emma, but I didn't like it that much.
Like Sureal said, he writes in simplistic tones. I don't really like his style of writing, although the gore descriptions are good. I only read up to the thrid book, and got bored with it.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:09 pm
Emma says...

I find the writing small.... I must be blind...

Oh yer, I forgot, I will change it! Mawahaha and make you forget!

Sureal wrote a review...

I've only ready the first three of them (got them together a single book). Thought it was okay, but never re-read it. I've toyed with the idea of getting my hands on the other ones, but reading this has reminded me of 'em. I may go out to get them some time :).

Two things though - you posted up what happens in the last (eleventh book). As soon as I realised you had done this (I got as far as 'and his sist-') I skipped the rest of the sentence. Maybe a spoiler warning should be in place there ;).

- You said this should be mainly for the young adults. I personally disagree. The short chapters, largish font and clear (simplistic?) wording makes me think it's more for those of ages 10+.
This probably is no more (perhaps less) violent than the Animorph series (excellent children books by K.A. Applegate).

I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying