z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I Wish I Was Him

by EmmVeePi


	I know that I'm the one for you,
	I know I love you through and through.
	Still I know your not the one for me,
	For your heart I endlessly plea.
	My dearest darling I wish I hadn’t missed you.
	I wish that I could love someone else if only I knew who.
	I see you now so happy with him,
	So happy with your little girl, I could never fit in.
	You were the one that got away,
	Still never from my thoughts you stray.
	I wish I was him, I wish she was mine.
	I could've told you this if given the time.
	I see you now and then as happy as you are,
	And I am happy but far from my heart you never are.
	I would've loved you and held you close,
	If only it had not been another that you chose.
	Your tender body close to mine,
	how I ever let it slip away it seems a crime.
	And now you look at him with so much love,
	And she looks like him who once was above.
	I wish the girl looked like me,
	but in fact she looks exactly like he.
	So here I sit with nothing to hold,
	And wish that once upon a time I had been so bold.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 93
Reviews: 216

Donate
Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:34 am
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...



Hey there! Fangirl here!
This was really awesome. (no offence made for your feelings...it's definitely sad. But your poem is awesome!)
The flow was just magical... And it's like the first time in a while I've seen a rhyming poem with such an awesome flow!
Dude seriously, I don't think I need to point things cause I believe people before me already did that for you!
But still I would like to point our all the things that I like....
Rhyming is perfect
Font is good
Line breaking is just appropriate
No grammatical error... which is good
And uh the list goes on...

But anyway... I loved ur work... And uh I'm sorry for you

FD46~




User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:16 am
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Emmveepi!

What I enjoyed about the poem was the progression from the narrator's place in the beginning: knowing that s/he loves him, wishing and longing for him; to the resolution in the end-- regretting what s/he has not done. I like how you ended with "wish that I had been so bold" as it really ties that together well.

One thing that I would like to see as far as improvement with this piece is to work out the pacing. While I did like the progression - I thought the journey itself felt a little drawn out and shallow. For example:

1st couplet: We have the affirmation of the narrator's love for the subject "you"

2nd couplet: We have further information of the narrator's unrequited love

3rd couplet: We have first introduction of looking back with regret

^ Here, I wonder if it's not possible that we can't just condense the idea of the narrator's regretful unrequited love into one line or couplet? The drawing out of these ideas into 3 couplets/6 lines makes it sort of slow and heavy at the top.

4th couplet: We have information of the subject's "real" love; their happiness elsewhere

Another improvement I would like to see possibly starting with this stanza is to have you show us these scenes, rather than tell us. Perhaps by incorporating images in your poem, so as to make the reader take the journey along with the narrator. Things like incorporating words to describe the 5 senses: sight, sound, smell, sound, feeling -- all of these things will help us fall into the poem, and connect just a bit more.

Other than those two things, which I admit, can be quite a long bit of revision within themselves - I'd say you did a great job with the flow and rhythm. Well done. Let me know if you wish to chat this one out a bit more, or if you need any other help or advice.

~ As always, Audy




User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:32 pm
lostthought wrote a review...



Hey there! Here to respond to your review request. Sorry it took so long. No internet can do a lot to a person.

Since this is a poem I review it differently.

Well the theme is nice but the rhyme, as mentioned below, is kinda forced. I like the first line

"I know that I'm the one for you"

The 7th stanza is not actually a rhyme. You just have 'are' twice.

Well this is a pretty good poem with a popular theme. The only thing you need to work on is the rhyme so it flows more smoothly. Good job!

~lost




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 10065
Reviews: 68

Donate
Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:06 am
Archer wrote a review...



Hi EmmVeePi!

There are a few lines in here that I really like. Two lines in particular that caught my eye were:

You were the one that got away,

Still never from my thoughts you stray.


I like this because the language is compact, and the rhyming works surprisingly well. I say surprising because an AABBCC... rhyme scheme rarely works.

However, there were also many instances where it seems pretty clear that you were trying to force the rhyming scheme:
I see you now and then as happy as you are,

And I am happy but far from my heart you never are.

Your tender body close to mine,

how I ever let it slip away it seems a crime.


In the latter quote, the rhyme scheme actually seems to inject a tone of humor into the piece.

There were also a couple grammar mistakes that I spotted. "Your" should be "you're" in the third line, and "site" should be "site" in the second to last line.

Overall, I like the direction you took with this poem. Instead of just being a piece about a lost love, it instead reads more like a poem about lost hope. That is, the narrator spends a lot more time thinking about the child and how she wishes she had a daughter of her own rather than thinking about her lost love.




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 376
Reviews: 22

Donate
Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:47 pm
LaughingHyena wrote a review...



Nice poem, I particularly like the flow of it and the natural rhyming; a lot of poems written by young writers on the subject of love and heartbreak seem to make the rhyme and rhythm kind of forced, but this generally flowed nicely. Ones that I especially liked were the lines; "I know that I'm the one for you/I know I love you through and through" and "I wish I was him, I wish she were mine./I could've told you this if given the time", again they just go so nicely with each other and fit with the rhythm. There were the odd spelling mistakes and capitalization errors here and there; such as 'site' instead of 'sit', and the way some lines did not have capital letters at the beginnings unlike all the other lines-these, however are quite minor and can be edited easily. There was also the couplet "And now you look at him with so much love,/And she looks like him who once was above" which I would personally change, as the use of love/above to rhyme in poems is rather overused and a little clichéd; this, however, is your own decision-many famous songwriters use it and get away with it! All in all, a good poem with nice use of rhyme and rhythm. Keep up the good work! :)




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 525
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:37 pm
planve wrote a review...



Nice nice nice. Even though i am a guy reading this, i cant help but fall for it. Am not going to correct you much but just say that you might want to divide it into stanzas because its easier to read that way. And good work with the rhyming...really gets people happy. Keep writing.





I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts.
— Orson Welles