z

Young Writers Society



Rough Drafts

by Emerson


So, I took another stab at ultra short poetry. I think I did better with this one, than with my last. All comments are appreciated greatly!

Rough Drafts

Crinkled pages fold together like
corpses after a gassing—
the realization is frightening.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hey there Clau!

I love the imagery behind 'crinkled pages,' there's so much that can be deciphered from just those two words. The rest of the first line is good too; a nice introduction and already very interesting.

The second line works well and I love the whole holocaust theme you have going (Still got your head stuck on your NaNoWriMo?) and the dash was a good choice of punctuation.

The third line though needs some revision. There's something that's not quite right. I think that realization and frightening have too many syllables to roll smoothly off of the tongue like the other words seem to. Perhaps you could change frightening to something like alarming or daunting or something. I'm sure your vocabulary list stretches further than my own. As for realization, I have very few suggestions. I mean, it's hard to change it without changing the meaning behind your poem but perhaps knowledge, truth or reality would work?

Overall, it's short but you're right, that adds to the impact and I can only guess at where the title comes in. I do have a few hunches I suppose but why not give me an explanation so that I don't embarrass myself with some completely lurid, out there connections that my imagination has thought up.

Anyway, I shall leave my comments in your capable hands and I hope I've helped a little.




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 188

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:47 am
Evangelina says...



ooh nice one, Clau! <3




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:41 am
Emerson says...



Since I've gotten several out cries for the last line, can I ask: what should I do? Is it a matter of word choice, topic, description. Should I add imagery, maybe a metaphor, try to add a larger "oomph" so to speak?

I really don't want to make it longer than three lines, and the brevity (in my opinion) ads to the "punch" of it. But would could I/should I do to improve that last line? If all three lines were beautiful, it would be that much of a better poem.

In any case, thanks to everyone! I appreciate it to no end. ^_~




User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 pm
Stori says...



Who's speaking Latin? Anyway, great job. I like it. Maybe you could add another verse?




User avatar
661 Reviews


Points: 15961
Reviews: 661

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:15 pm
Jasmine Hart says...



I love the first two lines, but I agree with Kit about the third, it felt like a little bit of a let down. I'm seriously impressed by how much power you managed to channel into such a small space. I love your use of language.




User avatar
2058 Reviews


Points: 32885
Reviews: 2058

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:21 am
Emerson says...



Edit. :lol:

Thanks everyone!




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3491
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 am
Snoink wrote a review...



Unfortunately, this poem is too true.

*stabs 43*

With that said, I think the second line is a little wordy and I would probably trim it a little. I think I'm not liking the contrast of "fields" with the other words surrounding it.

Though I may be slightly nitpicky...




User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 1586
Reviews: 402

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:58 am
Wiggy wrote a review...



Ooooo....*shivers*

Creepy. Good. Nice. Wonderful. Loved it.

Can I speak in anything but monosyllables? :P

Hey, great job! Loved it, and I didn't get the hidden meaning of the Holocaust until the second read.

It was worth perusing again!!!

Wiggy ;)




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:47 am
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Love this. So very simple and yet fully developed. Muchas well done (not tha' tha likes o' you needsa compliments from tha likesa moie) but yes. very nice. I especially like the last line; it brings the poem to a full close, and the stark difference in the tone and feeling is wonderful.

I am honoured to have read it :)


*hearts* Le Penguin.




User avatar
163 Reviews


Points: 4987
Reviews: 163

Donate
Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:40 am
Kit wrote a review...



I think there is much to be said about small spoken work. Lyrical, it moves soft across the palate. Sombre, subverting the bucolic agrarian imagery of the field with the allusion to the holocaust. That's very clever, it disarms both the cliché of the former and the melodrama of the latter. The last line I'm uncertain of. It is not without strength but merely pales in comparison with its miraculous brethren, just the rhythm of it, something catches. The title is perfect it gives it a far reaching scope.
Be proud, you supernaturally perfect miscreant, you.





Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee