Pain As An Afterthought

by Em16

I was devastated at first.
I didn’t know how
To see in the dark
I didn’t have the skill
To navigate around the pillars
And pillars of misery.

I stumbled into everything
There were bruises
All over my heart.
Hope was the salve
I applied, trying to cover up
The permanence of my brokenness.

There were a lot of dishes
Broken beneath me
Shards of glass
Stabbing my feet and hands.

It took a while,
It was painful,
But I changed.
My eyes adjusted
I grew calluses
Grew as hard as a rock.

I learned to smile and nod
When I wanted to curse.
Learned to apologize
When I wanted to cry.
Being loved
Is an exhausting business.

I got used to it,
Though I wish I hadn’t.
I wish I still cried
Every night.

But the pain
Has colored my world
So thoroughly,
Invaded my body
So smoothly,
It is now nothing more
Than an afterthought. 

Lethargic wrote a review...

I really like this poem! I love how you describe getting hurt in the opening stanza. I thought the metaphor of navigating in the dark was brilliant! Speaking of brilliant, that’s how I would describe most of this piece. It seems like you have a real knack for metaphors, as all of the metaphors here work! Good job!

Em16 says...

MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi there! I hope you're doing great! I have to admit that you wrote a really nice poem. I think you describe a pain, a change that we are never ready for. For the first three stanzas, I had this feeling of going deeper into the darkness and sadness. And then when you start speaking about the fact that it took a while to adjust it felt that in this darkness there is a light that grew bigger and bigger. I think for a poet it's important when his reader imagines something starting from his work. It also made me think of Star Wars when Ray meditates. I really don't have anything to say on the negative side. I have a question of curiosity, how much time did it take for you to write this poem?
Your poem was great and I hope you enjoy my review! :)

Em16 says...

Thanks for the feedback! It probably took me like 2 hours to write this poem? I wrote it a while ago, and I was just looking through my old poetry and decided to edit it and post it on YWS.

Tenyo wrote a review...

Hey Em16

This is pretty intense. It's full of a lot of raw emotion.

I like the topic as a whole. I feel like a lot of poetry tends to reflect pain and the succumbing to it, but this is more about becoming numb to it and that's a very different sentiment. The metaphor of someone stumbling around in the dark and their eyes slowly adjusting to it is really nice, and the pillars that surround and glass beneath the feet creates a very wide visual space.

The lines 'But the pain / Has colored my world' are fantastic, there's that wonderful conflict between one sense becoming stronger but another becoming number that really highlights the difficulty of the decisions the narrator had to face in moving from one state of being to the other.

It's really nice. I enjoyed reading this =]

Em16 says...

Thank you! I%u2019m glad you enjoyed it.

“I'd much rather be someone's shot of whiskey than everyone's cup of tea.”
— Carrie Bradshaw