Whose Work Is It?

by Ellism

Janine grabbed the February issue of Reader's Digest Korea with trembling hands. How she made it to the bookstore, she had no idea. She was too fixed with anticipation and anxiety. Janine was a determined young woman. She joined an essay writing competition hosted by the magazine few weeks ago, and she was about to check the results. She briefly went through the pages; she stopped, nervous, and finally found what she wanted. The printed words “Congratulations, Top Winners” accelerated her heartbeat to the full. When she saw her name on the list, her brain went white. Then she said, “I knew I could do this.”

Janine walked home filled with accomplishment and pride. She was looking forward to the moment she would confidently tell her parents of her achievement, and imagined their amazed expression. A sudden thought popped into her daydreams – what would be her plan for the free ticket (to any destination) and the prize? A panoramic view of dream spots she had prayed to visit and the long list of what-to-do-with-the-prize swept her dreamily. She decided to make the Philippines her destination. She had recently read an article about the Peoplepower Revolution where Filipinos dethroned the wicked dictator with their own, bare hands. The presidential election was on campaign now; the son of two brave leaders of the revolution was one of the candidates.

Surprise and happiness were written on Mom’s face when she heard the news. Janine’s dad, too, gave an encouraging smile. Janine shuddered and said.

“Mom, I’ve decided to go to the Philippines with the free ticket. Is it OK?”

“Sure, darling. It’s your choice. Just be careful.”

Janine’s mom hugged her, and said quietly.

“I’m so proud of you, Janine. It’s all your work.”

The ticket to Manila, Philippines, was scheduled within the week. She packed her belongings, prepared for a trip alone. It was what she had earned. On her way to the airport, she was still thinking about the prize. A big money, she thought. She considered saving it, but she wanted to award herself with the money. Janine arrived at the airport shortly. She kissed her mom, hugged her dad, and hurried to catch the plane. On board, she fell asleep dreaming of oncoming adventures.

The moment she stepped out of the airport, she breathed the tropical air and felt immediately hot. She took a cab to begin her 2-day tour. The first spot she chose was Farmers Market, a crowded place of stalls, vendors, and housewives. She preferred not to visit typical tourist spots; she wanted to feel the life of Filipinos through her own skin. She roamed about the place, and observed different people. She was too absorbed in her task that she did not even realize she is losing her way. When she finally got back on her senses, she found herself in the midst of foreign streets of a squatter area. She felt a sudden chill through her neck. She remembered the stories of abused tourists, and warnings of her friends. Janine suddenly shivered, startled by a touch of a stranger. A little girl was looking at her, asking for money. She was relieved. She was frightened once again, however, by the sight of crowded kids. Few people were around the place, but no one seemed willing to give a helping hand. A sense of danger alarmed her. She turned and began running to the opposite direction. A glimpse of pursuing kids was caught, when she looked back. Though it was merely a bunch of kids, she felt seriously threatened by those big, dark, and hungry eyes. She found a place of refugee at last, a church. Undoubtedly, no harm would be done in such a place. Without hesitation, Janine stormed into the holy building.

She vigilantly walked through the aisle. The quiet, relaxing mood of the church comforted her. Janine sat on one of the chairs, thinking of how she would get back to the hotel. She was too shocked and scared to pass the streets again.

“You must have been chased by those kids.”

A motherly voice approached.

“Oh, I am sorry. I didn’t mean to break in like this.”

“It’s all right. This place is open to everyone. It’s an orphanage.”

Janine examined the lady. She seemed to be a gentle lady in her early forties.

“Thank you very much. Do you take care of all the kids in the facility?”

“Yes, I try to do my best. Well, you look like a tourist. Where did you come from?”

“I’m from Korea. I just happened to come here with a prize ticket from a contest.”

“You won a contest! Congratulations, you must be very thankful to God.”

Janine grimaced and replied, “Frankly, I’m not. I’m more thankful to myself. I did it myself, and alone. I’m sorry. I’m not a religious person.”

“I see. You are a talented, independent girl. You think it’s all your work, don’t you? Please don’t be mistaken, I’m not talking about God. My question is directed to others.”

Janine asked. “What do you mean by ‘others’?”

“I mean your family, or your friends. Do you think you could have done anything in your life if not for them?”

Janine hesitated. “You pay too much attention to a stranger,” was her cynic response.

“You’re probably right,” – that was the end of the conversation.

The old lady kindly called on a boy from the orphanage to escort her to the hotel. The boy’s name was Ron, and was about 14 years old.

“I was at the back, when you were talking to Mama.”

“I had no idea,” Janine replied, still in a bad mood.

“You know, I also joined an essay writing contest a couple of weeks ago. I wished that I would win the first prize- a free ticket and money. I wanted to go to Malaysia, and give my sister some money. She’s working there.”

Stunned, Janine listened to him. He continued,” I guess the first prize was for someone else. She’ll do what she has to do, I believe.”

She could just say, “Oh.”

For the rest of the tour, she felt like her soul had been sucked out. The lady and poor Ron continued to whisper into her ear: Do you deserve any of these? She felt as if she had stolen a coin from an innocent child. She remained in that devastating state until she reached the airport, and finally arrived in Korea. Janine walked through the arrival gate of the airport, and saw the dear faces of her family and friends welcoming her. A torment of emotions flowed into her heart – a mingled expression of guilt and thankfulness. She ran into her mother’s arms and said, “No, Ma, it’s all your work.” Janine’s mom simply patted her.

“It looks like the trip’s been a hard one!”

One of her friends jokingly said, and they all laughed.

As soon as Janine got home, she brought the prize money from the cash box. She divided it into two exact halves. On each wad of money, she wrote:”For my family and friends,” on one and “For the dear lady and Ron, and their lovely home” on the other. Now Janine knew exactly what to do with the money.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 am
captain.classy wrote a review...

This is very cute, and has a wonderful moral to it. As I was reading it I thought to myself "What is the plot of this story?" because at the beginning you don't see a problem that needs to be resolved; she seems to be getting everything she wants. I like how you left it a mystery to us for most of the story. There is one thing you left too much of a mystery, and it't that until the last sentence, I had no idea she was having trouble finding what to do with the money.

Some other things that should probably be explained: How old is she, and why are her parents letting her go on a trip to the Philippines so easily? Seems a bit dreamy to me. Also, you should probably describe the chase scene between her and the kids a little more in-depth. It goes by so quickly I'm confused about what's actually happening. Be sure to stress the reason of why they're chasing her, so we know for sure.

A little girl was looking at her, asking for money. She was relieved.
Um, what? This confused me a bit too, since I would definitely not be relieved if a little girl was begging for money; that would stress me out beyond belief. It would also make me quite sad. So there's this problem with human emotions that you have to tackle: when you're writing, be sure to think to yourself: "how would I feel in this position". Or more importantly, if you know your character well enough, how they would feel. It's possibly your character isn't like you, which is fine, so you have to know them well enough to decide how they'd act in certain situations.

I really like this, and hope to see more of your writing. I think this could turn into a wonderful children's story. ^^

Classy

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm
Soulkana wrote a review...

This is totally awesome....just wish it was longer and you added to it...I really would love to see how this all turns out in the end. However, do as you wish! This is fabulous and I hope you get far and succeed with your works, Ellism. Good luck with this story and may you receive many many reviews!!! ^^. Good luck and Happy Writing!!!!!!!!!
Soulkana<3<3

Hi everyone who clicks on my profile!...Um, not quite sure what else to do here. Yup, definitely new at this! XD
— Magebird