E - Everyone Mature Content

“You know you’ll die, right?”

by EllieMae

“We’ll have to figure something out.”

“You’ll just have to go back to the hospital”

Like I don’t already know

As I starve myself

“You’re underweight, why are you doing this?”

“How many days has it been since you ate?”

My body already aches

Not there yet, I need to do more

“You know you’ll die, right?”

“Just eat anything!

I didn't eat last month

Calories are poison

“Have you lost weight?”

“You’ll just gain it all back as soon as you eat”

Doing 200 sit-ups at 2am

I sleep during the day and stay awake at night

“I don’t understand your problem.”

“You won’t be able to look like this forever”

I am so happy and disgusted with myself 

But I’m not beautiful yet

Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:08 pm
Fishr says...

Ah, anorexia. I don’t have much to comment on other than the short piece describes perfectly how the human brain reacts to society’s misgivings and pressure towards perfection. I especially liked how it ended with, ‘Not beautiful enough yet.’ That just hits so many levels of ‘Awww, you need a hug.’

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:26 pm
HikariHateke wrote a review...

Oh wow this really made me see things differently.

I can see the struggle as you fight with yourself, Your body says one thing but the mind says another

I may not have exactly experienced this myself -I'm kinda the opposite always considered 'too skinny'- but I know how hard it is to fight with yourself on the subject of food.

this is just so fresh and raw? Idk how to describe it but it's a good story and I love the feelings behind it.

Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:28 pm
BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...

This poem is amazing. It tells a story that just resonates with me. Not particularly because I have experience, and that's what I like about this poem. You don't need to have experience to appreciate it. I love the fourth line. I'm a guy who is underweight for my age, and I find myself doing everything to get bigger. I like the setup of the stanzas. The way you italicize what they say is nice. The last line is the best. It shows the conflict at its height and that is something that I like seeing. You don't see a conclusion if that person ever changes their opinion. If they ever work it out. I guess from the way you wrote it that this is your story. I appreciate the honesty. The frankness. It takes a lot of guts to put something like this out, telling your story (if this is indeed your story). And if it is, best of luck. Well that's all for this review. Enjoy the rest of your day. Again, I loved this poem and I wish to see more from you in the future. Until next time! :)

EllieMae says...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I loved your review and I appreciate it so much. Have you got any literary works that I could review for you?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:56 pm
Katem_277 wrote a review...

Hi! I've just got to saw wow! This is so emotional and honest that its beautiful, though I'm not sure if its a short story or a poem?

I really think you did an excellent job at conveying misunderstood feelings in a simple way. I especially enjoyed the line "I am so happy and disgusted with myself" as I think that this is very relatable yet confusing feeling that you have been able to put into words.

I also loved the contrast between comments and the unseen struggles behind them.

Overall, I think this poem is excellent and you have done a really good job! Keep up the good work :)

EllieMae says...

You are so lovely! Thank you for the review :)

When I was writing I didn%u2019t exactly have a plan in mind. It%u2019s more of a creative work. A short story with an organized structure.

-Ailah Evelyn-Mae

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:28 am
ForeverYoung299 says...

Hey! Just had a question. Is this really a short story or a poem? It feels like a poem but it's written short story. So, pls clarify. Then, I will review it.

EllieMae says...

Hi! I hope you%u2019re having a fantastic day!

So, when I wrote this piece I was really trying to express what I%u2019m going through and the thoughts in my head. It%u2019s more of a short story that has an organized and repetitive structure.

-AilahEvelynMae

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:17 am
Lily_ofthe_Valley18 wrote a review...

Wow. The rawness of this, the truth, the honesty. It hits home for me- in more ways than one. Being a survivor myself, I can totally be there within this. People never understood what I was feeling, or why I was doing what I did but it made perfect sense. Thank you for sharing this because it shows the cruel reality of the battle people go through with their eating disorder. You were able to beautifully capture it while still staying true to yourself. Thank you for being brave and sharing the story of how it truly is. You are wonderful

EllieMae says...

You are amazing! Congratulations on being a survivor and I wish you all of the happiness your heart can handle. %u2665%uFE0F Have you got any literary works that you would like me to review for you?

-AilahEvelynMae

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.
— William Shakespeare