Home » Literary works » Art » Other

Dreams

by Ell15

I. I am at a birthday party. It must be my party because I am blowing out candles. I am huffing and puffing, but the flames will not go out. The candles multiply. Their flames and shadows cover the cake, then the table, then the room. The fire refuses to extinguish. The candles grow longer and taller, and they peer down at me as though I am some kind of an insect. Their fiery wigs ignite all the furniture in the room, and I am surrounded.

II. Tonight, I am a flower. I have a lion’s mane constructed of pink petals. I whisper and whistle in the wind; the sky is endless, as is my spirit. I lie alone in a field of only me. The rest is air, and for the first time in my small life, I can breathe without worrying about breathing on somebody. The grass tickles my leafy feet. I am the prettiest flower in the meadow. I am the only one.

III. I am in a room filled with poisonous snakes. They do not know of my intrusion. As long as I remain still, they will not notice me. The silent serpents decorate my feet with leftover scales as they slither over me. I stop myself from trembling, for my life is on the line. I stare straight ahead, ignoring the warm yet shiver-inducing string of life that slinks up my back. There is a candle in the room. One of the snakes scoots a little too close, and the candle tips. I am frozen to a whole new degree. The flame begins to spread, and the snakes become uneasy. There is no escape. There is no way out. I still cannot move, for the snakes will attack me. I cannot not move, however, for the fire will swallow me whole. I must choose which I would rather be consumed by. The snakes are everywhere. The fire is everywhere.

IV. I am at the North Pole. I assume this because though I cannot see Santa Claus, I see ice everywhere I look. Thick walls of ice mirror me with care, as though my reflection is the most important thing to them. They let their cool acceptance gently settle over me like a blanket. I sigh, and my breath freezes in midair; it falls to the ground, and suddenly I am a co-creator of the beauty I see. I turn in awe, and out of the corner of my eye I think I see a lit match in another delicate reflection. I whirl around, but there is no flame to be seen. I wonder what I saw.

V. I am back in the field in my flowery form. I look up at the stars that are each trying to shine brighter than their companions; the light of each inspires another. They seem to go on forever. Tonight seems different; I feel lonely. Though I am still the prettiest flower, I feel for the first time that it is unfair; I am also the ugliest. Suddenly a roar hits my ears, but it is no sound from my lion’s-maned self. I turn and see the grass that once covered the meadow being sucked up into a vacuum of fire. The fire is a true wildfire; it is a rebellious child. It stretches to the sky and across the horizon, but still it is not satisfied. I witness it live while it dies, burning bright, but not realizing that it is burning itself. It comes towards me. I cannot move—I am a flower.

VI. I am in a white room that goes on forever. The ceiling is not high, but the walls never cease. In the room are the people I love. They stand in a line that matches the infinity wall, and they hold hands. They smile at me with their mouths, but their eyes do not change. This makes me uneasy. Without their smiling, dedicated eyes, they seem to be different people. I decide to leave it be and go to hug everyone. Suddenly I am crying. It feels like a goodbye.

VII. I am fire. I am not in a fire, nor am I on fire, but I am fire. The fire has trapped me; it has taken me under its sizzling wing, and I fear my soul is melting. The fire is in me, and I am being consumed from the inside, and I cannot escape, for when I drink water it only boils. I see my beloveds again. This time no part of them smiles; they run in fear before I can ask them for help. I run after them, begging them with cries, fiery cries that always sound angry even though I am not. I run…I am running too fast, too fast, and I catch up with my family, but I cannot stop, and before I know it I have burned them to a crisp, but I did not mean to; I would never mean to, but suddenly they are gone. I try to stop running; I try to trip myself, skid, anything to protect my loved ones, but I am no longer in control. I am no longer the fire; the fire has become me. It takes my body and my memories without my permission and uses them against me, and I cannot stop it. I cannot stop myself. I burn and melt and fry my cherished people, and I cannot help but cry. I have consumed myself. I am fire. Fire is me.

Everyone is gone.

I am

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 pm
valdez wrote a review...

Hi the first im going to say is GREAT PIECE and I take my hat of to you Ell15 i dont know if that meant to mean ellis but if it does your cool because my name is also ellis but any way back to reivewing it was a great narrative and I got hooked by only hearing the title it was an interesting concept and I liked how you had the repetiton of fire letting us know the dreams were connected and that even our dream scapes can be burned and destroyed it was a altogether intriquing narrative and will look out for you work in the future

babyhemingway says...

This was an amazing read. One part I especially enjoyed was the fact that you came back to dreams and used a repetition of fire. Some quotes actually brought me to tears: "I sigh, and my breath freezes in midair; it falls to the ground, and suddenly I am a co-creator of the beauty I see." Really really great story. Thank you for sharing.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 pm
erilea wrote a review...

Ell15, nice to meet ya'! I am wisegirl22, grand reviewer.

So, I didn't have any nitpicks or errors of any sort because this was so fluently written. I love these dreams, and although they are sad, I melted into them and didn't seem to notice my surroundings. You're great at this, and I think you'll become an actual author someday. I have my faith in you, may the odds be ever in your favor, and you know the pen is mightier than the sword. You can join Ravenclaw house, if you want. I'm in there too!

-wisegirl22

valdez says...

Leo is better then annabeth

erilea says...

I know that, not. Leo is my third or fourth favorite character, but Annabeth probably rocks the most. Just saying.

BluesClues wrote a review...

Hi there!

So first off: This is a really cool idea. Telling a story all in dreams really gets us into the narrator's head and gives us an idea of her (her? I'll just go with that) fears and desires.

My main suggestion for this is that, because we're transitioning from dream to dream, I'd like to see this separated into sections. For example:

I.
I am at a birthday party...

Or, in place of a Roman numeral, you could use Arabic numbers or a one-to-two-word title describing the dream.

This is a stylistic choice, but it can help the reader by organizing the piece. This isn't always necessary, but since these are more or less unrelated dreams (even though the piece is a whole, together, made up of these dreams) it would help keep the reader grounded and let them know where they are.

Welcome to the site! Message me if you have any questions.

Blue

P.S. I apologize but when you said "I am fire," all I could think of was Smaug going "I am fire. I am...death."

Ell15 says...

Thank you so much!(: I like that idea, and I'll put some kind of separation in.
Thanks!(:

GrayLady wrote a review...

Well, hello. You knew this was coming, my friend.

As you very well know, I'm obsessed with your writing style. It's probably my favorite thing in the world. Which may not make my review the most helpful one you will ever receive. My major and possibly only point is that, in your second paragraph, I got a little confused. "I lie alone in a field of me". For some reason, that just didn't flow for me. You're in the field, and there's air in the field. But it's a field. So how can it be a field if you are the field? I think I may be looking a little too much into it. I probably am. But, that's really all I saw. You know what I love from your writing.

Keep writing,
Emily

Ell15 says...

Thanks!(: I'll read back over that and see if I can make it flow more.

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb