z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Ghost Man (3/4)

by Elinor


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

That day dragged on. When I woke up I wasn’t hungry and there wasn’t much in my pantry but I was able to nibble on a piece of toast. Still in my pajamas, I sat back down on the couch. I didn’t want to lay in bed; I’d done so much of that at the hospital. What would I do? Where would I go? I didn’t feel like doing any of it. I went to go refill my coffee, and I dropped the cup. It shattered on the floor. Shit.

Liz and Rick stopped by at lunchtime to bring food and flowers, and the pieces of the shattered cup were still on the floor. She immediately got my broom and started sweeping while Rick stood awkwardly off the side.

“What happened?”

“Nothing, I just dropped my cup.”

The way she looked at me was too much for me in that moment. “I’m not a child, Liz. I can take care of myself.” I took the broom from her, and she sighed.

“Monty, it’s not that you can’t take care of yourself--”

“What is it then?” She stared at me like a deer in headlights as I finished sweeping.

“Nevermind. Um.” She looked over at Rick, who was still standing there, still holding the food.

“We got takeout from that Italian place you like,” he interjected as he took out three plates. Fettuccine Alfredo for Liz. Chicken Parmesan for him. Spaghetti Bolognese for me. We ate and towards the end Liz had to excuse herself to the bathroom.

I was alone with RIck. We sat in awkward silence until he spoke. “How long have you known Liz?”

“Since we were eighteen.”

He nodded.  “I wish she loved me the way she loves you.”

That caught me off guard. Liz and I were often mistaken for a couple, but I just didn’t feel that way about her. I sat there, not knowing what to say. “We’re just friends,” I finally managed.

“I know,” he responded. 

I said nothing. Liz had returned at that point. We finished lunch, they left and I was alone again. 

Shortly thereafter, the phone rang. It was Joe; Liz had reminded me he said he’d call. After some chatter about how I was doing, he got right into the business of the movie. 

“So, as you know, we’re almost wrapped,” he began. “I know you’ve worked really hard, but we won’t be needing you on set going forward. The movie’s still going to be released, you’re going to be credited and paid as you should be.”

It took a moment to sink in. I had a feeling this was going to happen, but I still had some hope that somehow, I’d be able to finish this movie, because I didn’t know what was going to come after, if anything.

“Joe…”

“I’m really sorry to have to do this, but we have to do what we have to do to make it work. It’s not personal. I really mean that. We’re going to rewrite some scenes and shoot the rest with doubles. Like I said, you’ll still be in the movie.”

“I understand.” There was so much I wanted to say, but I was choked up. It hurt. I couldn’t deny that. But maybe it would be better to have to face everyone again.

“I hope everything looks up for you. Take care.”

“Bye.” I hung up the phone, and I lost it. I wondered if I would ever act on another set.

The rest of the day inched by. I was starting to feel sore from not really getting up off of my couch all day. But if I went out, where would I go? There was nothing I felt like doing. At best, people would stare, at worst, reporters would hound me. Day became night, and it was clear and starry. It looked beautiful, and the air outside was probably still sweet from the rain. I felt the urge to take a walk.

I walked over to my front door and opened it. I was met with a perfect night breeze, and as I looked out at the street, it was peaceful and quiet. Maybe I would just go for a short walk. That wouldn’t be too bad. I hadn’t really been outside in a while. Suddenly, there was a rustling of the bushes. Startled, I slammed the door shut. As I stood against my wall, I realized it was probably only an animal. Still, I put the chain on and closed my blinds.

After making a pot of tea, I called Liz to tell her about my phone call with Joe. She was furious. “I mean, he could just shoot the right side of your face, he could do more angles, there’s so many ways around it.”“Yeah, but then in between takes they would have to look at me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay.” 

“Hey, uh,” she paused. “About earlier today...I didn’t mean to make you think you couldn’t take care of yourself. I just… ” She hesitated.

“What?”

“If I hadn’t make you come that night none of this would have happened.”

I bit my lip, unsure of what to say. Finally, words came. “Maybe. None of us could have known. It could have still happened anyway. You don’t know.” I trailed on and none of my words were making sense, so I was thankful when she cut me off.

“Hey. Call Rod. He wants to talk to you.”

“Sure. Talk to you later.”

“Bye.”

I hung up. I didn’t want to call Rod. Not because I didn’t want to see him, but because I didn’t want him to see me like this. There was another reason too. A few weeks before the accident, I had resigned that I still had feelings for him, but I had done nothing. He was with Jean and had been for a while. He seemed happy, and I wasn’t going to ruin a good thing. But dealing with it now would just make everything more complicated.

I turned on the TV, tuning out for a few hours. At a certain point, I kept staring at the phone. My heart was racing, and something possessed me to dial his number.

“Hello?” I’d recognize the voice anywhere. Still intoxicating even when he wasn't singing. 

“Hey, um, it’s me. It’s Monty,” I said. I noticed my hands were shaking. “Liz said you wanted to talk to me.”

“Yeah. I mean, how are you? I’m sorry I couldn’t spend more time in the hospital.” 

“It’s alright. Liz is taking really good care of me.”

“That’s what she does,” he said with a laugh. “Um, do you want to meet? I mean, can you go out? We’ll meet for drinks or I can come there, whatever works.”

“Why don’t we get out of the city?”

“Sure.”

We made plans to drive into the mountains that weekend. After everything I’d been through, I needed fresh air and a good dose of nature. There was a little cafe about an a hour and a half away that served really good grilled cheeses and hot chocolate. We’d go there, spend up a little time in this public park, and not be in any hurry to go back. Jean told us to have fun and sent her love. It was strange. Before, I’d been so nervous about even setting outside my front door. Now, I couldn’t wait for the weekend.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:04 pm
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hello hello! <3

Gonna dive right in! There are two moments I really love in this section: when Liz and Rick come for dinner and when Monty gets the call about the movie. They feel a little empty on their own, though, so I wonder what would happen if you combined them? What if Monty gets the call while Liz and Rick are there for dinner? Then you get the perk of upping the tension when Liz tries to console Monty about it, but maybe Monty is still processing and doesn't want to talk about it.

One of the things I'm noticing as I read is that there aren't very many stakes in this story. Monty has gone through a big change to his physical identity, sure, and he's lost his part in the movie (sort of: he's still IN it he just doesn't get to finish it the way he wanted) but none of that seems to bother him all that much? None of it is presenting a challenge, other than he feels pretty down.

Stories thrive on conflict, but as it is, there isn't really any "in story" conflict that is presenting a challenge for Monty to overcome. I'm not sure what this would be, unless Monty confronted the movie producers and tried to fight his way back into the movie, but I don't get the sense that's the story you're trying to tell. I'm not familiar with these actors, but I get the feeling you're writing a fictionalization of real life events. Which is great! But it still needs a conflict with a bit more urgency.

Otherwise, I'm excited to keep going and read the final part! <33

--Lauren




User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:39 am
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Hey, Elinor!

I'm back again and gonna roll right into the usual.

She immediately got my broom and started sweeping while Rick stood awkwardly off the side.

You already named Liz in the previous sentence, but I think it would be appropriate to name her again here, instead of just saying “she”? Also, I'm guessing you meant “off to the side”, rather than just “off the side”?

“What happened?”
“Nothing, I just dropped my cup.”

Here, you could probably go with “she asked” (or “inquired”, which my brain initially suggested, but that's probably too fancy). Uhhh, dialogue tags-- you know! Mostly just because this is the first dialogue of the chapter, and I feel like it would beef up the scene some? I dunno-- given that there's three people, it could potentially be taken that Rick asked what happened.
But it's all up to you, of course! These are just suggestions for smoothing out the flow and strengthening the scene.

I took the broom from her, and she sighed.

This comma may not be necessary.
(Also, when this review is finished, feel free to let me know if you'd like me to omit these smaller corrections when I review part 4!)

“What is it then?” She stared at me like a deer in headlights as I finished sweeping.

Maybe add a tag describing how he said it? Did he bark it? Shout it? Given Liz's reaction, I take it that he said it similarly to that, but leaving the reader to guess isn't a great tactic. The immediate mention of Liz after Monty's dialogue (without a paragraph break) could also confuse some readers into thinking Liz said it, though they'd have to really not be paying attention, for that, lel.

We ate and towards the end Liz had to excuse herself to the bathroom.

I think a comma after “We ate” would be good, here.

I was alone with RIck. We sat in awkward silence until he spoke. “How long have you known Liz?”
“Since we were eighteen.”

RIck, lel
I think “an awkward silence” would be easier to read through/sound better. And then, the dialogue is confusing here. We don't have any indication as to who's saying it until a couple lines later, and that's not goood!
If you drop the dialogue to its own line, then tack a tag to the end, indication who spoke it, this could be fixed up right quick.

I had a feeling this was going to happen, but I still had some hope that somehow, I’d be able to finish this movie, because I didn’t know what was going to come after, if anything.

The “I had a feeling” and “I still had some hope” feel sort of present tense, while I know full-well that this is referring to his thoughts before Joe called. “Had had” is an abomination of the English language, so I won't suggest it, but my suggestion is pretty close-- I think “I'd had a feeling”/”I'd still had some hope” could help with the tense here.
It's not a totally necessary edit, but you might consider it!



I felt the urge to take a walk.
I walked over to my front door and opened it. I was met with a perfect night breeze, and as I looked out at the street, it was peaceful and quiet. Maybe I would just go for a short walk. That wouldn’t be too bad. I hadn’t really been outside in a while.

His urge to take a walk is mentioned, then he goes to the door and looks outside, and his urge to take a walk seems to be reinstated? It's a bit odd and feels repetitive, but it's not too bad. Just thought I'd point it out!

“I mean, he could just shoot the right side of your face, he could do more angles, there’s so many ways around it.”“Yeah, but then in between takes they would have to look at me.”

Uh-oh, mushed-up quotation marks! I'm guessing you missed a line break here, lel

“If I hadn’t make you come that night none of this would have happened.”

So it's Liz's fault!! Also, *made

I trailed on and none of my words were making sense, so I was thankful when she cut me off.

I've personally never encountered “trailed on” before? At first I thought this was a typo of “trailed off”, but the rest of the sentence indicates the opposite. Maybe reword it? Or not, if I'm the only person who mistook it, lel

“Hey, um, it’s me. It’s Monty,” I said. I noticed my hands were shaking. “Liz said you wanted to talk to me.”

Does Rod not have caller ID? Or did he remove Monty's contact? Or did Monty get a new number?Though I suppose it makes sense for Monty to identify himself when he's so nervous.

We’d go there, spend up a little time in this public park, and not be in any hurry to go back. Jean told us to have fun and sent her love. It was strange. Before, I’d been so nervous about even setting outside my front door. Now, I couldn’t wait for the weekend.

“spend up a little time”? Or was there an accidental extra word here?
And “setting outside my front door”-- was that intentional or did you mean “stepping”?
I'm unsure of how the former sounds, but the latter is fine-- just checking whether it was intentional or not.


Anyway, this was a good chapter. Flow/pacing was great, characters were good and true to their previous behaviors. There isn't a lot of imagery, but with Monty's mood (and this being from his perspective) that kind of makes sense? I mean, when you're depressed you don't really acknowledge a lot of the things around you.
It also just works in general with this being more character-driven and less involved with the world. Some more imagery would still be nice to see, but it's not a biggie.
My only issue with this all is the absolute lack of dialogue tags. I can't recall whether I said I'd stop mentioning imagery or tags in the last review, and if it was either of those, I apologize for bringing both up again, but there are almost no dialogue tags throughout this chapter. I can follow who's saying what, for the most part, but sometimes it takes a reread. The lack of tags also causes a rather bland look to the work, with these thin ladders of dialogue between paragraphs. Tags are also useful to enhancing emotion and giving characters more life.

Upping the dialogue tags could really benefit this story.


Otherwise, great job! I hope this review was helpful.
Keep up the good work!

- Hatt




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:18 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



From relatable...

I didn’t want to lay in bed; I’d done so much of that at the hospital. What would I do? Where would I go? I didn’t feel like doing any of it.


... to oh shit. That accident doesn't even relate to Monty's state (or does it?) and it still gives me feels.

I went to go refill my coffee, and I dropped the cup. It shattered on the floor. Shit.


Also,

That caught me off guard. Liz and I were often mistaken for a couple, but I just didn’t feel that way about her.


that clarifies it! He doesn't date her, after all, so I'm going to suggest ditch the 'new boyfriend' in Part 1 and just say Rick is her boyfriend (because obviously Monty isn't hers, is he?). And yes, I totally agree with both of them - Liz is just so caring towards Monty that the affection can be seen as romantic, but Monty isn't feeling that way with her, so maybe it's between friends and couples? Like, BFFs? Still, this is in his PoV, so we can't know for sure Liz doesn't have feelings for him.

*screams profanities at Joe*

It's remarkable how a human can be less of that when it comes to business. Even if you can't help but to remove Monty from the movie, at least be polite about it. Consider this person-who-has-just-survived-an-accident's feelings. Sad how these people exist in real life.

Maybe I would just go for a short walk. That wouldn’t be too bad. I hadn’t really been outside in a while. Suddenly, there was a rustling of the bushes. Startled, I slammed the door shut.


Alright, this makes me chuckle. Of course, Monty's not feeling humorous at that time, but the scene is inevitably that. Maybe photographers are in there, maybe not. Am very glad he makes the right move here. And I'm so grateful for this scene!

Aww, Liz feels guilty. I should've known the significance of the flashback-dream earlier, but now I can see other reasons why she takes so much care of Monty. Also... wasn't she in the same car as him? I think I missed this part earlier, but hmm, I'll come back there later.

A few weeks before the accident, I had resigned that I still had feelings for him, but I had done nothing. He was with Jean and had been for a while. He seemed happy, and I wasn’t going to ruin a good thing. But dealing with it now would just make everything more complicated.


CONFLICTS. Romantic conflicts, gawd, I crave these. Usually for me when it comes to gay conflicts the crush is single, but having him a girlfriends just makes everything more complicated and more people involved which leads to more people potentially get hurt. I really wonder how this is going to be solved. Rod's awkwardness maybe due to him being not that close to Monty? Or is he feeling the same way as Monty? O.o

Still intoxicating even when he wasn't singing.


Me every time with my crush[es].

Yes. I approve the last paragraph so much. I want to see Monty confessing his feelings towards Rod. I want to see some happy moments in this sadness-scattered story just so my heart is wounded that badly. I want to see them being cute together. Most of all, I want to see Monty escaping his depression state, because I'm not liking how he deals with all these at all. It gives a very, very bad vibe.

Strong part as usual. Moving on! :D




User avatar
51 Reviews


Points: 5523
Reviews: 51

Donate
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:39 pm
View Likes
Nobunaga wrote a review...



Hello again!

So we're reaching the end of this short story. I honestly thought this was going to be longer - I still need to work on paying more attention to tags - and I'm a bit worried about your pacing. We've been through the hook and the setup, but I was expecting some sort of climax in this chapter. I can see that you're setting up for something with Monty meeting up with Rod, but I'm unsure about what I, as a reader, want from this conclusion.

Usually by this point in a story, I have some idea of where the plot is going or where I want it to go, but here I really have no clue. That can be a good thing, but the problem I'm facing is that we've basically had two chapters of filler and not much is happening.

The call with Joe went just as I expected - poor Monty - but I feel like it could have been hyped up more. It's the only real plot point that happens in this chapter and it takes up less than half of the entire thing. With a story such as this, "little" things like that phone call can have more of an impact if you were to add a sense of melodrama to them. A story like this needs melodrama in order to continuously captivate your reader.

I don't know how invested you are in this, but if you do decide to edit and expand, I would suggest focusing more on the phone call and the paparazzi and such.

Other than that, I don't have many other critiques. I did find it a bit odd that Monty left the glass on the floor for the whole time Liz and Rick were out getting lunch, and then tried to protest whenever Liz began to clean it up for him. I mean, if he was going to get so upset about it then I feel like he should have just cleaned it up himself before they arrived.

Now, if he'd have dropped the cup as soon as they'd arrived at his house then I could have sympathized with him, but.. Yeah, that was just weird to me.

I'm sorry if this review seems a little negative! I mean, I obviously am still very invested in your story because I'm still here lol. I just would have liked to see the pace sped up a bit. Actually, I would have stood for a slower pace with more detail and emotion invested in what was happening to Monty.

Okay, for example,

I hung up the phone, and I lost it.


You say here that he "lost it", but you don't explain how. And immediately after this we're moving on. Like I said, I don't know how invested you are in his story, but some expansion on these things would be appreciated.

And now I'm rambling so I'm gonna sign off. I am excited that I get to see Rod and Monty meeting up in the next chapter! I don't know what to expect, but I'm super jazzed to find out!




Elinor says...


Hey! No worries about being "negative". I appreciate how much you enjoy the story and have been giving your thoughts on each part. :3 I agree that I need to change the cup shattering until right before/right as they get there, so thanks for pointing that out.

My goal with this I think wasn't necessarily to do a three act structure, but more of a character study. I agree the detail's a bit lacking, and while I'm open to expanding I do want to keep it as a short story and it's already about nine pages. I hope you like the last part. When you're done, I'd be happy to discuss with you more. I'm not sure if you're on discord but you can poke me there or shoot me a PM. 8D




What orators lack in depth they make up for in length.
— Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu