z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Alex and Jay/2

by Elinor


That night, Alex dreamed of her mother.

In the dream, they were in Disneyland. It was a perfect sunny day, and her mother was glowing and happy, and looked like a princess dressed in white. She held Alex's hand the entire time. But as soon as the dream came, it was gone, faded away to nothing.

She woke in the middle of the night, in the motel room, next to Jay. The windows were frosted over. It was the second week of May, and it was probably freezing outside. Maybe she and Jay could go south. To somewhere it was warm. Alex started to hear something hit the windows. She realized it was hail and sighed. She was tired of these endless winters.

Jay was sound asleep. She watched him for a moment, hoping he’d wake and put his arms around her, reassure her, make her feel safe. She was shaken. It had only been a dream. But it had felt so real.

“Jay,” she said.

His eyes opened. Without speaking, he showed her that he was listening.“I had another dream about my mom.”

Jay pursed his lips and sat up. He didn’t speak, but his eyes gave her the signal. Tell me about it. I’m listening.

“It was so real,” Alex continued

He took her hand. “I’m here,” he said. He outstretched his arms and pulled her close.

She remembered how her father would often hold her mother the way that Jay held her now. He held Marcia that way too, but it wasn’t the same thing.

She wondered what the two of them were doing now. How they’d reacted to her note. How people at school would react when they realized she wouldn’t be coming back. She hadn’t called Edna at the bookstore, reasoning that she would the next time they had the opportunity. She’d come up with an excuse, and Edna would replace her just as easily as she’d been hired.

The two of them fell asleep, just like that.

As the weeks passed by, they fell into a routine. Drive. Stop to eat and for gas. Spend some time in the forests, just the two of them. Have sex. Before long it had become no big deal.

It was something Alex had been so terrified of before, and yet she wasn’t sure why. While it was amazing, being with him, she found herself wishing they could go to the movies and why she couldn’t call him her boyfriend.

Still, this was better. All she’d ever wanted was for someone to love her, and she’d found herself a man who was not only handsome, but the smartest man she’d ever met. He told her about philosophy, about how brilliant the ancient Greeks and Romans had been, about John Locke and Thomas Hobbes and their ideas. And it was exciting, never being in one place for more than a night.

Soon the days ran into each other. Jay became more distant. He wouldn’t respond to her touch. She would try to start conversation and he would give short, clipped answers. It had been weeks since they’d last had sex. He was upset with her, though Alex had no idea what she’d done, and she didn’t think to ask him. Alex realized during all of this that he’d never told her that he loved her, but maybe he didn’t need to. They’d been through so much together already, and he hadn’t abandoned her.

One morning, they were driving through the mountains, through some of the nicest houses that she’d ever seen. Alex drove. She and Jay hadn’t said a word in hours.

That was when Alex saw the girl, her thumb outstretched. Dressed in plaid. She was pretty. Proper. Thought put into her appearance. She was going to drive by, but Jay made her stop.

The girl got in. She was crying.

She took off her gloves. Were those silk? They had to be.

She was really pretty.

Her name was Sasha.

And from then on, she would never leave the two of them. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 161
Reviews: 21

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:04 am
View Likes
ryleigha wrote a review...



Hello again Elinor!

This is Ry again with Griffindor here to review part 2! I'm so glad you have a second part!

I really loved the second part of this story! You did a really good job of foreshadowing in the first part to show that Jay wasn't really to be trusted. I also liked how unreliable of a narrator that Alex is. It really shows how infatuated she is with Jay, even with the slow realization that their relationship wasn't healthy to begin with and is changing rapidly.

The only real notes that I have on this one is again, that I want to know more about Alex's back story. I think it would be easy to add after her dream. I honestly am left with several questions about who Alex is and I found it a little distracting. Unless that is what you were going for, then consider that checkbox marked!

Really really well done on this second part! I also loved the ending with the addition of Sasha, it really added a lot to Jays character! And I have to say I'm so glad I was right about him when I read the first part!




User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 3561
Reviews: 29

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:40 am
View Likes
mckaylaam wrote a review...



Hi Elinor, I'm back for another review of your short story. The first part was great and has me thinking about a lot of questions, so I was curious to see if they were answered here in this second part.

The third paragraph you wrote, about the windows being frosted over and wanting to escape the endless winters, was very well-written in my opinion. I'm from a southern state so I can definitely relate to not wanting to deal with cold weather (:

One minor improvement that could be made would just be to add the word "wondering" to the following sentence:

...she found herself wishing they could go to the movies and wondering why she couldn’t call him her boyfriend.

Without the "wondering", I had originally read this as her wishing why she couldn't call him her boyfriend, which was confusing. I'm assuming this was just a typo though so no worries!

I start to felt myself empathizing more and more with Alex, especially when she was questioning her relationship with Jay and wondering if he actually loved her or not, since he had not explicitly told her yet and they began to grow more distant. I've been in a similar situation before so I think you summed up the emotions pretty well.

As for the ending, I really enjoyed it - we finally find out who the strange girl is from the previous part of the story, but we still don't know her background. I'm really interested in finding out more about Sasha and how she impacts both Jay and Alex, since she apparently never leaves the two.

Again, great work - keep it up! :)





Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.
— Helen Keller