z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

On My Birthday

by Ejay1806


On My Birthday

As I blew my candle,

and cut that velvet cake,

As adulthood embraced me for a fondle,

I embarked on a journey I didn't want to make .

I wanted to relive

those good old days again .

I wanted to be a child again.

I wanted to be that little girl

who used to play with dolls,

who used to wear frilled tutus

and wish over shooting stars .

I wanted to be that little girl

who used to adore Disney princesses,

who used to dance with cardboard cut-outs,

and long for her mother's bouncy tresses .

I wanted to be that little girl,

who used cry over a broken sand-castle,

who used to gleefully chase butterflies

and fuss over glasses of milk .

I wanted to be that little girl,

who used to wait for the day to die ,

Not to embrace sleep,

But for grandma's enchanting lullaby.

I wanted to be that little girl ,

whose eyes spoke of freedom.

whose laughter sounde like Mozart's Symphony,

and whose eyes glimmered with hope .

Now ,

I see myself as the candle ,

And my golden childhood as the melting wax .

Like the Wax, it gave me a purpose ,

But today, it has retired into an eternal lapse.

I turn around and look .

Everyone seemed so content .

Everyone seemed so complete .

But why did I feel so hollow ?

Like something had died inside me ?

How could I ever be an Adult ?

With the ghost of my younger-self

Still lingering inside of me ?

They say that Time heals all wounds .

Will it heal this troubled spirit ?

Will it apply the balm of acceptance ,

Over this spirit of negation ?

I glance at my picture

Hanging by the wall.

She smiles at me .

I smile back .

And that's the end of my birthday .

© Ejay 2017 . 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hello Ejay!

Being a little girl is fun and carefree, and I definitely agree. The idea of a girl growing up who still feels the sharp tug of childhood and who misses it was woven well in your poem.

Still, if you were intending to have a rhyme scheme, you didn't exactly execute it well. A few lines throughout the poem did rhyme, but the rest didn't. If the rhyme is as irregular as this, you should either choose to have free verse or rhyming verse.

But today, it has retired into an eternal lapse.


I don't really feel like "eternal lapse" was a good choice of words. I think you could improve it.

They say that Time heals all wounds .

Will it heal this troubled spirit ?

Will it apply the balm of acceptance ,

Over this spirit of negation ?


These lines jarred your poem, and honestly, I didn't really like them. Try a rewrite of those four lines.

At the very end, I didn't really feel like the girl changed through the poem. With this type of poetry, I prefer it if you have an "arc"; that something changes at the end. It doesn't have to be a person. It can be a circumstance, an object, a perspective. I would have liked it if the poem ended on a hopeful note.

But overall, like I said before, I enjoyed your poem, especially the theme of it, especially the realization of the birthday girl that she was growing up. Still, the ending was a teeny bit disappointing and needs some work.

I hope my review wasn't too harsh, or it wouldn't bore you. Keep writing more poetry :)

Princess Ink




PrincessInk says...


Whoops! I forgot to make it a review....



niteowl says...


Hi PrincessInk! Just letting you know that I marked this as a review. If you forget to mark something as a review again, feel free to let a mod (green or red names) know! :)



PrincessInk says...


Oh thanks :) I'll be more careful next time.



Ejay1806 says...


Thanks a lot . I really appreciate your review . It meant a lot to me . Cheers !



User avatar


Points: 105
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:34 pm
philoneist wrote a review...



Hello! I would like to start by mentioning that your work is quite good. It presents a plethora of imagery for the reader and ends with something with which most of us can connect. I feel in sync with the second half of the poem, though my opinion might be biased as it's hard to connect with the experiences with the person of opposite gender.

>who used cry over a broken sand-castle.

There's a 'to' missing here but it's a simple mistake and can be overlooked.

You can make this more appealing by avoiding the repetitive use of words like 'wanted', 'used' and 'again'. There are more suitable and attractive verbs available to replace such words.

The same can be said about repetitive sentences but the imagery helps to overshadow this.

With that said, I appreciate the effort you put into this, as I am sure it's not easy to create a poem of such length and draw out your thoughts.

Keep on sailing!




Ejay1806 says...


Thanks a lot . Your review meant a lot to me . Cheers !




"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon