Midsummer night's cool touch

by ERZA

A storm has just ended,

though its still raining.

The clouds are slowly turning

into mere wisps of nothingness.

Chilly winds are blowing occasionally.

After the angry thunderstorm,

The sky looks so calm

and night- perfectly peaceful.

The sky is becoming clearer.

And the full moon is lighting up

The beautiful naked night,

casting a spell of slumber.

The moonlight casts ghastly shadows

of the trees swaying with the breeze.

The midnight sky of midsummer

tries to lull me to sleep.

The cool and crisp air is still jinxed.

The smell of wet earth and clean grass,

hits my nostrils and fills me

with a strange calmness.

The moon keeps on looking

at the faraway meadows

lost in her own thoughts.

She was glowing with sadness

and was up there all alone.

As I lay on my bed looking at her,

feeling the cool breeze touch my skin

I let myself drown in the smell of monsoon

and let sleep take over my senses.

Gardevite wrote a review...

Hey, I'm Hightop, here to review your poem! :D

A storm has just ended,

Even though its still raining.[/quote

I think the words "Even though" are interrupting the flow of the poem. I usually don't comment on capitalization, but you capitalized "Even" and I think that may have been a mistake, considering you look like you're trying to go for correct Grammar, punctuation and capitalization.

The chilly winds is blowing occasionally.

I don't think the word "occasionally" is necessary here. It interrupts the flow of the poem a bit. Maybe try something smother like softly, or gently.

The sky is all cleared up now.

This line seems a bit out of place. Maybe try something like "The sky is clear".

The beautiful naked night,

There's nothing wrong with this line, I just wanted to comment on the fact that It's lovely and really suits the poem.

The midnight sky of midsummer

tries to lull me to sleep.

Another like the last. I feel like this poem is improving as I go along.

hits my nostrils and fills me up

Maybe think of more varied words, particularly with the words "hits" and "up"

somewhere very faraway

I automatically cringe when I see 'somewhere', 'someone', 'something' etc. In poetry. We have such an amazing platform with poetry. This line could be improved, maybe with some imagery.

She was glowing with sadness

and was up there all alone.

Word variation would be nice here, not necessary, just for aesthetic appeal. I do think that these two lines lose something because they ran into each other, but that's just an opinion.

Right! That's all my nitpicks.

Overall I liked your poem very much! Your imagery was divine. I felt it tapered to excellence, as in it got better and better as i read on. I would suggest adding some more varied words, and maybe a few more comparisons, but overall, a good job on this Erza!

-Hightop! :D

ERZA says...

Cannot help but alter this again and again. :-) I agree on what you jave said and actually I have not yet thought about what to put to make it beter but your review surely helped. Thanks.

Gardevite says...

Glad to help. I honestly thought I came off a bit harsh. I would like to again say that I really liked this poem :D

ERZA says...

Its alright really. 'Cos its you people's reviews that improves my poems so I didn't mind at all. Anyway do check out the edited piece. Hope its alright now. :-)

Gardevite says...

I loved what you changed the part about the moon to! Beautiful!

ERZA says...

Finally I got it nicely done I guess. Thanks for helping.

ajruby12 wrote a review...

Hey! ajruby12 here!
Ok, I'm going to jump right into it.
"The chilly winds is blowing occasionally."
Grammatical error, I assume?

"The sky is all cleared up now."
This line is just.. Dull, to say the least.

So all in all, some sections were very artistic and engaging, others "meh" and a couple I just wanted to skip over. I think this could use a little work but I love the idea going! :)
"May the reviews be ever in your favor!"

-Lady Ariana, The Silver Knight

ERZA says...

Thank you so much for pointing out those things. You see I was writing it on the spot in the cellphone- on YWS directly so maybe I missed that out. And I agree I gotta change those lines. Thanks once again. :-)

ERZA says...

ajruby12 says...

Ha, sounds like you're a spontaneous writer like me! I wrote my one poem, Story of the Grave (minus a couple corrections) in about 8 minutes.. :)

ERZA says...

Please check out my poem. I have altered it a bit. Hope its alright now. :-D

Blackwood wrote a review...

It's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway.

The sky is all cleared up now.

This line. This line was blah. It was so simple compared to the rest of your lines. I found your descriptions very nice and then all of a sudden this crazy simple line jumped out. It looks and reads like a kid wrote it. Just this line, not your poem. Yeah you get the idea.

The beautiful naked night,

I love this line, not much more to say about it but the slight alliteration really tops it off. Good job.

Whats going on here? Grammar malfunction. You mean The chilly winds are blowing or the chill wind is blowing. Plural or singular. Not both.

The air is still jinxed with the
sweet smell of wet earth and clean grass.

Ending with the on that line sort of takes away from it. Let me make a suggestion here.
" The air is still jinxed
with the sweet smell of wet earth
and clean grass.."

Much better.

On that note setting in some stanzas may make this poem read easier. Every four lines seems a good place to but a paragraph break, but like that example I mentioned about, you have a few other funny line finishes that would be re-written nicer. This may give you five line settings which world work, however I do think you should follow some sort of pattern.

Good job and stay sexy.

ERZA says...

Thanks for the review! :-)
And you are right I got to correct those lines and a few others now that I have read my own poem. And it was maybe because of some bugs but I could not write it in stanzas the publisher would edit my poem and this was the most decent format so it was the only way I guess. Thank you once again.

And then, as if written by the hand of a bad novelist, an incredible thing happened.
— Bartimaeus of Uruk