z

Young Writers Society



"The Crazy Game of Love" (A fan fic)

by DuckaKellBell


Hey yall! I am new here and I wrote a fan fiction about Kelly Clarkson. I really love how it turned out and I just want to get some comments on it. It is 55 chapters long, so I will post a couple chapters at a time. Thanks!

Chapter 1

"Kelly, your tour starts in less than a month! You have to choose your opening band soon!" Said an angry Ann, Kelly's PA, "Or else I will have to pick one myself!"

"But I can't choose! There's three bands I like." protested Kelly.

"So then pick the one you love, the band you can't live with out...and what do you know? You picked an opening band!"

"Um, alright." mumbling to herself. "I don't think I could live with out that Graham."

"Did you say something?"

"I know who I want my opening band to be!" Kelly exclaimed.

Ann starts to run around Kelly saying "Thank you, God!"

"Well, don't you want to know who it is?" Kelly asked kinda confused.

"I don't really care at this point," joked Ann, "I am just so glad that it only took you four months to choose one." She rolled her eyes.

"Anyways, I don't think I could live without the Graham Colton Band."

"I should have known, since they were the only boy band left." Ann laughs.

"So, do you want me to call them, or you?"

Ann walked away. She's too excited that Kelly has finally picked an opening band to even hear Kelly ask that. Ann and the rest of Kelly's management were getting worried that Kelly wouldn't pick an opening band in time, then they would have to pick one themselves. And none of Kelly's management was leaning for the Graham Colton Band. That would mean they would have a cranky Kelly all tour, and no one likes a cranky Kelly!

Chapter 2

Today is the day that Kelly gets to meet her opening band face to face. Kelly is nervous and excited. Graham has the same mixed feelings. They never actually met each other yet, just talked briefly on the phone the night before. Graham was so honored and excited that THE Kelly Clarkson asked his band to open for her! He told his band that this is going to be the biggest artist they get to open for yet!

"Is Graham here yet?" An excited Kelly asked Trey.

"The last I heard his bus hasn't pulled in yet." Trey responded.

"Oh." You could hear the disappointment in her voice. "Well, let me know when his bus arrives."

"Don't worry, Kelly. You will be the first to know."

Trey and Kelly all of a sudden hears this loud roaring sound.

"That must be his bus!" Kelly screamed jumping six feet high!

All Trey could do was laugh at Kelly. Her face lit right up and she was running around the room with this huge grin on her face. But what Trey didn't know was that Kelly's heart was beating a hundred times per mintune. Kelly was really nervous to meet Graham.

As Kelly was running to the door these thoughts were running through her head: "What if he's not as cute as his picture?", "What if I don't like him?", Kelly freaked to herself, "What if he dosn't like ME?"

The door flies open before Kelly can turn the door knob. But the door still manages to whack Kelly in the face!

"OMG! I am SOO sorry!" Said a panicky Graham.

He started to think to himself: "Wow, smooth Graham. That's always the best first impression!"

"Well, don't just stand there! Get me some ice! I think I am going to have a black eye!" Kelly yelled to Graham and Trey who were just watching her.

The two guys ran out of the room so fast, if you didn't know better, you would think the both of them were trying to win Kelly's heart. Actually, who's to say they both weren't?

Chapter 3

A sleepy Kelly with one big black eye is seen coming down the stairs of the rehearsal hall that Kelly and the Graham Colton Band rented together. They both figured it wouldn't hurt them to do their sets a couple times together, just to make sure the concert isn't too long and for technical reasons.

"How's your eye feeling?" Graham asked

"Um, I think it's doing a little better, it doesn't burn when I blink anymore." Kelly was half joking, half still a little mad.

"I am so sorry! I had no idea you would be by the door!"

"Save it, Graham," Jason said from behind them, "There's no point in feeling sorry for giving Kelly a black eye."

"Thanks Jason, I love you too!" Kelly joked.

"Kel, who are you kidding? Accidents like that seems to find you! Remember when you were in Alaska? Oh yea, and when you broke your pinky?" Jason started to laugh as he remembered seeing the moose chase Kelly in Alaska.

"Ha ha ha, It's so funny when your baby sister hurts herself." Kelly rolled her eyes.

"Tell me! I want to know what happened in Alaska! And how did you break your pinky?" Graham was brave asking Kelly this.

Kelly gives Jason 'the look' for getting onto this topic. She hates it when people talk about her clumsiness. Jason knows nothing good can ever come out of that look. He changes the subject real fast.

"So, anyways, don't the two of you have some rehearsing to do?"

Kelly smiles at Jason to thank him for changing the subject.

"Right yea, rehearsing" Graham said, he completely forgot about that.

Kelly and the three guys walked to the auditorium together. The roadies already finshed setting up the stage for Graham. Kelly's and Graham's eyes widen with approval.

"I love it! I love the huge banner that has my bands name on it!" Exclaimed a very happy Graham.

"I designed it myself," Kelly was excited that Graham liked it. "I was hoping you would like the black with white lettering. I was going to have it a navy blue with bright red lettering, but then I figured these colors will show up more."

Graham looked at Kelly and he looked like a kid in the candy store. He had no idea about the banner. He was thrilled that Kelly thought of him. He loved it!

"Kelly, you had it made? I absolutely love it! No other band I opened for before has ever done anything like that for me! Thank you soo much! It means so much to me!" Graham exclaimed as he threw his arms around her and picked her up.

That was when Kelly first felt it. She could tell by Graham's eyes that he felt it as well! Kelly was falling in love!

~Darci


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 pm
itsCate says...



Very well done.




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 pm
itsCate says...



Very well done.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:43 am
DuckaKellBell says...



Thanks everyone for the crities....you've been a great help!

~Darci




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:27 am
Snoink wrote a review...



First of all, this reminds me of some stories I did a little bit back, before all the angst began permeating my teenage life. It written in an upbeat manner, which I like, and it does have some potential to be a really awesome story. It has an interesting plot line, and the mood of the piece is positive, which really sucked me in.

The main thing that's holding back the story is the grammar. Grammar is usually one of those "things" that nobody likes. I mean really... which would you rather do? Write a story, full of life (like you have done) or edit it, paying close attention to the grammar? Even so, grammar is the the thing that usually can hold back a good story from being a great story. Your story has lots of potential and all you have to do is fix a couple of grammatical errors.

Let's go through it!

"Kelly, your tour starts in less than a month! You have to choose your opening band soon!" Said an angry Ann, Kelly's PA, "Or else I will have to pick one myself!"


Okay, first of all, remember when I said I wasn't really used to today's music? I have no idea what a PA is. I'm not saying that you should go on this lengthy description about what a PA is (that would be boring) but perhaps you don't have to abbreviate it. :)

And then... dialogue!

Dialogue is really the coolest parts of the story. The thing that really seperates story writing from any other sort of writing is the dialogue. Coincidentally, dialogue can be really fun to write.

First! Let's go over punctuation in dialogue.

Read this:

Punctuation is awesome.

Punctuation is awesome!

Punctuation is awesome?

Punctuation is… awesome.

Punctuation is… awesome!

Punctuation is… awesome?

Most likely in your head you will be reading the sentences in different ways. You will probably be making the sentences with exclamation points sound more excited, the ones with the periods sound more mellow, and the ones with the question marks sound confused. For the ones with the triple periods, you’ll automatically place a pause there.

Isn’t that cool??? Your brain automatically assigns different ways of reading something just by the punctuation you use. With that said, punctuation is one of the most fundamental elements of writing. There was once a professional writer (I believe Ernest Hemingway) who, upon being asked what he did for his novel, replied, “I put a comma in.” If Ernest Hemingway would spend an entire day figuring out where to put his comma, then you can correctly assume that where punctuation is can change the whole effect of the story.

Exclamation marks are one of the best tools a writer can use. Not only can it create enthusiasm in the piece and stress something out, it can also add an interesting way of telling something. It also gives a very friendly feeling to the piece. Look at how many exclamation marks I'm using in this critique! Most likely, you think I'm the nicest girl ever. In fact, most of my critiques which are NOT well received generally do not have a lot of exclamation marks. Exclamation marks can have a HUGE effect on the reader! However, exclamation marks, like all things, can be used for evil instead of good.

For instance, look at your first three sentences. In each sentence you have an exclamation mark at the end. This creates a feeling of false enthusiasm. Mind you, it's quite understandable. The first thing you want to do as a writer is to create an interesting opening, and exclamation marks can help you a lot with that. But there is such a thing as overdoing it.

Try to limit your exclamation marks to the things that your characters are actually exclaiming.

Now, I'm kind of strange. Unlike most people, I believe that dialogue isn't just what your characters say, but also the detail that supports what your characters say. So when I read what you wrote, I imagine Ann, her hands on her hips, glaring at Kelly with a death stare. This may not be the image you want. The best way you can put an image in your reader's mind is to describe. Now I don't mean you have to describe every fleck of spit coming from Ann's mouth -- that would be boring -- but the more you describe, the more vivid a picture will come into your reader's mind.

And then there's dialogue grammar!

Dialogue grammar is immensely difficult to figure out. It's like one of those puzzle pieces. Some of them look like they fit in together, but when you finally fit the right piece in, it's absolutely gorgeous. I did a little topic of dialogue grammar in the Writing Tips section (see it here). It basically has some tips about writing dialogue.

But let's look at what you said in the first paragraph!

"Kelly, your tour starts in less than a month! You have to choose your opening band soon!" Said an angry Ann, Kelly's PA, "Or else I will have to pick one myself!"


With correct dialogue grammar, your story would look like this:

"Kelly, your tour starts in less than a month! You have to choose your opening band soon!" said an angry Ann, Kelly's PA. "Or else I will have to pick one myself!"
"But I can't choose! There's three bands I like," protested Kelly.
"So then pick the one you love, the band you can't live with out...and what do you know? You picked an opening band!"
"Um, alright," she said mumbling to herself. "I don't think I could live with out that Graham."


Stop the presses!

Notice, for the two last sentences (the last line anyway) I wrote this as correct dialogue: "Um, alright," she said mumbling to herself. "I don't think I could live with out that Graham."

You originally had it as, "Um, alright." mumbling to herself. "I don't think I could live with out that Graham."

Now, the question is, who is mumbling to themselves? I'm sure this is just one of those random mistakes that came out of nowhere (I saw a particularly bad one in my story the other night as a matter of fact..) so I'm not too worried about it, but just keep a keen eye for them!

"Did you say something?"


Remember what I said about dialogue was not just what they said but what they're doing while they're saying? I'm dying to know what Anna looks like! Is she making fun of Kelly? Is she truly surprised that Kelly chose a band? Is she disgusted with her choice? You can't leave me on a cliffhanger! Describe what her face looks like, what her voice sounds like, what her hands are doing... anything! :lol:

"I know who I want my opening band to be!" Kelly exclaimed.

Ann starts to run around Kelly saying "Thank you, God!"


Yep... I stopped... again.

It's not a problem with the dialogue, thank goodness for you, but rather a trickier problem which takes a little bit more eye to see. It's called tenses. When you say "Kelly exclaimed" or "She said" you are writing in the past tense about past events. It's done, over, gone. The event will never happen again, or if it does, not in the way it was first experienced.

Then there's the present tense. Instead of Kelly "exclaimed" it would be "Kelly exclaims." For example (and I don't want to sound like a butthead pointing out my stories... it was the first thing that came to mind, honest) one of my stories is written in the present tense. Look it over briefly if you want and notice how different it sounds.

What are the differences? Past tense is usually the more common tense. It sets up the reader for a story and gets them in the mood for reading. Present tense is a little bt more lyrical, and is generally used for the more "poetic" pieces, if you will. For your story here, I would recommend the past tense.

Ann started to run.

"Well, don't you want to know who it is?" Kelly asked kinda confused.


Hehehe! I wish kinda was a real word. But it's not. What you would say instead would be, "kind of." But that sounds a little too wordy for me. I would just say, "Kelly asked, confused."

"I don't really care at this point," joked Ann, "I am just so glad that it only took you four months to choose one." She rolled her eyes.


Ah yes... the debate about said.

Some writers hate the word said. Other writers love it. It's quite a controversy. Even so, instead of using all these words to say "said" it's better to just put "said" down instead of "joked." It's just the accepted way.

"Anyways, I don't think I could live without the Graham Colton Band."


I like this line for some reason... it sounds real. :)

"I should have known, since they were the only boy band left." Ann laughs.
"So, do you want me to call them, or you?"

Ann walked away. She's too excited that Kelly has finally picked an opening band to even hear Kelly ask that. Ann and the rest of Kelly's management were getting worried that Kelly wouldn't pick an opening band in time, then they would have to pick one themselves. And none of Kelly's management was leaning for the Graham Colton Band. That would mean they would have a cranky Kelly all tour, and no one likes a cranky Kelly!


Okay, watch out for the tenses in that last bit. Also, the last sentence is a little strange. What do you want to say?


So! I hope this didn't completely bore you to death. Or discourage you. On the contrary, this reminds me of stuff I once did, so I always get hyper when I see a writer who is or was like me in style. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one! :)

Good luck!




User avatar
67 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 67

Donate
Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:15 pm
QiGuaiGongFu wrote a review...



Wow...
Ok, a few pointers,
"OMG! I am SOO sorry!"
OMG should never be used in any literary piece, for any reason, ever. It makes the piece look unprofessional, and unintelligent.

Any time someone speaks, you have "blah blah" adjective noun.
For examlpe:
"OMG! I am SOO sorry!" Said a panicky Graham.
Once or twice, devices like this are OK, but too often, it seems a little unprofessional. You could drop the adjective for most of these. instead of "said a panicky Graham" you could shorten it to just "graham said." We understand that the person is panicy by what they have said, and we don't need to be told again.
In another spot, you say "kelley freaked to herself." which, while we can understand that, it isn't very descriptive. "Kelly began to panic, "what if he doesn't like ME?" reads better.

Your last line ends with an exclemation point. These should generally be used sparingly, and within the contents of the piece. Exclemation points tend to get the reader somewhat excited, and on some level, will expect more to follow. It reads much better as
"Kelly was falling in love." rather than
"Kelly was falling in love!"
As the prior statement gives the piece a more gentle, softer tone, and the latter statement sounds like the person is yelling it in my ear.

You also repeat yourself somewhat. The basic jist of an excerpt:
Kelly gives jason a look for mentioning something, and when he changes the subject she smiles at him for changing it.
Instead of
Kelly gave jason a look for mentioning something, and when he changes the subject she smiles.
The latter works better.

You also short change yourself in a few places.
"too make sure the concert isn't too long and for technical reasons."
I understand the first part, but I don't know what the technical reasons are. Do they need cupholders on the michrophones? Are they making sure that all the stiars are pink?
Your leaving too much to the imagination here.

Technical points aside, this has the potential to be a fairly decent story. However, while I can understand having a strong affinity for Kelly Clarkson, a fan fiction may be taking it a bit too far. The charachter can remain the same, but having the main charachter be a celebrity that we all know tends to seperate the reader from the author. When I first saw this, I'll be honest, I rolled my eyes. Changing the characters name to say, Stacy Clarkson could maintain the interest for you, and the reader at the same time.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 1160

Donate
Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:19 pm
Elizabeth says...



55 chapters.... all about things about Kelly Clarkson....
I need to show this to my mom.

If this ever happens in real life...
That would be creepy.





It’s not unorthodox, I thought it was beautiful.
— Jimi Hendrix