What comes next? - Chapter 1.

by Dreamergirl

(1) When things begin to fall apart.

Time has a doomsday book, on whose pages he is continually recording illustrious names. But as often as a new name is written there, an old one disappears. Only few stand in illuminated characters never to be effaced guarded by power superior than what could be imagined, by hope, faith and belief; and most of all the only immortal power that one could posses – love.

As life moves on, we decide never to look back. But we always forget something; Memories don’t always haunt our future, sometimes you never realize that the light that you’ve been following all this while is the twinkling glow of memories that’s lighting your future. You regret actions that you’ve done before, and try to run away from the truth questioning everyone around and yourself; why did you ever do that? But sometimes, you’ve just got to believe; some things you just do, there is no reason.

When you’re walking down the streets alone on those cold nights, you never know where your destination might be, you might never even realize that you’ve come all that way and reached the wrong place or maybe you’re just lost. A little girl once went through the same incident, she told me that she was scared and thought that she’d never be able to make it home again, and if she was lost then all she could of was; what comes next?

Now.

15th September 2012.

We’re different people now, you and me. We belong to different places; you lay on the soft sand - admiring the songs of the waves. There’s a smile on your face and I know that you are happy. While I’m somewhere else; stranded on a boat in the middle of nowhere, a place where hopes are crushed, opportunities don’t exist and time slips away, a place where people feel lost. There’s nobody around, no one who knows or understands, you might not want to know where this place is, but it’s where you used to live once upon a time; a time when I was happy too, just like you. Now this place is lifeless, it’s my heart.

They say the way to live a happy life is to start expecting less, but that doesn’t actually work for humans; well at least for some of us. There’s nothing you can really change, life’s going to go on, you can’t stop it no matter what you do or how hard you wish for it too. You might stumble and fall a thousand times, now the question isn’t will you be able to be get up, it’s Do you want get up?

When everything changes around you; the position of the sun, the direction of the winds, leaves shed, trees grow older, for some life may come to end while some begin a new one with their first cry, but standing there you keep wondering -How come you’re still the same? Standing at the same place, you’ll find the same you. But if you’re really looking, you’ll realize that you did change, becoming wiser, better and older of course.

I looked at him as a friend, and then I realized; I loved him. He was a very influencing part of my life; still is, and that is a fact I will never be able to change. He scribbles someone else’s name on the columns of his notebook, dreams of her too, that someone isn’t me and I don’t think it’ll ever be. But that doesn’t change anything, I’m still what I am, it’s just now I’ve awaken from my dreams, my vision may still be blur but I know for sure, what I am seeing right now is reality; my reality.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 pm
KnightTeen wrote a review...

Hey, sorry I didn't do this sooner.

First off, is "What comes next," the title of your book. And, "When things begin to fall apart," the beginning of you chapter?

I think that you can put the title of the chapter in the description, and do something o make it stand out from the rest of the piece. Maybe bold or italicize it, so that the reader can distinguish it from the rest of the story.

And what is Time's doomsday book, and why does it have names in it? I think that you should elaborate on this here.

I like your writing style, it's like these are the very thoughts in the narrators head.

There are no grammar mistakes that I can see, good job there.

The only other thing that I would like to mention is in this section here:

He was a very influencing part of my life;

I don't think that the word, 'influencing' fits well here. I might have used the word, "influential'.

That's all, and I can't wait to read more.

Happy Writing!
HT

Dreamergirl says...

Hey, thank you so much for the review.
I'll keep the feedback in mind and make the appropriate changes.

Thanks again. x

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:32 pm
eviehoward wrote a review...

Hi there, here's the review you asked for :)

First off I love the idea of Time having a Doomsday book. It's kind of like Death and his hourglasses. You have such a great idea here!
However, you have overused the semi-colon. Although this is a useful bit of punctuation, overusing it makes your piece feel repetitive. Like here: "But that doesn’t change anything, I’m still what I am, it’s just now I’ve awaken from my dreams, my vision may still be blur but I know for sure, what I am seeing right now is reality; my reality." that semi-colon needs to be a colon. Also this a VERY long sentence. Maybe make it into 2 sentences? Long sentences can drive readers away. I used to make the same mistake. The same goes for this passage too: "Only few stand in illuminated characters never to be effaced guarded by power superior than what could be imagined, by hope, faith and belief; and most of all the only immortal power that one could posses – love."
I suggest you re-write it, here's an example: There are but a few names that still stand, illuminated, in the book. They are guarded by a power more powerful than mere mortals can imagine. It's guarded by hope, faith, belief, and the immortal power of love.
Of course I'm not the writer, but I think your work could benefit from a few re-writing of sentences.

Overall I love your idea, especially since the character is intriguing and I want to know more :D

Hope this helps!

Dreamergirl says...

Hey,

Thanks for the review, really appreciate it.
I'll definitely keep in mind the sentences, will work on the feedback. x

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 pm
SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...

Okay, Sushi here as promised and reviewing nothing really in particular.
Sentences: Some of your sentences are really long when they could easily be shortened to sound better. I feel like you need more periods and less commas and semi-colons. There some places that needed commas, but I'm sure if you read this out loud you'll be able to find the places.
Grammar: You capitalized some things that didn't need it and you used more semi-colons than necessary. Example.

But we always forget something; Memories don’t always haunt our future
You capitalized memories even though it went after a semi-colon. Periods and semi-colons aren't the same, but maybe this was just a typo.
Hook: Your hook was good, it was interesting and just a little suspenseful. I think you did a really good job at reeling the reader in, but that should be a period. The more periods during a certain part in your story, the choppier and more suspenseful seeming it will be.
Transition: Your transitions from past to present work, but they're too obvious and not recommended that you use them. You can if you want to, really that's just a personal opinion.
Flow: Well if flowed nicely because it seemed like you put some of your own voice in here. The only thing I would work on is not jumping around everywhere. One second you're talking about how the world changes and the next you're talking about a guy you like and how you look at him. I would fix these up so that they have at least something in common. Otherwise your plot seems pretty interesting, keep up the good work!
Sushi :D

Dreamergirl says...

Hey,

Thanks for you're review, really appreciate it! Will definitely keep in mind the feedback. xx

Glad I could help ^_^

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm
sanju wrote a review...

Enjoyed reading the piece. It seems to the opening the plot and the pretext of things to come. You have been successful in drawing the interest of the readers there.

I would differ in your contention though - 'Memories don’t always haunt our future'. And like me, many readers would think likewise.

Overall, you have set the platform well there.

Hope my comments help you.

Dreamergirl says...

Thanks for you're review, will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks. xx

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:08 pm
wolfgirl13 wrote a review...

Dreamergirl says...

Heyy,
Thankyou so much for you're suggestions.
And for appreciating my writing, thanks. :D

wolfgirl13 says...

Sure :D can you send me a pm when you do Chapter 2 please? Much apreciated :D

Dreamergirl says...

Definitely. :)

The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb