z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

What's wrong with Life?

by DreamWork


Is not life a victory?
Or is it just merely a curse?

We wandering, where is exactly the direction that we see?

Or simply drifting with the clock ticking with a battery?

What’s wrong with our life?

Is only the breath of life,
A heart beat,
Hope and dream,
and something to believe.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 533
Reviews: 4

Donate
Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:25 pm
KikiT27 wrote a review...



Hi DreamWork!
I think that you had a very good concept, but I do have a couple suggestions. I agree with Autumns that in the second line you should choose only merely because I too think it is repetive and using just one of the words would really improve your poem, but will still allow to create a great poem. Also on the third line when you say "We wandering" I'm not exactly sure if you meant we are wandering or if it was suppose to be wondering and you just mistyped because I know I tend to mistype sometimes. I also think when you say "Is only the breath of life" you should add a word between is and breath to make it sound a little more complete like maybe it. Then the line "hope and dream" doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure if your tring to say we hope and dream or something like hopes and dreams, so I would suggest adjusting that line to create more clarity in the poem. These are the only things I can really find wrong because it was a very good poem. The title really captured my attention and it was really interesting. Your first line is amazing and I mean it! It's works so perfectly to capture the readers attention and make them want more. So good work and I hope you find my suggestions helpful.




User avatar
155 Reviews


Points: 2994
Reviews: 155

Donate
Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am
Arcticus wrote a review...



Hey there DreamWork! Here's what I think :

Firstly, some corrections and suggestions related to the syntax of the poem :

In the second line, I find the simultaneous use of 'just' and 'merely' repetitive. I'd suggest you drop any one of them, that is, either use just or merely, because both of them convey the same sense.

The lines following the second one have some grammatical errors :

- We wandering : Do you mean, We are wandering?

- ..where is exactly the direction that we see : Do you mean, In what direction are we looking?

- Or simply drifting with the clock ticking with a battery? : I get what you're trying to say, but work on this line. It sounds a little awkward.

- The last four lines : Again, I DO get what you're trying to say, but make it less vague, fix the grammar.

- Is only the breath of life : This sounds incomplete, especially because there's nothing before is.

- Heart beat : Heartbeat is a single word, so, lose the space in between Heart and beat.

- Hope and dream : Doesn't sound right, you can use a hope and a dream or hopes and dreams

Enough corrections. Have I told you what my favorite line was?

Is not life a victory?


Maybe it's just me, but I love this line for its idea of "seeing survival as a victory". Nice.

Keep writing
s




User avatar
22 Reviews


Points: 552
Reviews: 22

Donate
Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm
Kendastic wrote a review...



Hi, DreamWork!

I liked this a lot. The first lines

"Is not life a victory?
Or is it just merely a curse?

really drew me in. It's a powerful opening statement.

However, the next three lines are quite difficult to move through. Some grammar and wording is off. It just doesn't flow, so I would consider reworking it, and if you do let me know, because I would be happy to look it over again!

I love the last four lines. Also very powerful.

Keep being awesome!
Kendastic




Random avatar

Points: 465
Reviews: 7

Donate

User avatar
532 Reviews


Points: 27927
Reviews: 532

Donate
Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:43 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...



Hiya, Dream!

What I liked about this poem is that the subject matter is something relatable, I mean everyone reading this poem is living... lol. Okay, that sounds weird, but basically what I'm trying to get at is questioning life is something that everyone tends to do, and that's because there is no real answer. So expressing that in your poetry is something that most people will find interesting to read. I also like your use of rhetorical questions, as it's something not often used in poetry.

Is not life a victory?
Or is it just merely a curse?

I'm not sure if you wanted it to be so these questions aren't answered, but they aren't really talked about at all in the poem. I feel like they could be, otherwise it's sort of stating something with no points to back it up. I know this isn't an article or something, but I feel you could perhaps write a few more lines on how life is a curse, or how it can be a victory.

We wandering, where is exactly the direction that we see?
Or simply drifting with the clock ticking with a battery?

The 'We wondering' bit doesn't really make sense, did you mean 'we're' or 'we wonder?' And I see you've put italics on the last words of each line for some emphasis, however when read they don't really flow together and it seems like some forced rhyming. I absolutely love the analogy with the clock, because time, and ending time, really is a big part of life. So basically don't feel forced to rhyme!

Another thing is the length of this piece, which I've kind of already mentioned before. What I've understood from this poem is that it's some sort of 'belief' of something that keeps people going through life, which I agree with. Again, with all the questions in this poem, it gives the readers a lot to ponder on, but no substance. You don't necessarily have to do a question-answer thing in your poem, but some of the questions should be addressed in it I think. What's important is what are your views on everything- the poem right now seems quite general and you want to personalise it.

A final suggestion is to maybe just pick a topic which drives the poem, because right now it's a bit all over the place. For example, if you wanted to talk about time, that would work quite well. Maybe how life is something that seems amazing, but the clock is always ticking and it ends too quickly. Maybe something about your views on the afterlife. Totally up to you, but I think it would really help.

I hope this review helped, feel free to PM me wit any questions or if you'd like another review on anything.

Keep writing,
~ArcticMonkey x





We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway