Country Cliche

by Dragongirl

Country Cliche.

Don't you ever get tired of the same ol' thing?
The strum of the guitar, the twang of the string?
That blonde haired girl and her big blue eyes?
'Cause two songs down ya'll be singin' 'bout her lies.
'Nother country boy in the same old fix,
Falls for one of life's oldest tricks.

Chorus:

I'm sick of cliche chicks in every country song,
 With their ruby red lips and legs that are long.
 He'll meet her at the bar when he's down on his luck,
 Or maybe drive her home in his chevy pick-up truck.
 Oh he'll fall for her 'cause it's always the same,
 Thats why country songs are really lame.

Now my hair's as brown as a little ol' twig,
 And root beer's the strongest drink that I'll swig.
 And me climbing in your truck wont ever be a danger,
 'Cause my mama taught me not to take rides from strangers.
 I don't wear jeans and cowboy boots pinch my toes.
 Oh I aint your typical texas rose.

Chorus:

That's why country songs are really lame.

Repeat chorus.

I wrote this after arguing with my best friend about what was better hip hop or country. I said that all country songs were alike and that even I could write one. So this was the result.

Hope you liked it, please let me know what you think.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 pm
MiddleEarthGal wrote a review...

Country is better. (Sorry, couldn't help it! XD) But YOUR country song is one of the best I've read! In all seriousness, everything flowed great, and your sense of humor is very much present throughout the song.

Thu May 31, 2012 8:54 pm
WarriorVoice says...

Hey! I don't see anything wrong with all country songs being a little the same. After all, although love is different for different people, it still has many of the same phenomena: The nervousness, the drama, the lies, the jealosy, and how good it feels when someone you love loves you back, or just being near them. At the same time, not all country songs are about love. How much country music have you listened to?
In the end country music has a few common themes:
Not worrying.
Being totally in love. (Usually not with someone too classy, either: A hardworking boy or a simple girl like in those old fairytales.)
Being totally out of love, and wishing you were still in love.
Having been deserted by someone you love.
Memories of the good old days.
Country music and tradition itself.
And a few other odds and ends I can't remember. If it comes down to it, all music is lame in that it has too common themes: love and music. Doesn't stop me from listening.
Also, I've never heard a country song mention ruby red lips. Where'd you get that one?
Just defending the music here, although I'm sure your friend does enough of that. It would be a good song, IF it was in rebellion instead of a complaint, and had a deeper meaning like that you aren't typical but you still want love, or your love isn't typical, or your love outclasses country songs. Basically, Instant song Recipe Just Add Love.
Good as a poem though. Got good rhythm and form, and good description. I'm guessing you can write even better than this when you want to and aren't just dissing country music.

Ha! Hi, Dragon!

I liked this a lot. xD (Now, I share a similar opinion to you about country songs, but not completely the same since there is the occasional country song that I can listen to.) The rhythm and flow was awesome, and I could definitely get a feel for how it would sound like.

Additionally, you captured a lot of the stereotypical themes in country songs. xD I had a few giggles when I read it. I could even get the tone from the speaker. xD 'Twas awesome. Well done!

I think if I had any criticism, they would be nitpicks. As I'll point out here. I did notice you didn't have a bridge, and while it's not necessary, they are fun transitions to use or consider. So that it doesn't sound like it all jumps around. Kind of like the bow-tie on the song's idea(s).

This couplet doesn't seem to connect in any way, so it felt clunky when I read it. Maybe it sounds better, but.... I dunno. It did like how this implied a tie with the chevy truck thing. Two songs down the road~ Maybe work with that. I dunno. Food for thought!

I didn't really like the second line here. It might be me and using terms like "lame," but I feel like it could be better phrased. It seems to stand out from the rest of the song. Probably just me, though!

Oh I aint your typical texas rose.

I think the term "cowboy boots" didn't really help with the... symmetry of the line, if that makes any sense. xD The rhythm is off in that line. Maybe it sounds better in the song. Maybe using "blue jeans" would help balance it. Dunno!

I like how you did this though. xD I wonder what your friend said if/when she read(s) it? I enjoyed this song a lot. xD Well done!

Jabber, the One and Only!

LadySpark wrote a review...

Hello there! Drama here to review! ;)

This is actually impressive. I can totally see this as a real country song, and the flow is excellent. It's a nice breath of fresh air to read a country song that isn't the same old country song, but it is. It's absolutely fantastic. I really liked it. And as a person who appreciates some ole' Garth Brooks and Chris Young, I have to agree that all country songs are the same.

When I was reading this in my head, there was a tune in my head and the rhythm that kept pace the whole time. I've wrote a couple of country songs myself, and found the rhythm the hardest thing to keep, so kudos. Really, the only nitpicks I have is that it's not very long. You also don't clearly show us where the chorus ends, so that was kind of confusing when I was reading. And the line 'That's why country songs are really lame.' just feels out of place. You've got such a nice rhythm going, and then suddenly it feels like you've stopped. Even though the rhythm comes back, it disappears for one line, and then the reader is feeling... almost depressed that you didn't manage to keep the rhythm the whole time. Other than that, fantastic song! You sure showed that friend ;)
Your grammar was good, as was your punctuation.

Congrats on giving the country song world a breath of fresh air!
Even if this was to prove a point, it was wonderful. You should write more! ;)
Drop me a line if you have any questions or if you write another country song.
~Drama ;)

lili024 wrote a review...

It's very good. You could upload the music sometime. I'd like to hear it. I like it how you say Country songs are lame in a country song. I'm not a big fan of country, but it is true. Most country songs ARE like that. It's very good.
I think Texas is with a capital letter. That's the only bad spelling I could find. You seem to be talented with lyrics. I'd like to hear more from you.
~Lili

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you.
— Maya Angelou