L.O.S.E.R.S. Episode 1

by DragonWriter22

Ziploc jumped down through the tires of the playground and found herself in the L.O.S.E.R.S.’s secret lair. The room was awfully dark.

“Uh guys?”

“Sorry. We forgot to pay our electric bill and now we need to use candles.” Spark said as she carefully lit a line of them with a small flame held on her finger. “Although I can’t see how the candles are cheaper than the electric bill, but at least I get to be useful for once.”

“I see. Drat, I needed to charge my laptop. Oh well.” Ziploc went to her corner of the room and sat at her desk with a swish of her blue cape. “Do we have any new missions?”

All six of them shook their heads.

“Really? Wow, that means we haven’t had one since . . .” Ziploc looked through a thin folder, “August 11th. Man I’m getting bored.”

Suddenly the iphone sci-fi ringtone sounded through the lair, “Sorry, let me get that.” Ziploc fumbled in her pocket, “Hello?”

Silence greeted her on the other end.

“Uh, Hello?”

More silence and a few muffled noises.

Ziploc quickly looked at her phone to see who had called, “Susan?”

There was a sudden gasp of breath. “Ziploc! Thank goodness you said my name!”

“Um, what?”

“I haven’t been able to talk for hours!”

“How did that happen? Did I leave your mouth ziplocked? Sorry.”

“No no no! I was just going down to the store when I suddenly ran into Jinx Guy!”

DUN DUN DUN!

Ziploc gasped, “Jinx Guy is back?! I guess my super strong ziplocking wasn’t enough to keep him quiet for long.”

“Yeah, and if someone doesn’t stop him soon, he’ll silence all of the city!”

“Don’t worry! The L.O.S.E.R.S.’s are on the case!” Ziploc grinned, glad to finally have a mission.

“For some reason that doesn’t make me feel any better,” Susan sighed.

“Then the Revengers are on the case!”

“Ziploc, I only really called you so that you’d say my name. Thanks. You saved me! Now, I’m going to call Superdude so that he can take care of the Jinx Guy problem.”

“What?! Superdude? You can’t trust him. He’s actually a supervillain!”

“Yeah I know, I know. You’ve told me. But I really think you should let that rivalry go. He’s a better superhero than you and that’s that.”

“It’s not a rivalry! He’s an actual-”

“Sorry, I’ve got to get going. I have cookies in the oven that are about to burn. Bye Zipper!”

“It’s Ziploc!” Ziploc said in frustration as the call ended. “Well guys, I guess we sort of have a mission, but we need to get there before Superdude does. To the Super Minivan!”

The Superlosers jumped up and rushed to the minivan, so eager to be on a mission that they didn’t even ask Ziploc for details.

The Superlosers quickly made their way toward the minivan.

“Shotgun!” Ziploc shouted as they came in sight of it.

“Shotgun!” Climbert shouted a second too late. “Dang it! I called it first mentally.”

“But I’m first in command, so I need to be in front.”

“I’m the weapons specialist, so technically I should sit shotgun.”

Ziploc considered this. “Drat that makes so much sense. Fine,” Ziploc hopped into the back of the car along with Bubbles, The Gardner, B.E.R.T., and Spark. Sharpster, being the only Superloser who could drive, got in the driver’s seat.

“Speaking of weapons, how are we doing on that?” Ziploc asked as she buckled her seatbelt.

“We have three water guns and a nerf gun. We’re out of bullets for the nerf gun.” Climbert said.

“Too bad we aren’t fighting Flameron,” Ziploc shook her head. “The water guns work real well against him. Guess we’ll just go with our powers.”

“Who are we fighting?” Sharpster asked as she started the car and began driving.

“Jinx Guy, didn’t I tell you . . . oh right, I didn’t. Well, it’s Jinx Guy.”

DUN DUN DUN!

“Jinx guy?” Sharpster asked.

DUN DUN DUN!

“Yes, Jinx Guy.”

DUN DUN DUN!

“Uh, what’s with that music, it’s getting really annoying. Where’s it coming from anyway?” Ziploc looked around.

“Sorry!” Spark said,“I thought it sounded cool!”

Ziploc shook her head in bewilderment. “Anyway . . . Sharpster, what’s our battle plan?”

“We’ll be using Operation Duct Tape,” Sharpster said as she turned the car.

“What’s Operation Duct Tape? I can’t remember all our code names.”

“It’s not a code. It’s actual duct tape. We’ll use duct tape to tape our mouths so that Jinx Guy can’t jinx us.”

“So we’re making it so we can’t talk, so that Jinx Guy can’t make it so that we can’t talk? Awesome! Take that Jinx Guy!” Ziploc grinned.

“So where exactly is Jinx Guy? And second of all, where is the duct tape?” B.E.R.T. asked, “Because we’re going to need those details.”

“Wow, I haven’t told you anything have I? He’s at the grocery store and I think you’re sitting on the duct tape.”

“Oh, okay.” B.E.R.T. grabbed the duct tape and pulled off a piece of it, then he handed it to Spark.

One by one the Superlosers duct taped their mouths shut and silence took the bright orange minivan.

“Mmmhmmm me momom maaah ma mommmen mull,” Ziploc said.

“Mmuh?” Asked Bubbles.

“Muh muh minme,” Ziploc sighed and pulled off the duct tape, “Aaaah Ouch!”

Bubbles winced.

“Ow ow ow, okay, I SAID it’s too bad we couldn’t take the monster truck.”

Sharpster glanced back at the other heroes, “Meah, mmmff mme-”

“Yeah, I know, I know. We can’t afford the fuel and it wouldn’t hold all of us anyway.”

Sharpster nodded.

“It still would be sooooo much cooler than the Super Minivan,” Ziploc frowned. Someone else had spoken the last words along with her. She spun and looked out the window.

“Jinx!” a man with flaming red hair and a yellow mask shouted from his black car. He laughed and sped up, driving rapidly away.

Follow that Car!’ Ziploc tried to shout, but found her voice died within her throat. She couldn’t talk. She ground her teeth in frustration. She should never have taken her duct tape off. Luckily Sharpster was already on it and she put her foot to the gas pedal. Soon they were speeding down the road after Jinx Guy.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:54 am
MrBrainwasher says...

More power to you and your characters!
To the supet minivan!

XD Thanks

Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:49 am
Mea wrote a review...

*Dies laughing again*

Okay, so yeah, I think it's good that you expanded this. It ends at a better place and gives us more time to get used to this story.

Biggest small complaint: commas. There's several places where you should have them, but you've forgotten them. Generally after exclamations like "Drat." Also, watch out for your dialogue punctuation. If there's an action after the dialogue, the dialogue ends with a period, not a comma. Same with action before dialogue - they become two separate sentences.

For example: "I'd better get going." He turned and left.

And this: She glanced behind her. "What are you guys doing?"

Spark said as she went around the room lighting them.

Okay, so on my 2nd readthrough I realized duh, she's lighting them because she's Spark. But I didn't get that the first time because you didn't mention her powers at all, or really go into detail about any of their powers.

And that leads me into my biggest overall tip: more exposition. I almost never say that in a review, but there you go. We're just a little bit lost. I wouldn't say you need too much more - for example, I don't think we really need long explanations of any of their powers. It's just the little things - like saying that she was lighting the candles with her finger would really help.

The biggest thing that would be good is just a tiny bit more introduction of the characters. We don't get a full list of who is in the scene until they all get into the car, and I think that's a little too late. Maybe instead of saying "everyone shook their heads," you could say "all x number of them shook their heads." You don't need too much - just the number of people would help a lot.

Spark's introduction is great - she just does something that you can tell only she can do, light candles with her fingers. But all the others don't get that time, and so I can actually hardly remember them already, and it doesn't help that their powers aren't really that obvious from their names. The only other one that stands out is Sharpster, because she can drive.

Same with setting description. We don't need a lot - this isn't that kind of story. But we do need just a little bit more than "it was dark," tucked in around other actions and dialogue.

So basically, try not to slow down the pace too much, because the pacing is fast and snappy like it should be. But right now you're kind of sacrificing immersion into the story, characters, and world. Weave in little sentences and clauses that give us hints and clues, and you'll be golden. What you don't need: long paragraphs that explain powers or even the backstory of Jinx Guy or Superdude, nor do you need much physical description.

Also, I loved the shotgun thing. That was probably my favorite joke. And the illogicalness of using duct tape to stop him from jinxing them was just funny.

I realize I kind of said the same thing as the previous reviewer, but I tried to go in a little bit more detail, and to be honest I can't think of much else to say. This is a very solid start, it's just that you could give us a bit more solid sense of the other characters right off the bat.

Thanks for the review! Yeah, a lot of the lack of description comes because I was writing this with and for my friends on who the characters are based. We all knew what everyone was supposed to look like, so little exposition was needed. I definitely plan to add more description now, as this is for a different audience. Thanks for your feedback on how to do so!

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:58 am
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...

This is so funny xD ....

Hello dear author!
Well I saw this in the green room and I had to comment on this. I'll try and make this at least 4 lines so that it at least counts as a review. (I really want to get this out of the green room.)
So anyway, I liked the idea of Super L.O.S.E.R.S. one would think that a super hero team would be named more like ... You know "avengers " kind of thing but L.O.S.E.R.S sounds so much better. Hahah.

The only thing that I would like to suggest to u is try describing your surroundings and characters more thoroughly. It gives the readers mind a better imagination. For example when u introduce superdude, you could have given a better idea o how he looked or his physical characteristics. You should do that to ohr characters also.

Anyway that's all I got.
~DivergentDemigod
(I know this wasnt too helpful)

I'm glad you enjoyed my story (: and thank you for the feedback. I'll definitely work to add more descriptions.

Ur most welcome ... Also do inform me when u publish the next chapter :)

Sure thing!

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451