z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

The Ice Queen Chapter 7

by DragonNoir


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Chapter 7:

I looked around my living room, in search of anything that could give me any idea of where Crystall could've gone. I was tired of being scared for him, I felt like it was just pointless for me to worry so much. But a different side of me said otherwise. A different side of me said:

He's gone. He's not coming back. He never wanted your hospitality. He was just like the rest: temporary and manipulative.

Was I going insane? Was this where love left me? Was there any point in looking for him? Was there any point for caring for?

Suddenly, Caen spoke:

"I know you are worried, but you have to become greater than that fear. Now, think: where do you think he could have gone?'

"I don't know," my voice was hoarse, I just wanted Crystall back. I just wanted everything to return to normal. But then, was there any point in wishing for that at this point? I couldn't care less, I just wanted at least one part of my life to be normal, and that part would be having Crystall by my side. I turned to face Caen.

"What was Crystall like? As a brother?" I asked.

"He was kind," Caen didn't seem to need to think about his answer. "He was caring, he deserves all the riches of the world. We'd always use to train together, running around the forest and nearby barren fields. It was dream-like. We were carefree, as if the world was not a cruel place after all."

I smiled as Caen said this, it almost made me jealous of him. He and Crystall were so close. Why couldn't I have that?

"Did you have any arguments?" I asked.

"Sometimes, but very rarely," Caen replied. "We got along well, unlike with my other three brothers. They were just interested in getting the ladies, but me and Crystall; we were all about leaving a mark on the world. About being free and living life to the fullest.”

My watering eyes came to rest on my shoe cupboard. Inside it were my ice skates.

Suddenly, it hit me.

I jumped up from the sofa and looked Caen straight in the eyes.

“There’s one place we have to check for Crystall,” I said. “But you have to borrow some of his clothes, so you look… Normal…? I’ll go get them now.”

Caen stood up, reminding me how much he towered over me, and nodded. Crystall was much taller than me, but Caen’s head was millimetres from the ceiling! Either way, I ran upstairs and gathered Crystall’s biggest clothes and put them on Caen…

Let’s just say Caen was at least 2 sizes too big for the clothes, which made me kind of smad (don’t judge my choice of vocabulary). Either way, at least he looked slightly normal. I’ll just have to make him look like a guy who likes to show off his muscles, but that wasn't even the worse case scenario.

We quickly ran to my local ice rink. My heart was racing, my mind was full of doubt and hope.

Is he really there? Did he just leave me? Does he still care? Did he ever care?

We passed through the entrance, and of course, I had to pay. Once we finally got in, I was blown away. 

On the ice, landing a perfect Double Axel, was Crystall. 

My head exploded with emotions: I was mad for him going to the ice rink without telling me and almost killing me emotionally and mentally, but I was also fangirling to the point of nearly imploding. He performed a Double Axel in front of me! Now that’s amazing! I looked at Caen to see his reaction. I held in my laughter when I saw how gobsmacked he was.

“That’s your little brother Crystallos?” I chuckled.

“No,” Caen replied, smiling proudly. “This is Crystall. My big little brother.”

Now I knew that Crystall was safe, but then reality hit me like a truck. I had to cater for another centaur. I think I understood what Caen meant when he said I’ll regret my choices, but I’m not sure this is specifically what he meant.

I noticed Nate, standing near the entrance onto the ice. He was still gassing over Crystall’s Double Axel. Not too surprising to be honest.

Great, I thought. Explanation time.

I gestured Caen to lean over; I couldn’t reach his ear even if I stood on my tiptoes. My God, I felt like such a midget.

“You see the dude over there?” I whispered into Caen’s ear. He nodded. “He’s my coach. His name is Nate. Whatever you do, just go along with what he says, leave the rest to me.” 

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Caen whispered back.

“The only time I don’t know what I’m doing is when I say I want to vote for UKIP, now follow me.”

Caen clearly had no idea of what I was on about, but he played along with it. We walked over to Nate, he welcomed us warmly with his usual smile.

“Katrina!” he exclaimed. “Did you see that Axel?! Tell me you saw it!”

“Of course I saw it!! That was amazing!” I replied, my happiness wasn’t even faked. When Crystall skated over to us, I threw myself onto the barrier and grabbed him by the shoulders.

“JUST WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!” I screamed. “CAN’T YOU HAVE THE FUCKING DECENCY TO LEAVE AT LEAST A NOTE?!”

“I left one!” Crystall’s voice broke like the British Empire (Don’t judge my comparisons). “It was in the kitchen!”

“Where in the kitchen?!”

“On the microwave!”

I eyed him suspiciously.

“Let’s say I believe you. For now.”

“And who’s this bloke over here?” Nate asked. He gestured to Caen.

“Oh,” I turned to face the two of them. “That’s Crystall’s brother, Incaendios. I like to call him Caen.”

“Well, it’s great to meet you, Zayn! My name is Nate! I’m Katrina’s coach.” Nate shook Caen’s hand firmly, but to Caen it was probably extremely weak. Either way, I could tell Caen was really annoyed at the mispronunciation of his name, though Nate seemed quite oblivious to it.

“Nice to meet you too, Nate.” Although he spoke it in a happy(?) tone, Caen’s voice was octaves deeper than Nate’s, it made me chuckle quietly.

“Crystall, we’re going,” I said. “I have to buy a few things and I need you to carry them.”

“I think Zayn over here should be strong enough, don’t you think?” Nate laughed. Why does he have to try to ruin my every attempt to try to get out of a situation?

“Nate!” I said abruptly. “I’m not going to do that to a guest! My boyfriend is a much respectable tool to use. Come on Crystall!”

Crystall hastily got off the ice and took off his skates. Once he put on his trainers, we left the rink. Before we returned home, I was forced to go on another shopping spree. I’m surprised I had any money left after the first one with Crystall. Either way, I paid over £50 for Caen’s apparel, which made me kind of die inside. 

When we finally got back, Caen and Crystall had a formal reunion. They hugged, they were happy and all. I could tell Crystall and Caen were unbelievably close by how long they hugged for. I had a scale for it: the Hug Scale. It goes from one to ten and explains how much someone cares for someone else when they hug. One means they could be better off with the other person dying (A good example of this kind of hug would be me and Ashley Chen at a Figure Skating ball), ten means they might stop respiring if they leave the other person’s embrace because they’re so attached to them (A good example of this would be a hug between me and my mother). I’ll say this: Caen’s and Crystall’s hug was off the scale by light years.

“I missed you, brother,” Crystall sobbed.

“I missed you too,” Caen was on the verge of sobbing as he replied. I quietly whimpered in the background.

“Stop it guys,” I said. “You’re making me cry.”

The two centaurs laughed in response with tears in their eyes. I wished I could always see them so happy.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. I opened the door to see Nate, a brown letter in his hand.

“Katrina,” he said. “Get ready for the Cup of China!”

Author's Note: Please don't kill me, I could've done something worse to Crystall, like have him break his neck on the ice in front of her or something. Jeez, that would've been an awesome idea... Either way, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 am
Panikos wrote a review...



Hi, Dragon. Sorry for the delay!

This chapter has a lot of strengths. There's a good amount of humour and your prose style remains solid. You get in a bit of backstory about Crystall and Caen, which I like, and you seem to be establishing a nice unit of characters too. I haven't really got any nitpicks to focus on in this review.

However, I can't lie. I was actually a bit let down by this installment. Because of the lack of nitpicks, I'm going to focus this review on plot and realism and character rather than meagre grammar problems. I'll talk you through the things that need looking at.

1) Conflict resolution. I think I've said to you before that, as a writer, you have a bad habit of maintaining the status quo too much. You introduce problems and conflicts only to resolve them very quickly, often with minimal effort. What happens in this chapter is a key example. As a reader, I was sure that Crystall's disappearance was linked to the wider question of what was happening to the centaurs, and that it was going to span into a long-term conflict that would affect every inch of Katrina's life. I was genuinely excited to find out what would happen next. However, in this chapter, you resolve everything by having her find him at the ice rink. It's a big anti-climax. It makes me wonder what the point of his disappearance was at all, beyond being a way to bring Caen into the story.

Because you've resolved it so quickly, you've squandered the potential it had. If Crystall had remained missing, and if the cause for his disappearance had been something serious, we could've seen Katrina torn between two areas of her life. I thought she might've been faced with some serious dilemmas - imagine if she'd had to miss out on training and tournaments in order to help Crystall, sacrificing her skating dreams in the process. But she doesn't have to make any sacrifices because everything comes up roses if she just waits long enough.

This doesn't work in a story. Stories need conflict, and the resolution of each conflict has to change the course of the plot, often throwing new problems into the mix. In the book Northern Lights, the protagonist solves the problem of living with a manipulative and controlling woman by running away from her. In doing that, she finds herself alone on the streets of an unfamiliar city, then almost gets kidnapped. She is rescued from the kidnappers by people she knows, and those people then take her north to meet with a king, which throws out new twists and turns in the plot. The resolution of each plot arc leads into a new one. Solving a conflict should move the story forward, not return it to the same place it was in. This is the issue that you really need to focus on.

2) Realism. This isn't really a huge issue in this chapter, all things considered. However, it isn't even remotely feasible that Crystall could land a double axel after a few days of training. It'd be like learning to do a double pike a week after starting gymnastics. It takes years to reach that standard, and to act like it doesn't undermines Katrina's ability as well as being unrealistic. If you want Crystall to show really good potential, maybe show him getting to grips with a beginners' skill far quicker than anyone would expect. No jumps. It can take years to learn even single jumps, let alone doubles.

3) The opening conversation with Caen and Katrina doesn't marry that well with the end of the previous chapter. It feels like a slightly altered repeat, not a continuation. Read the chapters in succession and see if you can tighten the transition.

That's all I'll say for this review. The only issue that needs desperate attention is the first one I mentioned. Work on that conflict. Don't be afraid to crush the status quo into the ground. That's what stories are about, after all.

Hope this helped! If anything I said is unclear, feel free to ask me about it.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




DragonNoir says...


Thank you for your feedback! I'm sorry for my mistakes, I will make sure I correct them in future chapters, although I am using Crystall's disappearance for more than just introducing Caen. I understand what I could've done there, but I do have something else in mind. Either way, I will make sure I don't make these mistakes in future. :)



Panikos says...


You don't need to apologise to me, it's fine! I'm still really looking forward to reading more.



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 am
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Yassss this is still in the Green Room! Obvs that's less good for you but when I'm only doing one a day it's nice to keep my kotgr thread nice and healthy :)

Nit-picks and nice moments:

“The only time I don’t know what I’m doing is when I say I want to vote for UKIP, now follow me.”

This is incredibly random. Completely accurate, of course. But where on earth did that come from xD

Crystall’s voice broke like the British Empire (Don’t judge my comparisons)

Also random but true. Were you watching the news while you wrote this :P Would be nice to have at least a throwaway line of explanation about why politics are on Katrina's mind today.

Well, it’s great to meet you, Zayn!

heh

(A good example of this kind of hug would be me and Ashley Chen at a Figure Skating ball)

I like how you bring this character up at an unrelated moment. It makes her feel like a real person in Katrina's life not just an antagonist in terms of the story.

Overall:

Character: The bit at the start with Katrina freaking out was a bit sudden. Maybe introduce it with something like "the longer Crystall was gone the closer I got to a full blown panic attack". It just took a moment for me to realise the direction you were going in, which threw me off for a sec.

I would like some explanation either here or next chapter why Crystall couldn't just wait to go with Katrina the next time she went skating. Even if he did leave a note (let us know whether that did turn out to be the case), he would presumably still have spent at least some time at the rink alone. And Nate was there, so he must have arranged that? What was he planning.

I'm also still a little confused by Crystall being referred to as her boyfriend. That happened really, really fast. I never really got to see them become gradually closer to that level of intimacy.

Nonetheless I continue to enjoy Katrina's humour and think that they would indeed make an adorable couple.

Setting: Not a whole lot is necessary here since it's mostly locations you've been to before. There might be a nice opportunity for when she gets to the rink just before she sees Crystall something about how the cold building matches the cold of her heart (fear, that is).

Plot: I am still super interested to know why the Centaurs have been attacked. They must have been there for ages, so why have they just now been found and flushed out? Why are they being killed at all? (Although the answer to that one probably is more relevant to UKIP). Why wouldn't they just turn to human form so they could run away, as I'm assuming Crystall did. Why wasn't Crystall trying to find his brother from the start?

As far as the interpersonal stuff though I'm enjoying Caen finding Crystall and the idea of the three of them living together is hilarious.

Flow: I think I'm thinking of the right story. Did I used to tell you that sometimes your language was too complex? If that was you, you've absolutely fixed this.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits




DragonNoir says...


Thanks for your feedback, Bisc! I'd like to remind you that Katrina is putting on an act when she says Crystall is her boyfriend. I will explain a few things you mentioned in the next chapter. And no, I don't remember saying that my language is complex. Anyways, thank you for your feedback!



ExOmelas says...


Ahhh I'd forgotten about that! That makes sense :)



User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:27 am
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there DragonNoir. It's just Lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

I haven't read any of the previous chapters but I saw this in the green room and it looked fun to try out. This set of comments is coming from the first read so they'll be a bit wonky at first. My overall thoughts on the chapter so far have been pretty positive and nothing has really tripped me up. It's a good length for keeping the reader's attention and you don't have any walls of text. (or too small of sections either) These are all good things so far and I'm going to continue with them a few paragraphs down but first some criticism since this is a critique after all.

In the first paragraph, your last two lines start out exactly the same way and are rather short which bothered me. If you had possibly distanced them more or better emphasized the second use, it would look better. I know exactly why you were using the double there but when it's read out, it doesn't blend with the expectation of meaning that you wanted. Either solution that you're looking at here involves combing those two sentences together. You could cut one of the usages or implement some italics. Both give off relatively the same effect and get you closer to what you're looking for.

A minor thing that bothered me was the colon in the middle of the italic thoughts. (Also great use of italics for thoughts and not using dialogue format.). To me, when you just have two things and you're conveying them in that way, a comma would serve better. The colon brings up formality and more seriousness, while the comma here would just ease you into the next point. This is such a minor thing but it was really bothering me for some reason.

Caen just popped up and I was like "who the heck is that?" Granted I should have read the previous chapter where this was picking up from but even so it brings up a good point in my mind. Even when you have loyal readers following through your works, this could still be a bit of a spring. Because that previous chapter was left behind and now you've set a new scene. The characters can be slightly reintroduced to this new scene and search rather than tossing some guy out and automatically have him to into philosophical thoughts. The jumps that you're making between ideas need the most work here.

The "don't judge my vocabulary" line was sort of fourth wall cracking. You have the character speaking directly to the audience of the book, which is a fun thing to do but also riskiy. And since it's not a realization of the outside world, it didn't phase me that much. I just thought it was something that I would point out to you since it doesn't fit that well with the rest. This may be the time to rework it as a thought of the character.

I skipped to the end because I saw that reallt fun line. It amused me, it caught my attention and before I had even read the chapter, it made me want to read the next. This is as good of a quality as a strong start because it triggers the continued attention of the reader. Now it's just time for me to go back and read the rest of it.

"The two centaurs" how much did I miss? "Nate" time to crack some jokes about conspiracy theories and our grand leader. Gosh I hope that centaurs is magically a term about ice skaters or now I'm going to have to go back and read the rest of this. It made me laugh really hard when I got there and also questioj everything that I have known about the characters so far. The ending is great and I will most likely be back for the next chapter(s).

That's all for now.
Good day and good luck.
~Lady Lizz




DragonNoir says...


Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad you've enjoyed it! Of course, if you have some time then I invite you warmly to read the other chapters, they're of similar length to this one. Either way, I will keep your feedback in mind for Chapter 8 and, if you wish, I could notify you when it's up. Although I'm quite tempted to explain the centaur thing, I'll leave it to you to find out ;) Once more, thank you for your feedback!




Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson