12+

The Ice Queen Chapter 3

by DragonNoir

Chapter 3:

I woke up the next morning, my annoying alarm aiding me with that. It did not, however, help my hangover. I got dressed slowly into my casual jeans and white blouse and walked downstairs to my living room, where my new roommate was sleeping on the floor. Crystall had his horse body back now, which I guessed was just an after-effect of his transformation. I headed to the kitchen quietly as Crystall snored loudly on the floor. I decided to make my special pasta dish for breakfast. Yeah, I know it’s awkward to make pasta for breakfast, but I need to show him some hospitality. As the water began boiling, I heard a loud yawn from the living room, which made me smile.

“I hope you slept well.” I called.

“Thanks…” He replied, clearly stretching as he did. “I hope you did too…”

“Thanks. I’m thought I’d give a proper welcome by making you some nice breakfast.”

“You really don’t have to…”

“Oh, yes, I do. It’s called hospitality, my friend.”

When Crystall fully woke up and turned into his human form, I served his dish. I decided that I should asked him a few questions while he stuffed his face with it. I needed to ask him because I needed to know more about him, despite knowing that interrogation isn’t a good idea. Although I was shy at first and I couldn’t find a good way to start, I decided to go with what my mind thought was right, so I began with the most obvious question:

“Why were you in your horse form this morning?”

“Well,” he replied with his mouth full of pasta and sauce. I never expected him to have table manners like us humans, but at least there wasn’t food all over the place. “I can only remain human for 24 hours, after that I have to recharge that power for twice as long. That’s why I decided to do it as soon as I came back downstairs.”

I had slight trouble with gathering the courage to say the next question:

“Would… Would you... want to stay here?” 

This one made him stop eating.

“Do you want me to go?”

“No! No, never!” I replied in panic. “Please don’t leave you look very ho- I mean, I could help you find your place in this world!”

“You would…? I don’t think I’ve ever been treated so kindly in my life... Thank you so much!” Crystall was about to lean over to hug me, but he quickly realised what he was doing and fell back into his seat, blushing.

“Do you Centaurs know a lot about humans?” I asked, out of pure curiosity this time.

“You could say so. We use your measurements and listen out to what’s happening outside our tribal territory. Although we only use your inventions to organise our lives a bit more, not to make them easier.”

“You have a point, being organised and having something easy isn’t the same.”

“Anyways, we rarely use the words ‘easy’ or ‘easily’, because Centaurs don’t take anything on unless it’s a challenge.”

“Speaking of challenges, would you like to start ice skating?” 

“Ice skating?” Crystall just finished licking his plate clean.

“Yeah! It’s a sport where you have to glide on ice in special shoes. It’s what I was doing at the performance yesterday!”

“Oh… So that’s ice skating… It looks very hard… I want to try it!”

“I knew you would! That’s why me and my skating coach are meeting in a few hours at the ice rink down my road. I decided to tell them a little bit about you…” I hesitated, “Though you probably won’t like it.”

Crystall tilted his head like a cute, confused puppy.

“What did you say to them?”

“I told them… That… You’re… My boyfriend.” I went as red as a tomato, Crystall seemed to get even more confused.

“What is a ‘boyfriend’?”

“It’s essentially a boy you’re in a relationship with.”

“Oh… Well, would you like me to be your boyfriend?” 

Yes please. I thought.

“I mean, first we should get to know each other, then we could try getting together.”

“Yeah... That sounds like a good idea.”

“Ok, for now, go get some clothes from my wardrobe. I think there might still be a few clothes left after my ex-boyfriend which I haven't burned yet.” I think I said that a bit too casually. I could tell because Crystall looked quite disturbed, but he went to get dressed anyway. Besides, I never burned the clothes here at my house. I’d take them, put them on my ex-boyfriend’s doorstep and then set them on fire.

When Crystall returned, he wore a black long-sleeved shirt, along with some navy jeans and a pair of black Nike trainers. All of them looked tight on him, and you could still see his muscles because of that.

“I don't think these fit me.” Crystall chuckled.

“Don't worry,” I said. “We'll go buy you some more clothes before we go skating. I’ll also teach you about the ‘Human Code of Conduct’, you’ll have a lot to take in.”

“No worries, I adapt to situations easily.”

***

Later that day, we arrived at the ice rink. I bought Crystall some new black ice skates from a nearby shop, as well as a few jumpers, jeans, trousers, coats, trainers and t-shirts. I don’t think I ever blew that much money in one day, but, Jesus Christ, was it worth the pain of seeing my £20 notes taken away from me by the cashier. We returned to my house, where Crystall got dressed into a black and white jumper, some jeans and a pair of black trainers. This time, you could only faintly see his muscles. We grabbed our skates and departed for the rink to meet with Nate. I was worried that Crystall would mess up and say or do something that’s wrong, but then I realised his secret probably won’t be a secret for long. I looked around the rink, but Nate was nowhere to be found. So I decided to take things slowly:

“How about we do some stretches?” I said to him. “You essentially do different poses which stretch specific muscles.”

“Hmm,” Crystall replied. “Let’s go!”

We did some stretches for about five minutes before getting out onto the ice. I still remember that day so vividly.

Crystall slowly made his first step onto the ice from the floor. He stumbled as he stepped up, both of us giggled. He clutched onto the barrier around the rink, slowly making his way around and getting his balance. Then, Crystall decided to skate a bit more towards the centre, but still close to the barrier. I saw he was struggling quite a bit to hold his balance and was about to offer my hand when he took me out as he fell himself. We both hit our butts on the ice and giggled. When we stood up again, I timidly offered him my hand. He grasped it calmly and gently. We began skating together, slowly at first and gradually getting faster. The longer we skated for, the more Crystall got into it. Soon, he was confidently skating around the entire rink by himself. I felt like a proud parent, I was about to burst into tears. Crystall was so happy and I was happy too. It was almost perfect. The reason I say ‘almost’ is because my coach showed up just as Crystall began getting the hang of skating. We skated over to him and I was forced to introduce Crystall to him.

“I’m sorry for being so late, I was held up by traffic,” Nate apologised. “But I see you wasn’t bored in the meantime.”

“Nate, this is my boyfriend… Crystall.” I introduced him, saying Crystall’s name sounded so awkward.

“Crystall? That’s quite a peculiar name. Where are you from?” Nate asked.

“Oh, he’s from Iceland!” I threw in before Crystall could say anything. “He comes from a very sophisticated Icelandic family. His name is short for Crystallos. His full name is Crystallos… Jespersson.” I kind of knew the basis for all Icelandic surnames, but I wasn’t an expert, as you can tell. It took me about a minute to figure out a surname for Crystall whilst we were skating.

“Oh… Well, it’s very nice to meet you, Crystall. I’m Nate Rivers, Katrina’s skating coach. Katrina told me a bit about you yesterday-”

“Anyways…!” I cut in. “I think you recall what you said last night?”

“Yes I remember. With which jump do you want to start with?”

“I’m ready for the triple Axel.”

“Ok, go ahead and try.”

I smiled at Crystall as I skated out into the open ice, away from the perimeter. I gradually built up speed and gathered all my strength. Then, I leaped up into the air in the same hugging motion as usual. I managed to spin three and a half times and barely made it alive for the landing. Well, I stumbled slightly, nothing more serious. An Axel requires an extra half rotation because of the forward entrance. I returned to Nate, who shook his head.

“Not perfectly enough, young lady. If you don’t get this next attempt right, you can forget about the triple Axel.” he said.

“I’ll prove to you that I can do this!” I called as I went for another shot. I went faster this time, and leaped up further than last time. I spun three times successfully and landed perfectly. I smiled smugly at Nate and Crystall, who applauded my flawless jump.

“Two more!” Nate called. I sighed and rolled my eyes, but went for it again. The next two jumps were also a success, which convinced Nate to change my double Axel into a triple. Now I’ll be guaranteed to beat the Free Program record!

“Do you still want to try the quad Toe Loop?” Nate asked.

“You know… Now that I think about it, the Axel was pretty hard…” I thought aloud. “Yeah, let’s stay with the triple.”

“As you wish.”

“When is the performance?” Crystall asked.

“It’s tomorrow.” I replied. “I’ll get you a pass which will allow you to get where the Kiss and Cry is.”

Nate cleared his throat, I rolled my eyes in response. “Ok then, Nate will get you a pass to the Kiss and Cry.”

“The Kiss and Cry?” Crystall raised an eyebrow.

“The area where the coach waits for the skater. It got that name because skaters usually do one of those two things after a performance.”

“Oh…”

“Hey, Crystall, how are you with skating?” Nate asked.

“Well…” Crystall replied. “I only started today… Katrina said she’ll teach me and maybe she’ll get me into competitions…”

“To be honest, you do look very sporty. Maybe you should give skating a try.”

“I certainly will, sir. I’m always looking for a challenge!” Crystall seemed very enthusiastic, which made me like him even more.

After we did some more run-throughs of my Free Program, I managed to incorporate the triple Axel pretty well. I was hoping that I’d win the Grand Prix this season, but that was merely a wish. What happens is up to the One high above.

Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Also, no worries, the Free Program will not be another song from Yuri!!! On Ice. Eros was just a one-off to be fair. I'll probably end up writing some more Que Sera Sera soon. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I look forward to any feedback you might have! :)

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Dragon. Back again to review.

I liked the calmness of this chapter. It's nice to see the characters interacting and having a bit of breathing room, and I enjoyed discovering more of Crystall and Katrina's personalities. It's also good to know that the skating is still going to be a key part of the plot despite the fantasy elements.

I'm going to focus on more general issues later in the review and start with a few specific comments. Here we go.

I woke up the next morning, my annoying alarm aiding me with that.

BiscuitsLeGuin pointed out that 'aiding' was a strange choice, which I agree with, but I also think the structure of the sentence is a bit weird. It makes it seem like she was already waking up and that her alarm just helped her on her way, when what really happened (I assume) was that the alarm just...woke her up. It would be a lot simpler to say something like 'My annoying alarm woke me' or 'I woke to the blaring of my annoying alarm'.

“I hope you slept well.” I called.

Still punctuation errors. These are littered throughout. It should be:

“I hope you slept well,” I called.

“Thanks…” he replied, clearly stretching as he did. “I hope you did too…”

I also think the use of ellipsis is a bit peculiar in Crystall's dialogue; they don't really add anything. But that's your call.

“Please don’t leave you look very ho- I mean, I could help you find your place in this world!”

I agree with MJTucker that this dialogue is way too on the nose. Nobody blurts things like that in real life, and even if she did say that she'd have caught herself way earlier. It does sort of feel like you're labouring the point about his physical attractiveness, as well.

Besides, I never burned the clothes here at my house. I’d take them, put them on my ex-boyfriend’s doorstep and then set them on fire.

This made me laugh - it characterises her very well. Not that I approve of burning clothes on ex-boyfriends' doorsteps, of course!

All of them looked tight on him, and you could still see his muscles because of that.

This time, you could only faintly see his muscles.

Remember what I said about labouring the point? Spectacular as they may be, it's somewhat monotonous to have her so fixated on his muscles all the time. You're grounding the basis of her affection for him in his appearance, too, which feels a bit cheap; I'm not saying physical attractiveness isn't a big part of how people are drawn to each other, but I want to feel like the relationship is growing from a good dynamic rather than just from his blinding hotness. I'd root for them much more if you presented Crystall more as a real person than a flawlessly cute model boy.

Considering pro skaters frequently fail to land tricky jumps, it seems strange that Nate would be so absolute about the inclusion of it after a single attempt. If all skaters were prohibited from including jumps they sometimes wobbled or fell on, they'd never do triples at all, and certainly not quads. And it's not like she even did badly on it - she just stumbled. In competition, she'd still get the element counted and it's not like she'd be deducted for a fall, so the payoff would be worth it even with imperfect execution. I find it hard to believe that Nate would tell her that she couldn't put it in the routine based on that - especially given that it's one of the hardest jumps for female skaters.

If you want to give the impression that Nate is a hard taskmaster, you could have him telling her that she needs to land it better than that before he's satisfied with it, or something along those lines. But him telling her she can't put it in if she doesn't land it perfectly on the second go just seems ludicrously counter-productive.

Again, you say the Axel is hard, but she seemed to pull it off pretty easily. Realistically, I'd expect her to need more time to perfect it than four attempts, and I'd expect her to fall many times too. Only seven women throughout history have landed the triple axel successfully in international competitions; we need to feel how difficult it is.

Hang on a sec, competitions? Isn't that a bit premature? Ice skating isn't something you can learn overnight; it takes years of training to reach competition level, even if the competitions are small. I can see that Nate might want to encourage him, but it seems strange he wouldn't allude to how much time and dedication (and money!) it would take to reach that level.

Overall Points

1) Crystall and Katrina's relationship. I agree with BiscuitsLeGuin. It seems like we're being informed of how much she likes Crystall without really being shown it. There isn't much banter between them, so I can't really feel the chemistry, and if I can't feel the chemistry I can't root for them. I think you need to rely less on Katrina's inner thoughts to communicate their relationship. Perhaps try to picture the events of a romantic scene from an outsider perspective at first, asking yourself 'if I was a fly on the wall, would I be able to tell that these two people liked one another?' If the answer is no, you need another approach.

Also, the advice I give to every romance writer is to portray them as friends, first and foremost. All good relationships are grounded in friendship, so don't overlook it.

2) Crystall's emotional state. Previous reviewers have mention the strangeness of him deciding to learn to ice skate barely any time after his tribe was killed, and I have to echo it. When you take into account his sudden breakdown in the previous chapter, I can't understand why he wouldn't be even slightly trauma-laden in this one. You said that he wouldn't be interested in finding out about the rest of his tribe because they've all been killed, but that makes me even more confused as to why he isn't more of a wreck. It sounds like he's been through a real ordeal.

Maybe you could have Katrina taking him to the rink in order to distract him, but you must make the after-affects of whatever he's been through more present. Emotional baggage is a pain to write, but it can't only exist when it's convenient.

3) Slightly expanding on the previous point, but Katrina also seems weirdly at ease with the whole thing. If a centaur showed up at my house, I don't think I'd be suggesting a casual ice-skating session the next morning - I'd still be freaking the hell out about a) having a stranger in my home and b) that stranger having damn horse legs. Even if Katrina is the adaptable sort that takes bizarre stuff in her stride, there's still a limit to how casual she'd be, and it's hard to believe that skating would be the first thing on her mind in this sort of situation.

I'll call the review there. Always a pleasure to read more from you, and I'm glad to hear that more Que Sera Sera will be coming soon. I'll be looking out for all new chapters, regardless of where they come from.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there Dragon! MJ here as promised for a quick review :)

First off, I was a little confused why Katrina thought that making a pasta dish for breakfast would be showing hospitality. I understand why a good, warm, and slightly more complicated dish for breakfast would be hospitable, but why pasta? As you mentioned, it seems a little weird, but pasta was an interesting choice, especially since it is notoriously messy and Katrina expected Crystall's manners to be a little different.

Secondly-

I don't think it's the best to have Katrina burst out her feelings here, even if she catches herself. Maybe if she just thinks it and then has something like " 'Please don't leave! I could. . .help you find your place in the world,' And you're too hot to pass up ." To me that doesn't rush their relationship in that way as quickly as it is when she says it out loud, and then it can seem less hurried and hasty so it has the full effect that romance should have.

To echo Biscuits, the ice skating move seemed really rushed. It would be a little smoother if she mentioned that she would be gone for a while with ice skating practice and wondered what he would do during that time, and then one of them could shyly suggest that Crystall learned himself. The way it's thrown in seems pretty awkward and honestly seems just like you (the author) threw it in there because there wasn't a better transition available and you needed to connect those plot points.

Overall, I liked the progression of Crystall's and Katrina's relationships. Crystall's character (cool, charming, considerate, cute, and intelligent) complements Katrina's character (eager, passionate, focused, driven, motivated) very well, and the reader can see that even more as Crystall develops. I also liked how Nate is influencing their relationships, and Crystall's superhuman side gives it an interesting twist. I really hope you continue with this series, but I am willing to keep reading Que Sera Sera since that was also a superbly done novel :). If you ever have any questions, you know where to find me.

Best wishes,
MJ

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hi Dragon,

Nit-picks first:

my annoying alarm aiding me with that.

"aiding" seems like an odd choice if she's annoyed about that.

but I need to show him some hospitality

"need" should be "needed"

I never expected him to have table manners like us humans, but at least there wasn’t food all over the place.

I thought last night he demonstrated extreme courtesy?

Character: I'm still unsure about the relationship between Katrina and Crystall. I didn't really feel like there was that much ... flirting, I guess... between them. It sort of seems like Katrina is telling me that she really likes Crystall before I'm able to see that for myself. This makes it quite hard to root for them as a couple because it feels so sudden.

To be fair I am understanding Crystall as a person better. At first I thought he was quite creepy, but now I see that he just doesn't understand human ways and boundaries. That does through up some questions about the Centaur community.

I was also pleased by the development of the relationship between Katrina and Nate.

Setting: It might be nice to have something about the place where she practices and how at home she (presumably) feels there.

Plot: I'm a bit confused about why her immediate reaction is to bring Crystallos skating. First of all, what if he accidentally turns back into his Centaur form while skating? But also it just seems like the more urgent thing on his mind would be trying to find any more of his people who might have also escaped.

Flow: Sometimes the words you use don't quite feel like they fit. They're sort of like, very explanatory, but also very formal. Like, when you say things like "the reason for this" rather than "since". PM me here or discord if you'd like more explanation about that cos I'm not sure I'm being that clear there.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

DragonNoir says...

Thank you for your feedback, Bisc! Just to point out, table manners and courtesy aren't the same thing. You can be courteous, but that doesn't mean you know how to eat properly. The relationship between Katrina and Crystall will be expanded on as the story goes on, so don't despair over it. As for Crystall searching for his people... Just because they made it out of the forest, doesn't necessarily mean they're still alive... I'll try making my vocab a bit more simple next time. Once more, thanks for your feedback! :)

ExOmelas says...

Np :)

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson