The Ice Queen Chapter 6

by DragonNoir

Chapter 6:

I woke up the next morning; the muscles in my legs were more dead than Michael Jackson. At least it was Saturday and I wasn’t in rush to anywhere, which meant I could lie around for as long as I liked. That was until I got a mini-heart attack.

Crystall. Food. Food for Crystall.

Although it was a real struggle to get out of bed, I managed it and got into a pair of tights, a blouse with a flower pattern and a denim skirt. I battled my cramps as I slowly made it down the stairs. To my surprise, Crystall was not lying on the floor in the living room. I looked around the entire house, even in the toilets, but he was nowhere to be found. He didn’t even leave a note, and that was what got me proper stressed out. I tried to calm myself down, but that was like trying to baptise a cat (Believe me, I tried it before. And don’t judge me based on what I do in my spare time). I attempted to beat my stress with eating a few slices of bread with ham and tomatoes, but even that didn’t help; mostly because I kept on thinking about what could’ve happened to him. Soon, I said to myself,

I have to find him.

***

I searched my entire street, even the neighbouring roads, but there wasn’t a sign of him. So then, I decided to go to a more specific location: the local park. Although I’d only been there with Crystall for a run, I predicted he might’ve gone there, unless he was kidnapped or something (which I hoped he was not). It was about seven in the morning, so I doubted anyone would be there. As I entered the park, my prediction seemed to be fortunately correct; I only saw one or two runners there. The park was pretty big, which meant I could end up spending the entire day there. 

I decided to start in a woodland part of the park, which was where I saw him. I smiled and began running towards what I thought was Crystall in his centaur form. But the closer I came to the centaur, the more my smile was fading away. I soon realised this wasn’t Crystall. He looked similar to him, but it wasn’t him. He had Crystall’s black hair, but the structure of his face was different, his eyes were a crimson red and he looked much stronger than Crystall.

“Do…” I began, but I could not contain the fear of a new centaur standing before me. “Do you know who Crystallos is?”

The centaur looked me up and down suspiciously.

“How do you know him?” he replied in a very deep voice.

“W- we’re friends, my name is Katrina. Katrina Stirling.”

“I do not care for your name, frankly. I care for my younger brother, though. Where is he?”

I began sweating and my heartbeat quickened rapidly.

“I wish I knew the answer myself; he disappeared from my house this morning.”

The centaur was clearly not happy with my response. His face twisted in rage.

“What do you mean, ‘he disappeared’?! Where is my brother?!” 

I knew I wasn’t going to get anywhere by being a shy little girl, so I decided to allow my bitch-mode to take control. I straightened my back and looked him dead in the eyes.

“If I knew where he was, I wouldn’t been looking for him here, now would I? So, instead of trying to act all big, maybe you could fucking lend me a hand here and help me look for him?”

The centaur seemed impressed; he smiled at me. ‘Bout time I was noticed for how fabulous my bitch-mode is.

“Allow me to introduce myself then. I am Incaendios, Crystallos’ older brother.”

“Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, Big Brother went out to find his little brother. How inspiring.”

Incaendios’ smile faded.

“Save the sarcastic comments. How did you and Crystallos even meet?”

My face twisted a bit while I tried to figure out what to say to him.

“It’s complicated,” this response didn’t seem to please him, so I quickly added in a brighter tone: “But I promise I’ll tell you everything, with the slightest details! First, shall we go to my house? I’ll make you some food if you wish!” 

Incaendios looked like he was confused and suspicious at the same time. He seemed to have as much more brains than Crystall when it comes to a human inviting them into their house.

“What’s with the kindness? First you’re scared, the next you’re feisty, now you’re kind?” he asked.

“Well, I just don’t want to be your enemy,” I replied. “For two main reasons: one, you look very strong and you could kill me very easily and two, we both care for Crystallos, so we should join forces to find him.”

“Then let us join forces and find him.”

I looked up at Incaendios and held back tears. His friendly smile resembled Crystall’s so much. I know what you’re thinking:

Duh, of course: they’re brothers.

But it wasn’t as basic. Their smiles looked almost identical, it made me cry to see how much he resembled his brother physically and emotionally.

***

“Wait, so you’re telling me you just let a centaur under your roof?” Incaendios asked after I finished telling him about mine and Crystall’s first meeting. He was now in his human form, and boy, he was so much buffer than Crystall. Well, he did tell me that he was almost 10 years older than Crystall; Incaendios was 29 years-old.

“Look, I was drunk,” I laughed. “I didn’t particularly know the consequences of my actions, but I think I can accept those consequences now.”

“I’m almost sure you’ll change your mind soon enough.”

There was one question which I had to ask, but was it a good idea to ask it?

“I need to ask you something. It’s about your and Crystall’s family.”

“I suspected that you would ask about them,” Incaendios seemed calm, yet he was slightly shaking. “Either way, I won’t keep the information secret from you. They were… They were…” Incaendios tried with all his might, but he couldn’t seem to get himself to say it. Every time he tried, a tear or two would come falling down onto his cheek. I decided to help him a bit:

“They were murdered?”

“Yes, that. It happened because of some stupid humans… I would rip them to shreds if I got the chance.”

“Did anyone else apart from you and Crystall survive?”

Incaendios thought through his answer carefully.

“No. I don’t think so. Though I’d like to think someone else did, my father for example. He was stronger than all the humans in England put together.”I wasn’t too surprised; he and his family were centaurs after all. I decided to go completely off-topic.

“Just out of interest, can give you a nickname?”

Incaendios tilted his head like a confused puppy.

“A what?”

“A nickname! It’s like a shortened version of your real name. I made one for Crystallos: Crystall!”

“Hmm… It seems fun. What would my nickname be?”

I thought for a bit, I knew it would be a good idea to stray away from the depressing subject of Incaendios’ family’s tragedy. Suddenly, I smiled as I was enlightened with the perfect nickname:

“Caen! InCAENdios!”

Incaendios laughed.

“Yes, that seems like a good one.”

“Of course it is! I made it after all!”

We laughed together, I was blessed to have someone like him around. But then, bitter reality hit me and I suddenly stopped laughing. Caen gradually stopped as he began to notice my serious expression.

“Do you know where Crystall could’ve gone?” I asked.

“I have absolutely no idea, sadly. I hope he is fine.” he replied. The way he said the first sentence was as if he blamed himself for it.

“So do I. Can you sniff him out or something?”

“If I could, I would’ve already done that, but there is too many new scents here in the city, so that renders it almost impossible.”

“Keyword: almost. We have to try if we want to find him.”

Caen nodded and smiled.

“You’re really determined, aren’t you?” he asked.

“Of course I am; he’s my friend!” I replied. As I said this, a troubling thought slowly invaded my mind:

Crystall, what happened?

Author's Note: Just in case you're curious, Incaendios' name is pronounced In-sen-dee-oh-s and his nickname is pronounced 'sen'. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I might post a second chapter by the end of this week, but that is kind of unlikely. Either way, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Dragon!

This is definitely the best chapter yet in my opinion. We're finally seeing the plot shift towards Crystall, which I'm glad of, and the fact that it's wrapped up in his disappearance makes it all the more interesting. Caen is well-handled; you capture his strangeness and distance from human customs quite subtly, which is always nice to see. The pacing is better. You don't overwhelm the reader at any point. In short, some awesome stuff happening in this chapter. I can tell you've been taking your reveiwers' advice on board.

I'll move onto specific comments. I'll probably get reeeally nitpicky seeing as this chapter is a lot better. That's just the way it goes.

the muscles in my legs were more dead than Michael Jackson

I felt bad for snickering at this. It was just so unexpected!

He didn’t even leave a note, and that was what got me proper stressed out.

The wording here is a tad clunky. Something like 'he didn't even leave a note, which was what stressed me out the most' would flow better.

Sidenote: contrary to Shota, I like the use of 'proper' as an intensifier because it's such a regional marker; it gives us a sense of Katrina's dialect.

I tried to calm myself down, but that was like trying to baptise a cat (Believe me, I tried it before. And don’t judge me based on what I do in my spare time)

'Believe' shouldn't have a capital letter here, but I loved this image. I can only imagine! My cat goes savage if you even try to put a collar on her.

“Do…” I began, but I could not contain the fear of a new centaur standing before me

Rather than saying she couldn't contain her fear, try and show it. Do the words stick in her throat? Is her chest tight? Her stomach hollow? Can she feel her pulse pounding in her neck?

He had Crystall’s black hair, but the structure of his face was different

How was it different? Be more specific. Does he have higher cheekbones? A squarer jaw? You don't need to go nuts, but highlighting one or two precise features will help us picture him better.

I like this bit of dialogue, but I think the added 'though' interferes with both the solemness and the rhythm of it, if you get what I mean. If it was:

"I do not care for your name, frankly. I care for my younger brother. Where is he?"

It just reads a bit more smoothly in my opinion. There's more power behind it, somehow.

I began sweating and my heartbeat quickened rapidly

There's nothing particularly wrong with this line, but it's quite a bland way of expressing it. 'I began sweating' could be something like a bead of sweat slipped down my face or my shirt stuck to my back. Try to root your descriptions more in the sensation of what is happening rather than just noting that it has occurred.

I wish I knew the answer myself; he disappeared from my house this morning.”

Maybe a little too formal? You could change it to 'I don't know', or maybe just clip it down to 'I wish I knew'. Given how scared she's supposed to be, it's weird that she's speaking so eloquently.

I think you overdo this. I know she's realised that acting scared will get her nowhere, but switching to swearing in the face of a horse man who could easily trample her to death just feels like too much of a leap. If she just snapped "If I knew where he was, I wouldn't be here looking for him, would I?" that would capture the change in tone well enough. The next line pushes it too far; the swearing in particular feels gratuitous. Plus, it's not like Caen has been that rude or accusatory towards her, so seems sort of unwarranted for her to talk to him like that.

This is also out of place. Beyond being sassy or bitchy, it's just freaking mean - if I was Caen I'd have probably kicked her! He's perfectly civil when he introduces himself, yet her response is to swear at him and make a scathing, sarcastic remark about his search for Crystall. Considering how worried he probably is about his brother, it seems way too harsh, and I don't buy for a second that he would give her the time of day if she spoke to him like that.

Basically, try not to write sassy dialogue for the sake of it. It only works if it fits with the conversation. If it doesn't, it just comes off as needlessly rude and unpleasant.

He seemed to have as much more brains than Crystall when it comes to a human inviting them into their house.

Bit of a grammar trainwreck here! It's also kind of convoluted. Maybe try:

He seemed much brainier than Crystall when it came to being invited home by random humans

Or something like that? Your call. Tinker about with the line a bit.

Duh, of course: they’re brothers.

I found this a bit odd. For one, I wasn't thinking 'duh, of course: they're brothers', because brothers don't necessarily have similar smiles. Plus, you linger so long on the point of them resembling each other that it almost reads like you're...I don't know, hinting at something. Like you're hinting that Caen is actually Crystall in disguise - that's where my brain went when I first read it. I'm assuming that's not the case, so I'm just a bit confused as to why you focus so much on their smiles being similar. I feel like you could cut the whole quote out, to be honest, but of course that's up to you.

What does he mean by this?

“I suspected that you would ask about them,” Incaendios seemed calm, yet he was slightly shaking.

I'm glad you're showing his unease rather than telling us about it, but shaking seems like it's too extreme. In my experience, I've never seen someone suddenly flip from not shaking to shaking when they have to recall something really unpleasant. A subtler way to show his discomfort would be to mention that, say, he's not making eye contact, or he's balling one fist or fiddling with something - a small tick that isn't necessarily overtly to do with fear. Because if he's calm and stoic, his unease probably manifests in a way that's much more low-key than trembling.

As I said this, a troubling thought slowly invaded my mind:

Crystall, what happened?

I agree with Biscuits that this doesn't work as a cliffhanger because she's been wondering that for the whole chapter. It would have to be a new thought dawning on her for it to have any weight.

1) I'd still like to see you integrate more description into your writing. Not just description of things, but of events and actions too. At the moment, your chapters are mostly comprised of dialogue, which makes them feel quite script-like. Granted, it's better to be too dialogue-heavy than too prose-heavy, but you should still strive for a balance between the two. You dedicate one sentence to Katrina searching the woodland part of the park when you could spend a paragraph on it. If you paused to describe her weaving through the trees, you could talk also about the way the light falls between the leaves, or perhaps the earthy, rainy smell in the air, or even how she steps into a thicket of nettles and swears so loudly that she sends roosting birds shrieking out of the trees. Just give us details. Slow down a bit. It feels like you're always impatient to get to the next conversation.

2) I'm confused as to why Caen was in centaur form when Katrina met him. If he's searching a public park would he not use a human disguise in case someone saw him? I know its early in the day, but it still seems like a massive risk.

And I think that's actually all I have to say for this review. I enjoyed this chapter - it's definitely the best yet. You're getting better and better all the time. Can't wait for the next installment!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Shota wrote a review...

Yay! Good job! I enjoyed your story. Below are my critiques, thoughts, and opinions. Of course your story is your own, so feel free to agree or not agree with whatever I have said. And if you have questions please let me know!

At least it was Saturday and I wasn’t in rush to anywhere

Think you meant “in a rush to BE anywhere”

and that was what got me proper stressed out.

For me personally the use of the word proper here sounds a bit odd. I think it almost sounds better without that word at all.

I tried to calm myself down, but that was like trying to [/b]baptise a cat

Spelled Baptize, and funny picture for sure, made me chuckle, because baptizing a cat would be my greatest nightmare.

I attempted to beat my stress with eating a few slices of bread with ham and tomatoes, but even that didn’t help; mostly because I kept on thinking about what could’ve happened to him

As this is chapter six I am very aware I may be missing some simple nuances about the characters you have developed. Therefore take whatever I say with a grain of salt and apply it to the story as a whole, since you obviously will know it better then me.

That being said this seems like an odd way for someone to calm down. Unless you have already established food is a stress reliever for this character. If you have awesome, if not I would elaborate a little more perhaps.

As I entered the park, my prediction seemed to be fortunately correct; I only saw one or two runners there.

This confused me because you said earlier that you “predicted” Crystall would be there and that you “doubted” anyone would be in the park. When you say your prediction came true I assumed you had seen Crystall right away, but instead you were referring to how empty the park was. Maybe clarify this with switching up your word choices and not using “prediction” since that refers more to you finding the cat.

he looked much stronger than Crystall.

This is interesting to me, and I would love more description. I am assuming you have described how Crystall himself looks in this form in the past, and it would be a great place to draw some comparison and give us some descriptions about this new character we are encountering. What makes him look stronger? Is his hide rippling with muscle, is he a span taller than Crystal, does the ground churn underneath his hoofs? You could really give more detail and paint a picture for who he is while highlighting the differences in a natural way.

This was a fast jump for me! Especially because Katrina doesn’t even seem surprised that this is his brother! I want a little more reaction, and I want more clarity on who the Centaur’s brother is. He simply states he wants to know who is brother is without pointing to the fact it is Crystall.

I enjoyed her pride for how great her bitch more is, that made me chuckle. But I was also a little confused at why this impressed the Centaur. Does Katrina know that Centaur’s are impressed by boldness, that they enjoy up front communication? Giving us a description into why she chose to do this could allow us to understand these creatures a little better, and help us find out why she wasn’t afraid of getting her face stomped on, because I was a little afraid for her lol.

“It’s complicated,” this response didn’t seem to please him, so I quickly added in a brighter tone

Since she is being so straightforward it surprises me that she even cares how he feels about her response? More insight I think would help the flow.

He seemed to have [b]as much more brains than Crystall when it comes to a human inviting them into their house.

Thinking you should take out as so it flows better.

He is literally saying what I am thinking, which is good because you are setting me up for some information that will help me understand what is going on.

I feel like you could give a stronger answer then this. I mean is she REALLY scared of being killed by him? She unleashed her bitch mode so she couldn’t have been that worried. I feel like she is just trying to placate the guy, but I would love to know more of her inner thoughts. Also she seems to be VERY trusting of some random dude who is claiming to be her friends brother, is she not concerned at all that he is lying? I understand they look alike, but as the reader, I feel suspicious lol.

Great paragraph. Lots of emotion that was very will dictated, and I could feel his anxiety and pain, his struggle to stay calm while wrestling with so many emotions.

Cute description, and with this action I want him to have a nickname!

DragonNoir says...

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to YWS! If you need any help in the future, I'm (almost) always here! Yeah, btw, in the UK, we spell words like "Baptize" with an 's' not a 'z'. Anyway, I'll make sure I improve for future chapters! If you want, I can tag you when a new chapter is up to notify you and I also invite you to read the other chapters in this series! Once more, thank you for youe amazing feedback! :)

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Heyyy Dragon!

Nit-picks and nice moments:

I wasn’t in a rush to get(?) anywhere

(Believe me, I tried it before. And don’t judge me based on what I do in my spare time).

Hehehe, I enjoy this humour.

Wait there's just a centaur standing around? I know there's barely anyone there but it seems unlikely that the centaur would have counted on that.

England put together.”I wasn’t too surprised

Missed space.

I hope he is fine.” he replied

full stop should be a comma

Crystall, what happened?

This seems like the kind of thing she would have been thinking about the whole time, and therefore doesn't really work as a cliffhanger.

Character: The first difference I noticed in Katrina this chapter was that I found her a lot funnier than usual. I think I've noticed you doing this before but it's more been like I've registered it as humour rather than actually laughing. I think you absolutely nailed the humour here.

Caen seems cool, and I'm glad he brought it up how weird it is that she just allowed Crystall in. Since Katrina isn't drunk this time though, maybe she should be more wary about just going up to this centaur. Crystall really hasn't wanted to talk about his family, maybe she'd be wondering if there was a reason.

Setting: I'm worried the park being empty just feels a little bit to easy. Like, that whole scene wouldn't have worked if there had been people there to stare at the centaur. Maybe give a reason as to why the park is empty on this particular day.

Plot: Nooooo Crystall! Pls find Crystall soon, Katrina. I'm very worried about him :(

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan