The Ice Queen Chapter 4

by DragonNoir

Chapter 4:

I was getting ready for my performance in the waiting room, with Nate and Crystall cheering me on. The outfit I wore for this program was a dress in many shades of blue, representing water. There were also light blue plastic gems stuck around the collar of the dress. I had no intention of messing this up, I had to win. I waited to be entered into the Grand Prix Competition for a very long time and I wasn’t going to disregard this chance I was given.

I was having my short warm-up when Queen Bitch decided to make herself present. Queen Bitch is my nickname for Ashley Chen of the United States. I hated her since we met at the Rostelecom Cup this year, let’s just say she’s the bitch to end all bitches. Moving on, she decided to curse us with her presence, though she wasn’t alone. Next to her was my latest ex-boyfriend, Jonathan Williams. Ashley still wore her performance outfit, which was simply the US flag as a sparkly dress.

“Good luck, Katrina. Hope you break a leg,” Ashley said, as she gave me a dirty look. God, how I wanted to slap her there and then. By the way, is it me, or does the American accent make things sound really stupid?

“Thanks, Ashley. I’ll break a leg; your one,” I replied. “Oh, Jonathan, I see you lowered your standards to hoes now?”

“At least she’s not you, you crazy bitch,” Jonathan replied.

“Anyways, how are you going to date her? She’s from the USA.”

“I’m moving to the USA,” Jonathan turned to Ashley and complained to her about me burning his clothes. For fuck’s sake, he deserved it! If he didn’t like it, then he shouldn’t have been dating me in the first place! I warned him I was insane!

“Nate, you should send her to some mental asylum,” Ashley said. “Do you understand what she did to my boyfriend?”

“I understand what she did,” Nate replied. “And I also understand why she did it.”

“I see you’re as thick as each other,” Ashley then decided to notice Crystall. “And who’s this schmuck?”

“My boyfriend,” I replied. “A much better one than my last.”

“I’d say the complete opposite from what I can see.”

I stood up and walked up to her face. 

“Listen here, you fucking wankstain,” I growled. “Unless you would like to see your dad, Satan, I suggest you keep your trashy mouth closed before your ass gets jealous of how much shit comes out of it.”

“Ooh, Katrina’s getting angry!” Ashley chuckled. Jonathan also laughed.

“You’re like a little kitten when you’re mad!” he added.

“Shut it, you fucking pussy,” I was very close to ripping their guts out with my skates. “Your dick is what I put down as a word for ‘disappointment’ in a crossword. Now scram, both of you, unless you like hospital food!”

Ashley and Jonathan decided to take my advice and left, although Ashley did roll her eyes at me. However, I responded with a very kind gesture of my middle finger and a passive-aggressive smile. When they were finally out of my sight, I sighed loudly and sat down.

“Who was that?” Crystall asked.

“My worst enemy and my ex-boyfriend.” I replied calmly. “Ashley Chen and Jonathan Williams respectively.”

There was a short silence after that.

“I’m sure you’ll do well in your program! It’s amazing in my opinion!” Crystall said optimistically.

“I have no choice. I have to do well; well enough to beat a combined score of 234.82,” as I said this, a security guard came into the room.

“Miss Stirling, it’s your time to go now,” he said. I nodded in return as Crystall, Nate and I stood up.

Before I stepped onto the ice, I heard Crystall yelling:

“Show them what you can do!”

It made me smile to know I have such caring people behind my back.

I skated into my position in the centre of the rink, waiting for the music.

Soundtrack: Bel Suono - Megapolis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-MWqxKgbNk

I started my program with my Spiral Sequence, it was a signature thing for me to do that. My first Spiral was the Charlotte Spiral. I lifted my left leg into the air so that it was almost completely vertical, whilst leaning my body downwards so that my nose almost touched my boot. All of that while skating forwards. I did this for a few seconds, before returning to my normal position and doing the Ina Bauer again. Skating a little further, I moved on to the next element: Hydroblading. I got low so that I was almost touching the ice with my body and placed my hands on the actual ice. I began to rotate around my hands. After doing so a few times, I got up smoothly and proceeded to do my Cantilever. It was essentially a hardcore backbend and I ended up nearly murdering my back in practise because of this move. I kept my arms and lower legs in normal position, while the rest of my body bent parallel to the ice. After a few seconds, I lifted myself up and spun around, preparing for the impending Hell.

As the loud piano bit neared, I leaped up into a Triple Lutz, which was closely followed by a Triple Flip, taking off from my right inside edge and landing on my right outside edge. But it didn’t end there. I quickly lurched again into a Triple Toe Loop. This wasn’t the one I was going to change to a quad. If I did, I’d end up probably smashing my head onto the ice before I’d spin even three times. Anyways, I leaped from my right outside edge and landed onto the same edge after spinning three times in the air.

After getting proper gassed over that successful combination, I proceeded to skate emotionally before yet another jump: my second Triple Lutz. It was possible for me to do it twice if one jump was part of a combination and the other was a separate jump. Before the verse came in, I quickly performed the Lutz, just in time with the music.

I then started my Circular Step Sequence. Circular meant that I needed to make loop shapes in the ice. I still, of course, struggle to remember what exact steps and turns I did, but I knew it was enough to get me a good score. It had quite good variety and a very nice flow; it was guaranteed to give me a good deal of points. It lasted for a good part of the verse before I moved on to my next element.

Before the music’s volume decreased, I leaped into a Triple Flip, landing it perfectly. My next element was a spin combination, which lasted for most of the quiet part of the song. I entered an almost crouching position for the Sit spin with my left leg sticking out in front of me and spun for 8 rotations, before I jumped up to switch the foot I was spinning on. After another 4 rotations, I stood up and moved into the Camel spin position. When I did another 5 rotations, I stopped spinning and that was when the wave effect came on in the music.

I then decided to boost my Presentation Score a bit by cruising around the rink emotionally. I do it a lot in my programs, and it usually helps my score. I used my upper body to give off emotions of almost sadness and grace. After the effect faded out, I went into my Layback spin. This one was no different from the other ones I did and almost broke my spine. I spun for about 8 rotations before leaving the spin just when another loud part of the song came in.

That part signalised one thing: my Triple Axel. I swiftly leaped into the air with the same hugging motion as always and spun three times in the air. But, I almost knocked myself off-balance when landing. I cursed quietly, but kept my cool and carried on with my routine. After the Axel came more emotional skating, although I did find it kind of boring. I wish I could find something to do instead of this boring stuff. I separated this almost aimless skating with a Triple Toe Loop, which I performed when the first high note was hit. This was the Toe Loop I planned to change to a quad. After some more emotional skating (I am not sorry if I’m boring you to death with this), while the high parts of the piano were playing, I successfully performed a Triple Loop, followed by a Biellmann spin for 10 rotations. This was essentially the Biellmann spiral, but as a spin. I performed my last jump - a Triple Salchow - just in time to finish with the music in a dramatic position.

I was given a huge round of applause as I left the rink, ready to accept my score. But was I ready? Nate and I sat together by the panel, ready for the score to come on. I was more than anxious about this; it could’ve determine my reputation and how I will talk to Ashley; if I won, I would have put her down for losing to me. If I lost, I’d avoid her at all cost. Not that I’m scared of her, I’m scared I’ll send her back home to Hell too early. Getting back on track, we finally got the scores:

“Technical Score: 103.35

Presentation Score: 48.25

Total: 151.6

Combined Score: 234.83”

Although I got a high enough score to be in second place, I broke into tears, unable to hold in my great disappointment. Nate quickly hugged me and Crystall rushed over to comfort me too, but their attempts were fruitless; nothing could fix the mistake I made.

I was a whole point away from first place.

Author's Note: Hello! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll probably be uploading Que Sera Sera and Ice Queen in turn, though I'm pretty close to 'finishing' Que Sera Sera. Enough about that, thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you enjoyed it!

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey Dragon, don't know if you saw what I said in discord, but I'm pretty sleepy, so I apologise if this is a bit typo-ridden.

Nit-picks first:

I wasn’t going to disregard this chance I was given.

"disregard" sounds a bit formal here.

By the way, is it me, or does the American accent make things sound really stupid?

Heh. Also that's probably fairly offensive but I guess that makes sense as her reaction. Maybe have an "ahem" or similar sentiment after it or something.

I see you’re as thick as each other

I'm not sure americans use the word "thick" to mean stupid. Would be worth asking one.

I used my upper body to give off emotions of almost sadness and grace.

That's a bit tell-y. Show me how she does this and it will be more immersive.

Character: You introduce the two new characters fairly well, but I think you should have at least mentioned them at one point before now. It was a bit sudden, so it took me a wee bit to focus on it. I'll be interested to find out more of the history there, and I hope there's quite a lot of interesting stuff to find out.

Setting: There isn't very much setting here at all. Again, this is not something that bothers me very much, but Storm for one is getting infuriated at my tennis novel for it not having enough setting. Keep an eye out for that.

Plot: I like the way that it's only a point but she's devastated. You've shown me an aspect of her character through the plot and that works well. The introduction of Ashley and Jonathan doesn't seem to have added anything at the moment but I could see it becoming more instrumental.

Flow: Okay, so, the infodumps. The bit where she acknowledges it was enjoyable, but I think you'd have to only have a paragraph of it, with that line at the end. I have no idea what any of this means, and it's really hard to keep focus longer than a paragraph. There are interesting details interspersed, but when I'm just bombarded with jargon it gets really hard to feel immersed.

Hope this helps,
A very sleepy Biscuits :)

DragonNoir says...

Thanks for your feedback! I understand this chapter is a bit sloppy, I'll make sure I improve in the future! Once more, thank you for your feedback!

ExOmelas says...

No problem :)

Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Dragon! Back again for another review.

Okie-dokie! Overall impressions. This is definitely a good chapter for getting to know Katrina, though I definitely don't feel like she's being characterised as a particularly nice person. This isn't a bad thing, of course - it certainly sets up opportunities for character development and offers an alternative to what we normally see in fiction. I hope it's a conscious choice on your part, though!

One issue with this is that, in the conversation (catfight) with Ashley, I didn't find myself thinking 'YOOO DRAG HER' the way I might if she was a character I really liked. I just thought they were both pretty bitchy. Katrina especially! Part of this issue may come from the fact that Ashley has just been introduced and we know nothing about the history between the two of them, so we just have to take Katrina's word for how awful she is.

The argument is a bit on the cliché side, too. I can't really buy that Ashley would just walk up to Katrina and start bitching at her without any buildup. She comes across as very two-dimensional, which isn't good even for an antagonistic character. It feels like she's more an object of hate than a person.

It seems to me that Crystall might be a bit more unnerved by the argument. Spats like that are very awkward to witness, so it might be good to show a bit of discomfort on his part.

In the performance section, I think your writing is much too clinical. You describe the performance as a sequence of moves - there's nothing about the feeling of it, nothing sensory or emotional, so it reads like a very removed third-person description. I do find it quite intriguing that Katrina feels so little about skating; it's like she's only interested in the technical elements and the scores. She doesn't seem to care about the art of it. That's potentially a very interesting part of her character, so I hope you explore that in more detail.

I have notably less to critique this time, though. Far less nitpicks. I'd only encourage you to remain aware of realism and keeping your characters tangible - writers should know much more about their characters than what they put on the page. Spend some time thinking about their traits and lives outside of the story so you get to know them better. As well as that, focus on really grounding yourself in Katrina's perspective and thinking about senses rather than just clinical description.

I'll leave it there: sorry if this review is a bit distracted, but the exit polls for the UK General Election came in halfway through I was writing it and my attention has been somewhat divided! I hope this is still helpful. Let me know when you post the next chapter!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

DragonNoir says...

Thanks for your feedback! The part about the performance being less about the emotions and more technical was kind of intentional(?). I'll make sure I make my characters are more realistic. Once more, thanks for your feedback!

Panikos says...

It being intentional is okay, but you have to be careful because it still feels quite monotonous to read. And I still think describing the physical sensation of it at the very least would be necessary.

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates