z

Young Writers Society



The Unplanned Funeral

by Dracula


Christa had just veered off the main street and was now walking along the nature trail; a muddy dirt track which weaved between old stone cottages and massive pine trees, every now and then meeting the river.

She loved the walk, it calmed her mind after a stressful day at work and the birds always greeted her with their tunes. But today, there was silence. Something was off; not even the trees were swaying, and there wasn’t a bird call to be heard.

Christa spun slowly, looking in all directions for signs of wildlife… or any life, for that matter. The cottages all had curtains drawn and doors shut, as if their inhabitants had also sensed the sinister feeling in the air.

Her eye caught movement a little further down the dirt path, and what Christa saw devastated her: Laying on the earth were the corpses of two baby birds. They looked days old, with no feathers and dark skin that clung tight to their fragile forms.

There was no smell, they hadn’t been there long, but still a line of ants were busily harvesting the two infants. Christa instinctively brushed away at the creatures, trying to save the birds from being damaged any further.

She scooped the birds up in her palms, the prospect of germs or disease not bothering her. The park was in mourning, and the peaceful walking trail she enjoyed so much wouldn’t return to its normal splendour unless the victims received a proper burial.

Christa found the perfect spot outside one of the cottages; there was a clump of pink and yellow flowers from which you could see the flowing river. The birds would like to be buried there, she thought.

Having placed the corpses carefully on a piece of bark, she knelt on the ground and began digging a hole. Her fingernails were painfully filled with dirt by the time she finished the tomb, but it would all be worth it if the bird song, cool breeze and whistling trees returned to the nature trail.

Christa wondered if she should say something to the unfortunate creatures before she buried them amongst the flowers. Before she could decide on the best funeral speech, Christa heard a creak and saw movement in the corner of her eye; the cottage door was opening.

An elderly woman emerged from the building, clutching a wicker bowl in her arms. The bowl resembled a bird’s nest, and as the old lady shuffled closer and closer, Christa could see that it was being used as such.

There was a blanket bundled up inside, within which two small birds were sitting. They looked exactly like the two corpses she was about to bury, except these chicks were very much alive; their heads perked in all directions, the curiosity of new life.

Christa greeted the newcomer, and the elderly woman began telling her story. Only a day ago, she’d heard pecking at her cottage door, and had opened it to find two baby birds looking up at her. She’d taken them inside, assuming the pair had been abandoned by their mother, and fed them with a dropper. The lady had been about to take them to a wildlife shelter, but only minutes ago, after opening her curtains, she’d spotted Christa with the corpses. The elderly woman was certain that the birds were siblings.

Christa offered to let the woman help with the burial, and she did so gladly, depositing the wicker bowl on the ground. The pair conducted the perfect burial. The poor, lifeless birds were gently covered with dirt, Christa’s hole the perfect depth for them to rest comfortably. The old lady picked some flowers and weaved a beautiful wreath to place over the makeshift grave. And, to end the service, they sang a hymn, mimicking the birds’ tunes.

But the life and joy hadn’t yet returned to the sombre nature trail. The two living chicks jumped out of the wicker bowl onto the smooth dirt, moving amongst the flowers. Chirping, they settled on top of the grave, as if they knew that their siblings were beneath them. A wave of peace settled over the park, and only then did life return.

The trees started waving in a fresh breeze. Wildlife scampered through the foliage, rustling leaves and calling to each other. The river’s flow picked up, water trickling over the rocks. And, to Christa’s delight, the birds began singing, their melodic tunes filling her ears.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:30 am
Megrim wrote a review...



Onward we go! And I bet after the last few, you're expecting me to say how not a story this is, but in fact, I think it fulfills my criteria. The character has to make a "choice" when she encounters the baby birds. She also experiences some growth and change, because she meets the elderly lady. There are very small stakes and the "tension" could be brought out more, but there are tiny wisps of it. Where, for example, the movies and the duck race seem like you'd need to go back to the drawing board in order to bend them around to fit what I'll call my "story criteria"; on the other hand, this one I think just needs fleshing out and tweaking but fundamentally makes a charming story.

I think part of the issue is you have a lot of fluff cluttering up the narrative. Past perfect tense always rings alarm bells for me. My rule of thumb is that you really shouldn't be in past perfect tense for the first two or three chapters in a novel, and either not at all in a shortstory/flash or only for a sentence or two at a time. Also, there's a fair amount of, how should I call it, inessential words? Redundancy? Meandering narrative?

I'll hone in on some specific examples and then leave it to you to extrapolate, because I think that will be easier.

Christa had just veered off the main street and was now walking along the nature trail; a muddy dirt track which weaved between old stone cottages and massive pine trees, every now and then meeting the river.

She loved the walk, it calmed her mind after a stressful day at work and the birds always greeted her with their tunes. But today, there was silence. Something was off; not even the trees were swaying, and there wasn’t a bird call to be heard.

Christa spun slowly, looking in all directions for signs of wildlife… or any life, for that matter. The cottages all had curtains drawn and doors shut, as if their inhabitants had also sensed the sinister feeling in the air.

Her eye caught movement a little further down the dirt path, and what Christa saw devastated her: Laying on the earth were the corpses of two baby birds. They looked days old, with no feathers and dark skin that clung tight to their fragile forms.


If I were writing this, I would do all this in one or maybe two paragraphs. I also just realized I was probably getting at "show vs tell"--there's a lot of telling where you could be showing. For example, that second paragraph is very telly. Then, as I was talking about redundancy, that third paragraph doesn't ADD a lot.

Not that you should write it this way, but here's my quickie re-write so you can get a sense what I'm talking about:

Christa balanced along the edge of the familiar muddy track of the nature trail. She inhaled the quiet, crisp air of early spring and let go of her thoughts, gaze wandering lazily over the old stone cottages and tall pines. The gurgle of the river was the only sound.

She paused. The forest was silent. Even the trees stood stark and still. A cloud passed over the sun, and the shadows deepened in the gray haze of the forest.

Movement caught her eye. She tiptoed further down the dirt path, and her heart dropped. Laying on the earth were the corpses of two baby birds. They looked days old, with no feathers, and dark skin that clung to their fragile forms.


Okay, I ended up doing three paragraphs actually, because I felt it was appropriate to put a break before the pause and before the movement for dramatic reasons. I guess my version isn't a whole ton shorter than yours (though it *is* shorter). I think the bigger difference is the showing rather than telling. I also tried to engage a few more senses. But for instance, instead of saying that what she saw devastated her, I had her heart drop, which is more visceral and personal. Instead of saying the forest soothed her mind, I tried to describe it in a relaxed and soothing way.

The same principle could be applied to the elderly woman and the scene with her as well.




User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:05 am
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Dracula! Casanova here with another review!

Now, what I really, really loved about this short story is that there isn't any dialogue. I'm a fan of some dialogue, but you really did the best you could do with this one. I love the story being told with things besides dialogue, and this one really captures that. So a thousand times props!

Okay, so the character description. There isn't much of it, and that bothered me. You're giving us everything without dialogue, and that's good. But You're strictly giving actions. I don't know anything about your main character in any sense, and that really doesn't bode well with me, I know that she's sympathetic because she buries the birds when she finds them. But one thing- I know how hard it is to try and dig holes. To dig one to bury the birds would take a while, if she would be able to do this. It doesn't seem like any time at as passes between her starting and ending, though.

The next thing I would like to say is about the plot. There really isn't much of one to this. It begins, and ends, with the nature walk which seemed to be a tad bit boring, at least to me. You talk about thee birds, you talk about wildlife(somewhat) but there really isn't much here.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say about this one. On to the next. Hope this helped!

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron.




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:01 am
Mea wrote a review...



Back again! I really like the concept of this one, a short, quiet piece with lots of nature elements and a reflective tone. I just appreciate how Christa noticed the birds and felt like she should bury them, and how when she did that the world was right again. It's such a small moment, but it's touching.

My biggest critique is that the concept is there, but in some ways this feels a lot more like a summary of a story than the actual, fully-fledged thing. The most glaring place is when you summarize their conversation instead of actually having the conversation. My guess is you already know you should have and you were trying to get it done. :P But yeah, flesh out, make the lady her own character.

Also, more emotion would be great. I feel like there's a layer between the narration and Christa, and it really diminishes the impact of the birds and the way the world is righted when she buries them. So I guess it's your tone that needs some work? Try to inject more emotional verbs, and maybe less passive voice. Take us inside Christa's head more. It would be even better if she started out with some problem relating to the outside world (even if it's just that she's extremely stressed/anxious) and this somehow calmed her or even gave a thematically appropriate solution to her problem. Basically, strengthen theme and tone by connecting both to character.

I hope that makes sense. Your theme is good in your descriptions of the world around Christa, but we're missing the emotional connection that only comes with characterization.

I think that's all I've got! Hopefully that made sense - if it didn't, just ask and I'll try to explain myself better. Onwards and upwards!




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:18 pm
JustinTheAuthor wrote a review...



Nice job. I noticed you said this wasn't your best piece of work but this was dang good. I love the description you used for the corpses on the side of the road with only a trail of ants foraging for the remains of the birds. I also loved how everyone seemed to know about the birds and were trapping themselves in their houses or they might feel guilted into burying the birds. If I was you writing this story, I would have added a little background information about the setting and on the corpses of the birds and how the elderly woman ended up with having the other two birds in her possession. You could also probably add a description to the reader so we can have a better understanding as to what a wicker bowl is because I didn't even understand it even after reading this a couple of times and I still don't understand what a wicker bowl is. One more thing that I have to mention that I like is how you made the forest seem like it knew that these birds had died. It was great personification and I hope to read more of your work. Thanks for the great story I was given the opportunity to read.





Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato