z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

The Siren's Song

by Dracula


The captain thought his dazzling new ship was invincible as it sailed across the North Atlantic. He was sure of it. He might have been right, too, had the vessel not been named the Titanic. But alas, we all know how the story ends.

The Captain stood in the control room, hands on the helm. He looked through the wide window, admiring the rays of sunlight against the sapphire-blue sky. At the bottom of his vision, adults sun-baked on the deck and children threw colourful balls to each other. The scent of a Sunday roast penetrated the walls. He heard a cry of delight and saw a woman pointing at a blur of red and green in the water, a school of fish passing by. All was perfect. His passengers were thrilled. Word of the Titanic would spread and he’d be a rich man.

If only that were true.

The school of fish jerked to the right, making a ninety degree turn as if they’d hit a force-field. Yet the ship streamlined through the water. The captain began whistling, enjoying the calm sea and mid-day sun. His mind drifted away to thoughts of lunch, of tender lamb and gravy, of crispy potatoes and carrots...

He didn’t notice the island until it was too late to turn back. And the captain didn’t want to turn back.

He gripped onto the helm with anticipation, tilting forwards on his toes for a better look. It wasn’t like the rocky barrier one would normally see, this island was lime-green, its grass shining golden in the sun. There were flowers scattered on its surface, dots of red and pink and blue. He could almost smell their alluring scent. A single oak tree sat in the middle of the island, its roots reaching out to sea.

The captain didn’t care about the beauty of the island, though. It was the figures which sat on the tree roots which enthralled him: sirens. Female, with flowing hair and bare chests. Instead of legs they boasted fishtails, their scales sparkling like diamonds.

As the Titanic was steered closer, they swayed their hips and moved their lips, conducting a sweet melody which drove the captain mad with lust.

The magical tune skipped across the water’s ripples, entering the ears of every man aboard the Titanic. They flocked to the front deck, pushing each other aside to get a better view of the beautiful singers. Even the captain abandoned the control room and joined the crowd below. Those at the front leant over the edge, reaching for the women. Some were pushed overboard as others fought for their spot, but they didn’t scream, the men just listened to the music as they entered watery graves.

As the first man hit the water, sending a spray of ocean salt on his bewitched companions, one of the fish-tailed women jumped from the root she was sprawled on. Her long, gold hair trailed behind her as she dived into the ocean, swimming straight for his drowning form. The man, already turning blue, stretched his arms up to her as he sunk deeper. The siren’s pearly hands interlaced with his and their lips met in a blissful kiss. She didn’t stop, and opened her jaws further to reveal a row of knife-sharp canines. Within a second the man’s face turned into a blur of shredded skin and blood, and the carnivorous woman discarded him like rubbish, off to find her next victim.

Meanwhile, the Titanic, left to its own devices, veered ever closer to the island. In only minutes it would crash onto the grassy shore and become tangled amongst the oak roots and flowers.

The woman and children knew something was wrong. Their husbands, fathers and brothers had all left them mid-conversation, mid-game and mid-luncheon to venture to the front of the ship. But the more pressing problem was the island. Beautiful as it was, the woman knew it would be their doom should the ship continue in its course.

The alluring song was silent to them, all the women could hear was their own shouts of desperation. The sirens themselves were invisible. All they could see was the island with its poison-green grass and the oak with its roots reaching threateningly towards the vessel.

At the time of this chaotic event, little Verity was below deck with her parents. Only six years old, she sat on the carpet, scribbling in a complimentary colouring book whilst her mother and father finished their lunch.

“I wonder if you’d accompany me to the Captain’s ball tonight, Alexandra?” Her father asked.

“I’d be delighted.” Her mother giggled, cheeks rosy. Verity loved it when her parents spoke like that, as if they were the only two people in the world and nothing could draw their attention away from each other.

“What time will you be ready?”

“Eight o’clock, I suppose.”

Verity stopped colouring and watched as her father raised his eyebrows. “Eight in the evening?”

“I have to make myself beautiful, dear.” The woman held her fork half-way to her mouth and stared at Verity’s father, expecting him to say something.

Verity had listened in on their conversations often enough to know he was meant to reply, but you’re already beautiful! Yet he remained silent.

“Richard?” Her mother put her fork down.

“Daddy?” He was staring through the ceiling, completely unaware of their voices. “Daddy?” His daughter’s words meant nothing to him, all he could hear was the enchanting tune of the sirens. Their music stirred a desire within, his heart pounded, his feet started tapping against the floor. He couldn’t stay still, he wanted to follow the music.

When the man started foaming at the mouth, pieces of potato dribbling down his chin, Alexandra dropped her fork and ran to his side. “Richard!” She gripped her husband’s shoulders. “Are you alright? Should I ring the doctor?”

Verity’s eyes widened and she jumped up from the carpet. She ran to the wall-phone, intending to dial the number her mother had drilled into her: the doctor on Main Street. Of course that number was useless aboard the Titanic, in the middle of the ocean. But even if it had connected her to the ship’s medical room, no one would have answered. The doctor had already fallen overboard and been ripped to shreds by the carnivorous women.

Richard sprang from his chair, pushing his wife to the ground. He let out a beastly roar, a sound of lustful longing which rumbled from the bottom of his throat. Then he crashed through the cabin door and disappeared from sight.

“Mummy!” Verity clutched onto the mother, trying to pull her from the ground. The little girl, just six years old, was so confused, so scared.

“I’m alright.” The woman pulled Verity into a hug, hiding the tears which trickled down her cheeks.

The ship jerked and Verity’s mother tightened her grip. The two females heard a creaking sound, then a loud crash as the vessel tipped off balance and they were sent sliding across the floor into the table.

Verity felt a seasickness bubbling in the tummy, and covered her ears as screams echoed down the hall. Her mother gripped onto the table edge and pulled herself up, the ship rocking as if they’d sailed into a storm. “What’s happening?” The little girl asked as she too climbed to her feet.

Alexandra’s mouth opened, but she couldn’t hear what was said because the ship’s alarms burst to life, pounding in her young ears. The air turned cold, the lights flickered. She saw her mother’s teary eyes and knew something was dreadfully wrong.

The ship rocked violently again and Verity wrapped her arms around her mother’s waist to keep from falling over. She felt something wet lick her ankles and the scent of the Sunday roast was replaced by that of salt and seaweed.

“We’ve got to get out!” Her mother shouted over the alarm, pulling Verity towards the door.

The hallway had turned into a miniature river, sea water trickling down the walls and forming puddles on the floor. There were other women and children outside, sloshing through the water, holding their hands to steady them as they headed for the stairs. Verity and her mother joined the crowd.

The lights went out and the passengers collectively held their breaths. The only thing visible was the flickering exit sign.

Alexandra felt desperate hands latch onto her, and she followed suit, placing one hand on her daughter. The other she reached out in front of her, gripping onto a stranger’s blouse.

Working together, the women and children pushed through the darkness to the stairs, trying to ignore the blaring alarm and creaking of the ship, trying not to freeze with shock as the water rose to their knees.

On the deck, a boy was tugging at his father’s shirt. “We’ve got to go, daddy! We’ve got to go!” He was one of the many companions and family members who were desperately trying to pull their men from the sirens’ trance.

“Lester!” He heard his mother’s shout amongst the cacophony of screams, but didn’t answer. He wouldn’t leave his father aboard the sinking ship. And it was sinking fast.

The Titanic had rammed into the blossoming island, a cloud of flower petals and grass cuttings raining down on the deck upon impact. Lester had gripped onto a rail as it had happened, and watched as a large portion of the men fell overboard onto the magical pasture. The ship’s alarm had started then, making his ears ache, and his mother had run for the lifeboats. His father wasn’t at all startled by the collision, though. He’d picked himself off the floor and raced back to the edge, reaching towards a great oak tree.

“Please, daddy!” Lester tugged at the man’s shirt, thinking that if he let go, his father would surely jump overboard.

The little boy jumped in fright when the face of a devil peered up from the edge of the floorboards. His hands instinctively let go of the material and flew to shield his eyes from the nightmare. It skin was green, not like the magical fields but green like an evil witch. Its eyes burned red, and instead of hair it wore a wig of kelp. Just before his hands had blocked his vision, Lester had seen a set of shark teeth, sharp enough to rip a man in two.

A horrible realisation came to the boy, and he lowered his hands. Luckily the demonic creature was gone… but so was his father.

He heard a loud screech and the shadow of the tree moved across the deck as the Titanic sunk further. He wobbled as the ship began tipping on its side, and would have fallen had two arms not wrapped around his waist, lifting him up.

“Verity, quickly!” Alexandra called to her daughter as hauled the little boy through the chaos. Water was spraying into her face, kicked up by the pounding feet of hundreds of desperate passengers, all trying to get to crowd in the lifeboats.

Verity ran in front, trying to push her way through. She didn’t know what was happening. Her ear drums felt about the burst; the alarm kept wailing and people kept screaming. Her feet were throbbing; they’d been trodden on countless times. Her skin was cold, and the sea water had already risen to the deck and was clawing at her shins.

She didn’t know where her father was. Lots of other children were looking for their fathers too, but there was only a small group of men towards the front of the vessel. They frightened Verity, foam trickled down their chins and their eyes raged with desire.

The Titanic had crashed into an island that wasn’t meant to be there, and she couldn’t understand why there were flowers and an oak tree in the middle of the ocean. When the legs and waists moved out of her way, Verity could see red patches on the grass and in the water, she could see some men swimming in the sea. It didn’t make any sense. She wanted to get away, and she knew the boats were the only way.

Alexandra dropped the struggling boy over the the railing into the last boat. He was caught by a young blonde-haired women, crammed amidst at least twenty other women and children.

“I’ve got to find my daddy!” His hands clawed at the air, but the woman held him firmly to her bosom.

“Don’t you dare leave me, Lester!” she howled. “Your papa already did that!”

There were inumerous numbers of passengers still climbing onto the deck, but the nineteen out of twenty lifeboats had already dropped into the ocean, filled over their intended capacity. They bobbed a little lower in the water than they should have, and threatened to sink as hands grabbed onto their sides, using the boats to stay afloat.

Alexandra could see so many bodies in the water, most of them flailing, screaming for help, holding onto various pieces of furniture. Some bodies were soulless and filled with water, others were the corpses were men. A shiver ran down her spine as she saw how they were ripped to shreds, the water around them a halo of red.

Alexandra wouldn’t let her daughter become one of those bodies. That one lifeboat, dangling from the ship, was their last chance. She pushed Verity’s shaking form towards the edge. “Now you!”

The little girl looked below, there was at least a three metre drop to safety. She wrapped her arms around her mother, trying to absorb her bravery.

A large woman catapulted over the deck, almost pulling Verity with her. The passengers in the lifeboat shouted curses as she toppled towards them, narrowly missing the craft and splashing into the sea.

“We can’t take anymore!” Someone yelled.

“Lower it down!” Shrieked another.

A mechanical sound filled Alexandra’s ears, the dire turning of gears blocking out the blaring alarm, desperate screams, and creaking of the dying ship. She thrust Verity over the edge, her grip on her daughter’s arm all that was keeping her from falling overboard.

“Don’t leave without us! My daughter!” She screamed, her tears mixing with the seaspray.

An older woman cupped her hands to her mouth as she replied. “There just ain’t room! You’ll sinkez all!”

“Here!” The young blonde one, Lester’s mother, raised her arms. “I’ll catch her!” The old woman waved a hand in defeat, and the other mothers aboard the lifeboat formed a net for Verity.

“Mummy?” The little girl looked into Alexandra’s watery eyes. She was pulled into ardent embrace, feeling her mother’s warmth enveloping her as the cold water soaked her clothes. She held tight on her mother’s blouse, refusing to let go.

“Verity.” Alexandra pressed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead, and pulled the girl away. The sheer strength of her fists around the girl’s wrists left a white imprint on Verity’s skin, a scar of their parting that would never heal. “You have to live. I love you so, so much.”

“I love you too, mummy!” She tried to grab the woman’s arms to pull them back around her, but Alexandra was unfastening a chain from her neck.

“Never forget me.” She passed the locket under her daughter’s hair, pressing the clasp into place.

The cranking of the gears halted to a stop, the lifeboat was lowered.

“Hurry!” The blonde woman shouted. Any second now the vessel would begin floating away.

“I love you.” Alexandra pushed her whole world over the railing, and watched with the deepest grief and strongest relief as her daughter landed safely in the lifeboat. A splash of saltwater sprayed her face as Verity made impact, and Alexandra was knocked to her knees as the Titanic rolled on its side.

The ocean loomed closer, and Alexandra saw a sea of murder. Blood, guts, petrified faces frozen at the point of death. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw Richard floating amongst a cluster of bodies. He was as pale as the iceberg they’d sailed past earlier and he was missing an arm.

She crawled across the wooden boards, voluntarily fell into the water, and swam towards him. She reached out, gripping onto her husband’s torn shoulder.

“She’s safe,” Alexandra whispered, and wrapped her arms round him, replacing his missing limb.

With a final creak, the Titanic met its doom. The vast ship scraped against the impossible island, its grass no longer green but a sickening red. The roots of the oak tree brushed against the metal sides of the ship as it settled to the bottom of the ocean, the truth of its final moments dying with it.

Alexandra met death peacefully with the knowledge that Verity would live. She floated with her love, the two of them connected as one. The orange hues of sunset heralded her final breath, and the waters embraced her.

When the lifeboat finally ended its journey across the North Atlantic Ocean, Verity told all who would listen about the Titanic’s last minutes of life. She described the impossible island with its green grass, colourful flowers and great oak tree. She told them about the possessed men, the way her father foamed at the mouth and pushed her mother. She treasured the locket, making sure everyone knew of Alexandra’s heroism.

No one doubted her mother’s love, but they refused to accept the remainder of her story. They said such islands could not exist, that men would never become so irrational. They said the shock and stress and had damaged the mind. They believed her story was all a fantasy, written by Verity’s imagination.

And, after receiving treatment for her fantasies, that’s what Verity believed too.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 2856
Reviews: 41

Donate
Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:31 am
SteppeVesteffi wrote a review...



Hello,

First of all: Your avatar makes me happy. Secondly, this is fantastic.

You get high marks on pretty much everything I look for in a story. The imagery: great. The concept: great. The pacing was mostly great, though things maybe felt a tad rushed once everything started to go haywire—but I get that in trying to properly convey the chaos and frenzy of the ship sinking, it's easy for the pacing to slip into rushed territory, so I'll give you a pass in that regard. (And you did indeed convey the chaos and frenzy quite convincingly.)

I get where Mea was coming from in regards to the characters, but I personally kind of enjoyed that you flitted around and focused on a couple of different people. Since there were so many passengers onboard, I feel like that was a good way to show, through snippets, just how many stories were unfolding at once. I would've loved to see this same idea told through a full-length novel, so you could've further explored multiple perspectives and families dealing with these events.

I really did love how this was written. The descriptions were lovely, and you perfectly captured the requisite suspense. I was at the edge of my seat reading it. The ending was heartbreaking, and the last sentence was tragic and perfect. I've read stories about the Titanic and seen plenty of movies and shows about it—who hasn't?—but I don't think I've ever seen a version with sirens. I'm so glad you decided to change that. Sirens are one of my very favorite things, and using them as the cause of the Titanic's demise was a stroke of genius.

If I were to be critical, I would say that I agreed with Mea's point about the emotion these men experienced. I would've loved it if you could've described, in detail, what was happening to them, what they were feeling (though I suppose that might've removed some of the mystique). I also wish you could've added more about the Titanic, pre-sinking. I hate to say it, but since the story focused so little on the ship itself, it really could've been any old ship. If you hadn't expressly stated this was the Titanic, I don't think most people would've figured it out, so I really would've liked to have seen something that made it clear which ship this was happening to. Even just more descriptions of the ship itself would've been nice. The Titanic's so interesting to write about—so over the top and luxurious, yet also rigidly divided and classist. There were many things you could've touched on with this piece that would've tapped into the ship's singularity and individualism. Of course, I realize this is a short story, and that would've been a challenge to accomplish under the circumstances... which is just one more reason you should turn this into a novel. (Pretty please??)

I was also left with so, so many questions:

*Why do only men see the sirens? If it has to do with attraction (as it would seem, judging by the 'lust' comments and all), are gay men excluded from siren-seeing? What about lesbian women? Or does it have nothing to do with sexual attraction and is only gender-related? In that case, what about trans people?

*So I can buy that no one would've believed Verity, but what about the other people on the lifeboats? This is probably the biggest plot hole of the whole piece: WHY WOULD NO ONE ELSE CORROBORATE HER STORY?? Unless you're suggesting that Verity was somehow the only one who survived.

(It's possible I'm overthinking it, I know.)

Anyway, onto some nitpicks:

At the bottom of his vision, adults sun-baked on the deck and children threw colourful balls to each other.

"At the bottom of his vision" just sounds so odd. And "sun-baked" is making me want to take out a red pen and write "sunbathed" over it like an angry English teacher.

His mind drifted away to thoughts of lunch, of tender lamb and gravy, of crispy potatoes and carrots...

I'd remove the third, bolded "of," so it reads:
"His mind drifted away to thoughts of lunch, of tender lamb and gravy, crispy potatoes and carrots..."
Sounds much smoother without it.

tilting forwards on his toes

Remove that S.

It wasn’t like the rocky barrier one would normally see, this island was lime-green

Improper comma.

It was the figures which sat on the tree roots

"It was the figures [/i]that[/i] sat on the tree roots."

stretched his arms up to her as he sunk deeper.

Should be "sank."

Within a second

"Within seconds" just sounds so much nicer.

The alluring song was silent to them, all the women could hear was their own shouts of desperation.

Improper comma.

“I wonder if you’d accompany me to the Captain’s ball tonight, Alexandra?” Her father asked.

The H in "her" should be lowercase here. If a pronoun that follows dialogue is connected to that dialogue (e.g., "he said/she said/they asked"), then it should begin with a lowercase letter—always. You make this mistake a few times.

Verity had listened in on their conversations often enough to know he was meant to reply, but you’re already beautiful!

I'd put "but you're already beautiful" in quotes or italics.

Their music stirred a desire within, his heart pounded

Incorrect comma.

The two females heard a creaking sound

I just hate it when someone refers to girls/women as "females," or men/boys as "males." It's so... weird and impersonal. I always get this image of a socially-inept mad scientist rubbing his hands together as he watches some women from afar, saying, "Yes, yes! A nice group of females."
So! I think the better way to put this would be "the mother and daughter," or "the both of them," or something like that. It'd fit better. (Unless this whole piece was intended to be written from the perspective of a socially-inept mad scientist.)

Verity felt a seasickness bubbling in the tummy

"The" tummy?

The air turned cold, the lights flickered.

Improper comma.

“We’ve got to go, daddy! We’ve got to go!”

The D in "daddy" should be capitalized here. This is the rule: if mum/dad/nana/auntie/etc is preceded by, say, a possessive pronoun (e.g., "my dad"), the first letter is lowercase; if, however, you're referring to a character as mum/dad/nana/auntie/etc, in place of their actual name (e.g., "'We've got to go, Daddy!'"), the first letter should be capitalized. You make this mistake a couple of times.

Lester had gripped onto a rail as it had happened

This sounds so clunky.

It skin was green

I believe you mean, "its skin was green."

Alexandra called to her daughter as hauled the little boy through the chaos.

I believe you mean, "as she hauled."

all trying to get to crowd in the lifeboats.

Again, this sounds so clunky. Maybe try, "All desperate to crowd in the lifeboats."

Her ear drums felt about the burst

I think you mean "to burst" rather than "the burst." Also, "eardrums" is one word.

They frightened Verity, foam trickled down their chins and their eyes raged with desire.

Incorrect comma.

There were inumerous numbers of passengers

The bolded word is misspelled, and "numberous numbers" sounds odd.

others were the corpses were men.

What?

The little girl looked below, there was at least a three metre drop to safety.

Incorrect comma.

The cranking of the gears halted to a stop, the lifeboat was lowered.

Again, improper comma.

He was as pale as the iceberg they’d sailed past earlier

Nice touch.

They said the shock and stress and had damaged the mind.

You've got a wayward "and" there.

Overall, this was an immensely entertaining, awesome read. I said it before and I'll say it again: The concept is fantastic. I really do think you should make it into a novel. (No pressure or anything...)

Well done!




Dracula says...


Thanks for the detailed review! I look forward to going through it.



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:37 pm
Mea wrote a review...



All right, let's dive into this. :) Apologies in advance if I don't finish this as soon as you thought I might - I want to give this a fairly thorough treatment and I'm running short on time for tonight.

My biggest question to you is this: who is your story about? This story stands at only 3000 words - that's not a lot of time to tell a compelling story, especially one with several different characters.

As a reader, that's what I didn't like - it felt like the story kept changing its main character, switching from the captain to Verity to Lester to Alexandra and finally back to Verity with nary a scene break in between since it's third omniscient.

Keeping the camera (so to speak) on just one or two characters would help this feel a lot more focused. I'd keep the opening part with the captain because that does a good job of setting the scene and is good to show what it's like for the men who are attracted by the sirens. But then I'd not follow Lester at all, and choose either Verity or Alexandra to lead your story. I know you're writing in omniscient, but even omniscient tends to most closely follow one or two characters. (I feel like Jane Austen's work is a good example of this - the main character is clearly defined for each book.)

So it depends: which story do you want to tell? Do you want to tell about the little girl whose mother gave her life for her, or do you want to tell about the mother who threw her daughter to safety? I think Alexandra's story might work better, simply because she's an active character and is, in the end, a hero. Verity is much more passive - she simply is saved. However, I like your ending a lot - both the part with Alexandra and the part about what happens to Verity. If you want to keep both, I think you could easily get away with sticking with Alexandra during the middle, and only switching to Verity after she dies.

About what each of the people see: I think it would work better if both young boys and women/girls saw the sirens as monsters, instead of the girls not seeing them at all. Then you don't have to dip into Lester's viewpoint to help us understand what's happening.

The other big thing I'd say here is to punch up the emotion. The second half is pretty good, but the scene with the captain I don't think shows very well what feeling that lust is like. You kind of just say "it's lust," when I think you could really make the reader feel how horrible this is by taking us inside the captain's mind as he succumbs. What's he thinking? Does part of him realize something's wrong? In general, you could use stronger verbs and sentences to convey more emotion - sometimes your prose is a little robotic.

And that's all I've got for this - I hope it helped! I definitely think this is a cool take on how the Titanic sunk.




User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm
View Likes
Dracula says...



Notes to self: It works that men can see the beautiful sirens, boys who haven't hit puberty see them as nightmarish creatures, females can't see them at all. I think I should either make this clearer, or let females see them in the same way as boys. I also think I need to mention Lester at the end.





cron
Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher