z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Duck Race

by Dracula


“Stop, mum!” Timothy pulled on his mother’s hand as they walked on a pedestrian bridge across the river. “I want to look at the ducks!” He leaned over the rail, his mother, Christa, being careful not to let the excited boy tumble off the edge. Had he fallen, though, Timothy wouldn’t have hit the water; he’d instead land on a sea of ducks.

“Welcome to the twenty-fourth annual duck race!” The presenter’s voice boomed throughout the park, and was met by the excited cheers of spectators. There were people everywhere; beside Tim and his mum on the bridge, on picnic mats across the grass, and within the various market tents which lined the river. But more populous than humans were the ducks: there were two thousand five hundred of them, to be exact. Their plastic, bright yellow figures all bobbed up and down in the river, waiting for the wind machine to push them along. The machine was at the far end of the park, where the river turned sharply, and when activated it would send strong gusts of air straight at the ducks to get them moving. The duck which reached the opposite side of the park first would be victorious, or rather, its owner would be. A hefty cash prize of one thousand dollars was on offer.

Timothy had his ticket tucked safely inside his pant pocket. It had the number of his winning racer written on it in thick black marker: number two thousand and twelve. As he looked beneath him at the hoard of yellow quakers, he tried to read their designations and find his champion.

“Can you see him, mum?” He tugged on her hand once more, and Christa reluctantly leant over the edge to join the search. “I reckon that’s him!” Timothy pointed his finger, but of course the ducks were so packed together that it was impossible to see which one he was aiming at. He knew which one it was, though; he could just make out the ‘2012’ on the creature’s back.

“I reckon it is,” Christa said, agreeing though she had no idea. “Now shall we go sit down? I don’t want to get soaked…” It had been drizzling steadily on and off throughout the morning, and the rain was evident in the sludgy grass and refreshing smell that drifted through the air. The raindrops were pit-pattering on the concrete bridge, getting louder and louder. Christa had her eye on the gazebo, currently only inhabited by a couple of families.

This time she tugged on Tim’s hand and said, “C’mon, before it gets too crowded.”

“Oh, alright,” he groaned, “if we have to.” Timothy waved goodbye to his prized duck, and then patted his pant pocket to ensure that the ticket was still there. It was essential that he had that piece of paper when it came time to collect his prize money; which Timothy was certain he’d win.

“It’s almost time to race!” The presenter declared, and Timothy covered his ears with his hands as Christa led him past a speaker. “I bet the ducks’ll love this bit of wet weather! Look! The rain’s getting them all excited!” Finally, just as the drops got uncomfortably heavy, Christa pushed through the final crowd of spectators on the riverbank and had a clear path to the gazebo. She ran to the shelter with Timothy beside her, practically holding him up as he attempted to run backwards. The boy’s full attention was on the ducks. The operator had turned the wind machine on, just to its lowest setting, so that the ducks danced in place amongst the rain. Tim knew his duck was getting warmed up, ready to swim to victory.

“Thank goodness,” Christa slumped down on a bench under the gazebo, “that was close.” As she spoke, the heavens opened and water poured down on the crowd. The weather created a crescendo on the gazebo roof as the drops got heavier and more frequent. Timothy wasn’t really happy about being stuck in there; he wanted to be on the grass with all the other children, jumping in puddles and shouting encouragement to their quackers. But he had a clear view of all the ducks, a blanket of yellow on the river, so he was content enough. Tim snuggled up in his mother’s lap as the presenter began his countdown.

“And it’s time to begin! Is everyone ready? Okay! Ten…” The two of them joined in the countdown, shouting out numbers in unison with all the other spectators. “Seven!” Timothy reached into his pant pocket and gripped onto the paper, his winning ticket crinkling in his fist. “Three!” The wind machine chugged to life, its fan gaining momentum. “One!” And the ducks were off!“Go! Go! Go!” Timothy shouted, his childish yells lost amongst thousands of other voices. The yellow specks flew along the river, bumping into each other as they went. Some tipped onto their backs, and would have stopped still if they weren’t pushed along by those ducks behind them. Tim tried to find two thousand and twelve, but they wouldn’t stay still long enough for him to focus on just one. He instead watched the row of ducks in front, constantly swapping places with each others as they swam over ripples and around obstacles.

“Who’s in front, I wonder?!” The presenter could hardly be heard amidst everyone’s shouts; they were both cheering on their plastic athletes and cursing at those in the back of the group. The blanket of yellow got closer and closer to the finish line, cameras lined up and waiting to capture the victor, since it was impossible for the human eye to decide. All at once, the rope strung across the water was hit by a stampede of ducks, and the race was over.

“Aaaaaand they’ve done it! The race is over, folks! Now to view the footage; I wonder who won?!” The presenter was at the finish line, holding a video camera in his hands whilst a helper sheltered him with an umbrella. Timothy anxiously gripped onto the ticket, desperately wishing for two thousand and twelve to be the winning duck. Christa swayed her legs back and forth, both comforting her son and trying to warm them up; like most of the parents there, she was eager to just go home get out of the wet weather.

“We’ve got our winner!” The presenter’s voice roared over the pit-patter of rain. “One thousand and seventy six!” Timothy’s heart sank, and his fist enclosed completely, crushing the losing ticket into a little ball. Two thousand and twelve had failed him! He felt tears mix with the rain drops on his cheeks, but brushed them away with his fist.

“Sorry, Timmy,” Christa squeezed him in her arms, resting her chin on his warm head. “I’m sure your duck was close.” The little boy ignored his mother, and instead stared longingly at the man who was shaking the presenter’s hand, claiming his prize of one thousand dollars. Another one of the kids in the gazebo was crying, obviously disappointed with their duck’s loss, but Timothy scoffed and wiped his eyes again; he was stronger than that. He thought of two thousand and twelve, bobbing up and down at the finish line, and the disappointment his duck must have been feeling.

“Two thousand and twelve was in the lead,” he said to Christa, his childish mind reasoning, “but one thousand and seventy six pushed him over!” He jumped off her lap, and promptly ran through the crowds of spectators to the riverside, where he could comfort his defeated, but extremely faithful duck. Timothy was certain that with a little bit of training, come next year’s duck race, two thousand and twelve would be victorious.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:53 am
Megrim wrote a review...



Hello again, this time with a follow-up to my previous one, which was the review all about stakes and choices. I want to briefly reiterate that here. I'm curious if I'll see a similar theme in your other stories too ^^

Essentially this feels like another vignette of sorts. It's a Moment. But it's not quite a *story.* Well, it sort of is. It all gets very hairy when you try to dissect this stuff. BUT, forgetting semantics, I think it has the same feel as the movies story: it lacks choices and consequences. Those choices were made in the past (everything with the duck preparing for the race), and the characters are seeing the consequences now (the actual race), but in a sense that's only half the picture. This is ONLY the second half of the equation, right? The stakes are winning or losing the race, but the choices have ALREADY all been made. Thus it makes the narrative here similar to before: the story happens to the character. This makes them (and us) a passive observer. It also means there's no real conflict. You could probably argue there's tension (will he win or not?), but there's no way for the characters to effect change. They're stuck biting their fingernails waiting to see what happens.

So that's my fancy analysis. The actual practical result is that as a reader, I skimmed the story looking for that spark or that hook to grab me. I suppose my point is that it's more than just academic discourse--tension and conflict and stakes and choices are what keep readers interested and engaged. Without them, the story makes less of an impact. Consider the short stories you've read that really stuck with you. Or the powerful moments in any fiction, like the season finale of a TV show. It's all about finding those tension points and pressing on them!




User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:54 am
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Dracula! Casanova here for another review!

Okay, so. I felt like this was a good story, but with something like this it's hard to make it suspenseful. When I was young and doing competitions, they were so much more important to me than what this seemed to be to Timmy. I'm not saying it wasn't important, it obviously was, but he's unrealistically apathetic through some of it. And I didn't really enjoy that.
Next thing is about character description. You have Timmy's there, but he's not really a strong character. He's there, but there's nothing really, in my opinion, setting him a part from his mother or thee announcer. Nothing at all to make him seem like the most important character in the short story. I would suggest fixing that, because Timmy is dull.
The next thing is plot. You have your plot line. They get to the river or whatever, thheey race, Timmy loses. This seems more like part of a bigger scheme, so I'd like to see if you're going to be adding more chapters later on. It was rather dull, then again I think that's the subject matter. How can you make a duck race exciting.. I dunno, But I'd love to find out. Over all it's not a /bad/ short story, but I'm sure with a little tweaking it could be better.

Anyway. I think that's all I have to say on this one. I hope it helped, even a bit.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron





I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye