z

Young Writers Society



The Dream Knitter

by Dracula


“Mummy.” Agatha Porter, but five years of age, lay in bed with the sheets pulled protectively up to her chin. She tilted her head on the pillow, looking at her mother who lay beside her. “Why do I have nightmares?”

“Through no fault of your own, my darling,” Suzy Porter assured her, lacing a hand around her daughter under the covers. “Let me tell you a story that will explain it all.”

There’s a whole other realm out there, one that we can only visit when we drift off to sleep. But not everyone; there’s a king and queen and a whole castle full of people in the dreamworld, who stay there all the time, ruling over the monsters and fairies and magical creatures who you meet at night. They don’t matter though, not really. It’s a sweet old lady who possesses the real power, who determines what a child dreams he or she sleeps.

The old lady lives within the pinnacle of the castle, a tall grey tower with a pointed roof and a gold flag flying on top. She never leaves her tower, because she’s always busy creating dreams for the children. All day and night she sits on a wooden stall, knitting in the candlelight. Can you guess what she knits?

“The old woman is knitting my dreams, isn’t she?” Agatha whispered, awed eyes looking into her mother’s. There was complete silence that night, as Suzy told her story. It was as if every soul was listening; even the owls and possums who normally danced and sang under the moon. The orb in the sky cast a pale light under the window, illuminating the storyteller’s face.

“That’s exactly right,” she answered, and continued with her story.

The old woman’s needles are made from the wood of a magical oak tree, and instead of click-clacking when she knits, they create a beautiful melody, just like the birdsong in the morn. Her yarn possesses magic too; its fibres are spun from gold and silver, and washed in a witches’ pool. It weaves in and out of the loops, conducting both marvelous adventures and terrifying nightmares.

But the old woman never intentionally causes children to have bad dreams. You must understand that she is often tired, never pausing at her work, and sometimes the poor old woman will make a mistake. Her needle will glide right past a loop, dropping a stitch, and that part of the dream will never make it to the child’s mind. That might have been the happy part; the knight who slays the dragon, for example, or the prized puppy in a giftbox. Without that essential component, the otherwise delightful dream the woman was knitting will turn into a nightmare. The dragon, without a knight to stop it, will raise an entire village to the ground. Or Christmas morning will come and there will be no puppy waiting under the tree, just dust and pine needles. This is why you have nightmares sometimes, because the old woman misses a stitch- though you mustn’t blame her.

“Oh, I don’t blame her,” Agatha declared, shaking her head against the pillow. “Knitting is hard, I know.” Suzy Porter giggled, her body shaking against the mattress as she did so. She stroked her daughter’s arm.

“You’ll get the hang of it one day, darling, and knit as many wonders as the old woman. But,” her expression turned serious as she arrived at the most important part of her story, “there is a way you can help the dream knitter, and ensure she doesn’t drop any golden stitches.”

“Oh, please tell me!” Agatha urged.

When the old woman is knitting a child’s dream, that child is connected to her through the mind. This joining of consciousnesses is so small and discreet that it often goes unnoticed, but if you know that it’s there… you can aid the old woman. You see, when the old woman’s needles pass over a loop of yarn, it’s because her eyes have drifted into a sleep of their own. She gets so tired, knitting day after day and night after night, without rest. If the child can catch her attention, before she forgets about the loop and continues knitting, the old woman can go back to the loop and pick it up with her magical needles.

All you have to do is chant -in your mind, of course- the following words: Keep knitting my dream.

“Keep knitting my dream,” Agatha began saying, squeezing her eyelids tightly together in an attempt to communicate with the dream knitter, sitting in her tower in the dreamworld. “Keep knitting my dream. Keep knitting my dream.”

Do that and the old woman will be fully alert, and at the top of her game. She won’t make a mistake, and the golden yarn will be knitted as she originally intended. The brave knight will come and slay the dragon, and the eager child will find a puppy under their Christmas tree. Do that, and you’ll almost certainly have nice dreams every single night. But don’t be angry at the old woman if she does make a mistake; her work is so tiresome, and she is so dedicated to you children.

“So you see, Agatha,” as she spoke, Suzy’s daughter opened her eyes and stopped chanting, giving her full attention to her mother, “your nightmares aren’t really nightmares. They’re just good dreams gone bad, and you can help the old woman fix them.” Agatha nodded against the pillow, no longer clutching the sheets so tightly to her chin.

“All I have to do is keep chanting.”

“Keep knitting my dream,” Suzy smiled.

“Thank you for that story, mummy.” Agatha placed a tender kiss on her mother’s cheek. “Good night.” She closed her eyes once more and as she drifted off to sleep, the little five-year-old continued chanting the powerful words in her mind. Keep knitting my dream. Keep knitting my dream. The story now told, Suzy could hear the owls and possums resume their hooting and scurrying outdoors, under the light of the moon. But all Agatha could hear was the bird-song melody as the old woman swept her needles through golden yarn.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
624 Reviews


Points: 3571
Reviews: 624

Donate
Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:13 pm
Casanova wrote a review...



Heya, Dracula! Casanova here to do a review!

The first thing I noticed was the dialogue. It doesn't sound like caring people talking to each other. It's more like people who don't know each other conversing in a meeting when their jobs meet. An example of this would be-

“Through no fault of your own, my darling,” Suzy Porter assured her, lacing a hand around her daughter under the covers. “Let me tell you a story that will explain it all.”


See, this doesn't sound like a mother talking to her daughter. This sounds like a boss or supervisor talking to their employee without trying to bow up at them. The phrasing seems to be a fake nice, or someone who is extremely condescending. Play around with wording and how you phrase things. I will repeat that several times. Anyway, on to my next point.
The next thing I noticed was the length. It's a lot shorter than some of the short stories I've seen from you. And when I read it I thought that it wasn't finished. I would suggest that you play around with the plot. To the next point.
The next thing I noticed was the plot. I felt as if it's incomplete, like you should add more to it. The way it unfolds is alright, I mean you have somewhat a suspense tone to it, but it seems rather lacking. I would suggest tweaking this a bit.
The next thing I noticed was character description. With the way the story is told it seems like both characters are either reading from a line sheet without any emotion to them, or they're computers reading off a text. There really isn't anything to them.

Anyway, I think that's all I have to say on this one. Moving on, and I hope this helped at least a bit.

Keep on doing what you're doing and keep on keeping on.

Sincerely, Matthew Casanova Aaron.




User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:35 am
plagueratbabe wrote a review...



Hi There! Plagueratbabe here for a review! I really liked the imagery you were able to put in and how well you integrated the story of the dream knitter vs the other characters lines and actions. i love that you were able to set a certain timeline to it without directly stating it, like i felt this could've been almost like an old victorian story and you could take it either way by having the dream knitter by the hero or a villian so this is a very multi-talented story that i can see going many different ways and any way it would be amazing. very nice word and diction choice, that is another thing that conveys a nice time period for me, very subtle and nice details and overall a really good story




User avatar


Points: 126
Reviews: 4

Donate
Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:03 am
rawritszoe wrote a review...



I absolutely adore this story. Right from the beginning it grabs your attention and refuses to let it go till the very end. The idea of someone creating dreams rather than them just being there is very thought-provoking and quite interesting. The sheer amount of creativity required to create such a story is astounding. I rate it 10/10 <3.




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 6987
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 pm
JosephGeorge wrote a review...



Hey Dracula,

First Impressions: Interesting topic that catches the eye, once you've read a few sentences in, as you realize that the title "Dream Knitter" is literal. Sort of threw me for a loop for a second, as most would think it something metaphorical, or rhetorical.

It definitely felt a little, well, as if my mother were telling me a story, versus a skilled writer entertaining my mind. But then, the story is exactly that, so it could be treated as a means of creating a more realistic environment. (I'd love to hear your personal thought about that, if you manage to reply:)

Positives:

but if you know that it’s there… you can aid the old woman. You see, when the old woman’s needles pass over a loop of yarn, it’s because her eyes have drifted into a sleep of their own. She gets so tired, knitting day after day and night after night, without rest. If the child can catch her attention, before she forgets about the loop and continues knitting, the old woman can go back to the loop and pick it up with her magical needles.

All you have to do is chant -in your mind, of course- the following words: Keep knitting my dream.


I thought that this was perhaps the best part of the short story, which is probably true as it's sort of the "climax," if you could say there was one. But I'm pretty sure that a younger child reading this would actually take you up on the offer and do exactly what little Agatha is.

y...our nightmares aren’t really nightmares. They’re just good dreams gone bad....


If I were to "quote" something from this story, I'd probably choose the above section.

Negatives: There wasn't much, which is standard for a Short Story, as there isn't much to review on, nor is there much opinion that can go into it. It just is, and I thought it was simple, well enough and not a waste of time.

All day and night she sits on a wooden stall


Not sure if you wanted to say "stall," as I thought it should be "stool," but only a possible minor spelling error.

Overall: Nice little story. Would do great as a picture book with some abstract concept art.

I give it:
ImageImageImageImage


Thanks for the read, and keep up the hard work!

Joseph Henry George




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 9
Reviews: 25

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:08 pm
XxPheonixKittenxX wrote a review...



Hey there it's Kitten for another review! I did see a few mistakes that were very noticeable. Nothing big, so here we go!

",lacing a hand around her daughter under the covers"
I believe you meant "placing a hand" Simple mistake. (trust me, I make them all the time!)

"castle full of people in the dreamworld, "
You're just missing a space between 'dream' and 'world'

" a tall grey tower with a pointed roof"
Simple change the e to an a in "grey"

"its fibres are spun from"
spelling error here. "fibers"

"gold and silver, "
you don't really need the comma.

"or the prized puppy in a giftbox"
again you missed the space between 'girt' and 'box'

"the woman was knitting will turn into a nightmare."
just as a suggestion, you 'would turn' instead of 'will turn'

"Christmas morning will come"
forgot to add a comma after "will come" (I do that a lot!)

"This is why you have nightmares sometimes, "
This time, you actually don't need a comma.

"to communicate with the dream knitter, sitting in her tower in the dreamworld."
"dreamworld" needs to have a space in between 'dream' and 'world'

" She closed her eyes once more"
you forgot the comma again. (like I said before, I do the same thing. You aren't alone.)

other than that, this was an amazing short story! I loved it very much! Please keep writing!




User avatar


Points: 98
Reviews: -2

Donate
Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:19 pm
CuriosityCat2 says...



Great job. I loved every bit of it!





Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko