z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Consequences

by Dracula


"Who will rid me of this demanding priest?" the King bellowed, throwing his tankard of ale in the air. "I carpet his chapel with velvet and still he asks me to give money to the poor!" He looked at his subjects, seated either side of him at the table. "Well? What do you think?"

At the King's prompting, they all nodded their heads and muttered words of agreement. "He should be punished, Milord. What a greedy man indeed."

"Exactly. And to think that we used to school side by side. But no! He sees himself higher above me now, a man of God, making all these demands." He raised the tankard to his lips, taking no notice when the liquid dripped down his chest.

"What shall we do, Sire?" one knight asked.

"What shall you do? Drink some more, of course, before my old friend claims it for himself!" The King banged his vessel on the table and a servant poured more ale. He muttered under his breath, "Who'll rid me of 'im?"

After supper four of the King's knights met in the courtyard. Their horses were ready to ride and their swords sharpened.

“Are you confident we're doing the right thing?” the youngest of the four asked. As he mounted his horse, the evening sun glistened on his armour.

“You heard the King,” the eldest replied. “'Who shall rid me of this demanding priest?' That's what he said and I bet there's a nice reward for whoever brings him the greedy oaf's head.”

It was agreed that they would go assassinate the Priest on the King's orders. The brother knights vowed that they would share responsibility, so they would be equally rewarded.

When the King awoke in the morning a messenger was waiting for him.

“Your knights would like to request an audience out-of-doors, Milord.”

“What do they want at this hour?” He rubbed his aching head, regretting all he'd drunk the night before.

“I do not know, Milord, but there was blood on their hands.” The messenger bowed and exited the chamber.

Reluctantly, the King threw on his pants and robe, then wobbled downstairs. This better be important, he thought.

In the courtyard, the four knights bowed as he came into view. When they leaned downwards the King thought he saw blood covering the horse behind them, but he dismissed it as a trick of the light.

“My King,” the eldest knight said, “we have done as you asked. My brothers and I-”

“What was it that I asked?” The King steadied himself, trying to remember.

The armour clad men stepped aside so the horse, and the figure upon it, were revealed. “We have killed the priest as you requested.”

The King let out a gasp and fell forwards, clutching the grass. His old friend's body was strung across the animal, bruised and bloody. The Priest's torso was shredded, his face blue as the sky. The King felt bile rise in his throat and looked away.

“Milord, are you okay?” The youngest knight offered his hand.

“When shall we collect our reward?” Asked the elder.

“Reward?!” Shouted the trembling King. “I did not order the Priest's execution! You have slain my good friend!”

The younger knight glanced nervously at his brothers. “But you said, at the supper...”

“Your words exactly, my good King,” continued another knight, “were 'who shall rid me of this demanding priest?'”

The King pulled at his hair, screaming and weeping. The throbbing in his head, caused by too much ale, was magnified tenfold. “I did not mean any of it! I was angry! My mind was not my own!” Guilt overcame him like the shadow of Death. “My friend is slain and it is all my fault!”

The knights shuffled uncomfortably on the lawn, trying to shield the horse from his sight. The youngest knight once again offered a shaking hand to his King but he slapped it away.

“Go! Go and pray for forgiveness!” the King shouted. He wished to mourn alone.

That evening, the King arranged the most lavish funeral of the century, yet no amount of gold could dampen his regret.

Therefore, as soon as the sun rose, the King walked barefoot along the streets of his city. Lining the cobbled paths were one hundred monks, each holding a strand of leather. They whipped the King as he stumbled past, leaving a trail of red footprints for all to see.

No matter how much the King repented, he knew the Priest's blood would forever stain his hands. No amount of ale could wash it away, and the ruler only found peace when he joined his friend in death.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 350
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pm
Zel wrote a review...



Zel here to drop a review!

::Positives::

To begin my literary dissection, I would like to recognize the things that you, as a author, did to make this story more appealing than what I assumed it to be. Taking the consequences of irresponsible drinking and mixing in the feelings of guilt and self hatred was more than a pat on the back, it was something that should be acknowledged and kept note of. Thus, making your message unforgettable which is something all readers, including myself, admire in a good piece of work. Now, when considering the outline of your story it is clear that you mastered the skill of fine plotting. I am surprised by the wind like flow of the story for I encountered so many that just stop and started in every paragraph I read. Good Job.

::Negatives::

Of course every story is not perfect needless to say, so of course you are going to have some negatives here and there. But it is always best to point them out so you know what you need to work on. The structure does not resemble that of a short story, when i heard the word "story" I picture long, thoughtful paragraphs that flow into one another. I do not see that here, I see cut up sentences that should be laces with other sentences. With that being said, you should lace up your paragraphs. And if you come to the point where your story is too short for your liking then you should think about adding more fine details to fill those paragraphs with to make them lengthier. Speaking of detail, I did not come across much...I only came across the feelings but not much of the actions in my opinion. So please, add more and make this story spectacular!




User avatar


Points: 250
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am
MuslimPen wrote a review...



After a long period of silence, during which I bated my breaths and clinched the muscles of my stomach, I breathed slowly, "Oh- my- God."

That was my reaction when I read this piece and that's how much I LOVED... No, not loved, but admired and fell in complete head over heels for your story. Well, listen, I'm known among friends to be horribly emotional, but this story made me shudder and it still has the same effect on me as I write this.

The way the knights nodded in blind and hastened agreement, out of fear, when their king spoke was amazing. It pretty much wrapped up how things go between a tyrant master and his followers; it made me understand so instantly the political systems that took place in the time when the story took place.

The gradation of events and emotions: The rash words he spoke out of anger, then again the blind and greedy agreement of his knights despite the reluctant thoughts of some and then the horror and the agonizing remorse that gripped the king.

What am I doing, writing the piece all over again? It's splendid, full of morals and right to the point like a sharpened arrow. That's my favorite kind of reading AND writing and you just truly made my day like this.

Are there any mistakes? Yes, some spelling mistakes and some structure ones here and there, but they're not a lot and I'm sure you'll notice them once you proofread it.

Bravo, bravo! Oh, dear God, I sound stupid, but I don't care.
***

Forgot to introduce myself. I'm Dua and you're an awesome writer.




User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 15
Reviews: 58

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:06 am
RavenBlack wrote a review...



Hey Raven Black Here!

This is so good! Short yet effective! I had a feeling the King was going to regret his decision but I didn't feel bad for him, he shouldn't have been drunk in the first place :-/

Positives:
- The use of dialogue and old English really set the setting and I knew immediately that this wasn't set in modern time. Was it Tudor England? I'm not sure but I knew it was a long time ago xD

- Showing not telling, I envy people who can do this technique :-( I find it so hard to show rather than tell the reader details. But you allowed me as the reader to realize that he didn't mean for his friend to be killed through dialogue and description, which makes it more enjoyable to read. Well done!

Negatives:
- To be honest the only negative is I wish it was a bit longer. What happened after word got out that the king had the priest killed. Was their a rebellion. How did the event affect his rule and himself?

Keep Writing. This was an excellent piece!





Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights