z

Young Writers Society



A Cold Moon [Chapter One] [Part I]

by DrPepperSkaterPunk


Today was September 2nd, the first day of school. For Kerry, it was the last first day of school. She found it hard to believe that she was already a senior, but it made her happy that she was going into her last ever school year. In 9 months, she’d be in a graduation gown and cap, with a high school diploma in her hand.

Kerry looked into the mirror with glee. She felt confident and in control. She was wearing a brown business skirt, fishnet tights, black high heels, and a pink v-neck shirt. Her light brown hair was curled, and she had her yellow leather messenger bag, which was adorned with several pins from various occasions, was slumped over her right shoulder.

Ever since she was 5, she’d slept in the same room – in a small loft above the house. When she’d moved in, it was old, dusty, and beaten up. She had made it her own, painting the walls a dark blue and getting pale blue carpeting, buying black wooden furniture, which consisted of her bed, her dresser, and a bookcase. It wasn’t very big, but It was a cozy, and a little place for Kerry to hang out whenever she needed alone time.

She smiled, opening the trap door and climbing down the ladder to the kitchen below.

Her parents were sitting down at the sleek wooden table, cups of coffee in hand.

“Morning Kerry,” welcomed her father, his voice deep and booming.

“You excited?” asked her mother, “Senior. I never thought it would happen,”

“Yep,” Kerry sighed, as she poured herself a bowl of cereal.

After she finished, she waved goodbye to her parents, and got into her car – a green Volkswagen Beetle, and drove the short distance to Bowness High School, where she’d been going since freshman year.

The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little, even though she’d lived in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere, in the county of Cumbria, in England. It was a fun area to live in.

She got to school; a brick expanse partially hidden by trees and draped in a banner boldly declaring the name.

Kerry smiled at the familiar site, as if she was visiting an old friend. It had only seemed like yesterday since Kerry had celebrated the last day of her junior year. Now she was a senior. As she walked in, she saw a group of children who were headed to the auditorium. She mixed herself in the group, looking for her best friend Dorothy and her boyfriend Lucas.

The students were instructed to sit by homerooms. Kerry pulled out her schedule, looking for the name. It was Clark. She saw were the rest of her homeroom was, and went to go sit by them. Kerry sat through a dull orientation that seemed to last forever, when finally; it was time for 1st Period.

Kerry had Social Studies. She looked at her schedule and went to room 205. It was a small room, with pale blue carpeting and crisp white walls. Each desk was a light colored wood, and the chairs were blue and plastic.

“Pleased you could join us, Miss Archer,” said the teacher sarcastically. Kerry did not recognize him. He was tall and muscular, with unkempt red hair and thick glasses. He was wearing a red and white polo – tucked in – with khaki pants. Maybe he’s a new teacher, she thought. Kerry frowned, noticing she was the last one to come in the classroom, “You may take a seat right next to Dorothy,”

Kerry smiled, pleased that her friend was in the class. She set her books down on the desk. “What’s up?” she asked.

“Not much,” Dorothy responded, “I like your outfit,”

“Thanks,” Kerry replied.

She opened her mouth to speak, but then the teacher cleared his throat to begin. He wrote his name on the board.

“I am Mr. Cook. Now, the ground rules for this class-”

Mr. Cook was interrupted by the knock of the classroom door. He frowned, angrily dropping his chalk.

“Yes?” he asked, irritated.

The door opened, and Kerry recognized Principal Leonard. He had a student in his arm. Kerry did not recognize her, so she figured the student must be new. She was short, and she had long black hair with red streaks. She was wearing a red hoodie with a cheetah print, long black gloves, and black and white checkered pants.

“Mr. Cook, this is Lauren McCullough. She’s new. She’ll be joining your class,”

“Well, Lauren?” Mr. Cook asked, “Do you want to introduce yourself or something?”

“Sure,” she responded quietly. Kerry noticed she had a thick American accent. Lauren rummaged through her black, skull bag, pulling out a crumpled sheet of paper.

“Well yea,” she mumbled, “So, my name’s Lauren, I’m from the Boston area- that’s in the US, and yea,” she put her paper away and looked at the teacher.

As Lauren took her seat, which was two desks down from Kerry, Kerry had been eyeing the new girl curiously. She seemed very different. Kerry had not met anyone from the US before. She also thought the girl had a weird sense of style. Kerry also thought it was funny about how quiet she was. She sighed, deciding to try to ignore the girl as much as possible.

She picked at her nails, which were purple and neatly trimmed.

“What do you think about her?” Kerry asked, leaning over towards Dorothy.

“Who?”

“The new kid,”

“Weird. She hasn’t even smiled yet,”

“I know, right? What’s up with her?” Kerry asked, staring over at Lauren again. She had her head down her desk and her arm across her shoulder. She looked liked she was in pain. Must be from the move, Kerry thought.

“Give her time,” Dorothy said simply. She pulled her long, chocolate brown hair up in a ponytail, and then looked at Lauren again, “Kerry…we should probably try to be her friend,”

“What?” Kerry responded angrily. The last thing she wanted was an American who didn’t smile and dressed weird for a friend.

“I mean, come on Kerry. Poor girl is new. She probably had to leave all her friends behind, and she doesn’t know anyone here. You need to be nice, Kerry. There are going to be people who are different then you,”

“Fine,” Kerry sighed, “ I guess we can try to be her friend,”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 790
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:39 pm
realdairy wrote a review...



Hey.

I thought this was very entertaining to read, good job! The only suggestions I would make would be to add more detail in her surroundings to give us more of a visual. Other then that im anxious to read more and I encourage you to keep writing.




User avatar
188 Reviews


Points: 13247
Reviews: 188

Donate
Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:50 pm
EmmaJane wrote a review...



Following up on Karsten's comments...

Okay, auditorium, do you mean the "main hall" or just cut down to "hall"
Registration would be a little too formal for every-day school girl language, "form" or "form time"
Orientation?
Social studies would be either P.A.C.E or P.S.H.E (I think) P.S.H.E would be more commonly used.
Again, "headmaster" would be a little too formal. (Just a little) Head? Headteacher?
"Dresser" would be "draws"
"schedule" would be time-table


In 9 months, she’d be in a graduation gown and cap, with a high school diploma in her hand.

All that for the end of secondary school? Ha!! We got lovely necklaces and GCSEs, wow. Nah, that comes later on in our education, I think. University? But that does NOT happen at the end of secondary school. In America you're 17 or 18 when that happens, right? Could be wrong. 18 would be the end of sixth form, as Karsten said...

Ever since she was 5

Please! Write out small numbers! "Five" is a lot better.

1st Period.

First lesson!!!

“You may take a seat right next to Dorothy,”

There is no speech tag after this so and with a full-stop instead.

He had a student in his arm.

What?? Surely that's not allowed. I don't know what you mean by this. "He had student with him"

“Well yea,”

"Yeah"

My advice: Perhaps you should stick to America, for now. There are just too many confusing different words. Chips and crisps. Sneakers and trainers. Scones and biscuits. Um... Oh, and more description needed - and I don't mean what they're wearing and if their hair looks like chocolate. Describe the scenery a little more, personalities, the weather! And no offense, but Dorothy is a little old. I apologise to anyone with that name :S

Sorry if I was too harsh...

~EmmaJane~




Random avatar

Points: 12900
Reviews: 110

Donate
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:33 pm
Karsten wrote a review...



Hi DrPepper,

Following up on Awake's comments about this not reading like a real English setting, differences you might find helpful:

* We don't express dates as September 2nd, but as the 2nd of September or September the 2nd.
* We don't have high schools. The equivalent term is secondary school, but it's more likely the school would be called just Bowness School.
* We don't have freshman, junior or senior years. Pupils start secondary school aged 11 in Year 7, then up to age 16 in Year 11, then enter sixth form (this may be part of the same school) aged 17 in Year 12 (possibly Lower Sixth) and finish up aged 18 in Year 13 (possibly Upper Sixth).
* We don't have graduation from school, so we don't have graduation gowns and caps. You might find a Leavers' Ball equivalent for your purposes.
* We don't have high school diplomas. You leave school at 16 with GCSEs or at 18 with A-levels.
* We don't wear our own clothes to school - we have school uniforms.
* Dress code for teachers is more like business casual, not polo shirts and khaki trousers.
* On that note, what you call pants an English narrator would call trousers.
* I'm not sure what you mean by auditorium in this context, but I'm pretty sure we don't have those.
* We don't have homeroom. I think you mean registration.
* Whatever orientation is, we call it something different.
* Not sure what Social Studies is, but we don't have that here.
* We don't have principals. Headmaster is the term.

If you're not familiar with English schools, you might find it easier just to stick to US settings. Frequent errors of this nature make the whole piece feel unrealistic and poorly researched, whereas I imagine your depiction of a US setting would be much more believable.

Hope this helped,
Karsten




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1633
Reviews: 53

Donate
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 pm
Awake wrote a review...



Hello,

This first chapter has a lot of potential. Aside from grammar or punctuation, you are still telling not showing and are really going far into detail of people and not setting. Like there's no feel to what is surrounding the character. Sometime what surrounds the characters can help develop them. That's what I'm getting out of it personally.
From what I read from about what they're wearing, this must be some funky-punky future! I'm in high school and no one wears fishnets with anything and I go to a pretty far out there school. But I have to say, it certainly gives character. This checkered, cheetah printed, in pain Lauren creature is going to be our Vamp-girl right?
Also, not that I noticed anything with the conversations but this is supposed to be set in England. Not that you can have accents per say but speech is different. Words mean different things. There is slang as well as culture in the speech. Please keep this in mind. Personally I'm not from England but where I live, we have similar speech to that of the British. When we speak to those out side of where we live we are often mistaken for people from the UK.




User avatar
136 Reviews


Points: 7718
Reviews: 136

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10 pm
Eraqio wrote a review...



My reviews are very short and more on content than punctuation.

Certain parts of this were very descriptive, congratulations from a Lovecraft fan here on that, however your description can at times be very curt and almost sped up so that we loose track of exactly what it is that your meaning to show us, and in some cases make me stumble.

As an opening entry, this was very good, your a begining writer and so far your writing is already pretty well on its way to higher development.

When describing locations and places, be sure to do it all at once or over a short, quick description that doesnt interrupt the flow of the story, so as to keep me, the reader, from going "yeah, yeah, go on."

The story itself, very interesting, with a little tweaking it could be a definate great.

I look forward to more.

Exe's and Oh's, Eraqio.

PS. Dream with your boots on.




User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 2570
Reviews: 245

Donate
Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:18 pm
LowKey wrote a review...



The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little, even though she’d lived in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere, in the county of Cumbria, in England. It was a fun area to live in.

Woo! Long sentence. Might want to restructure it a bit.

The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little.


While the second part did give some valuable information (I wasn't thinking 'beach' and I certainly wasn't thinking England!) as it is it feels like an info dump. It's also a bit confusing. Even though she lived in Browness on the shores of Lake Windmere in the county of Cumbria in England, she still shook when driving over the rough hilly terrain. Who cares where she lives, driving over rough and hilly terrain is enough to make almost anyone uptight. All the location information isn't important to the topic of the sentence, if that makes sense.

However, it is useful information, and it should be included somewhere, just perhaps not all at once and not all told. Work it in a bit at a time. "In the heart of/on the outskirts of Cumbria County...." "She could see Lake Windmere from her window..."

Kerry sat through a dull orientation that seemed to last forever, when finally; it was time for 1st Period.


Ack, too much repitition of Kerry and She. Try re organizing the sentence. "After sitting through the dul orientation that seemed to last forever, it was finally time for 1st Period."

Or something similar. Just try to move away from the robotic sentences. :)


“Pleased you could join us, Miss Archer,” said the teacher sarcastically. Kerry did not recognize him.


But... but... how did he know her then? High school teachers typically deal with over a hundred students a day. They have full classrooms six times a day, each time with new faces. When my mom taught it, it took her well over a month to get all of her students names straight. If the class size is reasonable (not sure how things are over in England, but over here, 'reasonable' is a thing of the past, it seems, especially in California) then it's probably about 20 kids. 20 times 6 and you get 120. It's a brand new year, so this teacher is just now greeted by the first 20 or so of his 120 new students. I suppose he could have called attendance and noticed her as the only one missing, but Mr. Cook would also have the new girl on his attendance sheet. :-\

As Lauren took her seat, which was two desks down from Kerry, Kerry had been eyeing the new girl curiously. She seemed very different. Kerry had not met anyone from the US before. She also thought the girl had a weird sense of style. Kerry also thought it was funny about how quiet she was. She sighed, deciding to try to ignore the girl as much as possible.


Yipe! Again, watch out for the repetition. :P

The last thing she wanted was an American who didn’t smile and dressed weird for a friend.

Aww, grump grump.

Confession:

I was very worried when I clicked into this piece, even more so when I saw your age (My little sister joined here when she was 9, so I know how much that must dig into your skin right now. :P)

I was expecting a sloppy, quickly written piece in which the vampire is a hot guy with a 'darkness in his soul' and who is immediately drooled over by all the girls in high school. Kerry, of course, wouldn't drool over him, and so would become the object of his obsession. He'd rescue her a few times, explain why they shouldn't be together, and in the end, they'd live happily ever after. Basically? I was expecting an over the top, cheesy, poorly written romance with flat, annoying Mary-Sue characters.

Hey, can you blame me? 12-year-old girl writes a vampire story. More often than not on here, there's no 'twist' about it. The stories tend to be the same. This was.... actually pretty surprising. It looks like you actually took your time with this, the characters seem original and the vampire is a girl! I love that! Not only is she a girl, but she doesn't have an attitude and she's not trying to seduce anyone into her lair! Mwa-ha! Thank you!

...assuming, of course, that the new girl is the vampire. >.> XD

Don't get me wrong, guy vampires are awesome. Just please, please, please don't make him the stereotypical vampire dud at the high school. You've got me hopeful that this vampire story might actually be something readable, and you've shown that you take your time with your writing, so I'm really, really hoping you don't dash the hopes you've built up by going the traditional route.

I supposed it helps that this is in fantasy fiction and not romance, at least. ^_^




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 2474
Reviews: 47

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 pm
dragnet says...



Oops. sorry, i've never quotted before, and I thouth that I was doing it right. I guess not. Anyway, the parts that were awkward, I'll just Type.

"The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little, even though she’d lived in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere, in the county of Cumbria, in England. It was a fun area to live in."

It's confusing. It's a sentence were you start a thought, but never end it. Even though she lived in Bownes...Yeah? What about it?

Here's the other confusing part.

"Pleased you could join us, Miss Archer,” said the teacher sarcastically."

I think that you mean, "Could you please join us, Miss Archer," said the teacher sarcastically. And if she just met him, how does he know her and Dorothy's names?

other than that, it was pretty good. Keep at it. I want to know more about Mysterious American Girl.




User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 2474
Reviews: 47

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm
dragnet wrote a review...



Today was September 2nd, the first day of school. For Kerry, it was the last first day of school. She found it hard to believe that she was already a senior, but it made her happy that she was going into her last ever school year. In 9 months, she’d be in a graduation gown and cap, with a high school diploma in her hand.
Kerry looked into the mirror with glee. She felt confident and in control. She was wearing a brown business skirt, fishnet tights, black high heels, and a pink v-neck shirt. Her light brown hair was curled, and she had her yellow leather messenger bag, which was adorned with several pins from various occasions, was slumped over her right shoulder.
Ever since she was 5, she’d slept in the same room – in a small loft above the house. When she’d moved in, it was old, dusty, and beaten up. She had made it her own, painting the walls a dark blue and getting pale blue carpeting, buying black wooden furniture, which consisted of her bed, her dresser, and a bookcase. It wasn’t very big, but It was a cozy, and a little place for Kerry to hang out whenever she needed alone time.
She smiled, opening the trap door and climbing down the ladder to the kitchen below.
Her parents were sitting down at the sleek wooden table, cups of coffee in hand.
“Morning Kerry,” welcomed her father, his voice deep and booming.
“You excited?” asked her mother, “Senior. I never thought it would happen,”
“Yep,” Kerry sighed, as she poured herself a bowl of cereal.
After she finished, she waved goodbye to her parents, and got into her car – a green Volkswagen Beetle, and drove the short distance to Bowness High School, where she’d been going since freshman year.
[quote="DrPepperSkaterPunk"]The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little, even though she’d lived in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere, in the county of Cumbria, in England. It was a fun area to live in.[/quote]
She got to school; a brick expanse partially hidden by trees and draped in a banner boldly declaring the name.
Kerry smiled at the familiar site, as if she was visiting an old friend. It had only seemed like yesterday since Kerry had celebrated the last day of her junior year. Now she was a senior. As she walked in, she saw a group of children who were headed to the auditorium. She mixed herself in the group, looking for her best friend Dorothy and her boyfriend Lucas.
The students were instructed to sit by homerooms. Kerry pulled out her schedule, looking for the name. It was Clark. She saw were the rest of her homeroom was, and went to go sit by them. Kerry sat through a dull orientation that seemed to last forever, when finally; it was time for 1st Period.
Kerry had Social Studies. She looked at her schedule and went to room 205. It was a small room, with pale blue carpeting and crisp white walls. Each desk was a light colored wood, and the chairs were blue and plastic.
“Pleased you could join us, Miss Archer,” said the teacher sarcastically. Kerry did not recognize him. He was tall and muscular, with unkempt red hair and thick glasses. He was wearing a red and white polo – tucked in – with khaki pants. Maybe he’s a new teacher, she thought. Kerry frowned, noticing she was the last one to come in the classroom, “You may take a seat right next to Dorothy,”
Kerry smiled, pleased that her friend was in the class. She set her books down on the desk. “What’s up?” she asked.
“Not much,” Dorothy responded, “I like your outfit,”
“Thanks,” Kerry replied.
She opened her mouth to speak, but then the teacher cleared his throat to begin. He wrote his name on the board.
“I am Mr. Cook. Now, the ground rules for this class-”
Mr. Cook was interrupted by the knock of the classroom door. He frowned, angrily dropping his chalk.
“Yes?” he asked, irritated.
The door opened, and Kerry recognized Principal Leonard. He had a student in his arm. Kerry did not recognize her, so she figured the student must be new. She was short, and she had long black hair with red streaks. She was wearing a red hoodie with a cheetah print, long black gloves, and black and white checkered pants.
“Mr. Cook, this is Lauren McCullough. She’s new. She’ll be joining your class,”
“Well, Lauren?” Mr. Cook asked, “Do you want to introduce yourself or something?”
“Sure,” she responded quietly. Kerry noticed she had a thick American accent. Lauren rummaged through her black, skull bag, pulling out a crumpled sheet of paper.
“Well yea,” she mumbled, “So, my name’s Lauren, I’m from the Boston area- that’s in the US, and yea,” she put her paper away and looked at the teacher.
As Lauren took her seat, which was two desks down from Kerry, Kerry had been eyeing the new girl curiously. She seemed very different. Kerry had not met anyone from the US before. She also thought the girl had a weird sense of style. Kerry also thought it was funny about how quiet she was. She sighed, deciding to try to ignore the girl as much as possible.
She picked at her nails, which were purple and neatly trimmed.
“What do you think about her?” Kerry asked, leaning over towards Dorothy.
“Who?”
“The new kid,”
“Weird. She hasn’t even smiled yet,”
“I know, right? What’s up with her?” Kerry asked, staring over at Lauren again. She had her head down her desk and her arm across her shoulder. She looked liked she was in pain. Must be from the move, Kerry thought.
“Give her time,” Dorothy said simply. She pulled her long, chocolate brown hair up in a ponytail, and then looked at Lauren again, “Kerry…we should probably try to be her friend,”
“What?” Kerry responded angrily. The last thing she wanted was an American who didn’t smile and dressed weird for a friend.
“I mean, come on Kerry. Poor girl is new. She probably had to leave all her friends behind, and she doesn’t know anyone here. You need to be nice, Kerry. There are going to be people who are different then you,”
“Fine,” Kerry sighed, “ I guess we can try to be her friend,”




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:19 pm
KJ wrote a review...



Hi, Dr. Pepper. I'm KJ. I noticed that you've gotten more than enough nitpicks, so I'll leave off on those this time. I wanted to give you a couple observations of mine in hopes that they would help you improve your story's beginning.

The hook. It bothered me more than anything else. It's too typical. A date, a morning, a girl waking up. It's been done. Now, granted, it would be pretty hard to find a hook that hasn't been used out of all of the world's literature, but still. You could try to use something a little more eye-catching, a little less dry. Is there a song you love? Use the lyrics. Is there a poem you enjoy? Give us the lines. Is there a mental image in your head thats always there? Tell us about it. I just want MORE.

Now, your plot. The parents, the friends, the high school. Like your hook - I feel like I'm being harsh, and I'm not enjoying it, but it needs to be said - it's typical. It's BEEN DONE. The vampires, the new kid. All of it. When I read this, I felt like I was rereading something. You need more intrigue, Dr. Pepper. More descriptions, more emotions, more mystery. MORE. Like a mantra, I'm just saying it, MORE.

I hate that all of this is negative, but on the praising side, the world you've created does seem real. And even though I felt like I was rereading something, that means that you've got talent. Keep writing! Don't ever give up. Just keep looking for fresh ideas.

Your friend,

KJ




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:36 am
TheEccentricScribe wrote a review...



Nice start. Didn't notice many problems, except for one paragraph:

The students were instructed to sit by homerooms. Kerry pulled out her schedule, looking for the name. It was Clark. She saw were the rest of her homeroom was, and went to go sit by them. Kerry sat through a dull orientation that seemed to last forever, when finally; it was time for 1st Period.

"Were" should be "where." Also, the semi-colon is used incorrectly. Just remove it. No need for punctuation there.

Didn't notice anything else. Let me know when you update.




User avatar
144 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 144

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 am
GoldenQuill wrote a review...



Hey there! =[}
NITPICKING TIME! xP

consisted of her bed, her dresser, and a bookcase. It wasn’t very big, but It was a cozy, and a little place for Kerry to hang out whenever she needed alone time.

If I were you, I'd take out of 'of' so it's just 'consisted her bed, her dresser, and a bookcase'. Also, lowercase the 'I' in 'it'.
“You excited?” asked her mother, “Senior. I never thought it would happen,”

Two things here.
First, since her mother asked a question and finished, you put a peroid, not a comma after 'mother'. Also, after 'happen' you put a peroid.
But if I were her mother, I'd either be: "Senior! I never thought it would happen!" like all exclaiming and stuff.
“Yep,” Kerry sighed, as she poured herself a bowl of cereal.

The comma is unnessecary. It sounds better without the comma. Well, just flows better. If you know what I mean.
The terrain was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little, even though she’d lived in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere, in the county of Cumbria, in England.

I think we need a semicolon in there.
The terrian was rough and hilly, and it made Kerry shake a little; even though... etc.
Also... you lost me. You said 'even though', but then you didn't say anything to pertain to the even though, if you understand. Perhaps you meant, 'even though she'd live in Bowness, which was a small town on the shores of Lake Windmere in the county of Cumbria in England, all her life, she still wasn't used to the terrain' or something like that. Also, I think your explaining of where she lives is too inept.
1st Period.

Agh. Try not to do the '1st' thing. It makes us seem smarter if we spell it out. x[}
“You may take a seat right next to Dorothy,”

Maybe you don't know the rule? Whenever you're ending a sentence spoken in quotation marks and you're not going to say who said it, you put a peroid. Always. I could go into a long conversation on why and how, but it's just easier to understand it this way. xP
Also, if you do this: "You may take a seat right next to Dorothy." He frowned.
You must do what I did. Do not put a comma unless you're using 'said, cried, exclaimed... etc', mkay? Good. Glad we got that cleared up. =}
As Lauren took her seat, which was two desks down from Kerry, Kerry had been eyeing the new girl curiously

Something is wrong with this sentence. Let's save it, shall we?
Take out 'As'.
Put a peroid after the first 'Kerry'.
Combine this sentence and the following one.
It now reads as, 'Lauren took her seat, which was two desks down from Kerry. Kerry had been eyeing the new girl curiously, noticing she was differnet.'
Much better, in my opinon.
She picked at her nails, which were purple and neatly trimmed.

Since you've been talking about Kerry and Lauren, it's unclear who you mean.
“I mean, come on Kerry. Poor girl is new

Try the poor girl is new.

Okay. Let's get to the actual rating, shall we?

That was really nice. I liked the story line, and how cute it was. But I hated how straightforward it was. There was a few things that you could of described better; the assembly, how the school looked, the classroom... and another thing I don't get is how you explained exactly how Lauren and Kerry looks, but not how Dorothy looks.

OVERALL:
That was cute. Too short for my liking. Try to explain more in places were more explainatoin is needed, less where less explaination is neded. Re-read it a few times; read it aloud. See how it sounds. Make it flow, and get me captured in the story.

I do want to read the next part, though. PM me when it's out. =[}

Love & Blessings,
Aushy




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 4362
Reviews: 263

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:32 am
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...



Hi Dr. Pepper! As you've requested, I will review.
So... I read the first 2 paragraphs and stopped because I've already found a problem.

I can't get over the fact that you're telling rather than showing. You're telling us "she wore this and that" and "she did this" and you're just giving us all of the information. You have to paint an image in our minds and use imagery words! Use the 5 senses!

Also, you need to write numbers in the actual word form unless it's over 100. (in stories I mean)

Since this is beginning, I suggest you hook the reader in the beginning because it sounds cliche. Senior Year? Is this High School Musical in book form? That's what the readers are thinking. You need to immediately hook the readers so they'll want to read on. You also need to somehow catch a glimpse of how it's not cliche.

Good luck writing ^^
Shina





A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.
— Mark Twain