Bubbles is Missing (Horror Story)

by DoctorClicky

I have no clue what the hell to title this story!! Here are some options: "Bubbles is Missing", "It Came For Their Pets", "Bubbles, Where Art Thou?", "Pets Are Delicious", "This Author Couldn't Think of a Title". :)

Bubbles, Where Art Thou?

Written by Ben Wood

The clouds were dim, with a fierce black. The rain poured from the sky like an enormous waterfall. The liquid thrashed upon the land heavily. The angels above must have been crying, for they feared what was going to happen.

Jamie Cracker was trapped in the disastrous storm. Her just-straightened auburn hair was now soaked. Her fair skin was damp and cold. The harsh wind blew upon her frightened face. “Bubbles! Come back!” she shouted. Bubbles was her little companion. He was a small puppy: fluffy and white. Jamie was too young to know the breed, but it didn’t matter. Bubbles was an amazing puppy to her and she dared not return home without her dog. She could hear a faint whimper in the wind.

“Bubbles!” she cried out again. Her voices were drowned out by the rain. The storm was getting worse, lightning began to strike nearby. The thunderous noise scared Jamie. She shrieked and ran home. Jamie didn’t dare look for her dog while circuits of death emerged out from the sky. She’d have to wait another day to find her beloved dog.

The next day arrived with a warming sun and one of those gentle breezes that caressed every hair on your body. There was no sign of the disastrous storm from the previous night. The birds chirped cheerfully. The grass was a brilliant green, fresh from their recent shower. Jamie’s dog was no where to be found. Several days passed, and still no Bubbles.

Jamie rang the doorbell of her neighbor, Miss Marie Mackowick. Miss Mackowick was a very kind woman who adored Jamie like a daughter. She babysat Jamie whenever her parents were out and made sure Jamie didn’t wander into trouble.

Miss Mackowick opened the door gracefully and smiled at her adorable neighbor. Miss Mackowick’s presence was glamorous. Her curly brown hair was fantabulous, and happened to match her coffee-colored eyes. Her figure was toned and slim, there was no doubt she was appealing to the common man. Perhaps what was more appealing was her ability to care for others and her gentle nature. She looked down at her precious neighbor, gazing into her eyes, “Hi Jamie, what can I do for you?”

Jamie looked glum, her voice was panicked, “Miss Mackowick! Bubbles has gone missing! Will you help me find him? My parents don’t care a bit. But I know you’d help me!”

Miss Mackowick put her hand on the girl’s shoulder, “Calm down, we’ll find him. Tell me where and when you last saw him.” Jamie explained to Miss Mackowick how the dog had run off during the storm. Miss Mackowick nodded and put a plan together. They started off with drawing signs claiming that there was a missing pet. They took crayons and made doodles of the small dog. They giggled at each other’s pictures. Miss Mackowick was quite good at calming down the poor child. The two girls walked along the street posting their home-made posters. Jamie began to enjoy herself. The sense of hope was rising in her. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t last.

Jamie returned home shortly after the last poster had been put up. Her mother was upstairs, no doubt asleep. Her father was at work, as always. Or perhaps he was at a bar. Nobody knew, and quite frankly, Jamie didn’t care. Miss Mackowick was the closest family she had.

Jamie strode into her back yard and glared at Bubble’s dog house. “Poor, poor dog! He must be all alone. You were always so cute when you slept in your doggy house,” Jamie sighed. She kept starring at the dog house. “Bubbles?” Jamie asked innocently. She starred hard, something was inside the dog house! “Bubbles!?” Jamie walked forward. It was Bubbles! Jamie dashed toward the house, “Oh Bubbles, I’m so glad you’re home!” Jamie reached inside and gave her dog a hug. Her fingers met the touch of a cold, limp body. Jamie was frozen, like a deer caught in headlights. She let out a horrifying scream. Bubbles was dead, inside the place where he once lived. His body was mutilated beyond belief. Bubbles still had a lovable expression on his face. Nonetheless, the dog was beyond dead.

Detective Marshall came over to investigate the bizarre incident. Jamie had gone over to Miss Mackowick’s house while he examined the scene.

Marshall was a young man, late twenties, with a strong build. His hair was combed into a polite fashion, with only a few strands of grey hair. He’d probably get rid of those the next day, for Marshall was a man of neatness and order. Strands of grey did not mix in with those of black.

“This is quite odd,” he told himself as he turned the dead dog onto its back. It looked as if a savage beast had torn Bubbles apart and ate him. “Poor Jamie, must have thought the dog was still alive!” There were no clues, no evidence, and no strings for Marshall to pull at. There was nothing here.

“This is too bizarre!” he exclaimed. After a double-examination he left, the mystery remaining unsolved.

Detective Marshall sat in his home, watching the nightly news. Apparently, there was an increased number of missing pets within the past few weeks. “Interesting,” Marshall thought to himself. He brushed his hand through his golden retriever’s fur. “Good thing you’re still here Superman!” Superman was the golden dog’s name. Marshall had named him after his childhood superhero. The dog was loyal and kind, Marshall was blessed to have such a great friend.

Marshall was startled by the sound of shattering glass. “The back door,” Marshall thought aloud. He quickly got up and ran toward the desk where he kept his gun. Superman followed instantly, obviously frightened by the noise.

“Must be a thief,” was Marshall’s initial reaction. He grasped his gun tightly as he ran down the main hall into the kitchen.

The glass shards were scattered about the floor. Nobody was in the room but Marshall. “Damn, he must have gone through the back hallway.” Just then, a whimper was heard from the living room. Superman’s whimper was unmistakable.

“Superman!” Marshall shouted. He returned to the living room, a figure dodged out of the way. Marshall instantly fired his gun. The bullets busted into the walls. Whatever it was dashed back out of the house through the broken window.

Marshall returned to the kitchen just as it escaped. Marshall ran outside after it. The air was dark, and whatever it was couldn’t be seen in the blindness. Marshall bit his lip, “Darn thing stole my dog!” He fired the gun in the air, “I’ll get you, you damn creature!” For whatever had taken Superman wasn’t human. Marshall didn’t get the best look at it, but he knew it was no man.

Jamie Cracker and Marie Mackowick sat in the Mackowick house quietly. They were both in tears, for Mackowick’s cat, Buttons, had also gone missing. Jamie was hysterical, while Mackowick was calm. The girls feared the worse.

“What is doing this?” Jamie asked while sobbing miserably into Mackowick’s shoulder.

“I don’t know dear, but we’ll stop it, whatever it is!” Mackowick assured the girl. She pushed back the hair from Jamie’s messy face. “We’ll stop it, Jamie, you have my word on that.”

After Jamie had fallen asleep on the couch, Miss Mackowick went to dial up Detective Marshall.

“Yes?” he replied. It had been two days since Superman had been taken and there had been no sign of him. Marshall had been trying his best to locate the beast, but was having no luck.

“Detective Marshall, this is Miss Mackowick,” she replied, “I’m here with the Cracker’s daughter, Jamie. She’s asleep right now, but I think I may be able to help you find this... this thing!”

“I’m listening,” Marshall said.

“Well we can take you to where Jamie lost her dog. Maybe there’s some significance. I believe hers pet was one of the first to go missing. I think it’d be a good idea. It’s near the Lakeview Woods. We can show you where exactly.”

Marshall paused for a moment. “Ok, meet me at the entrance in about two hours, bring Jamie. We’ll go together.” Marshall hung-up and Mackowick smiled. There was hope for justice.

ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Heyyy!! Forever here with a short review!!!

This was quite a good story. First of all I thought the creature that was stealing the pets must be an old animal but you proved me wrong. That was a great twist when you revealed the monster.

Something which I couldn't understand is why suddenly the monster kept bubbles in his own place after killing him? What was the aim of the monster? To terrify people? Seems like... And he loved pets. He loved killing pets. Like who loves killing pets and human beings without a reason. I am yet to disvover. There must be some motive behind this.

The atmosphere which you created for the story was quite suitable. I really like how the weather went with the condition of their minds. It's quite an important aspect and you nailed it.

The ending is not very justified. It feels like the ending is a bit rushed. Either expand the thing and justify why the police believed her or just write it as the monster wasn't found but a body part was maybe or maybe the whole monster was found. And also I wonder why you posted half of the story down in the comments.

The story has a sense of mystery and horror in it which I quite like.... Three of them died at last... Choose the genres tho. It's not a general story.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:11 am
bubblewrapped says...

**giggles** I thought you were talking about me for a minute there XD

Will review later if I get a chance. Looks interesting!

(sorry this isnt more helpful, slightly on the busy side today)

DoctorClicky says...

Jamie Cracker and Miss Mackowick arrived outside the woods on time. Detective Marshall was waiting nearby, with a friend. Mr. Jacob Davis. He was a local dog walker and a very friendly man. He held a small white cat in his arms. As if protecting him from evil.
“Nice to meet you, I’m Davis,” he announced as the girls stepped forward.
“Hi, um, Marie Mackowick... nice to meet you, Davis,” Mackowick replied hesitantly. She turned to Marshall, “What’s he doing here?”
Detective Marshall cleared his throat, “He has had both his dogs missing. He volunteered to help me look for this ‘thing’. I hope you don’t mind if he joins us?”
“It’s fine,” Mackowick assured him.
Jamie tugged on Davis’ shoulder, “Mr. Davis, why are you holding that kitty?”
Davis’ cheeks burned red, “Heh, well, I don’t want her to get taken. I’m keeping her near me at all times.” Jamie smiled at the response. Protection was always a beautiful thing to her. Caring and loving something so much.
“Can I hold her?” Jamie asked.
“Sure, her name is Snowflake.” Davis handed Jamie the kitty.
She stroked the kitty, “Well hi Snowflake, I’m Jamie.” Mr. Davis chuckled at the cute interaction.

“Ok, let’s get going!” Marshall announced. The group walked along the path as Jamie led the way into the woods where poor Bubbles was abducted.
As they walked, rain began to fall. The angels were crying once more. Lightning began to strike. Mr. Davis handed everyone a flashlight, he’d been well prepared. The rain had increased quite quickly; they’d only been walking a few moments when the storm had approached.
Jamie stopped, nodding her head toward the trees while still holding Snowflake. “It was over there, Bubbles had run when it started to rain.” The group scattered out and looked for anything to hint at what had happened.
An enormous bolt of lightning hit a tree. The ground shook vigorously. Perhaps the angels were sending a warning.
A small cry was heard, “Come back Snowflake!”
Miss Mackowick was stricken with fear, “Jamie must have dropped the cat! They’re running off into the woods! We can’t let her out of our sight!” The three of them ran deeper into the woods in pursuit of the young girl and the pearl-white cat known as Snowflake. Soon, darkness engulfed them. No one could see and everyone was lost in a maze of terror.

Miss Mackowick spun around in the darkness with her flashlight, “Anyone here?” She pointed the bean here and there, nobody was near by. Wait, she heard something. Small footsteps, crushing the damp leaves. She turned around and saw Detective Marshall with his gun drawn, ready to defend himself if necessary. She ran to him and hugged him, “There you are! We need to find Jamie!”
“We will, don’t worry. Keep calm Marie,” Detective Marshall held her tightly. Small footsteps were heard. They both froze in terror. Something rubbed against Miss Mackowick’s legs. She glanced down slowly. It was only Snowflake!
“Meow,” the cat cried. Miss Mackowick released her arms from Marshall and giggled as she picked up the cat.
“We’ll need to find the others. Let’s go now,” Marshall said, he kept his gun by his side and started walking. Mackowick followed.

Jamie wondered around, clueless, as she searched for Snowflake. “Kitty,” she whispered. A rustle came from a nearby bush. “Kitty!” Jamie thought. A cute smile was glued to her face. The smile of success. Jamie ran toward the bush with open arms. But when it jumped out from behind the bush, it was too late. A loud scream filled the woods.

“What was that?” Miss Mackowick cried as she searched with the flashlight.
Marshall help his gun tight, “Follow me.” They darted through the woods. The cat in Miss Mackowick’s arms hissed as they approached ran towards the recent scream.
“Ugh,” Miss Mackowick let out a grunt as she tripped. The cat skittered off. Detective Marshall walked away blindly. Miss Mackowick stumbled as she withdrew the flashlight; she shone it on the object that had tripped her.
Mr. Davis lay motionless on the ground. He was covered in scars and blood.
“Oh my god!” Mackowick gasped.
“Mackowick?” a tiny voice cried.
She looked into his eyes; he was still alive, “I’m here Mr. David, it’s ok.”
Davis groaned loudly. A pause, then he spoke, “Run, run quickly. It’s a monster, a terrible monster. Jamie is already dead. Run while you still got the chance.”
“Davis, what are you...” Mackowick stopped. “Davis?” His eyes had glazed over into coldness. Mr. Davis was dead.

Detective Marshall had headed toward the moonlight. It lit up a small patch of land in the forest. He walked cautiously toward the center of the light and looked around.
“Miss Mackowick? Where did you go?” he yelled out. The woods responded with a fierce wind.
Miss Mackowick stumbled toward the noise.
She approached the light and smiled, “I’m here.”
“Good!” Marshall said. He began to move toward her, but a furious beast emerged from the opposite side.
It was enormous. About seven feet, or so, Mackowick guessed. It had fangs and stood on two feet like a human. It had a wolf-like appearance, perhaps what one would imagine a werewolf to look like. There were claws, giant claws, which at that moment grabbed Detective Marshall.
“No!” Mackowick shrieked. She had never been so consumed with fear before. Mr. Davis had said Jamie was dead. Mr. Davis himself was dead. And here, in front of her very eyes, the brave Marshall was about to be killed by the terrible monster. Marie Mackowick hid her tears. Marshall attempted to fire his gun, but it’s somewhat hard to aim when you’re hanging from your legs by a seven foot creature. The monster threw him into a tree. The strength of the beast was amazing. Marshall flew into the trees; he dropped his gun onto the ground.
“God no,” Mackowick whispered. The rain washed the blood away from his body. Detective Marshall was dead.

Miss Mackowick starred into the beast’s eyes. They were red, dark, and fearless. Mackowick spotted the gun on the ground. The glare of the monster pierced through her soul. The fear was overwhelming... She was doomed. She’d never see her friends or family again. Jamie was gone, Marshall was gone. All was lost...
No, Miss Mackowick couldn’t give up. The beast took a small step forward. Mackowick knew it was now or never. She grasped the gun from the ground and stood back up. The monster was motionless. She starred into the beast’s evil eyes. She’d never used a gun before, but now was as good a time to learn as any. Mackowick took a deep breath.
The monster bent its knees and leaped forward. Mackowick closed her eyes as the gun whistled. The bullet struck the beast and he stumbled backwards. She opened her eyes; the beast lay still on the ground. Miss Mackowick had allayed the bizarre creature. She turned around and began to walk away. The quicker she got out of here, the better. As soon as she was facing the other way, something briskly touched her legs. Fear tingled down her spine. “Meow,” cried Snowflake. She laughed hysterically. Marie Mackowick picked up the cat and ran toward the outskirts of the woods. Relief would flood back into when she was home, safe and sound in her room.

Miss Marie Mackowick had a hard time explaining things to the police. For when they got to the scene, the monster was no longer there. They knew she wasn’t capable of such destruction and assumed she had freaked out and gone mad.
Only she knew the truth. She takes care of Snowflake now, the cute white cat. It comforts her and keeps her calm. For everyday she fears the beast will return and strike again.

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill