What do you think? Just a short piece.

by DisposableHero

Her limp body was thrown carelessly upon the cold, hard cement, devoured by the unforgiving world. An image that is etched into my disturbed mind. The violent red blood that covered her, highlighted how pale, how lifeless, her once animated face had become. The tears flooded down my damaged cheeks like little rain drops as I stared at her in shame and utter disbelief. Crowds of grief stricken people surrounded the car, a car which I once considered a great thing. A symbol of maturity. Pathetic. I heard the siren ringing in my ears and took my last look at her, the blood drenching me, the heartache that would forever consume me, just beginning to rear its ugly face. It was obvious what they were thinking. They were continually asking themselves, asking God, why it had been I that survived. I was asking myself the same question. I wish they knew that.

Twenty prolonged years later, I carry the same burden. I still hate myself. I still blame myself. The weekly visit sends a searing pain throughout me every time confusion takes her over and she asks me who I am. She sits in this white, grim place that she is expected to call home, staring through a small window that so violently separates her from the real world. A world that she used to love. A world that I used to love. Her emotionless stare consumes every ounce of me, she might as well be dead. She is dead, isn’t she?

It’s amazing how one moment of recklessness can destroy your life completely. Bet you would never expect anything so tragic, so disastrous to happen to you, let alone your best friend. I know I didn’t. The one who knew it all, your favorite flavor ice cream, your worst nightmare, the secrets that you thought you could never utter to another human being, you told her. We had headed down the motorway, with the vibrant, orange horizon promising us everything that we had ever imagined. I pressed down on the accelerator with a fierce urgency, the adrenalin and speed increasing with each moment. She told me to stop. I didn’t. I didn’t stop.

I sit in this god forsaken place, talking to her. We do talk, but I doubt she’s really listening. Her laugh has dissolved along with her personality, along with her beauty, along with me, for I am nothing now. An empty canvas sits in front of me, waiting for someone to color her in. She just wants some color in her life again. I cringe as the door creeks and her mother enters slowly. Her bloodshot eyes tell it all. A weary smile is flashed my way, but she still cannot bring herself to look straight at me. It’s not like I even deserve this much. She takes out an old, tattered photo album which I recognize. In front of me sit two teenage beauties with stars in their eyes, with color in their cheeks, with hope and possibility brimming out of their genuine smiles. A hot, bitter tear falls upon the photo as I begin to shake again, remembering all that we used to be.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:49 am
DisposableHero says...

kitty15 wrote:Hey there and welcome!

This piece is full of raw emotions and it's very well written. The one thing I would say is that it's not the most unique of pieces and I was kind of hoping for a twist like maybe it wasn't really your persona who was driving.

Other than that though it was brilliant and I only found a few typos/mistakes -

Her limp body was thrown carelessly upon the cold, hard cement , devoured by the unforgiving world. Here, there shouldn't be a space between cement and the comma.]

They were continually asking themselves, asking god, why it had been I that survived. [color=blue] I think God should probably have a capital letter here.

We had headed down the motorway, with the orange, vibrant, horizon promising us everything that we had ever imagined. I think it sounds better if you have it as vibrant, orange horizon and yeah that last comma isn't necessary.

Altogether a very good piece. Good job.

Thanks! I'll try to make more twists the next time and I will fix the typos now. =)

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 am
Rydia wrote a review...

Hey there and welcome!

Her limp body was thrown carelessly upon the cold, hard cement , devoured by the unforgiving world. Here, there shouldn't be a space between cement and the comma.

They were continually asking themselves, asking god, why it had been I that survived. I think God should probably have a capital letter here.

Altogether a very good piece. Good job.

DisposableHero says...

BrokenSword wrote:I really liked this. Your writing style is engaging and I was interested in the story from the start.

Crowds of grief stricken parents surrounded the car

This kind of confused me, because it makes it sounds like a lot of young people were killed. I think it sounds better as "crowds of grief stricken people".

why it was me who had survived.

I think it sounds better as "why it had been I".

An empty canvas sits in front of me, waiting for someone to color her in.

This was my favorite line.

Also, I think you need a title! :D

Thank you! I'll go edit those sentences now.

DisposableHero says...

Sam wrote:Hey, DisposableHero!

I like your writing style very much- it's emotional, but very beautiful and flows without a hitch. You have an interesting conflict, too, which is always nice to see. :D

The problem I have with critiquing pieces like this is usually that, perhaps, it's something that the person wrote to express feelings or help themselves heal. Who am I to tell people, "Your feelings suck" or "Your memories are bland and unrealistic?"?

...well, I'm not much of an authority on the matter. The golden rule is thus: even if you're just writing something out of instinct and emotion, you still want to get something out of it.

KNOW WHAT TO EXAGGERATE: The thing in this piece that struck me was how...depressing it was. It wasn't a good depressing in some parts, though- it some parts, it was kind of comical.

I heard the siren ringing in my ears and took my last look at her, the blood drenching me, the heartache that would forever consume me, just beginning to rear its ugly face.

Don't personify emotions. Emotions that are eating away at things aren't good, either- that would make it fantasy. You don't want fantastic elements in a realistic fiction story.

MAKE SURE YOUR CHARACTERS ARE INTERESTING AND UNIQUE: There are a lot of stories in which a person is wrongly injured and another feels guilty, and they angst about it. You want your story to stick out, right? That's where character development comes in. It's uber-important. Plots can be recycled, but original characters are what makes a story tick.

Characters are also important so that you can figure out how they would react to stressful situations like the one you depicted in your story. When things are realistic, everyone is happy. :wink:

___

I wish you luck, DisposableHero! Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions, or want me to take a look at something else.

Thanks so much for all the advice, I definately agree with it. I did write it on impulse and I am constantly writing about depressing things. I can't seem to write anything decent that actually has a happy ending. The problem probably is that the majority of time, I write because I feel crap and it's like a distraction. It's pretty much my first piece of work ever besides my daily diary entries, lol. I'm rambling now..but thanks again. =)

BrokenSword wrote a review...

I really liked this. Your writing style is engaging and I was interested in the story from the start.

why it was me who had survived.

This was my favorite line.

Also, I think you need a title! :D

Sam wrote a review...

Hey, DisposableHero!

___

Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury