Nostalgia

by Dipro

Messy, Incomplete, painful and yet in the most obscure of ways, beautiful and precious.

May that be the parting smile of your closest friend, the stifled words of a dying man, it promises to leave a mark. Sometimes the lethal ruins of a hungry wound and sometimes a glistening teardrop on the cheek of time. A strange recipe: guilt,memories, hope and God help what not. 

Nostalgia is an universal taste.It is there for all - who made it and for whom it was made for. It is the indelibility of what could have been and the afterglow of what was.

Nostalgia is the refuge of our secret grief and truimph.In a way,it almost always allows us a measure of control over the Inevitability of change.There is a sense of Eternity in nostalgia.Seconds in Eternity.Forgotten names and lost years persisting against the currents of time to linger in our memories.When the future deserts you, you turn to the past and in there,you unearth the life not lived. It tinges your heart with an inescapable,aching melancholia.Truth plays no part in nostalgia.It is a faded old relic there,in the realm of remembrances and memory lanes.In there we can finally escape it's echoes.A sacred seclusion.

You feel nostalgic about the weirdest of stuff - hours of rigid boredom,fractured families,your obsolete tv set.We hold to each piece of our self do tightly.Nostslgia is the poigant rite of passage for each piece we are forced to forsake.The past is done with us,but we are not done with it.Sunlight streaming in through ratty curtains to light your dusty attic.A motley group of friends chatting in the hazy class afternoons.First loves lying under the quiet night, content in simply dreaming away the world.

Nostalgia is a perspective too.A choice to stop and relish what we have had.Its somewhere where we can be comfortable in our own smallness,and yet be faintly amazed at the vastness of the life we have already lived. To just feel enough for a moment.It seems strange that a society so enamoured with the future,nostalgia has grown so essential to us.The emptiness of a winter night,the smoke rising from your pipe and trailing off into the open air.Nostalgia can be denial of the future but also acceptance of the past.It doesn't really matter.

Whatever may prompt it, nostalgia is generally pretty awesome guilty pleasure while It lasts

Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:07 am

Hi Dipro! What an interesting topic to tackle for an article.

The beginning of this piece almost sounded like you were setting up a poetry / article hybrid perhaps. One of my very favorite poetry topics is nostalgia - because as you say it's bittersweet and I think it's an emotion that many can connect deeply to. Just a few words of feedback on your article:

> You've got a great knack for word choice! I love that you used some words like "indelibility" and "afterglow" and "melancholia" - as well as phrases like "sacred seclusion" those are unexpected and original and bring such a deeper sense to your writing by searching out just the right specific word to get at what you're writing about. Well done! One note is that I think your final line, "awesome" is maybe not quite the right word there; it doesn't feel like what the article is setting up for the conclusion at the end, and to me didn't quite fit. Just my opinion there though!

> A quick formatting note; you'll want to probably add a space after each piece of end puncutation and after every comma. This is conventional in English writing and I think will give reader's less pause / making your work flow even better. For instance after "To just feel enough for a moment.It seems strange" you really need a space after "moment." I also noticed quite a few times you cut a sentence in half -> it's sometimes a bit of a grammatical test to learn about complete sentences, and you might want to try posting your work in something like "Word" first to check if each sentence is a complete one. Again that's just to give your reader an easier time getting your ideas that you're presenting.

> Finally, I like the specifics that you brought to the piece that made the article feel more personal, like the sunlight and attic! That gave me a sort of nice "Awe!" sense as I was reading it, and I think could be brought in even more prominently in that first paragraph. For an article with a topic like nostalgia I think you want it to feel personal. Don't be afraid to use "I" or speak about your own experience directly. This isn't a good technique necessarily in a scientific or heavy research essay, but for a creative emotional article it really does give the reader another connection point with which to understand your writing and may even give it more weight / authenticity.

Keep on writing! And let me know if you had any questions about my review. :)

alliyah

Dipro says...

Thank You. I like the tip about writing about the first person. Have a good day !

Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:07 am

First Impression: This is a lovely little piece here. Its such a simple idea to explore but you do a really good job of really going in depth to it, not just the common vision of it, but every part of it including the uglier bits until we come to that eventual beautiful conclusion.

Ooooh this is a really beautiful and powerful way to paint nostalgia here, looked up not in the normal sense of a simple happy memory but more of what seems to be a much more tragic note. It certainly drags us in quite quickly to the idea of this piece.

Oooh I love how deep this is diving into the feelings that tend to hide behind nostalgia. It feels so powerful to have all of this slowly being laid out like this. Its a refreshing difference to how quite often there's a rather rose tinted vision to nostalgia. This feels more raw and more real and as a result its so much more powerful as a message.

Ohh I love how you turn it around here. By establishing all of those things that could be considered to be the sadder side of this first and then switching to how important nostalgia can be and how powerful it is as a force for good works even better and ultimately I think it all comes together beautifully in this piece.

Overall: Overall I think this is a lovely piece here. Its got a rather powerful message presented in a very simple form and that's the best sort of combination to get your message across like this.

Dipro says...

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing such a lovely and detailed review.Have a good day !

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!

The best and most beautiful things in the world can not be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
— Helen Keller