Hush-hush truth about my Blues

by DiannePan

By clicking “submit” I enter a chunk of hush-hush truth about myself with this story.

Funny, my thoughts always seem to be caught in-between clichés; that is, when I feel blue. Everyone feels blue for a majority of reasons over a period of time, it happens. And when one feels blue they look for rose tinted glasses, or something. See another cliché there? Pff, I know. Loser.

My reason to feel blue is laughable and I will never say it out loud to the people I know. I hesitate to write these squiggles we call letters, that form things we call words and then morph into a powerful mediate between mind and people. I remind myself I’m under a false name here so no one will know who I really am. This sentence you’re reading right now was deleted four times. I’m really embarrassed. Let’s slow down.

It’s a light drizzle outside and everything is dripping with grey. My words feel colorless and the buttons I press on the keyboard make hollow sounds. I’m trying to exit the cliché mode to let at least one person out there know the truth and nothing else, no pompous adjectives or big words I learnt while cramming for SAT.

So, here’s the deal. I am as average as one gets, and obviously, as such status entitles I tell myself that I’ve got something special about me. Haha; you have no idea how blue I’m feeling right now. I guess showing your vulnerable side to people is always scary. I waited a long pause before I wrote the sentence you’re reading now.

What makes me feel blue? Well, I write. And see, I take art classes and I’m pretty good. But there are some people beyond phenomenal around me in visual arts, and the thing is, I don’t really mind. I often wish that my school offered Creative Writing as a course because then I’d excel in all of the requirements mirrored from my art class: constant research, “sketches”, drafts, completed pieces, comparisons of different “artists”, emulation of the skills, analyzing of the texts. I’d really care, I’d really put an effort. In art, I care, but only at some times, and I do not feel as inspired doing it. We’re getting close to my inner demon now…

It kind of ties everything down to this: yes, I’m average; but I always hope that my writing will get me somewhere, that I’m good, that I got this vein in me. I have an A+ in English Higher level, that ought to mean something. But it doesn’t. Right now I feel that I am a boasting, self delusional little person out here caught in between clichés. In between thousands of words and overly generative imagination. I’m out here (gesticulates to the space around) and my great writers vein is not really here (points at the area of the heart) but in my traitorous (lays a hand on top of the head) mind. My eyes are parched as I simply feel a crushing resignation. Now you know.

I’m planning to take a Management course in University, I have all the requirements. But sometimes, after watching the courageous J.K Rowling’s interviews, just sometimes, I harbor hope in my way with words to create worlds efficient enough to accommodate thousands of people’s minds. And then I think a little harder, and fall a little further in a pool of blue.

I read a lot and try over and over again, but somehow I know it’s just a fairytale I created for myself. I tried to be genuine writing this, not like a story, but like a letter. In the end this turned out like a story; but then again, ‘What is truer than truth? A story’-This proverb, one of those little things that are piled in my little fairytale.

Thank you for reading this, I think by now you know it means a lot to me. But then again, I’m just DiannePan, a fictitious person behind a screen. Smile.

Nutty wrote a review...

Hey DiannePan.

First of all- thank you for sharing with everyone, it's insightful and something that I, at least, can relate entirely. While I hope and wish to make some kind of contribution to the literary world, it is intimidating to see what an author has to come up against, to the point of near hopelessness.

Second of all, I could tell this was hard for you, because well- you pointed it out, multiple times. The points you made about the sentences were quite clever, though they refer to themselves as the sentence in question. Because the sentence itself provides no real information, sensitive or not, they don't quite make sense, if you know what I mean?

For instance:

This sentence you’re reading right now was deleted four times.

Because at the time of reading this sentence I was reading this particular sentence, you are effectively telling me you wrote out "This sentence you’re reading right now was deleted four times. " and deleted it four times. While possible, it is improbable given the circumstances. You may consider making the subject a different sentence- such as "The sentence you have just read" or "The sentence you are about to read".

Same goes for the one about "pausing before writing this sentence."

Other than that minor fault I could find, I think you have a genuine and rateable little piece. It is genuine because it feels unpolished, but thought out. I could almost feel the time poured into it, staring at the screen, unsure what to write. This is good, it gave me the idea that I could relate to you and feel what you were feeling while you were writing it- whether what I felt is anything close, I can't know. But what's important is I felt that I did.

And lastly- I sincerely hope you find a safe haven here, with the members of YWS- we are all struggling writers, hoping against hope to get published and make some kind of influence on the literary world. It's helped me over the years, so I hope it helps you just as much.

Good luck, hope you find some happiness.

-Nutty

I wish literally anything else I ever said made it into the quote generator.
— CowLogic