z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

fragile

by DevanEWilliams


I am a brittle, broken girl     

My body's made of glass

The pain that's chiseled on my face

Can never seem to pass   

The monster pulls me down too deep

The sky has disappeared

The whispers of despair and loss

Is all that I can hear

 Its claws grip hard around my wrist

And I am frozen still

It's stolen my voice and cracked my lungs   

It's shattered all remaining will

I'm cracked and chipped and damaged

It's more than I can take, 

But if I try to pull away

Then I will surely break.

Attention: You have a saved draft of a comment to this work. Click here to load it.

Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 723
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:59 am
ksow wrote a review...



I love how you wrote this. You have Brilliant rhyming skills and a beautiful selection of words. The meaning of this poem really has a deep meaning that is sure to stay with the reader.

"The monster pulls me down too deep"

I take that as a metaphor for the negativity from people around you and the negativity, and cruelty that you appoint to yourself.

"Its claws grip hard around my wrist"

I take that this line represents self harm.

"It's stolen my voice and cracked my lungs"

I take this line to mean that you've become afraid to speak up and talk to people, making you anti-social, afraid of what other people will think of you and judge you.

"But if I try to pull away

Then I will surely break."

I believe that this line means that that the alternative is much worse than the current state and place you are in currently.

Overall very well written, please do write more.
-K




User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 918
Reviews: 19

Donate
Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 pm
wamdog321 wrote a review...



I think this it great. I love the personification. You need to put in the first sentence I am a fragile,brittle girl. I told you to put that so your title makes more sense. In the fourth sentence after the word pass you need to me so it is a proper sentence. Then in the next sentence you need to put "The monster pulls me down. Other than that it is great. love the flow.




User avatar


Points: 315
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:53 pm
zswa says...



I really like this poem, the concept is used very often but I liked the use of words in this one. Something I really liked was the end where you said if you pull away you will surely break




User avatar
1259 Reviews


Points: 18178
Reviews: 1259

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:41 pm
Firestarter wrote a review...



Hi DevanEWilliams,

My favourite part of this poetry was the flow: you have an eye for rhythm and it shone in this piece. Usually one of the first things I have to say on YWS is to point how much a poem does not flow and how it reads badly but you picked the right teams to write a new line and it shows.

The only line that did break the flow a little is this one:

It's shattered all remaining will


The word "remaining" really breaks the rhythm you have going and I suggest rewording this line.

Otherwise, I found that some of the language you used was a little too plain and straightforward. The idea of a monster pulling someone down too deep is a very overused idea and I think you can come up with something more creative. The problem is that its the main metaphor in this poem and therefore this did not resonate me overly.

I enjoyed the line "It's stolen my voice and cracked my lungs", especially the idea about lungs cracking. But many of your other lines are fairly boring, or they are awkward because the attempt to fit into your rhymes. Lines like "Then I will surely break" or "Is all that I can hear" are oddly written because you are desperately forcing an idea in to fit a rhyme. Try and be more creative if you want to use rhyme and make sure you do not have awkwardly written rhymes.

Otherwise, good job, this is one of the better efforts I've read on this site recently.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 472
Reviews: 17

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:21 pm
Hope19 wrote a review...



Very Good. I enjoyed it. It was very dramatic and it was pierced with darkness. I normally don't use that. lol. Anyway, the story was very good indeed. I find it to be a relatable story. I think people can relate to the girl in the story. The hurt she was feeling is very in depth. Good job!

Since this a review, I need to point out some things. You can't use 'And' or 'But' in a front of a sentence. It makes it a dependent clause. It can't be a dependent clause. I thought I let you. Well that's all. Keep writing!

Hope. :)




Random avatar

Points: 266
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:15 pm
resonance says...



The intense imagery successfully portrays the profundity of the narrator's state of mind. It pin-points the feelings of "despair and loss" and causes the reader to experience these emotions first-hand. On a personal note, this poem resonated with what I felt upon loosing a loved one. You're truly gifted! Keep writing away!




User avatar


Points: 244
Reviews: 2

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:36 pm
arus wrote a review...



I love this poem!!!!! The descriptions are really, and I mean really good. I mean: My body's made of glass? I would call that amazing description and that is one of the worst ones! I can really relate and I have thought all of this, just less descriptive. I can't believe how perfect you made this and please, never start writing.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 672
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 pm
ccar wrote a review...



It flows across the tong really well it has a very emotional feeling and good wording. Is The setting about a girl having nightmares because the part about monsters makes me think that it is a nightmare. It also makes me think about a song from the movie into the woods and the way it is written also makes me think of another poem that i wrote in school one thing you could add. would be using the word the a little bit less but besides that it is a very heartwarming and heartbreaking story if you write any more poems or stories I would like to read them.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 533
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:30 pm
mspa wrote a review...



I felt the same way a year ago. This poem is how everyone feels somewhere in their life. I think that having inspiration from what's happening right then is a good way to start a poem or book. I like how its fiction but its what's also happening in our head. I like the how the monster grabbed your wrist, why I like that is because its sounds like your parents are being mean to you and the monster is your parents.




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 533
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:26 pm
mspa says...



I felt the same way a year ago. This poem is how everyone feels somewhere in their life. I think that having inspiration from what's happening right then is a good way to start a poem or book. I like how its fiction but its what's also happening in our head.




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 672
Reviews: 8

Donate
Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:21 pm
ccar says...



I like it it flows across the tong easily and it very emotional





If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke