Yolk's on Me (1)

by Dest

I'm super thankful for all the feedback the initial stages of Yolk's on Me received!

If you want to read Yolk's on Me, this story is now on Amazon, here!

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Dest!

I see you've requested a review in the forum, so I've come along to review both parts one and two that you've posted :)

Even with literal egg on my face, yolk dribbling down my chin, the most shameful damning thing is she was right.

As usual, I’m optimistic, foolish, and oh-so-gallantly stupid. Maybe the yellow yolk can fertilize my skin, grow me into something less desperate to please? I doubt it.

Brenda, the nicest one in the group, flashes me a quick half-smile. It’s pained and fleeting, but it’s an act of comfort to wipe away a bit of the embarrassment. She’s student body president, so it makes sense she has to be nice to everyone.

I really like the way you've started this. Your main character has a very strong narrative voice that's already feeling relatable and easy to read. Not an easy thing to accomplish in a matter of sentences so good job.

Even with the noise of a century

That's an odd expression, and I don't quite understand what you mean by it.

“Well, tad-dah.” I jump up and fling my arms out. “That’s my trick. You all get the point. I was supposed to catch them, but yolk’s on me,” I speak first, smiling big. Who knew three eggs could cause this much damage? I guess those chickies got their revenge after all.

This is starting to get a bit too cryptic for me. I'm intrigued as to what's been going on with the eggs, but this all seems very vague.

“Listen, girl. You’re like too much. You come flying in with a mini dozen of eggs at our lunch table with this ‘more news tonight at 7’ journalist’s voice” and a bonafide circus act.” Gracie spreads her arms out, waving them in a circular motion to illustrate my too-muchness. “But in a good way. Like, you’re on some I don’t give a –“

This captures perfectly how teenagers speak - I love it!

I know, I know I never learn. Another thing Mama always says: if attention’s a big, shiny dress, then Mauve wants to wear it.

This is a wonderful line to end on and I think it encapsulates the whole piece perfectly. I really liked Mauve as a character and I'm interested to see where you take part two. She's very likeable with her eager attitude, but I get how that can come off as too keen (especially when it involves juggling some eggs to get attention). I am a little surprised she wasn't better at the whole juggling thing given who her parents are but I guess nerves get the best of all of us.

As Perks said in the other review, I'm curious as to whether the other students are POC. It became a little hard to keep track of who was who with all the introductions and descriptions of their parents & families. Just a little watch out for future reference.

Anyway, I hope this helped and I'll be heading over to part two now!

Icy

Dest says...

Thanks again for the feedback! Super helpful

Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:58 pm
keystrings wrote a review...

Hello there! Thanks for requesting a review, and I hope this helps.

Mauve seems like an interesting character here, with how she seems a lot bit awkward and unsure of how to interact with teenagers her own age. I'm guessing she's an upperclassman, either junior or senior based on her comments about Brenda's friends being friendly despite being a year younger (as they're juniors not seniors.)

She's pretty relatable, in trying to figure out how to get some attention, even while doing something that didn't sound like a great plan, such as juggling eggs? I do wish this story wasn't so cryptic at the beginning though, as the whole reason for the eggs isn't explained until one of the last paragraphs of the entire first part of the story.

The other characters in here are quite cute! I find the first mentioned couple pretty cute, especially that Gracie is the more curse-using ompared to Joel being both an athlete/jock and the son of a pastor. Interesting little contrast there. Brenda seems sweet and happy to try to help, despite only what I can assume the many responsibilities to being Class President.

I like that we're given the descrptions of eye color/hair color (especially the detail of Brenda's braids), but I am curious if the rest of the friend group are also POC, as their skin tones don't seem to be indicated in any way.

Why I'm curoius is mostly because Mauve and Brenda are Black, and that their first meeting was discussing opportunites to promote programs for African-American students. That's really admirable on Brenda's part, and even Mauve's as well, as even in she's trying to get into the "popular" side of thigns, she's still going to be helping out others.

I thought this worked really nice! The teenagers conversing seemed pretty realistic, as well as how parents can influence their children, including getting a bit of insight into Mauve's character and her motivations. Nicely done!

Dest says...

Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate it! Mauve%u2019s actually a sophomore. ^^

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:46 pm
MadilynReads wrote a review...

Yes! I love it. The character development is great and so far I am loving Mauve. Sometimes I get annoyed when a story is in first person and the character talks to the reader, but you pull it off well. I think that her need for attention and ways of getting it are comical and relatable. I especially like your opening and the way it slowly introduces why she has an egg on her face, it makes it engaging! Overall great story. Can’t wait to read more!

Dest says...

Thank you! I%u2019m so glad to hear that. I was concerned about Mauve coming off as unlikable. ^^

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci