Dreaded Dinner Party Chapter 3.5

by Dest

Chapter 3.5

Curi had monologues in her head a lot, sometimes in praise or criticism. No one knew how many one-sided conversations she had. She liked herself very much, but she wished she didn't overthink things. She couldn't stop second-guessing her conversations with the poster-boy of friendliness, Toki. The Digis were terrible but she couldn't do anything aside from silently disliking them. Her temper was short with Cooleo for the smallest things and she always ended up regretting it. He was not the worst boy in the world. Great. Now, I’m berating myself.

She pulled at her cheeks, the perfect way to clear her thoughts and make her face hurt. Her face was still round and made her look too young. Physically not much had changed. Maybe she had grown an inch, but she had always been tall. What needed to change was her mentality. Trying to be an outgoing person was a lost cause because she behaved better as herself. But, increasing her assertiveness was a realistic goal. Too often she watched events play out around her and blended into the background. She needed to learn to speak up more.

With a sigh, she slumped in her velvet bean bag chair. She had moved her pile of dirty clothes elsewhere, leaving the chair free to sit on. Overthinking and distractions were her two biggest vices. Before rehearsing her flaws, she had been in her room, writing a book report for school. She stared at her lined paper, ignoring her doodle of food by the margin, and scribbled a quick conclusion. The paper could lay on her chair until it was time for Mom to read it.

I am done!

Curi stretched her legs, put her pencil in her pencil jar, and walked across the room to her closet. Throwing the off-white wooden door open, she scrutinized her clothes. On Saturday mornings, she had a volunteer job to rack up hours for college. Because the job had a dress code, she usually chose her clothes the day before.

She set a pair of slim black pants on her unmade bed and looked for a shirt next. A long-sleeved lavender, cotton blouse caught her eye. She pressed the blouse to her chest and reviewed her look at her stand-up mirror. If she smiled from the right angle, she looked almost like the woman at the post office. Ophelia had been wearing lavender the day she introduced herself, but she probably looked beautiful in any color. Well, I look beautiful in lavender too, Curi thought pleasantly. When she wasn't criticizing, she could make herself feel pretty good.

“La-la-lavender,” Curi hummed. She hung her shirt up and slung the black pants on the closet door.

Her bedroom door opened and Mom's head peeked in.“Girl! Are you done with your report? I hear you singing and all.” Curi could detect her slight disapproval even before she frowned. “If you're done come and eat lunch.”

“Sorry, Mom I finished the report.” Curi nodded with meekness and smiled. “I was humming by the way, not singing.”

Mom rolled her eyes and waved her daughter off, “Same thang.” She went down the hall to her son's room.

Of course, Mom had left her door open. Her mom actually shutting her door didn't seem like a change that was going to happen.

“Really?” Curi sighed but only the door was there to hear her.

-------

This is really short! I'm trying to show more of Curi's thought process and personality. 

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hi there! Ooh short chapter this time - I'll be able to do more today than I thought.

Nit-picks:

Great. Now, I am berating myself.

It seems unlikely that she wouldn't say "I'm" here given that it's thoughts in her own head.

Too often she watched events play out around her and blended into the background. She did not like to draw attention to herself, but she needed to learn to speak up.

I'm not sure about this but this sounds a bit too personal to be in third person. Honestly, I'm thinking this story would make an awful lot of sense in first person. It's so much in Curi's head, and growing more and more to be her thoughts about herself, which sounds really odd with the narrative voice being someone looking on.

“I was “humming” by the way, not singing.”

I don't think humming needs quotation marks.

Character: So, obviously we get more about Curi's thoughts and personality here, and you do it fairly well. Maybe don't always spell it out so logically. If she's someone in the middle of her teens who's kind of insecure and doesn't really know what she's doing, it seems unlikely she would be able to express so clearly what she's feeling, and be able to relate so exactly (and calmly) her flaws.

Secondly, this is the kind of stuff it would be good to integrate with the other events of the story, rather than a pretty still moment plot-wise where it's just Curi thinking. To be fair though, you're usually fine with this. I wouldn't have said it was something you particularly needed to work on.

Setting: Some nice details sprinkled in.

Plot: Obviously very little happens here, but you're aware of this.

Apologies this review is so short, but I guess it fits the size of the chapter,
Biscuits :)

Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 pm
rosette wrote a review...

Hello again, Dest!
I see you're editing and chopping up Dreaded Dinner Party into halves of chapters and such, so I thought I'd give this a review.

I love how you're trying to show more of Curi's thoughts and personality. I, the reader, can obtain more of an idea of what she's like, why she does things, why she says things, etc., etc. Simple dialogue and actions really doesn't enhance a story, so I'm liking the route you're taking. You've also, I noticed, described Curi's physical appearance a little bit more and yay! to that. : )

I really did not see much of a problem with this short little segment: the plot is good and understandable and I liked how you mentioned Ophelia once more as a little reminder; Curi's stressing, I would be, too. The only few minor details that caught my eye were well, what else but Grammar Errors! (I know, I know, meet pkid)

In the first paragraph you have this whole section beginning with "She" which bothered me a bit. I totally recommend you begin a couple of the sentences with a different word - first, let me show you:

She liked herself very much, but she wished she didn't overthink things. She couldn't stop second-guessing her conversations with the poster-boy of friendliness, Toki. She did not like the Digis but couldn't do anything aside from silently disliking them. She got mad at Cooleo for the smallest things and always ended up regretting it.

Do you see? If you have this huge process of sentences beginning with the same word it kind of throws off the effect sometimes. In this case, well, you know what I'd do!

She hung her shirt up and slang the black pants on the closet door.

This is an amusing statement! But slang should be slung.
Okay. I know. Not major, but I noticed...

Her Mom actually shutting her door back didn't seem like a change that was going to happen.

I found this wording a little awkward... I think you could take that back out.

So, this sums up all I have to say! Short and simple, but hey, no harm in that. : ) Keep up the good work, Dest!
adieu,

-TheKid

Dest says...

Thanks pkidchick! I honestly could not figure out if it was slang or slung, so thanks for pointing out the right one. I will do some more revising.

rosette says...

Welcomes!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 am
Squirtlepowiee wrote a review...

Hello! Squirtlepowiee here for another review!
“Curi monologued in her head a lot, sometimes in praise or criticism. No one knew how many one-sided conversations she had. She liked herself very much, but she wished she didn't overthink things. She couldn't stop second-guessing her conversations with the poster-boy of friendliness, Toki. She did not like the Digis but couldn't do anything aside from silently disliking them. She got mad at Cooleo for the smallest things and always ended up regretting it. He was not the worst boy in the world. Great. Now, she had turned to berating herself.” In this entire paragraph, I wasn’t sure where she was talking to herself and which part was just a side note. Maybe a bit clearer or italicizing her thoughts? Also, monologued is not a word.

“What needed to change was mental.” This is a funky sentence. Rephrase to, “What she needed, or more accurately, wanted to change was her [mental state, mentality, how she thought].”

“I am done!” she said aloud.” There is nothing wrong with this sentence, but it is better if you are more formal in writing and less in dialogue. This means that when someone isn’t speaking, you can write I am or would not, stuff like that. But in dialogue, informal speech is more natural, unless in certain situations.

“Mom rolled her eyes and waved her daughter off, “Same thang.” Did you mean thing?

“Her Mom actually shutting her door back didn't seem like a change that was going to happen.” In the previous sentence, she refers to her mom as “Mom”. This is a proper noun. In this sentence, a proper noun is not used, so “Her mom” would be sufficient enough.

Overall, great story. I recommend running it through a spell check to check for mistakes. It can save you from going back later. I love the plot and how you wrote the story. Remember when to use proper nouns and when they don’t need to be used. I hope I wasn’t too harsh in my review. Please keep writing!
~Greetings from Squirtlepowiee :D

Dest says...

Thanks, Squirtlepowiee (pokemon fan?) for your review. You made some great points, and you weren't harsh at all. I will make those changes. ^^
By the way, Curi's mom is a southerner, so she speaks a bit country at times.

Ohhh! Thanks for clearing that up! And yes, pokemon fan xD

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon