Curi and the Dream Boy Ch.1 pt 1

by Dest

Chapter One

Curi knew she was dreaming. She just simply had to be.

This windy terrain, so much unlike her bedroom, ruffled at her clothes. The clouds were fluffy and the sky a mellow blue color. Clear fields of yellows and aqua greens and what looked like a mountain were in the distance. She glanced downward as her red-tipped sneakers parted through the green grass.

Before she could explore her surroundings, she felt as if someone was watching her. Curi noticed someone was beside her, a boy. His face looked familiar but his clothing looked strange. His skin was brown with a mole above his upper lip, and he had hair with shaved sides. The slight gap between his two front teeth gave him a youthful appearance despite an angular face. The wind fluttered his black jacket with teal accents though his baggy harem-like pants stayed static.

Slowly, as if someone placed the last remaining piece to her puzzle, she recognized him. This boy had been in her dreams lately. Every time she would try to focus on his dark eyes, she would abruptly wake up. This time, however, she had been granted the chance to truly see him.

She had to have been gawking because she felt as if his expression teasingly said, “Are you done staring?”

His gaze was as mischievous as hers was searching. The stroke of his brow raised upward and his smirk widened.

She opened her mouth to say something, not exactly sure what, but the words never came. To her surprise, the boy had disappeared. She reached her hand out towards him, but only touched air.

------

"Oof!"

She tumbled out of bed, an array of tangled limbs. Her arms were sprawled in front of her, and one leg still hung on the bed frame. She lay on her chest on the floor.

Curi woke up a bit disappointed. This boy she had deemed Dream Boy had been a reoccurring part of her dream life. Each dream seemed to end the same: he would make a face at her and then she would see his startlingly-beautiful eyes. Most of her dream she directed her attention to the dream boy and the whimsical surroundings. The more aware she became of the boy's presence the more she would try to explore the dream setting.

Once her parents had thrown their final extravagant dinner party, the dreams started. Her party-animal parents had called it quits on future parties, and in the absence of them, they had started trying to write their own movie.

A part of Curi thought her dreams were influenced by her mentor and her watching so many fantasy movies. Despite the irony, Curi had become close to Ophelia who had sabotaged her parents' party. Somewhere between the months, the young woman had decided to take her underneath her tutelage. In a way, she owed her for being the reason these parties were canceled. She couldn’t exactly explain when the young woman had become her mentor and something of a family friend. Their relatively new closeness still didn't mean Curi understood all of Ophelia's thinking or like how flaky and selfish she could be at times.

Curi shrugged her shoulders and pulled her bonnet off, ready to start her day. It was already 10 o'clock on a Saturday morning, and she had slept three hours longer than intended. Not that it really mattered to her because Saturday morning cartoons weren't a big thing nowadays.

She closed her eyes, remembering the dream boy's face for a moment. Wasting no more time, she headed to the kitchen. The kitchen area seemed relatively quiet, and the only telltale sign anyone had been there before her was bacon sizzling in the skillet.

"Mom…Dad?" She called out softly.

Emerging from their room, her parents walked into the kitchen area.

"Aucuria, it's about time you get up! I wanted to ask you earlier to make sure my bacon didn't burn, but, of course, you were asleep," her mother commented, sounding a bit annoyed.

Curi gave a slight frown but didn't rebut her mother. It was true she did sleep more often in of hope of getting a continuation of her dream. When she was in these dreams, everything felt so real. She hoped something of significance would happen in the next one instead of another abrupt wake-up.

"Sorry, mom." She sat down at the dining room table. Her mother and father laid out what had been made for breakfast before her. She sidestepped the slightly burnt bacon and finished some scrambled eggs quickly. This wasn't a Saturday where she had an art class, so she had nothing planned for the day. However, lazing around in leisure was always welcomed in her schedule. Her parents chatted lightly about something they had heard on the news, and her brother, Taveo was away at a math club meeting until the afternoon.

Before she could make her way to the comfortable solitude of her room, her father stopped her.

"Curi, Victorine-Ophelia sent a letter to you, saying that she wouldn't be able to make it tomorrow for you guys' usual movie session. Your mother put the letter on your little fold-up table."

"Dad, what do you mean? She actually put a hand-written letter in an envelope?"

Dad rubbed the stubby ends of his goatee. "Hmm... I thought someone like her would send one of those young people messages. Texts!” He sounded so out-of-touch with modern life. “Instead she hand-delivered it to our mailbox and everything!"

"Why didn't she just call—" Curi stopped. Never mind. She knew Ophelia was unorthodox and didn't mind doing things in an evasive way. What did Ophelia do when she missed their movie meetings? If she remembered, she would have to ask her though it was hard not to get an indirect answer from the woman.

"Hey, Dad, did you read my mail?” she frowned a bit. “You did say Ophelia sent that letter to me, right?"

"No, Curi I did not. Your mother though..." Her father trailed off in a knowing tone. He raised a bushy eyebrow and looked at his wife. At her upset face, he only sipped his coffee.

"Shoot, De'ron! No one told you to say that," Mom hissed.

Her mother, Essence Andrews, got too involved when it came to her daughter’s business which is why Curi had learned to be selective of what she told her. She hadn't mentioned her dreams to her parents yet who would probably just deem them silly. Not to say she thought anything beyond her piqued interest of the short dreams either.

Finally, excusing herself before the inevitable mini fight, she read Ophelia's letter in her room.

Curi smiled at the drawing of a penguin. She had not known anyone else who drew doodles in their letters besides herself. Ophelia's handwriting, a pleasant mixture of print and cursive, lay elegantly on white lined paper. Ignoring the letter's pleasantries, Ophelia apologized for missing their meeting and told her to watch this week's movie, Kingdoms of Flights and Fancies on her own.

She felt disappointed for the missed meeting but brighten at the film title. She had become something of a fantasy movie junkie since Ophelia and this latest movie seemed to sing praises of it.

Pulling out her laptop from underneath her bed frame, she searched for the movie. Ophelia toward the bottom of the letter had given her password credentials for a pay-for-movie streaming site. Since the username read WolfeyGuy333, she bet it was Wolfeman's account, judging by the name and lack of creativity.

She played the movie with no qualms. Wolfeman still owed her for the trouble he had caused at her parent's last party. Him and Ophelia were partners in crime and the closest things to friends either one of them had. Curi thought they were both equally cool though she wasn't going to tell them that any time soon.

She shut her door, put her earphones in, and delved into the movie. For the slow start it had, it had submerged her into the characters' world. The only downside was the movie neared three hours. If the movie's lullaby-like soundtrack had been more upbeat, maybe she would have seen the epilogue.

Her eyes felt heavy toward the ending. After the big showdown, where the two dragon princes confronted the robot-like thief, Curi dozed off. She faintly remembered pulling her pillow closer to her head.

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Dest! Happy Review Day! I'm Pan and I'll be frying up a quick review for you today. I'm just going to read through the piece and comment on things as I go along.

Part of me wonders if you could condense this into one line: 'Curi knew she had to be dreaming.' It's up to you, but it's usually better to use less words if you can.

The clouds were fluffy and the sky a mellow blue color. Clear fields of yellows and aqua greens and what looked like a mountain were in the distance.

This description is a little pedestrian. 'Fluffy' is a quite a clichéd way to describe clouds, so it doesn't really grab me. Also, remember that description is more than just using adjectives. Verbs are incredibly powerful descriptors - the most powerful, I'd argue. If you said that the mountain loomed in the distance, or that sunlight honeyed the fields to golden yellows and greens, the images would be much stronger. Always think about your verb choices and whether they contribute to the image.

I feel like you're giving the game away too early here. This opening is intriguing, but I don't think you need to tell us straight away that the boy is in her dreams and that he always disappears before she can look at him. You could just infer it through her reaction. She could look at him and say 'you', then reach out, only for him to disappear. Then she could wake up.

Try not to explain too much. The audience is smarter than you think, so only tell them what they really can't work out for themselves. The more information you keep from us, the more questions we'll have, and the more interested to read on we'll be.

Good end to the scene. I like that last line particularly.

Okay, I got a bit lost here. It feels like you go off at an abrupt tangent and I can't quite follow what's going on. Try not to explain everything at once - stay focused on a particular point. Here, you hop from focusing on the dream to the parents' parties, then to the prospect of them making a movie, then back to the dreams, then to the mentor and movies again, then to Ophelia - a character who we know nothing about. It's too much at once. Try to be more gradual.

"Mom…Dad?" She called out softly.

This shouldn't be capitalised. No matter what punctuation dialogue closes with, the following tag shouldn't be capitalised. Examples:

"This is the correct way to format dialogue," she said.
"This is also the correct way!" she shouted.
"This is also the correct way, is it not?" she asked.

"Hmm... I thought someone like her would send one of those young people messages. Texts!” He sounded so out-of-touch with modern life.

This seems almost parody level out of touch. Even older people who aren't too hot on technology usually know what it is.

Her mother, Essence Andrews, got too involved when it came to her daughter’s business which is why Curi had learned to be selective of what she told her.

You don't need to tell us this, because her nosiness is already clear from the fact that she reads Curi's letters. Don't tell us things that are already obvious from the actions of the characters. This type of advice is usually banded under something called Show vs Tell, which I'm afraid I don't have the time to delve into in this review. However, I can direct you to this brilliant article, which gives a great overview of how showing and telling work in writing.

So, I think that's all for specific points. This has real potential as an opener. The first scene with the dream world grabbed my attention, and the question of who the boy is and why they keep appearing in Curi's dreams does interest me. However, I feel like you go a little off-piste once she wakes up. You depart almost fully from the question of the dream boy and start focusing on movies and Ophelia instead, which is a little jarring. I feel like the chapter needs a clearer focus.

Your writing style is mostly pretty good. I've not really got any grammar complaints, though I think your description could be a little more evocative. The biggest thing you need to work on is organising your information. As I've mentioned earlier, you have a tendency to go off on tangents, and it doesn't feel like the points you make lead into one another than smoothly. That's the kind of thing you can sort out in editing, however.

Hope this helped!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Dest says...

Hello Pan,
Thanks a bunch for the review! I honestly had realized many of these things until you pointed it out like babying the readers. ^^;

Also, Ophelia/party-planning parents are things from a previous story about Curi and her friends. I'm going to try to weave that in more smoothly.

AMAZING! This is the first thing I've read on the site and this made such a good first impression!

Vervain wrote a review...

Hey! I'm excited to tackle a first chapter for once. Please bear with me if I come across as critical -- I tear things apart because I love them and I want to see them get so, so much better.

Overall: I dig this! I don't have much more to say in the overall that's not covered in the details. I do feel like the style needs some tweaking and finalizing; the voice is solid but in places it's extremely flimsy, like with character interaction.

Details:

First, you open us up with a halfway-decent hook. While I don't normally like "dreaming" starts, this has an actual purpose, considering Curi's dreams (judging by the title) are supposed to be a fairly good part of the story. Since it serves a plot-related purpose, it gets to live. For now.

I think my biggest criticism about the opening is that it's just too detailed for me to believe it's a dream -- at least, a dream she remembers later. Reading the beginning is like reading an in-depth description of someone, and it loses that dreamy quality that, well, dreams have. It becomes less surreal and brings the story too far back down to earth.

The stroke of his brow raised upward
This seems like a phrase that was tossed in to be a pretty phrase, not to serve a purpose. Just say "He raised an eyebrow" or something -- or "his eyebrow lifted" -- or something along those lines. While most of your writing treads a nice line between descriptive and purposeful, this line jumped out at me as needlessly elaborate.

Second, I feel like we start in the middle of the story. As soon as we're out of the dream sequence, we learn Curi has been having these dreams for months -- you toss a lot of information at us that we haven't had established, and it's a lot to take in at once. This is stuff that could be seeped in slowly through asides and descriptions rather than given to us all at once. You don't need to explain everything all at once; you can give it to us here and there instead.

Finally, I really like your style. There are elements that are off-putting, like your uber-descriptive language, but it really gives me a sense of fahrvergnügen -- I feel joy from following the threads of Curi's thoughts (when they're not bogged down with needless details) and I feel like I can really get inside her head and understand why she does things. Your dialogue feels stilted at best, but your description is killer, so take what you use to nurture that and put it into your characters and dialogue just as much.

You can not put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator.
— alliyah