z

Young Writers Society


12+

Margo, Ch.2

by Desdemona


Knitting club, just like all the other little clubs Margo was in, was quiet. Margo made no attempts to socialize with the other women and all the other women let her be as they couldn’t just ask her not to come. All that passed between Margo and the club were instructions on different knitting patterns; Margo was the best knitter.

Come to think of it, Margo was the best at everything. She could sew, knit and set tables fit for Louis XIV’s grand banquets. While the people of Avalon grudgingly commended her accomplishments, Victor was never pleased; keeping her learning, and going further every day. Besides, it was thanks to Victor she’d learned all this.

She sighed as she knit an elaborate jet black scarf, so lost in thought that she didn’t realize her neighbor asking her something.

“Sorry, what was that Gertrude?”

“I was asking if you wanted to join us at Starbucks. It’s Macchiato Monday!”

Margo thought a little. She had work to do at home; vacuuming, window cleaning and cooking. This would take her about 2 hours of work. A Starbucks coffee would take about an hour. If they left within the hour, she’d be home around 2PM. Victor came home at 7PM. That was sufficient time; and she felt she deserved a coffee with a bunch of people who saw her fit to join them.

“Yeah, okay. I’m coming.” Margo said with a smile. Gertrude nodded and called out “She’s coming!” to the women.

They packed up and strolled over to Starbucks in groups of twos and threes, with Margo trailing behind. Their conversations were things she could not and did not want to contribute to; about family gossip and the kitchens that they’d just renovated. So she just walked quietly, nodding along to things people directed towards her every once in a while. Why had she come? She’d have finished the living room by now.

Once at Starbucks, she got the smallest macchiato, sat in a corner and drank it all up and left in only half an hour. She got home 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

Once home, she got to work and had all her surfaces spotless and dust free, and another lovely steak placed in the oven so it would be ready as soon as Victor came home. She then sat down on a couch with a shawl she’d been crocheting, waiting.

Her cellphone rang after a few minutes and she picked it up.

“Vic?”

“Hey, Mars.”

Mars. He was with company. A list of groceries ran through her mind as she bolted up.

“I’m bringing home Mr. MacDonald and his wife. Could you please fix something up?”

“Of course, Victor.How does squash risotto sound to you?”

“Brilliant, Mars. We’ll be arriving in about an hour.”

“Okay, Vic. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

The call then died. By this time, Margo had already taken out the squash and chicken broth from the depths of the freezer and thrown rice into the cooker.

The rice would take ten minutes to get ready.

She then set out into the living room, throwing a dainty green tablecloth over the table and setting out plates and matching utensils before double-checking everything’s place. Okay.

She then hurried back into the kitchen to finish the risotto. After she’d gotten that all lovely and cheesed up she glanced at the clock. 15 minutes. She brought the dish out to the living room along with potato salad and mini chocolate cakes she’d just got out the microwave.Everything was neat, orderly and elegant. She then went upstairs to change into a pretty dress and comb her hair before running back downstairs and doing a final round in the house. Everything was put away and clean. She relaxed just as the doorbell rang.

She opened it to find Victor with Mr. and Mrs. MacDonald in tow.

“Hello Victor, Mr. and Mrs. Macdonald. Welcome!”

She escorted them inside and sat them down before assuming her place next to Victor. He seemed to be doing okay.

After some conversation Margo felt she’d managed amazingly, the guests headed to the table and ate while showering her in even more praise. Margo noted that Victor seemed annoyed by something but pretended to remain aloof as she kept chatting away about family gossip and the latest house renovations with Mrs. MacDonald.

Finally, after 3 tiring hours, the guests left. Margo heaved a sigh of relief as she closed the door and turned to face Victor.

“Please don’t ever make this food again. You know I hate vegetarian.”

“I know, but it was the quickest dish I knew how to make.”

“Learn other foods.” Victor answered as he turned on his heel and sat in the living room.

While Victor hadn’t really praised Margo, she still felt an incredible surge of happiness. He hadn’t hit her!

She hummed happily as she cleared up the dishes and the food Victor wouldn’t eat and went to sit with her husband once more.

“Margo, do you know why I invited the MacDonalds?”

“I just thought you invited him because you felt like it; he IS your boss.”

“No, it’s more than that. You know they don’t like me over there. They say I’m too rough. I invited him so he’d see our lovely home and perhaps put his mind at ease when he saw how I take care of you.”

Margo nodded. If she was Mr. MacDonald, she’d have fired Victor a very long time ago. She hid her face in his chest once more as he droned on and on about business and finances, things alien to her.

“You know, they closed that old Target you used to work at.” Victor whispered into her hair suddenly

Margo felt her throat constrict.

“Why?” She asked.

“The old manager couldn’t run it. They say he gambled his money away. I was right in forbidding you to go there ever again.

Margo sighed. “Of course you were, Victor.”

Deep within she couldn’t help but think that Victor had contributed to this turn of events. She knew for a fact that Mr. Carnegie would never indulge in gambling; after all she was her own uncle.

And besides, Victor hadn’t banned her from Target because of Richard Carnegie; he’d banned her because of Walter Boggs.

Margo shivered as she remembered.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...



Hullo~

I like how you introduced a conflict in this chapter, because I really felt that that was an element left lacking in chapter one. I'm not a big fan of the cliffhanger, because it feels like a ... somewhat contrived way of building up the suspense and an unnecessary prolongation of something that should have surfaced much earlier. The pacing is still slow and--don't get me wrong, sometimes a slower pace works out--there are lots of superfluous details I think you could do without. I like how Margo's perfectionist side is highlighted, and I also think it's interesting how she's adapted herself to the psychological and physical abuse her husband inflicts on her--this is dangerous, very dangerous, and I really don't see her pulling herself out of this situation any time soon. Besides that, Margo is largely painted as a Mary Sue, and this could largely be because of the lack of internal dialogue so far. We spend a lot of time lingering over the practical, trivial details of Margo's lifestyle, and the prose reads quite a lot like an instruction manual. It shouldn't.

So that's one of the things that needs work on: you have the events, you have the structure, but they read blandly, like bricks spaced out evenly with nothing to connect them. Fill in the gaps. One of the ways you could do this is by utilising scene instead of narrative. Narrative is when you lay things out plainly for us: 'Elijah jumped over the candlestick'. Scene is when you expound on that narrative and veer us into the present moment--this obviously means more sensory description and characters interacting with their environment. I mentioned this in my last review, so I won't linger over this, but do work on working emotion into your prose.

Aside from that, the narrator uses a copious amount of talking heads; these leech a lot of characterisation and colour from your prose, mainly because they're just bits of text hovering in thin air. You can induct a lot of action + reaction into the scene by spacing the dialogue out with description. For example, when Vicky tells Margo he hates vegetable-based foods, does Margo stiffen? does she suddenly grow alert and wary? What sort of expressions does Victor wear as he says this, and what impact does this have on Margo? How does Margo interact with her environment in this short space of time? Even subtle gestures--such as leaning tiredly against the door, or placing a hand on the doorknob in a bid to escape--do amazing things for characterisation. Remember: characterisation is doled out in snippets; it isn't shoved like a sack in the reader's direction.

Spotted some incorrectly-used semicolons in a couple of places; skim through this, edit the minor inconsistencies, and you should be fine~

This Walter Boggs sounds like quite the intriguing person! I suppose we'll get to know more about him in chapter three; I'll try to read/review this weekend, but if not, feel free to poke me!

Keep writing! Keep up the good work!

Cheers.

~Pomp




User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:19 am
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here for a quick review for RevMo!

This is a pretty good start - a bit slower-paced, but already you hint at the tension and conflict within the novel. I like how matter-of-factly and resignedly Margo deals with Victor's unreasonable demands, as if it's just a part of life. It feels very realistic because of how adaptable human beings are - get treated a certain way for long enough and eventually you just roll with it.

I thought that your pacing was a bit strange, though. You kind of skimmed through the parts before she got home, not skipping over it or turning it into an actual scene, just kind of a weird summarization that just felt strangely paced. Decide if you want to either make it a scene or just summarize it in 1 or 2 paragraphs, then do that. Personally, I think it'd be better as a more fully fleshed out scene.

“I just thought you invited him because you felt like it; he IS your boss.”

Don't use caps lock for emphasis - use italics. Standard grammar.

She knew for a fact that Mr. Carnegie would never indulge in gambling; after all she was her own uncle.

I think you mean he was her uncle.

With the dinner party, again I think you should flesh out the scene more. It would give us an excellent opportunity to see what Victor's like when he has to put on a show for others and also to give us an example of his 'roughness.' To make him feel fleshed out instead of a one-sided abuser, you need to show him in a variety of different situations and preferably as quickly as possible.

And that's all I've got! Good luck with this, and keep writing!




Random avatar

Points: 401
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:27 am
dietfiction wrote a review...



I like how you've written an abusive relationship, she needs to be home in time, obsessed with her scheduled so she doesn't make Victor mad. A suggestion would be to watch out for overly cluttered sentences such as, 'all the other women and all the other women'. perhaps a shortened version would be, 'with all the other women who let her be'.

Margo trailing behind to avoid their gossip instantly made me love this character! Victor is a dick! You've made me hate him! Adding the name Walter Boggs at the end is a great cliffhanger!
I am not a pro so ignore me if I'm wrong about everything :)





A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.
— Honore de Balzac