z

Young Writers Society



opposite

by Rosella



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 9
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 am
shahinaz wrote a review...



beautiful use of diction and i love the way you speak of love manifesting more evidently in distress. the structure was great and your emotions came through very evocatively, i could definatley feel your emotion with every passing line. I love the way you speak of love as a healer, it was almost like you were describing the ressurection of your own soul. very beautifully written! the only thing i would say that can be improves is perhaps articulation and word play! its always great when poets can hide the message behind the words leaving the readers to ponder upon its true meaning. over all great poem! was a delightful read with an important take away message, of true love and acceptance.




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:43 am
View Likes
Rosella says...



Yes, I'm leaving my own comment on my poem. I just wanted to say that I wrote this poem for a really special someone in my life, and every word in this poem I tried to make it into the words I felt for him. Me and him, are opposites. I am a broken person with an awful past and so many emotional/trust issues, and he is the sunshine in my life who is slowly fixing me. In this poem I talk about how he keeps me safe, he reassures me, how he makes me smile and feel warmth, how he saves me from my darkness and can make any day a good day. I decided to not focus on grammar or capitalization because I wanted people to focus on the emotion. I played with words and made a poem i didn't expect myself to write. It was a short poem, because I was afraid to make it too long, but I think this poem addressed a lot of feelings I can't say I'm simple paragraph form. So, for those who read/review this, this poem means a lot to me and it's something I didn't even know I could create.




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 415
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:07 am
tramsned wrote a review...



Pretty gud.

One thing I might point out, especially in the last stanza, is that it kind of seems out of place/vague when you go from sensual descriptions to emotional definitions. "Morose", "gloomy", "lively", and "wistful".

When it comes to words like these, take "morose" for example, don't just say something's morose, describe why it's morose, how it makes you feel, how it makes you see the world, how it makes you feel when wake up. Anything about it that manifests in a physical way could be used for a description. I know this is generic advice, but it's generic for a reason. Now, this isn't to say that you can't use these words at all. Of course, there are places they fit and work best. But you've written a very sensual poem here, and those don't contribute any sensual descriptions.

Hope this helps. Keep writing.

--Tramsned




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 415
Reviews: 12

Donate

User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 pm
View Likes
Charm says...



'okay' not 'ok' in writing *cringes* (other than that, good poem)




Rosella says...


I actually originally put "okay" but i decided not to XD



Charm says...


"ok" is texting slang xD (my soul dies a little every time i see it in writing).



Rosella says...


but Rachel.... i didn't know you had a soul XD <3



Charm says...


true true



tramsned says...


speaking aesthetically, especially in poetry, there's no correct way to do anything. If changing the spelling of a word works better, then do it.



Charm says...


Yeah, that's true. I wasn't sure Rose knew if okay was the grammatically correct way to spell it or not.



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 195
Reviews: 105

Donate
Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:59 pm
View Likes
OreosAreLife wrote a review...



Hey DeepRoses, it's Oreos here for a review!
First off I really like your title. Then as I read your poem I found it suited it. I just the way you start off your poem with

the velvet of your fingertips
slowly graze upon my quivering cracked lips
the softness of your voice tells me I'm ok
but my shaky voice says otherwise

This stanza really tells you that they person in this poem really cares for you. I love your description it really brings out the emotion you feel about this persona and how they feel for you
The next stanza:
as I lay my head against your chest I feel
warmth radiating from your fiery heart
so I curl up to hide my essence
as mine is frigid like cold

I was a little confused here but got it after I reread the poem. I think this is just beautiful how you know he will protect you and be there for you when you need him. I about cried.
The next stanza:
a piece of art can never compare to your beauty
you are a creation made for a god
I sit here being the deadening creature I am
just a phantom to your brilliant light

The first line is just beautiful and i think that this the strongest part of your poem. You really tie everything together here. Great job!
And finally the last stanza:
my morose soul yearns for you luminance
you are my ever so dearest love
your shyful smiles erase my gloomy expressions
for you are the lively daylight
that saves me form my wistful midnight

I think these lines are exquisite and you really bring your poem to a great ending. You second line melted my heart, I could feel the emotion. I could feel how much you love this person. This was a great ending to your poem.

Overall I think that this was beautifully written and you should be proud of this one! I'm sure it was your intention to have no punctuation or capital letters at the beginning of each line, so I'm not gonna get into that. But It could potentially make it better. Otherwise I think that this was an incredible piece. Keep writing and I hope to read more of you wonderful work in the future!

Oreos :)




Rosella says...


thank you, im happy you like it <3




"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom PĂ©rignon