Chapter -1

by DeadlyAF

Alice. My name is Alice. I'm 16 and his attacks don't hurt anymore.

I repeat this mantra in my head as my father keeps taunting me.

It wasn't my fault....was it?

It's hard keeping a straight face with those harsh words coming from my father, and after a while I can't bear it anymore.

I run up to my room with tears in my eyes and slam the door shut, locking it in place before i collapse on the floor, unable to keep it all in anymore. And then I cry. I cry like a starved baby begging for food, except in my case it's the lack of love rather than food.

Someone's fist pounds on my door repeatedly.

'SHUT UP! What the hell are you crying for?! I'm the one who should be crying for having a daughter like you!' , a voice yells from the outside. My father's voice.

Hearing those words sends a new jolt of pain through me and I start crying harder as my father continues to pound on my door. Pressing my hand to my mouth, I curl up into a ball, trying to control my sobs. Shut up shut up.SHUT.UP.

After a while I somewhat calm down, my father stops pounding on my door after that. I keep lying on the floor with tears still streaking down my face for,I don't even know how long. But, when I get up the sun had already set,washing my room in darkness. I should just sleep.

I get up and stumble towards my bed, my knees and back too sore from being curled up for longer than they could handle.

Laying down on my bed, I try to fall asleep but at the same time I wish that I don't. I know exactly what will happen once I fall asleep. I will dream. I will have dreams about the happy parts of my life.

I finally drift off, and wander into a part of my mind that takes me down the memory lane.

'Alice!' my mother calls out to me as I run away from her, laughing. She's laughing too. We're playing, I realize.

I keep running after a few seconds my mother catches up to me.I let out an indignant sound and stop,waiting for her to catch me but suddenly someone is lifting me up and running away with me. The person is laughing too. She has beautiful, long blonde hair and sparkling green eyes like my mother.

It's Kristene. My sister.

I gasp as I wake up, my cheeks are covered in tears and I'm sweating despite the cold wind that blows through the open window.

I stare at the ceiling and think. I think about that sweet guy in school that I'd met at the day of my finals, I'd forgotten to ask his name. I think of that bitch Tracy who used to be my best friend. I think of that brat Marcus with his arrogance and his showing off. I think of that emo girl who gets bullied by everyone. I think of my family. I think of everyone and how their lives have affected them.

And then I think of me, a maniac who should probably be in a mental institution for messing up my own life and then making myself miserable.

All of this makes me angry and sad at the same time. It's just too much. Everything is too much for me. I need to stop my emotions and there's only one thing I can do about it.

The supple and suave voice of the blade calls to me from the darkness. It's like a siren, calling to me and I can't help but listen to it.

I go to my desk and look for it in the darkness. Finally, after searching for some minutes, I find it. It's cold in my fingers. It's gleaming edge reflects the moonlight streaming through my window.

It looks beautiful yet deadly, just like the Prince of the Unseelie court I'd read about in faery tales. He's beckoning to me to come to him, and he's promising to take my pain away.

I place the sharp edge of the blade on my wrist and I cut. I cut until I don't feel anything, until I feel numb. It's the best thing in the world, feeling nothing. I feel inhuman yet peaceful.

I stare, fascinated as blood gushes out of my wounds. It flows down my arm and onto the floor.

I lay down on my bed and fall into a dreamless sleep, my brain too distracted by the pain to think of anything else.

***********************************************************************************************

Today is the first day of my junior year in high school. The alarm's blaring noise wakes me up from sleep to start the day I've been dreading since the second my last year's finals ended. And now it has finally come.

I get out of the bed and walk to the window, to get some fresh air in my lungs. It's a cold day today, but not as cold as the hearts of my tormentors.

But maybe... Maybe things will be different this year. Maybe I'll find myself talking and eating and socializing again. Maybe Tracy would finally forgive me, maybe she'll finally go back to the being the sweet girl she used to be in middle school. Maybe Marcus will finally realize how wrong his actions are. Maybe people will realize that the emo looking girl doesn't self harm and stop bullying her about it. Maybe I'll be able to build up enough courage to go up to that sweet guy and ask him what his name is. Maybe. But probably not.

Taking a deep breath and I close the window, to prevent anymore of the cold breeze to seep into my room. I quickly undress and walk inside the shower.

The hot water flows down my body, relaxing my stiff muscles. I hiss in pain as the water touches the fresh cuts on my wrists. It washes away all the dried up blood from last night.

I grab a towel, get out of the shower, and dry myself down before getting dressed. My scars burn as I pull on a denim jacket over my t-shirt.

Unlock my bedroom door, I peer outside in the cold corridor which consists of only two doors; one door is my father's bedroom and the other is the one I am standing in. My father's bedroom door is fully ajar and I could see him lying on his bed, sleeping. He looks so peaceful, and it reminds me of things. Things that I don't want to remember, things that I'd dreamt about last night.

I watch him for a few minutes before grabbing my things and padding downstairs into the kitchen. I grab a protein bar and get out of the house before he wakes up.

The air is even colder outside. I sigh and wrap my scarf around myself to protect myself from the cold. The scarf settles a feeling of hatred inside me, it used to belong to my mother. My mother who was a coward just like me, who couldn't handle life, like me.

Even though I hated her, a small part of me couldn't help but felt sorry for her, a small part of me couldn't help but understand why she did what she did.

I start walking towards my school, with my head down and Pierce The Veil blaring into my ears through my earphones.

Music, it's the only thing that calms me down. But sometimes even music is not enough. I wonder what would happen the day cutting my skin open won't be enough anymore.

The long and cold walk to school was pleasant compared to the atmosphere inside it.

People everywhere. It's like a roaring sea of teenagers in there, talking, laughing, shouting, and pushing each other to get through the crowd.

I take a deep breath and push into the crowd, trying to get to my locker and also hoping; hoping that the crowd would help me blend in so that he doesn't notice me.

I'd successfully prevented myself from thinking about him since the last day I was in school. But now I'll have to face him again. I'll have to face the guy who helped me sabotage my friendship with Tracy. The guy who said he loved me yet broke all of his promises to me. The guy who was now dating my former best friend, just like he was dating her when he made all those promises to me.

But of course that was too good to hope for, just like all the other things I hope for every second of everyday.

'Alice.'

Oh no.

My name, whispered in my ear by a voice so familiar, a voice I had trusted in the past. Dylan's voice. It sends a chill right down my spine and suddenly my whole body freezes. I can't think, I can't move. I stand there being pushed around by the crowd, dreading whatever was going to happen next.

So I basically just combined the first two chapters since nothing much happened in both of them. I also edited some things in the plot. I hope whoever's reading it liked this one better and can connect to the story in at least some way. :)

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:56 pm
occymay wrote a review...

I really liked this piece, it left me wondering what was going on. Maybe a small amount of information would be nice but I still think it's good.

Positives-
It's rare to find stories that are by surround depression and self-harm, they can be very difficult to replicate and can be quite graphic. I liked how you didn't make the self-harm graphic because it can then be seen with a wider audience, mental illness can start very early. The character is very easy to connect with, I feel everyone can relate in some way to what she is going through and her emotions are clear and understandable. I also like the way you write, it feels very in the moment which suits the character very well.

Improvements-
As I mentioned above it would be nice if there were small amounts of information seeded throughout the piece. I feel that I would help the audience to further connect with Alice, making her more relatable. For example, who was talking to her when she was down stairs, why did she push people away, how did she become like that? If you still want to keep it a mystery when just give small hints so you don't leave the reader hanging.
I also noticed you use a lot of "i"'s to start your sentences, especially in the first section. maybe try to mix it up a little more because when it's meant to be repetitive it's not then overwhelming.

Overall it was really good, can't wait to read some more and get into the story. Keep writing :)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:53 am
postmalone wrote a review...

I don't think I've read a more beautiful work of writing on YWS in the past week than this. Every once in a while I read a poem or story on YWS which includes self harm, suicidal thoughts, and/or depression and it makes me really sad because I know what it's like, especially when I've been crying or everything is crashing down or the overwhelming demands of a perfect life take over. Based on your author's note, I can't tell if you struggle with it too, and if so I am so, so sorry.

Please, before reading or skimming this review, note that I honestly do not mean to offend you with how I say things. If you're a fragile person I promise that as a reviewing friend I'll try not to say anything that you may take offense for.

What I related to: Self harm, crying at night, locking myself in my room, being just a year shy of Alice's age, and this: " And then I think of me, a maniac who should probably be in a mental institution for messing up my own life and then making myself miserable." I can relate to allllll of this.

What I liked: I liked/enjoyed/loved all of this. I'm an indecisive person - I can't decide if I liked or enjoyed or loved this! :D thank you so much for posting though. I'm happy to have read your story no matter how real it is.

Writing Corrections: "I'm 16 and his attacks don't hurt anymore." Who is the guy that is mentioned? I'm a bit confused about that.

"I repeat this mantra in my head again and again as I try to keep a straight face and try not to betray my emotions away." Can you try to re-word the last part. Maybe delete 'away' so it makes sense/flows better?

"But after a while it's just too much for me, I run up to my room and slam the bedroom door shut." Uh-oh, run-on sentence! Just change the comma to a period and you'll be all fine!

"It's night and I lay down on my bed trying to fall asleep but wishing that I don't. I know what will happen when I fall asleep, I'll dream, I'll have dreams about the happy parts of my life. I finally fall asleep and wander into a dream that takes me down the memory lane." There's a lot of repetition that can be changed to stay away from it. 'Fall asleep' can be written as 'drift off' or 'fade away into unconsciousness'. 'Dream' can be written as 'a reality created in my mind'. Sorry for all the apostrophes and quotation marks! It may seem confusing. :)

"I think of that emo looking girl who always gets bullied by him." Add a hyphen between emo and looking so it becomes emo-looking. And again, who is "him"?

You wrote "it's just too much" a number of times. Maybe that's an effect or possible theme you are hinting at?

What I didn't like: I SAY THIS IN A KIND WAY AND THIS IS SHORTTTTT AND YOU SAID YOU KNOW THAT BUT STILL :( I CRAVE MORE YOUNG WRITER! I WANT TO READ MORE! ,(Hehe so sorry that is my sleep-deprived, been-typing-my-review-on-this-for-half-an-hour side of me.)

Tips for Improving: I suggest you add a background to Alice's story. Whenever I hear the name Alice, it makes me think about Wonderland and creepy little girls with blue dresses and short blonde curls. Nice name choice though. As I was saying, a background to how things started falling apart could strengthen the structure of your story. When did Alice begin dealing with self harm, and pain? Who is "he" mentioned in the first line - an ex boyfriend, an abuser, a relative? Adding a stronger closing sentence to this short story would lead readers to want more of this story. I feel like you have potential to turn this into a novel or chapters of a short story put together. I would absolutely love to read.

I loved this! Thank you for sharing this with me!! :D Stay happy, stand strong, keep your head up, don't forget to smile, and be amazing!

Your new friend and follower,

Blue

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:55 am
Sheadun wrote a review...

Hey DeadlyAF!

Happy to be reviewing your lovely work on this fine review day :) I am excited to read this and I hope that you enjoyed writing it!

I'd like to start off saying that this is a really really strong start that has a TON of potential. Even though I'm not entirely positive with what is happening in regards to Alice, I totally see how this character will fall into your story. This made me feel really involved in her life, and it's just the first chapter!!

Now I'd like to give some friendly advice on how to make your story soar even further than it already is. I'd say just try not to use too many "I" sentences. Maybe switch around the words in your sentences, such as the first two sentences in the third paragraph. Start it with "After I finally fall asleep and wander into a dream" etc.

Then I think that you should try to pinpoint exactly what is happening to Alice and who is doing this to her, because in my case I'm a little confused :) Is it her father or one of the teenagers mentioned earlier? Maybe just specify what is going on. Also, is this book more of a reality for many teens or will it go into a type of fantasy in the future, just wondering hah! How did Alice mess up her life? Will we find out in the near future

Overall, very nice first chapter with amazing potential! I encourage you to keep writing this and thinking about Alice's story, and the readers will come to you!

Keep writing and great job.
Sheadun :)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:46 am
Gymnast2801 wrote a review...

Hi there Deadly, it's Gymnast2801 with a review for The Black Cat Squad!

Just so you know, I will give my overall thoughts at the end of this review as I will correct/attempt to help while I read. So...let's get started!

Oh my goodness, the beginning is SO intriguing!! I actually skim the beginning of a story to see if I'd like to review it and you my friend have gotten me to review yours!

- It's night and I lay down... -
I feel like 'It's night' is just a statement of information. Maybe try to work that part in a but smoother.

- ...years and sweat despite... -
Add a coma after 'sweat'

- ...the cold wind that is blowing through the open window. -
Again, it feels a bit like your just starting a fast when you have that 'is' in there. Prehpahs try taking out the 'is' and instead, maybe put 'the cold wind that BLOWS through the open window.' because I feel like this would fit better.

Okay, time for overall.
I really, really like this! I wasn't expecting this self abuse, I was first expecting this plot to be the main character lashing out at someone. Then it changed and I thought she would kill herself. But I like that she didn't. You've showed that this character is rather unpredictable, which is a very nice quality in a main charcater.

I think your write her thoughts so well it's almost unbelievable, as if she was you and your thoughts where automatically printed onto paper.

I think this is quite short for a chapter but as you said, your trying. You also asked if we liked it or nah and I totally vote like! You capture the reader with just the right balance of question and knowledge. Bravo! *claps happily*

Wonderful job here, please keep on writing!
-Gymnast2801 for The Black Cat Squad
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... 60k129.jpg

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 am

It's really good, love the start !! The only feed back right now is to perhaps add more description into smaller areas, like the blood for instance I think not only could it beef up you're writing but also help develop the story and ideas/emotions you want to get across to the reader better??? I also find that description could really help you in future chapters if you go back and read some description you wrote before it can help you remember what you felt and help you reflect that again; helping your writing progress.

I did like how you mentioned the characters/people from her past, but not in to much detail as it hold the read to read on and find out more leaving the book pretty open for you to take anyway. All in all it's really good I hope my comments helped and you don't feel patronised in anyway, can't wait to read more !! -IS

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak