z

Young Writers Society



Franny and Factual

by DannieInkblotHanson


Franny and Factual
In my lifetime I have met very few people who have mastered the art of loudness by making no sound at all. And yet in this regard Frances Tevka was the master of every hidden aspect of the concept of volume, saying more without words than anyone else could with them. The irony that a girl shy and losing a fight against a speech impediment could communicate better than even I could, even though she never herself knew that.
Franny spoke. She did. She wasn't mute or deaf or anything of the like. That being said she was severely introverted and rarely talked to anyone outside her own circle of close friends. In all truth she could be quite boisterous around the few of us who knew her well, particularly myself. But she struggled with putting thoughts into words, but more often than not words were never something she needed. To this day I have never seen anyone say so much with a mere twitch of an eyebrow, or a tick of a finger, or a long and unblinking stare as they try and find the words to say the things they were unconsciously saying already.
She would lose herself in a conversation. Any time the exchange would get into anything deep or emotional she would simply quit talking altogether. Usually she would manage a couple of words after tense, three or five minute pauses. But there was something there, something deep behind that silence and inability to speak, that sparked my curiosity and has left me muddled and confused and utterly wonder-struck by the miracle that she was.
Sometimes your life has to be perfect for you to notice how much someone else's isn't. It wasn't until I had everything I wanted in life, perfect grades, the girl of my dreams on my arm, that I even noticed that not everyone's life was splendid as mine was. And maybe i was being selfish by not thinking about everyone else. But this isn't a story about me. This is the story of my best friend Franny, the loudest and quietest and most intricate woman I would ever meet, and how she eventually changed the volume of everyone around her.
••••••
"Great jump!"
I clapped Franny on the shoulder as she brushed her knees off in recovery from her roll that followed her jump off the ledge.
"You distracted me, pinbrain!" She laughed.
"What? How did I distract you?!" I really didn't know.
"Because you smell foul, Jackson." She replied, grinning. I punched her shoulder.
"I smell perfectly fine!" I protested as she shoved me back. She paused and shrugged.
"Actually, usually you do smell pretty good." She nodded a few times, "But right now you smell like sweat. Go put deodorant on, stinky."
I took a brief whiff of my own armpit to find to my utter dismay that she was right. So I did the sensible thing and went to my box on the shelf wall and pulled it out.
"Dangit, Kelsey!" I shouted, "Did you take my deodorant again?"
Out from the door to the roof poked the fiery red-haired head of my psycho cousin. "Yes." She said.
My forehead met my palm. "Kelsey. That's man deodorant."
Kelsey swung around the door and slid into the splits on the carpet. "It smells good. It smells like good man smell."
"You want to smell like a man?" I asked. I could almost say her answer as she did.
"It's better than smelling like sweat."
Yep. That's what she says. Nailed it.
"Okay, Jack, it's been lovely but I have a jump to make. Bye!" She levered herself up and dashed out the door. I followed onto the roof of the school.
Our school, Nord Stuffman's Academy of Things, is only one story, it's just spread out over a ridiculously large expanse of area. Then again, Someplace is a really small town and really only needs one high school. And this is it. Nord High, awe yeah.
I took a running start, reaching the familiar lip of the roof and using it to push off into the air. That familiar sickening feeling of free-fall twisted my stomach wonderfully, until my feet met the grass and I let them fold beneath me, tipping forward and rolling over my shoulder once and then twice before the momentum brought me back to my feet.
I loved that class. Jumping Off Things 101 was the best class in the whole school. Our sister-class, Throwing Things, had a lot in common with us, people-wise. But Jumping was definitely the most shameless of the two. Jumping kids were the kind who didn't give a hoot about anything, really. We made weird noises in public all the time. It didn't matter what strangers thought. And we all got along with Throwing quite nicely. Most of us were even involved in both.
Nord High ran like this; everyone had English, math and science for an hour every morning, not necessarily in that order, following was lunch, and then two electives for an hour and a half each. Some of us had our Language and History credits done, and could take two Things classes. Not me. I took Climbing Things my sophomore year and I have one Lang credit to make up.
"Hey! Class is almost out!" Came the familiar and loud holler of Mr. Foster, the Jumping teacher, "Have a fantastic weekend, children!"
Kelsey jogged over to me and we exchanged a grin. Foster went on.
"And stop putting things on my roof, I know it's not Climbing that's doing that!"
"Thanks, Foster! Bye!" Franny yelled across the field as she approached me.
"Jack, do you need a ride home?" I heard a friendly voice from behind me.
"Naw, Fact, Dad let me borrow his car today." I answered.
Mister Maxwell "Factual" Sarrault must be spoken for. Rarely had I ever met a lankier person; when he walked it looked like his limbs were all too long for him. He read books like a madman, usually found carrying several because he couldn't fit them all in his backpack. His warm and natural friendliness was enviable to say the least, and I knew plenty of girls who found him quite attractive in a strange, cute-nerd sort of way.
One of these girls included Franny.
"Okay. Do you need one tomorrow?" He asked.
"I don't know, I guess I'll tell you if I do." I said as we walked back to the Jumping room to get our stuff.
Franny always gets a ride home with me. She lives down the block from my house. Usually, we talk on the way to the parking lot, but Fact was present, and Franny was speechless. I noticed her alternating from staring at the ground to staring at him.
"I was thinking," Fact pondered, adjusting the book stack in his hands, "Exploding Junk Two came out yesterday, do you want to try and get a group to go tomorrow night?"
"Yeah, sure!" I dug my car keys out of my pocket, "what time?"
"Seven?" He suggested.
I decided to get Franny into the conversation. "Yeah, what do you think, Fran?"
A momentary expression of panic flew across her face before she squeaked out "What? Oh, sure."
Fact grinned his usual wide smile, "Great! See you guys there!"
He left and the weight of the world seemed to drop off my friend's shoulders. She sighed heavily.
"Why can't I.... Ugh." She groaned. I patted her back.
"You're fine."
She didn't say anything until we were almost home.
"So you do still like him, then?" I asked, hoping not to trigger her issue.
"Yeah." She grumbled, "I hate this. He never talks to me, Jack. It's like he doesn't know I'm there!"
"That's because you never talk to him." I said slowly.
Crap. Here we go.
Franny opened her mouth, closed it, blinked several times, opened it again, and closed it. She stared hard at the dashboard of my car, eyes soon flicking everywhere as she searched for anything that could give her speech. Then she stopped.
She just looked at me and shrugged.
"I'm sorry, Franny." I sighed. She raised one hand and I clasped it tightly. That's like our little secret handshake that we usually do whenever she can't talk.
"But you're still going, right?" I changed the subject.
"I... Uh... Of course I'm going, pinbrain." She stuttered.
"Alright. See ya tomorrow."
She got out and jogged up the wet grass to her little blue house, pulling the door open and closing it behind her.
Okay, so I had to help her. There had to be some way to make her feel comfortable around Factual. My brain raced for any way I could, until finally I thought of something. YES.
Oh, I was so ready for that movie. So ready.
••••••
Part Two
"Hello, Mrs. Sarrault, this is Jack Nottingham, is Factual there?"
"He is. Hold on one moment. FACT?!"
Fact's mom continued to yell at him on the other end of the phone. I laughed quietly to myself. That kid had such a comical family.
There was a fumbling sound before his voice came over the other end. "Hello?"
"Fact, it's me, Jack. Hey, I was wondering, do you know what's been up with Franny lately?"
"No, Franny doesn't talk to me very often. Why? Is she alright?"
"Well, she's seemed a little bit down and... Er, you know how she is sometimes. Maybe you should, I don't know, talk to her or something?"
"Talk to her? Shouldn't you talk to her? I mean, you are her best friend,"
"Yeah, but she thinks you're cool and maybe it would help to talk to somebody different," I was beginning to flounder for excuses to make him talk to her.
"Uh, okay." He finally consented after a pause that lasted way too long.
"Thanks! So, see you in an hour?"
"Yup. Bye." The line clicked dead. I stuffed my phone in my pocket.
I would be driving Franny there of course. When I made the call I was actually parked right in front of her house.
The night was dark and warm, and the cherry tree in her front yard was just beginning to lose its tiny pink flowers. The stars were out and lit up like a broken glow stick. The Tevka's house lights gave the curtains in front of the windows a warm, yellow glow.
The bright red front door opened with a creak and out stepped my friend, wearing a casual blue dress, her light brown hair in a braid over her shoulder. She had gotten dressed up for Fact, no doubt.
The weight of my promise to help fell heavily on me. She was such a sweet girl, and I hated seeing her sad. Fortunately, she didn't look at all down at the moment. In fact, a decently wide smile was stuck on her face.
Swinging the door open, she slid into the backseat. "You're picking up Hanna, right?"
I nodded and she reached up and messed up my hair, "Aw, you two are so precious. I'm so glad you happened finally."
I could actually feel my cheeks heating up. I hate it when she teases me. I had liked Hanna for quite a while, and Kelsey was really the one who made it happen, because I am absolutely terrible with girls. But by that point we had been together two months, and Franny still hadn't gotten over her phase of squealing every time she saw us holding hands in the hallway.
Five minutes later we pulled up to Hanna's house and she hopped into the front seat. "Hey, boo." She said, "Ready for another crappy action movie?"
"Yes. Yes I am." I laughed, disregarding the speed limit on the way to the movie theater.
"Hi, Franny. How ya doin'?" Hanna asked.
"I am ready to watch cars explode after flipping over six times." Was her answer. Hanna laughed.
The crew, as we often called ourselves among ourselves, was meeting in the lobby of Movie Co theater, which really was the only theater in Someplace. On the positive side, nobody ever went to see Exploding Junk 2 because the first installment of the series was absolutely dreadful, and the theater was entirely empty except for that old man that went and saw every movie ever because he was loaded and had no idea what to do with all his money.
A giant bucket of butter-encrusted popcorn in my lap, I sat through the whole show, not really paying a whole lot of attention to the actual movie for several reasons. One, it was my turn to fill up the paper cups of anyone who wanted more popcorn, two, I was cuddling with Hanna, three, I kept kicking Kelsey in the back of the head because she kept turning around and making sexy-faces at me and my girlfriend, and four, I was trying to stealthily watch the goings-on between Franny and Fact.
Franny had sat on my right, and Fact had come and sat beside her. For obvious reasons I couldn't sit there and watch them, so I got as much of a view as I could out of the corner of my eye.
The first half hour of the movie seemed incredibly awkward. Franny sat bolt-upright and didn't move for the entire half hour. And then something rather interesting happened. Fact, cautiously and hesitantly, put his skinny arm over her shoulders.
My mind did a silent victory dance. And after several awkward minutes in which her only reaction was widened eyes, she finally leaned into his shoulder. I don't think I could adequately describe the expression frozen on her face for about another thirty minutes. She looked happy, shocked, confused, and utterly horrified all at the same time. Eventually, that all dissolved to a little constant smile.
"Atta girl." I thought, laughing quietly.
The movie ended, we laughed about it, I kissed Hanna goodby because her dad was driving her home, and I did notice the abnormally long hug between Franny and Fact. I was so happy for her.
The entire car ride home she sang to herself, the grin of a crazy person plastered on her face, incessantly talking about how beautiful the stars were and how great the movie was and how much she loved May and trees and flowers and grass. I could only sit and grin with her. It seemed happiness negated her little problem. It worked out, and maybe this was her first step to being able to talk normally.
I didn't worry about it at all, until one Thursday afternoon the doorbell rang and on my porch stood Franny, eyes red from tears and a half-eaten bar of dark chocolate in one hand.
Part Three
"Oh my god, Franny, what happened? Are you okay?!"
She staggered into the door wordlessly. A few minutes later we were sitting at my kitchen counter with a sizable plate of strawberries and chocolate in between us.
"Okay, so what happened?" I asked. She wiped her eyes and swallowed her strawberry.
"Well, Fact took me out to Cream Ice and it was so awkward because I couldn't talk, ya know? But he didn't say anything either, and it was just so weird and now he hasn't talked to me for the whole week. He hasn't even so much as looked at me at school and... and....."
That's where she ended.
"Um, he's probably just unsure of what to do. You know Fact, he's only ever had one girlfriend and I'm pretty sure it didn't end well at all."
She nodded and I went on. "Don't worry about it. Just keep trying to talk to him and I'm sure he'll get more comfortable around you. He's just oblivious. Don't worry over it."
She smiled a little at this. Probably because everybody knows that kid is oblivious to everything. It's rather strange, especially given how unnervingly intelligent he is. That's how he received his nickname; I've never met a smarter person. His other block class is Know Things, and he's one of two Jumping kids to be in that class.
"I... Hmm. Uh, Jack?" Franny stammered. She was trying very hard. "He makes me so nervous."
"Why? Because he's smart?" She had mentioned it to me before.
"Yeah. He... I feel so.... not smart... around him." She said.
"Shut up, Franny, you're perfectly smart. You should stop comparing yourself to other people." I sighed.
Franny gave a sort of half-laugh and muttered "Smart people can speak."
I could have insisted that it wasn't her fault. I could have said her impediment had nothing to do with her intelligence, but we had already had that discussion. She said it made her feel disabled.
"Franny?" I said hesitantly. She looked expectantly at me for some time until I forced out "How bad is it with other people? I mean people other than me."
She sighed and shut her eyes. "Really bad. I can't say anything at all around Fact. At all. It isn't just sometimes with most people."
Another tense pause followed. I had to do something. So I did the first thing I could think of. I dipped another strawberry in chocolate and poked her bare arm with it.
"Hey!" She exclaimed, wiping off the brown smudge with her finger and licking it off, "You're gross, pinbrain!"
She dipped her finger in the chocolate and wiped it across my forehead. "Simba!"
I grabbed her wrist and shoved her hand away. "You're done, crazy! This isn't going to be a chocolate fight!"
Franny laughed outrageously. Seemed her mood was much better. I reminded her "Don't forget. Just make casual conversation. Talk about things you like. Ask him what he likes. It'll be easy."
"It won't be easy but I'll do it anyway." She snorted, standing up and going to the door. I walked with her onto the porch.
The sky looked just like the night after the movie. A fleeting bit of sadness showed on her features for a moment. But I soon put a stop to that.
"Come here, Franners." I hugged her tightly. I'm not a super tall guy, but she's significantly shorter than me, so her head fit perfectly under my chin.
"Life is hard." I heard her say.
"You're telling me." I replied. She let go of me and punched my arm, thanking me and starting down the street toward her own house.
Part Five
I ran the whole block and a half to her house. Her door was locked and she wouldn't let me in no matter how loudly or how often I knocked.
Throughout the next few weeks everything seemed to clear itself up. Franny didn't talk to Factual. Or about him. All she spoke of on the way home was her new trick she had been working ever so hard on for the Regional Jumping Off Things Competition. I didn't try to bring up the other night for a while. But finally, I caved. I had to know what was going on in her head.
"Franny?"
"Yup?" She answered.
"Are you still into Factual?" I held my breath in wait for her answer. She remained silent for quite some time before she heaved a long sigh.
"Yeah. I do. I've just decided it isn't ever going to happen." She explained. "I-I mean, we don't really have anything in common, really. Uhh..."
Franny stopped talking. I lightly punched her shoulder. "Don't worry about him. You're out of his league anyway. You'll find somebody, I swear."
My friend smiled subtly. Her eyes had a certain sadness to them, like she was looking at a kid she was about to divulge the real explanation of Santa Claus to. She didn't believe me. She didn't believe in herself.
"Franny, look. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. You are funny and kind and pretty and all that. Maybe you don't actually have to say anything to get somebody." I reached over and messed up her hair. "Besides, why worry when you have better things to do?"
I could easily see she knew I was planning something. So I went on. "I stole a few of traffic cones and Mr. Foster's roof is wiiiiiide open."
Finally, Franny made a sound. She tilted her head back and laughed musically. "Traffic cones?! I found a giant creepy baby mannequin lawn ornament thing in the dumpster in my alley!"
I gasped. "No WAY. Franners, you are a MIRACLE."
"Step on it, Jackwagon!" She squealed.
And I did.
Epilogue
Things took a rather strange turn in the four months that followed. Franny and Factual never "happened," so to speak. They never became a couple, but they did become fast friends. Granted, they didn't talk as much as we did, but many I time I saw them sitting back to back, both silent and with open books in their hands.
Several of us got Franny and the entire Jumping department to sign up for sign language lessons over the summer. As it turns out, she's better than all of us at it. And she uses it every time she stops talking now. It really seems to help her.
One certain day this summer, Kelsey brought to a party her friend from Michigan, her friend from Michigan who was tall, attractive, and male.
And completely deaf.
So as Franny's life progressed to its highs, mine began to decline. Hanna told me that at the end of the summer she was moving to the other side of the country due to her father's relocation. It was the summer prior to my senior year, and I applied for the college of my dreams. I was rejected. And I was despondent.
Just like that, it was Franny's turn to help me fix my life. I doubt she had ever overlooked my problems as I had hers, she just knew there was nothing there for her to fix. And suddenly there was. I never asked for Franny's help. She simply offered it and then dumped it in my lap and skipped away. She changed my life in that beautiful way with such silent noise that only she knew how. Because this is what friends like Franny do.
The End


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
267 Reviews


Points: 314
Reviews: 267

Donate
Sat May 18, 2013 6:40 pm
Nike wrote a review...



Why hello there. I'm Nike, nice to meet you and welcome to YWS! As I can see, this is your first story posted on here. I'll be reviewing. If you have any questions/comments/anything to say, you can PM me.



I meant to post the story here and find all the misspellings and grammar mistakes, fix them, so you could see. But there was a problem, there were no mistakes.

This story was magical. Phenomenal. It was beautiful. Oh my God. You can write my friend. This story, about this random place, brought magic. Franny is a beautiful character which Jack seems to cherish oh so much.

The world you created here is, wow, un real. But it's a great un real that I love.

I can't believe this story! It's just so amazing, my brain can't wrap around it! Amazing work! This story, I'll be reading it over and over again.




User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Thu May 16, 2013 12:52 am
tgirly wrote a review...



Yay, you finished it! I will continue my review. Jack is the bestest of friends. Smearing chocolate and stealing traffic cones. Obviously the best way to cheer a girl up.
A deaf dude; that's perfect. But, Jack, he's so sweet, and the only one she can talk around. I know I said it was refreshing that they weren't a thing but I'm starting to wish they were a couple.
No matter how much I LOVE this story, its quirkiness and awesome characters, the ending isn't as great as the rest of it is; it feels a bit rushed and I don't understand how she helped him. I guess it doesn't have to because it's the epilogue but I want a sequal now. Sorry if this review didn't help that much, I really love this story; you've got a lot of talent.




User avatar
68 Reviews


Points: 505
Reviews: 68

Donate
Wed May 15, 2013 11:29 pm
cgirl1118 wrote a review...



Oh I'm crying right now because of the epilogue. *wipes tear* This was just so amazing! You're obviously a wonderful writer. :) Also like @manisha said the classes at the high school sounds awesome! I mean who doesn't like jumping class? :) Also there are no mistakes that I can think of right now. Can't wait for more of your work!

Happy writing,
Cgirl




User avatar
189 Reviews


Points: 398
Reviews: 189

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 7:55 am
manisha wrote a review...



Heyya Dan!

Welcome to YWS!

So I'm reviewing after a really long time, bear with me kindly. :)

I'll start of with how I felt about the story. I enjoyed the read and some parts were very well projected. The introduction in Franny was great and I was really looking forward to seeing how she " mastered the art of loudness by making no sound at all". I was disappointed at that bit. And that bit is big because you have mentioned that this story was about her. The scene begins with her shouting and chattering with her best friend which confuses the character you aimed to give her. You could have mentioned that she was comfortable speaking around Jack at the beginning. But she still doesn't come across as a silent girl because she seems to manage well with Hanna too.

"Great jump!"
I clapped Franny on the shoulder as she brushed her knees off in recovery from her roll that followed her jump off the ledge. She laughed.
"You distracted me, pinbrain!" She yelled.

Maybe you could get rid of yelled? It doesn't help with the character your trying to give her.

Classes called "Jumping of things" "Throwing" "Know Things"? They sound fun! :)

Usually, we talk on. The way to the parking lot, but Fact was present, and Franny was speechless.

I'm not sure if the period after talk on was intentional. If yes get rid of it. The sentence doesn't seem to flow.
The weight if my promise to help fell heavily on me.

You mean weight "of" my promise. Typo.

The bright red front door opened with a cream and out stepped my friend, wearing a casual blue dress, her light brown hair in a braid over her shoulder.

The bright red door opened with a cream? Did you mean creak?

I could actually feel my cheeks hearing up.

Cheeks "heating" up.

I am not a fan of the ending 'cuz i wanted to read more. :) And it also is kinda abrupt.

Overall it was a great read! You have done a great job on writing about the relation between Jack and Franny. I can feel their friendship and I'm able to connect with them. Maybe you can work on Franny more. I already like who she is but we want to see more of why Jack finds her so different in a special kinda way. Are you planning to continue this? You should!

I hope I helped! Feel free to PM me for anymore reviews on any of your works. I would love to!

-
Manisha




User avatar
374 Reviews


Points: 1147
Reviews: 374

Donate
Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 am
tgirly wrote a review...



I'm going to review as I go here.
The part about not noticing another person's life isn't perfect until yours is is really beautiful and deep, but it kind of makes the reader dislike the pov character a bit, just because it makes him sound like he doesn't care about anyone else until it's convenient for him to. I'm not saying you should remove it, it's tough because it's so true but it's kind of bad placement because it's the first thing we learn about the pov character and it's not the type of imperfection a person can fall in love with.
In the first few sentences of part one, I'm confused, because you said in the intro that Franny was this really REALLY quiet girl, and now she's kinda chattering. I'm exaggerating, but maybe you should trim back her part of the dialogue or put into the intro that she can talk around Jackson, just not others, I don't know.
I love the deodorant part. "That's man-deodorant." Funniest thing I've read all day. Just reading the description of Factual, I am now one of those girls who things him attractive in a cute-nerd sort of way. AWESOME character.
From what I've read so far, I wouldn't say Frannie has a speech impediment because that's more like stuttering or something; Frannie doesn't have trouble saying stuff, she has more trouble thinking of the right words to say.
I really thought you were going to have Jack and Frannie together; I love the view-point change from one of the two in the relationship to the meddlesome friend trying to make it work out; a nice change.
I LOVE part two. Awesomeness everywhere. Pure awesomeness. I loved the descriptions of Frannie's house, the movie theater, the popcorn, I fangirl-squealed as Fannie leaned into Factual's shoulder, I seconded Jack's 'atta girl', I hit a sudden brick wall with the last sentence what just happened???!!!???
Cliffhanger of the century. You are an awesome person for writing this awesome story. Mindnumbing awesomeness.





Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury