Splashin’ Waters

by Danni88

“Come on, Maia!” Eve laughed.

Maia pulled her T-shirt off over her head and put her swimming goggles on. “Coming!” She scrambled up to the top of the high rock and dived into the water.

It was deliciously warm. Maia surfaced, giggling, then shrieked and just had time to hold her breath before Eve dunked her under.

She plunged back above the surface, gasping for breath. “Oh, you’re going to regret that, sis.” She threw herself at Eve, who flicked her finger and vanished. Maia bellyflopped into the water.

Eve appeared on the rock, laughing. “Can’t catch me, Mai!”

Maia grinned and gave up. “Hey, let’s imagine we’re celebs in Spain.” She transformed her sporty swimming costume into a gorgeous bikini and swapped her goggles for a pair of Ray-Bans.

Eve burst out laughing. "I wish. Hey, look, I'm Taylor Windrush." She hauled herself out of the water and struck a weird pose on the rock.

Maia hid a smile. "You look utterly ridiculous."

"Well, so does she," Eve pointed out. "Honestly, she thinks she looks hot but she looks like she's in the throes of death."

Maia snorted. "Tell me about it. Race you to the other end?"

"You betcha!" Eve slid down from the rock. "I'll count us in. Ready... steady..... cabbage!"

Maia shot off and was a quarter of the way down the lake before she heard Eve shouting, "CHEAT! I DIDN'T SAY GO!"

She glared at her sister. "You're the cheat!" Maia swum back to the rock.

"OK, for real this time." Eve giggled. "Ready.. steady... go-karts!"

Maia exploded out into the water again but quickly stopped herself. "EVE JASMINE SILVERTONGUE, I AM GOING TO MURDER YOU!"

Eve was laughing so hard she almost drowned and had to grab hold of the rock. "Alright, keep your hair on. I'll do it properly this time. On the River Styx."

"Finally," Maia snapped, making her way back.

"Ready... steady... go!" Eve yelled. The sisters swam off as fast as they could. At first Eve was in the lead, but Maia was quickly catching up. At the last minute, she pulled ahead and reached the other end just before her sister.

"Yes!" She punched the air triumphantly.

Eve grinned. “That was a fluke.”

“No it wasn’t. I always beat you in swimming races.”

“True.” Eve shrugged. She looked up at the horizon, which was bathed in a warm red light. “We should go. It’s getting late, and Aunt Lou will kill us if we miss the Lord’s dinner.”

The two princesses clambered out of the water and flumped down on the side of the lake.

“It’s nice to get away, isn’t it?” said Maia, magically drying herself and putting her T-shirt and shorts back on. “To have a break from all the world-saving.”

Eve nodded. “This is the most fun I’ve had in ages. Just like the old days.”

They linked arms and strolled back up the hill, in the direction of the palace.

One more before bed!

1. When you're writing a short story, it's even more important to set the scene than in a novel as you have to engage the reader even quicker than normal. So maybe add a few sentences at the beginning describing the location/ scene.

There's not much to critique here and this is a cute short but there's no actual conflict to it so it's not the most interesting read. It's nice to see the characters play about a bit but as a standalone piece, it's missing the sense of danger or wonder that would bring it alive. I think one way you could add some conflict would be through Maia's internal thoughts - she's having fun now but is she concerned about upcoming events or still worried about a recent fight? If you could imprint over this a sense that the full will inevitably have to end then that would create a nice contrast between the carefree present and the darkening past/ future.

I think some more description of the girls and their surroundings would also help and focus on keeping it sensory - how does the air smell around the pool? Is it a sort of marshy area or more like a hot spring/ oasis? What are the girls' next plans? Are they killing time while they plot on offensive? What's the most pressing matter for them right now?

I think it's difficult to write shorts like these which use characters from established stories which you're working on because you've got used to writing in such a way that you expect the reader to already know the characters and understand their world. In a short like this unfortunately you have to work harder because you have to write as if the reader were coming to those characters for the first time. It may help you to read author's side story collections, like Cassandra Clare has two collections which focus on small short stories about the characters that also work as standalone and she does a great job at re-introducing the characters for anyone who hasn't read her main books while not making it dull for those who have.

See you again soon!

~Heather

Danni88 says...

Thanks! I actually wrote this for a competition.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey Danni!

I'm Elinor, and I'm just dropping by to review your work today. What I liked about this story is that it was simple, feel good, and it followed the prompt well. It definitely brought me back to a simpler time in my own life and the days I would spend camping and swimming. I also liked how the bond between Eve and Maia was portrayed; I could definitely tell that they were close!

Where I'm struggling with your story right now is there isn't any conflict. The two girls go to the lake, swim for a little bit, tease each other, and then they go back. Every story should have some conflict, because that's what makes them interesting, otherwise it's just the boring bits of life we already experience. I see a couple places where you could expand on this if you so desire, but nothing ever comes to fruition. When Eve says at the end that their day was "just like the old days", it made me wonder about why they haven't been able to have a day like this in a while.

I was also a little confused as to the time and place of the story, and who exactly these girls are. They're princesses, but they also save the world, and you mention the River Styx of Greek Mythology too. But you also refer to go karts. Are the girls two ordinary girls who were playing make believe? I wasn't sure.

Just some questions to consider both for this piece and in the future. I enjoyed reading it! Good luck, and please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Elinor

Danni88 says...

Thanks! This was actually for a YWS Summer Camp competition.

shaniac wrote a review...

Hello, shaniac here to review your piece!

I like this short story. It's full of humor and the two characters that you presented are full of life. It's a nice little read (and it reminds me that I have to write my story still :P). I do think at the beginning of this short story, there should be a small background with the two because you promptly just put two characters into the short story without much explanation until the very end. With putting it in the beginning, it can make the story run smoother and maybe even add a small bit of description to the characters, as that too can help make it run smoother.

There is a lot of dialogue in here, which is usually fine. But I would try to add some plot in this story to actually make it work. With plot, you can build up the character's personality and set the stage for what can happen next. I can kind of see more of this short story in terms of the two sisters going on an adventure together because you mention that they are princesses that save the world.

Honestly, she thinks she looks hot but she looks like she's in the throes of death.

I'm going to focus on the word 'throes'. I had to look up the definition because I didn't know the word prior to this, but I don't think it fits with what you are describing. In my view, I think you could describe her as being someone who looks like they hang around with death or something similar. That can also give a bit of visual on how Taylor may look like.

I like the dialogue between Maia and Eve as they are racing. I don't have any siblings but my friends do and it strongly reminds me of their bickering.

To cap, I really liked this story. I can kind of see it being a child's picture book. You should work on a bit of background and descriptions for the characters. And with the dialogue part, kind of cut down on it so you can have some action in there. Have a good day/night and if you have any questions, let me know!

*cries into coffee*
— LadyLizz