Restarting

by DaggerChild89

They named me Genesis, my parents did. The beginning.

I can’t help but think about the irony as I stand here watching the end.

The observation deck is empty and silent, but brilliantly lit by the fiery explosions upon decrepit, lava-riddled Xandir. I, silver-haired, dark-eyed, stare out the window. Wondering. Endlessly wondering.

What now?

Where to?

And how?

“Gen.”

I inwardly sigh as, my complex train of thought broken, I turn to see Aspere standing on the upper level, long caramel curls braided over one shoulder.

“It’s time.”

My heart stops, twisted. “Asp…”

She lowers her eyes, but nods. “It’s almost gone, Gen.”

I turn back for one final gaze at the planet that raised me for seventeen years.

People talk about time slowing down, time stopping for one particular, precious moment where they just thought. I never believed them, thinking that it was a concept, a trick of speech adapted from readers and the like.

That is, I never believed them up till now. For time froze, just for me.

Scenes streak across my senses: forgotten memories, broken dialogue, sunlight and moondark against the numbness of my brain. Contrasts, contradictions. I know I have to go, but where am I going? Fear becomes cotton fibers, twisting and catching in my chest. I can’t breathe. I have no home. At least, not anymore.

I am lost, drifting anchorless in an infinite sea of stars. I can’t, won’t survive.

And yet, I think of the countless others who have sailed across such a sea. Some, for survival like me. Others, for much higher purposes. Heights I could never aspire to. Kings, queens, heroes, villains, ordinary folk. Oh, some brave souls surely flung themselves outward, branding themselves forever roamers among the galaxies. Others set their sights on a specific destination, calculating and strategizing every step of the way until arrival. And still others, like me, terrified and forced to flee, drifted until they found their new, eternal home.

A new home.

A new beginning.

“Genesis.”

I blink, and time relaxes into its chronological flow once more. Aspere stares down at me, and for the first time, I notice tears in her dark blue gaze.

“C-come on. We have to go.” She turns abruptly and half-walks, half-runs to the door.

I nod, and, as I follow in her wake, look over my shoulder.

Marla’i avaurn, Xandir.” Goodbye, Xandir.

Sometime in the near future, I and my people will find a new, strange world. We’ll land, explore, settle, and generally survive. We’ll live and flourish and become the second Xandi.

But who cares about the future. About survival.

All that matters at the moment is that I found a diamond in the midst of despair.

I am the beginning in the end.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 am
lelu wrote a review...

Hello! I am a new member just entering the site. I uploaded a new work of mine minutes ago and now am trying to get enough points to upload more. This is not to say that I am not interested in your work--I'm happy to have new things to read. Now for the review--I like the part about your home planet, your realistic future for the human race. I like Genesis' name, and Aspere is cool too. The few problems here are your overuse of description and simile. A good story is powerful enough to speak for itself, without the author writing pretty words and saying to the reader, "Please will you do my job for me." I don't say your story is bad--I liked it. The only thing I would change is your overstatement of the obvious. You already had a good story.

Feltrix wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here to review. Of course. Why else would it say that I wrote a review? Anyway, here goes.

I.

Wondering. Endlessly wondering.
It's always better to use the least possible amount of adverbs. In this case, you could replace 'endlessly' with 'forever' and have the meaning be the same.

II. Okay, so, through the work you're pretty brief in your wording which works well for you, but it could be very beneficial if you added some more in depth descriptions of the dying planet (I assume it's a planet) of Xandir or the space ship (I assume Genesis is on a space ship). If I'm wrong about either of these things, you should probably be more specific.

III. Don't use bold. The reader is smart enough to usually figure out what to put emphasis on. If you must, use italics, but don't use bold.

IV. When you talk about time freezing, everything is a little bit confusing and I'm not entirely sure what is happening that slows down time.

So, overall, I really liked this story. I liked how we focused mostly on Genesis's perception of the world rather than what's actually happening. I like how what actually happened is a bit vague while we're still given just enough information to understand what's happening. That being said, I suggest adding just a little more info so that the reader gets enough information to visualize things. One suggestion I would make would be to have the planet be Earth so the readers feel more of a connection to it, even though I rather like the name Xandir. At the end, I don't really feel like Genesis did find any hope, any diamond, but I do understand the whole 'beginning in the end' thing, and I actually like how the entire process will probably repeat millions or billions of years in the future when the new planets inevitably become inhospitable. One thing that I am a bit unsure about is Aspere's role. She seems like she's important to Genesis, but it's never explained how. I'd either giver Aspere more story or just replace her with a nameless, faceless character so that she doesn't draw attention from Genesis.

Feltrix

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:57 am
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...

Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking hot cocoa and being a slacker. *Grim looks over, glaring* So, lets get started. :smt020

So, first thing I notice is that the first line would read better if you were to put "They named me Genesis, my parents did at the beginning." Instead of "They named me Genesis, my parents did. The beginning." Another thing is that the second line should join the first and have a comma after the first line. Also, where you bolded the word "thought" italics it. Do not bold it. ever.

I LOVED this. No argument. None. I need a second chapter STAT. Tag me when you publish it please!

Overall, I loved the poem and keep up the good work! Happy Halloween! I really need to go now Grim has souls to reap and he needs more cocoa. He has a problem, seriously. Cheerio and fruit loops to you!

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:42 am
Cub wrote a review...

So, this is a good concept, and I think it made for an interesting story. However, there are a couple of issues. When reading the story, I sort of assumed Genesis was a girl. However, after reading other reviews, I learned that wasn't the regular opinion of readers. You might want to provide some more clues. Moving on from that, however, I do like the choice of 'Genesis' as a name. It's a smart idea, and makes the story more clear and interesting.
As for your writing, there were a couple of problems. "They named me Genesis, my parents did." I understand why you used this method of speech--it provides rhythm. However, it also gives the wrong feeling. I imagine a far more conversational story, a sort of farmer-talking-about-crops story from this. I don't think that is the image you're trying to put out. It should be simplified to "My parents named me Genesis." This makes the next phrase more clear. There are multiple other phrases like this, phrases that are simply unclear and hard to understand. Work on simplifying your style, and improving it in that way. Other than that, I think this story is good. Your writing has a nice poetic quality to it, and is very enjoyable. Keep working, and good luck!

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

I love the dream-like meditative, melancholic, introspective mood. Also how the protagonist’s name is made to dovetail with the situation and its ending. I also enjoyed how he is having kaleidoscopic memory flashbacks. Thanks for sharing.

Suggestion:

The statement "who cares?" after the intense dramatic monologue comes across as too flippant. Especially since we haven't been told why the female is special to him.

One thing that is considered essential to all flash fiction stories are endings that leave the reader emotionally moved. I think that the key to finding that trick ending in this story depends on who Aspere really turns out to be and why Genesis considers her special. Flashbacks Genesis has during the planet’s destruction might be used to hint at the strange reason or reasons.

Thanks for the review! Just a note, Genesis is female as well and Aspere, although she is a friend, wasn't supposed to be anything more than a background character. Sorry if that was confusing :/. The main focus was Gen struggling to but eventually finding the ability and courage to enter a new phase of her life. "Who cares" was basically just Gen turning and facing the wind.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, DaggerChild89! Welcome to YWS! I'm Pan and I'll be reviewing your work today.

First things first: I really liked this. While there are aspects about it that need ironing out, I think you've got a brilliantly engaging writing style; it's snappy, varied and full of tone. The idea is a good one, and I particularly like how this feels like a snapshot of a larger story. It's the kind of thing you could easily develop or continue. That said, if you're anything like me, you'll like dipping your toe into huge writing universes and then never touching them again.

I'm going to start with nitpicks and then close with some overall thoughts. I'm probably going to get quite vigorous seeing as this is so good, but remember to take all of my suggestions with a grain of salt. Not too big a grain, of course. :P

Small Comments

...but brilliantly lit by the fiery explosions upon decrepit, lava-riddled Xandir. I, silver-haired, dark-eyed, stare out the window.

1) I don't think the expression is strong enough in that first part. 'The fiery explosions upon decrepit, lava-riddled Xandir' lacks something - I feel like it could do with a punchy verb in there somewhere. If you talked about the fiery explosions starbursting their way across Xanadir, or about them tearing the planet to pieces and popping like shells, the imagery might have more strength. It's up to you how you do it, but rephrase the line.

2) You lean towards being too obviously expository here as well. Why do we need to know he's got silver hair and dark eyes? More's the point, why would a first person narrator even think about their hair and eye colour while watching their planet explode?

Wondering. Endlessly wondering.

What now?

Where to?

And how?

“Gen.”

Loved this bit. The line breaks really work.

my complex train of thought broken

He wasn't thinking of anything that complex so this adjective seems quite out of place.

People talk about time slowing down, time stopping for one particular, precious moment where they just thought.

I'd represent emphasis with italics rather than bold. It's just much more standard.

That is, I never believed them up till now. For Time froze, just for me.

A ridiculously picky point, but I feel like 'for' upsets the rhythm here. I prefer it without, but it's completely up to you.

Scenes streak across my senses: forgotten memories, broken dialogue, sunlight and moondark against the numbness of my brain. Contrasts, contradictions.

I'd prefer if you actually gave us some specific memories rather than just saying that he had them. It's a lovely, well-paced sentence, but it's pretty objective and doesn't really draw me in emotionally. Given that this narrative is so short, it would be good to get some tiny flashes of insight into what Gen remembers from his home planet. Keep it brief, of course - we don't want full-on flashbacks - but a few scattered clauses detailing images from his past could be very effective.

I know I have to go, but where am I going? Fear becomes cotton fibers, twisting and catching in my chest. I can’t breathe. I have no home. At least, Not anymore.

Brilliant section. You're great at capturing the clipped style that you need for panicked narration, and your variation of sentence structure is almost musical. I'd only suggest getting rid of 'at least' because it takes some of the punch away from that final sentence, but it's your decision.

Some, for survival like me. Others, for much higher purposes.

You don't need either of these commas.

new, strange world.

I feel like 'strange new world' is the more natural adjective order here. Told you I was being picky.

This is maybe a bit on the nose? I don't have any suggestions for what to put in its place, but it feels like you're stressing the story's conclusion a bit too hard. It pushes it into overly-sentimental territory. We should be able to understand what's happened in the story without it having to be summed up at the end.

Overall Comments

1) The biggest strength of this piece is undoubtedly the style. Obviously, style can't flourish without substance, which this story does have, but the voice and sentence control go a long way to selling the concept. I feel like Gen is talking to me. I can hear him. You should be pleased with that.

2) Idea-wise, I like it, though it is difficult to pull off the emotional impact in such a short piece. Nevertheless, I think it's wise that you didn't stretch this out, because this kind of idea - where a character is accepting their fate and can't do anything to change it - loses impact if it's extended for too long. I wrote a strikingly similar story to this once and drew it out too much, so I speak from experience. Nevertheless, I think you could maybe do with a few more references to personal information and memories, just so that we can connect slightly more with what Gen has lost.

To be honest, I don't think I have a great deal more to say. As a snapshot, I think it works. It's perhaps not quite developed enough to be a standalone story, as it doesn't have that element of jeopardy that, for me, substantial short fiction needs. Even if Gen hadn't got the peace of mind that he desperately wanted, it wouldn't have made any difference to his situation, so the conflict doesn't feel particularly perilous. Nevertheless, not all short fiction has to have this kind of jeopardy. As an insight into a character's mind, it's great.

I'll leave the review here! I hope to read more from you, as I think you're a really promising writer. Let me know if there's anything unclear about this review or if you want feedback about any specific part of the piece that I didn't touch on.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it and will definitely be able to use it in the future, especially the parts about being too expository, as I tend to do that. The only thing that bothered me (and this is probably stupid) is that Genesis is actually a girl. I should have mentioned that while writing the shot, completely slipped my mind. Oh well, mea culpa XD. Thanks again!

Panikos says...

Oh, that's interesting! I guess it's because the name is quite ambiguous. It's odd how you assume a narrator is a certain gender when you're left without cues. Still, her gender isn't essential to the story, so I wouldn't worry too much about it! :)

Radrook says...

I considered that gender possibility and was about to include it in the review but somehow it got omitted. But as you say, it really doesn't change the outcome.

Opportunity does not knock, it presents itself when you beat down the door.
— Kyle Chandler